Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

will4271will4271 Posts: 187
I haven't heard much of mechanical mishaps of the MDX.

Anyone have anything to share and/or ways to fix it?
Tagged:

Comments

• wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    The most common problem in the first year was "the thud" (front suspension noise) and "weeping mirrors" (water dripping from the mirrors). TSB's were issued during the first year with fixes, and 2002's seem okay.

Some people claim to hear some suspension noise but it's hard to verify how bad it is -- most vehicles have some kind of suspension noise.

I have seen a number of folks with oil leaks or transmission leaks, probably the result of bad seals during the assembly process. Doesn't seem to be too widespread but I've seen more than three of them. I keep an eye for anything on the garage floor.

Consumer Reports assessment of the MDX, based on initial surveys, is "above average." Not as high as the mature RX300 but pretty good. The newer models should be even better though not perfect (more complex vehicle than the average Civic or Accord, Ontario plant that hasn't yet achieved super-high quality-control levels, etc.).
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I thought I heard it last night? I was expecting it, so maybe I imagined it? I hit the brakes and make a quick right turn into a parking lot. I was thinking maybe it was the "thud", the spare moving? or my imagination. Time will tell.
    One problem with the "thud" is that it's pretty easy to hear any kind of noise and interpret it as the problem. I'm not questioning that you may have heard something, but I've seen some people imagining the strangest things from the power of suggestion!

Remember that the MDX has the infamous problem inherited from the Odyssey -- the sloshing gas tank noise. I don't believe the 2002's correct this either.

There are some relatively smaller nits with the MDX. "Nicked door pillars" is one. The material on the inside of the B-pillar is some textured plastic, and if you let your seatbelt fly off the buckle can make a little nick in it. Adds up over time. Shame on Acura for not putting some better soft material on the inside of the B-pillar. Dealers have been known to replace the material under warranty. Owners who know about it tend not to let the buckle fly when they take off the belt.
    The 2002 does not have the mirror problem. I got a car wash today without any dripping.
    Exactly, the 2002's do not have the problem. At least not weeping mirrors. Some folks have reported a very small amount of drip but not more than a lot of other mirrors on the market.

The "weeping mirrors" was a LOT more pronounced, and very irritating. You'd wash the car or it would rain, and day later it'd be slowly dripping water down the side of the vehicle. Depending on the hardness of the water and your paint color, sometimes it'd even leave a stain.

FWIW, I've had my MDX since early October 2000 and have never noticed a weeping mirror problem. And we live in the Seattle area, which is no stranger to rain! Guess I was lucky.
  • dlabeaudlabeau Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my 2002 MDX where the front windows are getting wet on the inside. If the outside of the car gets wet (rain, car wash) and I use the windows, I have noticed that as soon as I roll up the window the inside is completely wet! Yes, that is correct, the inside of the windows! I don't even need to roll the window down completely. In fact I have shown the dealership that if you roll the window down even 1 inch, then roll it back up again, the bottom inside 1 inch of the window will be wet!

I have had the dealership look at this problem. They sent my MDX through the car wash and replicated the problem. They then sent 2 brand new MDXs through the wash and the same problem occurred. After consulting with their Technical Center they were told that the problem had been reported before, by other dealerships, and there was currently no known fix. The local service center manager then contacted his friend, who owns an MDX, and was told that he also has this problem. That's fairly significant to have 4 out of 4 cars tested show this problem. Acura technicians have even told me they are not sure Acura is going to fix this problem and they have no way of finding out!

Do you have the same problem? Drop me an email at dlabeau@charter.net
    Interesting. How wet? Do you think wet enough to cause long term problems with the motors? I got a car wash last weekend. Rolled the window down to tip the towel guy and noticed the outside was wet, but not the inside? I wasn't really looking though. I will have to check this weekend? Maybe the window weatherstripping doesn't seal tight enough or needs 2 layers (like the edge of a wiper blade)? If the weatherstripping needs to be replaced, that seems like an easy fix. Much better than major drivetrain problem.
    I went out in the rain tonight and did not have this problem? I will check the car wash this weekend for good measure. Maybe your dealer has a high pressure wash that aggravates this issue?

I do notice that the rear window doesn't stay clear, maybe I will have to add the rear spoiler down the line to see if that can keep the rain/dirt from getting on the window while driving.
    Well, I got a car wash first thing this morning. I dropped the window an inch and....nothing. However, I kept at it, when I dropped it all the way, and then raised it, I got some water, enough to leave a residue on the front foot, so just enough dirt/grime that when looking at the side mirror that it was annoying after a car wash. I think it was just from the outside weatherstripping coming in contact with the inside part? The window was not wet. If I was overly thorough, and checked the upper front of the window, after lowering it an inch, the same thing would be present. Not alarming though, the outside weatherstripping is wet after a car wash, if when lowered both sides touch, they spread water?

Anyway this is what I found...don't lower the window when raining or after a car wash.
  • rwwdjwrwwdjw Posts: 8
    i typically get a prettyloud sound from front of vehicle in the a.m. when going out of driveway; sounds like something is loose. don't udually hear it later in day. anyone else have it? i called acura service and they said they haven't heard about it.
    Sounds like you may have the infamous "thud". It is apparently fixed on late 2001's and on 2002's. Either that or there's something loose, in which case the dealer should be able to find it by looking underneath.

Best to take the vehicle into your dealer and have them look at it.

Here is the TSB:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2811

I was watching motorweek on speedvision. They did their one year update on the MDX. One of the few repairs they had done was tightening up a couple of suspension bolts? I wonder if there was some issues with improper torque settings from the factory?
    I'm a bit suspicious of the Honda/Acura Ontario plant in general. Doesn't seem to have problems with Canadian-market EL's, but the Odyssey had teething problems, and there seem to have been some assembly glitches in the first-year MDX's. Granted the vehicles they're building (except the EL) are more complicated than the Civics and Accords being built at Honda's U.S. plants. But I've seen occasional (not very frequent) reports of bad seals.

I saw that Motor Trend report too. They were very positive, and even showed the MDX on a light off-road course.
  • KingbergKingberg Posts: 2
    I have a brand new MDX. I notice only at cold start, that if I (forwrad) roll out of my driveway in Neutral and shift into D5 during the slow roll, the transmission yields a 'thud' going into gear. This does not recur once the vehicle is warmed-up. Anyone else experience this symptom??
    What I don't know is how loud or deep your thud is. Sort of like describing symptoms to a doctor.

Some transmission noise upon shifting to drive is to be expected, but I don't know if it's abnormal in your case. Best to demonstrate it to a dealer's service tech and let them judge.
    seems logical. I would think the engine fluids are warming up. If you are rolling and the transmission fluid hasn't warmed up yet, it might bne slowing gear movement slightly, thus a little out of sync and a thud. No scientific proof, but I imagine it is just the engine (flywheel or part that connects to transmission) and the gears spinning at different speeds.
    The 2002s have not corrected the problem as mentioned earlier. I think that may be the cause of a thud I think I noticed? It seems more apparent when you just start up, rather than after a while on the road? I wonder if it is a pressurization thing?
  • bdillmanbdillman Posts: 1
    My MDX is currently at the Dealership for the 3rd time regarding the same issue. A noise "flickering" when you approach 40 MPR and take your foot off the gas-Consistently. I have been told that it is a internal transfer case (gear)issue yet it took 3 weeks to get a part? Apparrently rare. Anyone heard of this issue? I have unfortunately experienced extremely poor customer service and although I initially loved my MDX, my feelings are beginning to dwindle:(
  • dmz616dmz616 Posts: 17
    After driving our 02 Touring MDX (17" Tires) 9K miles across country and on gravel/unpaved roads, noted many, many paint chips/dings behind the Acura rear mud guards on the bottom of the side bumper (both sides). Apparently, the rear mud guard are not long enough to deflect stones; looks like a design defect. Will see what dealer service has to say. Anyone else noticed the same? Any aftermarket solution?

Also, please see #4198 on main MDX discussion regarding gas tank overflow; anyone have a solution from Acura as yet?
  • stekatstekat Posts: 4
    My 2002 Touring MDX (bought 7/2002) is more sluggish on acceleration than I expected it to be. At speeds between 35 & 70, I have to wait for "one mississippi" before the transmission kicks down and the vehicle accelerates. Service manager says he gets no codes and on test drive didn't notice anything wrong. So, do all MDX's do this, am I being overly critical or is there a problem?