Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tursiopstursiops Posts: 8
    no, I have the Sport/Tech package and they told me this morning that they had an 07 with the entertainment package do the same thing and that is when they found it was the "multiplex module". So they are looking at the multiplex for the front drivers door and think that is the issue.
  • tursiopstursiops Posts: 8
    if you have the entertainment package, have them look into the multiplex module for the rear liftgate. They told me that there was another 2007 MDX w/ Ent Pack and that was where the problem was.
  • solosolo Posts: 48
    I own a 2004 pilot. Instead of waiting for the redesigned 08, I have been checking the 07 MDX forum. What an eye opener! Too many electrical problems for me! (Let alone alignment and suspension) Sounds like Acura is getting ahead of itself in technology the way Mercedes did 5-7 years ago. My nagging problem with the Pilot which is built on the SAME platform/frame as the MDX (no its not the annoying wind and road noise that in itself is enough to get rid of the car) it is the vibration caused by the driveshaft to the rear tires. Maybe I am a perfectionist, but in the summer (I'm in Chicago) I remove the shaft. This gives me 6 to 8 months of smooth driving. Honda refuses to admit the problem. (check the Pilot forums)
    Question; What does Acura do differently? I don't see any gripes about this vibration. Is there a difference? Does anyone know if the 07 MDX (thus the 08 Pilot) has re-engineered the drivetrain? If Honda has, I am buying an 07 MDX tomorrow! (even with all its problems). W#hat other forums are out there? Good motoring! solo
    P.S. I wonder if its time to go back to my Tahoes!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Here's a new discussion you may want to join: Probably too early - Anyone knows any improvements for 2008 MDX?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lmcmalilmcmali Posts: 4
    Are there any upgrades that can be done with regards to the display, information, etc...?
  • I own 2007 MDX with ENT/TECH packages and have had no electrical, vibration, or wind noise problems. I also did a lot of research before purchasing and would not consider the Tahoe in the same class as a MDX. Tahoes are nice but are inferior in technology, handling, fit & finish and if comparably equipped can cost more than an MDX. Not interested in paying that much for a chevy.... The new MDX is class leader as far as I am concerned (compared to BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Lexus RX, etc.). Get the new MDX, you will love it!!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The 2007 MDX uses a different AWD system. That may mean a different prop shaft and different joints (which I believe are the problem for the Pilot).
  • cybur1cybur1 Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 MDX and have generally been pretty satisfied with the reliability; no repairs, only routine maintenance. Over the past 6 months, I have noticed that the volume control for the stereo on the steering wheel doesn't always function properly. It happens very sporadically, but pushing the volume control either up or down causes the volume to increase. I'm coming down to the end of my warranty and wonder if this is the beginning of a larger problem. Heard of any similar problems? I'm sure it won't be acting up when I take it in.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    Have an '04 as well and the same problem. I always thought it was because my wife spilled soda on the steering wheel because sometimes it sticks. The problem is very sporadic, probably half a dozen times. For me, not worth tearing the steering wheel apart.
  • cybur1cybur1 Posts: 7
    I blame my wife for everything, too. Apparently your problem has not gotten any worse?
  • solosolo Posts: 48
    Thanks for your response to my Tahoe/MDX debate. Sometimes I think Honda might be getting ahead of its self with the latest technology ( like Mercedes did 5 to 6 years ago) Checking the Tahoe forums, most gripes continue to be mileage. You are correct, MDX is not in the same class (truck platform) as a Tahoe, but Tahoes sure ride quiet and smooth! It can be fun to research all the vehicles that fit our needs. Seems more than ever tho, it boils down to a crap shoot. Good luck with your 07.
  • I agree Tahoes are nice, probably the best choice in the truck based suv's out there today. A little too big for my wife's tastes, which is why we went for the Luxury SUV segment and ultimately the MDX. Loving the car so far (when I get to drive it). Researching these vehicles is a lot of fun. I guess that is the american way, we love trying to make top 10 lists of just about everything. When I researched Luxury SUV's recently, the MDX was consistently in my top 1 or 2. Which of course is why I currently own one. Time will tell how it does. As you said, a crap shoot. Take care!

Tony
    2007 MDX, ENT/TECH
  • gary51gary51 Posts: 2
    All the power windows of my 2005 MDX stopped working at once (including the sun roof). I checks the main fuse under the hood (40A) and the main switch on the driver's door and they are both fine. Unfortunately I just crossed the 50,000 miles and the dealer would charge $50 just to look at it. I am lost. Any suggestions before I give up?

Thanks,

Gary
  • adman518adman518 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what an 05 MDX is rated to tow?. Anyone have any experince towing with an MDX? I am consdering buying either an MDX, a GX470 or and X5 al in the 04 or 05 model years
    Thanks
    3,500 lbs of box trailer
    4,500 lbs of boat trailer.

This assumes you have a tranny cooler installed.

One thing to note... MDX specifications for the 2001-2006 model years are published assuming the vehicle is also hauling 4 occupants and their gear for a weekend. Most other companies assume only a driver and zero gear. So, their numbers are inflated a wee bit.

For more, read up on this link (scroll down to the bottom).
  • msindallasmsindallas Posts: 190
    How often do you need to change oil/filter etc., on a 2007 MDX? Dealer says "there is no number, the computer tells you when it is necessary". What is your experience? Every 5,000 miles? 4 months? Thanks, - MS.
    I discussed this issue with my acura technician. The computer is not just a "ticker" that counts mileage, it also measures engine rpms as well as other parameters. So, depending on your driving style you may need oil changed sooner or later than usual.
  • heart2heart2 Posts: 38
    Anyone experience a noise when stopping(going forward or backward) which seems to be coming from the driver's side towards the rear of vehicle underneath? Sometimes almost sounds like fuel shifting. Brakes do not necessarily have to be applied. Car operates well but I think noise has really been there since it was new (Oct. and only has 4000 miles).
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Posts: 55
    Has anyone noticed a hood vibration when going over 70 mph? In my 2007 MDX, I'm getting violent hood vibration when reaching 70 - 80 mph. This is especially noticeable when heading into the wind.

Taking MDX for 12000 mile service check on May 14. Mentioned the hood vibration to service department on the phone and they said MDX "hood does shake some". This is getting to feel like a design flaw on Acura's part. Any comments?
  • ulsuls Posts: 7
    The computer is set to service the oil every 7500 miles. However Acura technicians suggest either 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first depending upon the conditions of driving, which is usually associated with extreme weather.

The oil changes usually cost around $ 34.95 however you would also need to change the Rear differential fluid which is expensive and can add up to $ 200 and change.
  • ulsuls Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 MDX and have a 2 month old too. And guess what, I use the Graco Sung-ride in the middle seat in the middle row. My experience has been good so far. I can install it on the middle seat as MDX has a hinge below the retractable arm rest and also one hinge next to the seat behind the driver seat.
    The car base remains firm and intact where the belt crosses the base, but it moves up from the seat as you go further away from the belt. I am not sure how to overcome that issue and whether it is an issue to begin with. Either way, once you set up the car seat, I would highly recommend getting it inspected at the local police station. They do the inspection for free. Statistically 70% of the car seats are not installed accurately as per responses collected from cops.

Good luck and congrats in advance.
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Posts: 25
    I got my 06 MDX Sept last year. The "Maintenance required" light came up at around 6,400 miles. The customer rep at the dealership could not exlain why the light was on earlier. My guess is that the trip computer takes into consideration of extreme drive (low speed in-city drive). Anyway, the differential fluid was changed, and tired was rotated. That was all needed to be done according to the dealer. It cost me $110 including tax.
  • I have a 2007 MDX Tech/Ent and i have about 4,200 miles on it so far. My oil life is around 40%. I am planning to take along trip by this month end and now i will come to my question :)

When did you 2007 X owners first took your car for any sort of regular service ? What mileages and which month.

Was is dependent completely on the maintenance minder system ?

Was it simply a oil change or did you guys get something more done ?
    This is totally just my opinion but I had the first oil change in my '07 @ 3,000 miles regardless of what the computer said. I was in the neighborhood (of the dealer) so I stopped. I next plan to change the oil when the car tells me to with synthetic.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    I brought my MDX in last year for it's first oil change, and I brought it in early, at 2,700 miles.
    I was planning a trip from MA to IL, and wanted to get the new oil in before I left.

The dealer turned me away and told me to wait until I got back.
    They explained that Acura uses special oil with additives to assist with proper break-in, and early changes were not recommended.

First I had heard of something like that, but I did as they told me to do. :confuse:
  • msingh1msingh1 Posts: 1
    This is my first time posting here. Have been reading for long time and the postings have always been very helpful.

I bought 07 MDX with Tech package in 11/06. Have noticed 2 problems for which I ave already been to the dealer once without a fix ( BTW the dealer is in St Louis and I live in Columbia, MO about 120 miles away).

1. XM radio reception issue: While driving or parked the radio looses reception and all I get is static. People at XM say that the factory radio is faulty and Acura says that all is well. My friend has a Pilot with XM and has no problems. :confuse:

2. Rear suspension noise : Whenever the car goes over evena small bump there is a noise from the rear suspension area which sounds like a thud. Sounds like a strut is bad. Dealer test drove the vehicle and told me that it is from 3rd orw seat. :confuse: .

Wondering if anyone else has the same problems. I am going to St Louis again on Saturday to get this fixed. Would appreciate any input.

P.S - sorry about long wordy message.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 138
    Hi gang, I am in the market for a 2004 MDX for the wify and I wanted to hear from those who own a 04; are there any problems that I should be aware of from the 04s? Are you mostly satisfied with it? Does it pay to buy it "certified" or just through a private seller? What are your maintanance routine to keep the truck in top shape? And most importantly, did you buy it brand new in 04 or used?

I have been seeing prices around $20,000 to $22,950 (33k to 60k miles) here in NJ and NY. Is that a good range?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and for taking the time to answer so many questions :>)

R
    2. Rear suspension noise : Whenever the car goes over evena small bump there is a noise from the rear suspension area which sounds like a thud. Sounds like a strut is bad. Dealer test drove the vehicle and told me that it is from 3rd orw seat.

Do you keep the 3rd row up or down? Whichever way you do it, try driving around with the seat in the other position. If the noise goes away, your dealer is probably right.

All you may need to do is place a small chunk of rubber or foam under the seat to create something like a recoil spring. It will soften the "landing" when the seat frame comes to rest after being lifted by a bump.
    I'm your man.

I bought a 2004 touring model back in November of 2005. I purchased through a dealer. Checking the title, we found the vehicle had been on the road for 18 months. It had 33K miles on it at the time.

No major known problems with the 2004 models. It appears the tranny issues with earlier years were sorted out. Posters here and in other forums have reported a number of issues, but not many that are epidemic.

Mine has been flawless, but I've only had it for 18 months myself. It now has something like 68K miles on the odo. I'm averaging 21.4 mpg with a 60/40 split between highway travel and suburban streets. I see plenty of stop and go on crowded highways, but almost never do real city driving.

No idea what pricing is like today.
  • progerproger Posts: 44
    I bought my 2004 MDX Touring Brand New back in February 2005. I have about 39,000 miles in it at present, and had no problem, except for a minor one, my front right light assembly got foggy after 3 months of owning it. The dealer took care of it by replacing with a new one. Never had a problem ever since and loving it. I don't know the market price for this model at this time. Bought mine for 40K and to me, 20k to 23k would be a very good price. Good luck.