Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• famousamosfamousamos Posts: 2
    The problem I had with my G35 has been solved but I thought other G35 owners might be interested in hearing about it. Bought my G35 w/leather April 27. The next day the "service engine soon" light came on. I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it checked out. Two error messages came up, both pertaining to the transmission. The transmission shifted fine but one of the messages indicated a bad board in the transmission control unit. I'm not sure what the other error message was but Infiniti installed a new transmission and transmission control unit. The car was in the shop for nine days. I live in Alabama and the transmission came by truck from California so it took awhile to get here. It appears to be shifting fine. The experience hasn't changed my mind about the car, just one of those things, I guess.
  • jvalenty1jvalenty1 Posts: 1
    I ordered my G35 at Discover in San Diego on Apr 27. Having a hard time waiting. I appreciate all the info available on this forum.

thanks guys!
  • yongbryongbr Posts: 6
    I have noticed that the G35 does not have a means to hang my clothes. My infiniti dealer did not even notice it until I mentioned it. Has anybody else heard about this?
  • jethrog35jethrog35 Posts: 14
    To the right and left of the trunk, just behind the tail lights, the interior trunk liner is run fairly close to the outside body panel. BEWARE, this liner is only upholstery!

I've recently had the unpleasant experience of carrying some fairly heavy objects in the trunk (small lawn ornaments) and had one shift in the trunk, banging against the inner lining and denting the outside quarter panel.

Cost: $325 (Cdn) to have the rear quarter panel fixed and re-sprayed.

Once fixed, I'm going to buy some styrofoam to stuff between the inner trunk liner and the outside body panel. I'm hoping that this will help protect against a similar incident (sliding golf clubs perhaps?) from occurring again.

My old Celica had a stiff plastic trunk lining, so this was never an issue. Perhaps some of those "hard interior plastics" that many reviewers complain about would have been well placed in the trunk liner.
  • jvalentyjvalenty Posts: 41
    Thanks, I carry lots of odds and ends in my trunk and would never have thought of this safeguard. A testament to the value of this and other forums... Amen.
  • mdurenmduren Posts: 5
    Not sure if this is news or not, but according to my local sales manager, Nissan has been aware of the A/C problem for about a month and has been actively pursuing a fix or correction of some sort (different compressor, bearings, whatever.) Apparently, they have identified a preliminary fix that is currently being tested in Texas. He suggested they might know something more in a month or so.
  • weathereweathere Posts: 2
    Yongbr, I also noticed the lack of a coat hook. Very irritating every morning as I throw my suit jacket on the back seat.

I wrote Infiniti about this today, suggesting they send the parts to all owners. I'll let you know what they say.

This must be an oversight, right?
  • cia1cia1 Posts: 3
    You can get a plastic clothes hook that will hook over the handle above the window. Obviously not a "factory look" but it works. Our laundry gives them away. Also check at stores like The Container Store or Everything Organized. They have lots of little do-das that might work.

Doubt Infinity goofed and left it out. More like they figured we didn't need one.
  • Does the transmission ever shift into 5th by itself? How come everytime I push to manual gate even at highway speed the display always show 4th? Or does it downshift to 4th automatically at highway when you push into manual gate?
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
    When going into manual mode the transmission always goes into fourth gear which is very practical because you can do it at any time. Once done you can shift to any gear and the transmission will only shift up to the selected gear. actually a very good system!

Paul
  • dfd3dfd3 Posts: 57
    Hi All!

I am one of those owners experiencing loud a/c compressor noise. Thought I would bring you all up to date: I just got back from the dealer and they installed a new compressor. The service tech told me that this is essentially a "temporary" fix. The compressor is still loud but not as bad as the original. He stated that Infiniti knows it has a problem with the G35 compressors and they are working on a more permanent solution. I will probably have to take it in at a later date once Infiniti comes up with the correct solution. For now, the compressor is a bit louder than normal but better than it was. It also cools well and they told me that it was okay to drive. I'll post any further info and y'all (I am a Texan) do the same.
  • cpranger22cpranger22 Posts: 21
    New G35 owners if your compass doesn't work immediately when you first get it, drive (slowiy) in a circle a few times and then it should give you a reading.
  • khl68khl68 Posts: 10
    I'm hearing this annoying "clicking" noise coming from the seat belt buckle everytime I step on the brake or move in my seat... anyone else hearing the same annoying noise or experiencing any similiar problem.
  • dane4dane4 Posts: 107
    Yes indeed khl,

I have this same clicking noise and it has been mentioned several times in the main G35 forum on this board... I'm not certain what it is, but Infiniti is apparently aware of it as an issue, and the standing procedure appears to be to replace the entire female portion of the seta belt latch...

It almost sounds more like a tiny solenoid actuating back and forth that becomes particularly noticeable when stepping on the brake at slow speeds (or maybe the sound is just more easily heard when the cabin is very quiet)

My G35 is due in for the 2nd service very soon and I will most definitely have them swap out the latch. Its one of those needly minor things, but it can be like chinese water torcher when driving in stop and go traffic for long periods of time :)

Just to let you know, you're not going crazy, but the sound just may drive you there :)

Faenor/Dane4
  • faenorfaenor Posts: 99
    Gads! I can't believe I wrote "torcher" instead of torture in the previous post! LOL! I must have been really really sleepy.... ZZZZzzzz....
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    I also have the annoying seat belt click when starting and stopping. I guess lack of road noise in these cars makes these minor things obvious. I also have a click coming from the passenger side speakers when listening to music with deep/clear bass at medium volumes. It is one of those things most people won't notice unless they really like music, or are in the car a lot. I currently have a loaner G35 (more to follow) that does the same thing. Does anyone else experience this?
    Well, yest. 5/31/02 Fri. I got into my G and cranked her up. I immediately noticed a brighter than usual display of lights from the center control panel (stereo, heater/AC control area). It was 5:00am so it was still dark. Anyway, Almost all of the heat/ac panel lights were lit up and the stereo back light was not working. The stereo was playing, but would not respond to the buttons on the center control. It would not turn off, change channels, change volume nothing. But, when using the steering wheel controls It would respond. Also the temp was set at 74 degrees and would not change, the fan would not change speeds, and I could not even turn it off.
    Called Infiniti locally (Bradshaw in Greenville SC) and they were immediately responsive. Bring it right in they said. I had to wait until lunch due to my schedule. I went in, they put me in a nearly identicle G 35 as a loaner and told me to keep it until they found the problem. This will include a weekend trip out of town and about 500mi of driving. They called me back and told me that it was fixed and I could pick it up. I could not make it by the 6:00 o clock closing, so they told me not to worry just come in Mon AM.
    The problem apparently was one of the buttons on the center control panel had become "stuck" on and this sent it into a lock down mode. They reset it by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins. I have a new center panel on order, but it may take a while to get here.
    Man the Infiniti service experience sure beats the H*#! out of my experiences with Ford, GM in the past. I was always treated like a criminal, idiot, and liar in those service trips. The premium has proven to be well worth it already. Still Smilin car at 2700k miles in less than 1 month.
  • mdurenmduren Posts: 5
    I had the same problem on my driver's side seat belt buckle. I brought the car in for service and they ordered and then replaced the buckle. I have not had the problem since then.
  • stsurbrookstsurbrook Posts: 285
    Regarding your word of warning. Have you contacted Infiniti about this problem? It does seem to be a fairly important one that they might want to know about and, who knows, they might even compensate you for it?!? :)

Scott
    Went to Infiniti today and the service manager heard the loud compressor noise. He said that they were working on a fix but they haven't found it yet. I asked him if they had that issue come up with any of the cars they sold and he said mine was the first at the San Diego dealership. I asked him to replace mine while waiting for a fix and he ordered one and said it will be installed either Friday or Monday. The noise is very loud and comes in above 2,500 rpm. Hope this works because it sure takes the fun out of driving the G. Will post any results!

Paul
  • lennyhlennyh Posts: 1
    I have the same driver side seat belt clicking noise. I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to hopefully get it fixed.

I also have a problem with the sunshade not closing smoothly or fitting snug up against the headliner on one side. Hopefully that will be fixed as well.

I will post results.

Lenny
  • faenorfaenor Posts: 99
    My 7500 mile service is right around the corner and so I'll most definitely have them check the compressor and the change the latch on the seat belt... the seat belt thing is minor, but can be annoying... but the compressor intermittently becomes very loud in operation (it sounds like an extremely loud buzzing sheetmetal heat shield or something) And strangely enough, it only happens in the ECON and not in the normal full A/C mode. Maybe that has something to do with vibration only at a particular loading level.

I wrote to Infiniti about the compressor noise also, and the very next day, I got a reply saying that they were sorry for the problems I was having and that they had logged the complaint in their public database of comments and concerns... Nothing though acknowledging that it was a known problem, but I'll get it taken care of when the car goes in for service.

I've had great service so far from Infiniti, so hopefully it won't be a problem...

Regards!

Faenor/Dane4
    Update on noise:

Am waiting to replace my compressor, hopefully today Friday 6/7.

Yesterday the noise got about twice as loud and sounds off over 1500 rpm instead of the 2500 rpm it has been. Talked to the service manager Tom in San Diego yesterday and he said we had better get on it before it blows up completely. The noise is now at least twice as loud as the motor and is a real bummer. Tom said he is communicating with a dealer in Hawaii who said two out of five are making noise mostly when cold. Mine sounds off when the motor is cold or hot. Sounds like the G has a real problem with this. The temp here was 94 yesterday and I have to use the air conditioner all the time.
    My compressor has had the rattle when in use since new. Awaiting a fix. I have noticed another annoyance. The trim piece around the ingintion switch is poorly finished. My paint has worn off already in an area where the key contacts the plastic. It has left a black color visible. I hope a trim fix will arrive.
    I only have the Infiniti Key and Key Fob on this set.
    Took my car in to have the A/C compressor replaced with a new one that they ordered from Los Angeles. They replaced the compressor and the noise was just the same. They then took a compressor from a new car on their lot that they knew was ok and that didn’t work either. They checked three others and they were all ok. They thought it might be the pulley and replaced that. No workee!
    They had 4 mechanics working on it and finally gave up. Our car is now living at the dealers waiting for an expert from Los Angeles to look at it. Spoke with customer service and she said there had been no complaints about this. Probably all the compressors are ok but it is something else. What can it be?

Paul
    El Cajon, CA
  • tlrhlrtlrhlr Posts: 17
    I have one too. Anyone know if Infiniti has put a bulletin out on this yet? So far, this is my only problem. 450 miles so far. First tank -18.2 MPG, 50/50 highway/city. Driving her like grandpa until 1000 mi.
  • c3po33c3po33 Posts: 60
    I got mine fixed and it has not bothered me again. My fix is posted on fresh allow follow link:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=25&t=001023&p=

Talked to Tom the service manager at Discovery Infiniti in San Diego on Monday. He said the fix is the fan amplifier which is located in the dash and controls the compressor. He said the fix should come through in about three weeks which can't be too soon as I hate the noise which gets loud at times and not as loud at other times. To those with the problem it may be wise to contact your dealer and get on the list for updates.

Paul