Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tunlotunlo Posts: 7
    Finally.... Clicking grinding noise fixed. Took my car to the shop for all the fingers I can count. Dealer have changed both rear structs, front left struct, cv joints... All the didn't fix my problems until recent they found internal damage on my front left axle. After the replacement the damn sound is gone and the car drives much better. Took at least two months to find the culprit of my problem. Like I said before I'm glad they replaced most of my structs before my warranty runs out in 2000 miles.
  • The stock Michelin latitude on 08 MDX need to be replaced.
    I got multiple quotes all in the rnage of ~$1240.
    I read some good reviews about nitto nt420S tires including one MDX owner.
    Got discount tire to match the price quoted by onlinetires.com, ~$600 out the door (no tire protection warranty).
    Given nitto's are almost 50% of Michelin was wondering if anyone else has tried the tires out and what the experience was.
    Really leaning towards trying them out though any feedback would be great.
    Thanks
  • Not sure if this will help...I have an 03 MDX and switched to Yokohama Geolanders. They're great rides and very quiet.
  • Thank You, it does help to know these tires are also a option. I checked the price and still around $450 cheaper than Michelin.
    Thanks
  • I put the nitto 420s on my wife's '07 MDX.
    (compared to the oem Michelin's)

better wet & dry traction have not driven them in the snow yet, a little more road noise in the cabin, we had vibration & balance issues with the michelins the dealer replaced all 4 michelin tires because they could not road force balance them within spec. so far no vibration issues with the nitto. I had them road force balanced & the mechanic made it a point to tell me that they balanced very nicely. Which says alot for the quality of manufacturing of the tires

My vote is for the nitto. Great tire for the money.
  • Thanks for the feedback bloomy63. 2 of my Michelin tires got damaged on the side wall a year after (within a period of 3 months) we bought the MDX, had to shell out over $500 to replace them (road hazard expires after 1 year).
    Since then we have been having the vibration issue also.
    I guess i will be going with Nitto even if there is little more noise, specially since the total price is half of Michelin's.
    Thanks
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Did you check the owner's manual regarding buying/replacing anything less than all 4 tires simultaneously..?

I suspect it will say those new tires should go on the rear ONLY.

Anything else and you may have been over-stressing your F/awd driveline components.
  • Actually i didnt' and the dealer did not mention anything either. Both replacement tires were bought from the dealer.
    My rear tires are a little more worn out than the front ones at this point (dealer kept on rotating them and was aware of the fact i had 2 newer tires).
    At this point i will be replacing all four in a couple of weeks anyways.
    Thanks for the pointer though i will check the manual also.
    I will let folks know of my experience with Nitto in case others are interested.
    Thanks
  • Just got the Nitto's installed. Total out the door $672 (didn't buy the $92 road hazard warranty).
    First impression in positive. I didn't feel much difference between the Michelin and Nittos. Probably a 10%-15% more road noise though not bothersome at all and hardly noticeable.
    For ~$600 less than Michelin i think they are very well worth it.
  • I bought my MDX one month ago; I found out after two weeks that there was a bump at the back of the ceiling. when I brought back to the deal, they refused to repair and told me that was not under warranty; I should find it out when receiving the car. They said I must pressure it and make the bump (I told them that I found out when I was trying to installing a dog screen: pressure the bottom and top)- but the fact is that it was there before I did anything. Is there a way I can make them repair this? Thanks.
  • I have a 2008. vibration starts around 60mph. worse at 70 to 75. swerve left at 75 and vibration goes away, swerve right at 75mph and it is more pronounced. dealer said replace left wheel and wheel bearing. replaced wheel bearing on left side and rebalanced wheels (walmart said wheel looked fine to them)...vibration still there...rotated wheels, vibration still there. please help
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Front CV joints.
  • Where can u buy axles. Parts stores don't carry
  • Not sure if gas pedal will vibrate due to axle, do you hear a clicking sound from the front when you turn left or right ? though i am not an expert
    Here are some sites for parts
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/
    http://www.partsgeek.com/
    http://www.partstrain.com/
  • matth2matth2 Posts: 12
    My wife was rear ended on Sat. Whole bumper, left muffler, tailgate and left D pillar are damaged. I want OEM parts and done close to factory as possible. Can't imagine what ins adjuster is going to nickel and dime me for. I want some good advice as I enter this lousy situation.

thanks in advance
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    You have the right to take it to the shop of your choice. In getting bids from reputable shops (do your homework if you don't already know) insist that you want OEM parts. Then decide which one you are most comfortable with and insist with the adjuster that's who you want to use. Good luck.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    The Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion may be helpful too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pony5pony5 Posts: 1
    After spending several grand for a rebuilt transmission that I did not need, I finally solved the metal scratching noise that was the source of the 40MPH problem. It was the coupling on the mid section of the driveline. Somehow, the metal bearing in the collar wore out and was the source of the unpleasant noise. The replacement required the changing of the whole driveshaft, so there goes more money for repair. What an expensive repair.
  • Have similar 07 MDX w/sp with 33k on odometer. It drives so smooth and quiet at 90-95 mph that I don't realize I am driving that speed.
  • Have 2008 MDX with Tech pckg and grinding always occurs when speeding up just after speed bump since car was new. It seems related to being in sports mode as less likely to occur if in comfort. Definitely related to driving too fast coming off the bump. Mechanic had hard time hearing it until I took him over the bumps on my street. Recommended I drive slower over the bumps. I change to comfort mode; mechanic claims everything is fine.
  • Have 08 MDX with 32k on odometer. Took it to dealer for oil change (A1 service message). Dealer wanted to service differential, transfer case and exchange brake fluid. alone with service D (replacing transmission fluid, coolant flush, change engine and cabin filter as well as the air pollution filter). All I can find in owners manual was to have brake fluid changed after 3 yrs. No mention about changing all the other fluids except under unusual circumstances that I do not have. I told him no; just change the oil. Felt I was being had. Anyone with similar experience.
  • If this happens on bumps with sharp edges...like steel plates on roads then there is a TSB out on this issue.
    Do the web search you might be able to find the TSB number...I will see if I can find it and will post it if I can find the number
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Yes indeed. I have a 08 RL and at 30k I took it in for changing transmission oil and do their "free check". They "recommended" doing exactly what you posted. I told them to do the work they were supposed to do i.e. tranny oil change.

I always read ahead in my service book of the service requirements at the milleage intervals i.e. 30k, 36, ect....

Oh what happened with my little service job was that when I now come in for the requiste service, they do it and have not so far again tried their "recomendations for those other services.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • Have U done your scheduled maintenance intervals. If U did , those things would have been done at the scheduled maintenance. I missed my schedule and the collant became clogged. I had to have it flushed at the dealer. Luckily, they didn't make me purchase a new radiator.

I have a problem with my 01 heater, The fuse blows out every 2 days. I took it to the dealer and they change the soilnoid and the the blower. 2 days later the fuse blew again. Anyone had this problem ? any solutions. Tomorrow I'm returning the suv to the dealer. They changed those 2 things 3 days ago. I paid $800.00 for that service
  • The maintenance manual states that the computer will tell you when they need to be done except that the brake fluid should be replaced every 3 yrs. The computer notified me of the oil change which is what I requested. Service stated that I should change the differential fluid, transaxle fluid, transmission fluid, etc. Could find no reference to changing these in the manuals so I thought that I would post this question here.
    You are right Pete as to getting the services done on time. I read the manual and check off what is to be done, then after the dealer does the services they still do the check list of things that might need work.

I usually do the easy stuff eg replace air filter, inside car filter ect and let them do the differential/oil stuff. I used to do the oil etc but I am tired of getting under the vehicle and doing it myself. I also have a 100k warranty i purchased when I got the 08 RL. (I have read these web sites over the years and checked out what went wrong before I got the RL.

Our Honda Pilot is the junior of the mdx. So if the mdx has issues then our pilot may also but I made an inference that the RL too might have issues so I got the 100k just in case.

Love my 08 RL, my wife has an 06 Pilot, with (honest) 35k on the speedo ni issues yet. And we keep our vehicles and get our $$ worth. And the "scheduled maintenance" makes her feel better and has kept us out of the shop at least so far. :)

Good luck to all and take care during this hard winter.

jensad
  • Hello,
    a couple of questions before I replace break pads on my MDX. I am not sure whether to replace them or not; during last maintenance the dealer mentioned that the front pads are "getting low"...

- Is it possible to measure break pad thickness without removing wheels? There are numerous how-to videos on Youtube, including the one where a set of hex-keys is used to see which one will slide under the caliper so that key size is your remaining break pad thickness.... Does it make sense?

-The dealer said that they would charge $40 dollars to measure break pads wear, on top of the usual tire rotation. So - is there extra work involved in measuring break pads even after wheels are removed, or it's just a hint to change break pads?

Thanks!
    Recently I had my aura rl serviced i.e. change oil in tranny and read end. They do without cost a 52 point inspection, (it helps them get more business) and they informed me that my brake shoes had 7 mm left which is great on my 48k miles we have logs on our 08 rl.

Point here is it sounds to me that the dealer you are working with wants to take you to the cleaners by the $ 40 charge. (JMO) That sounds to me like "gravy money" for the dealer.

We live in No. Cal. and competition for the consumer's business is alive and well. :) I think if you would check out your area you may find a delaer that will not charge for inspecting you brake shoes.

Good luck to all and have wonderful day.

jensad
  • qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 60
    2005 MDX Touring. I have noticed that the interior auto-dimming mirror is not functioning the way it should. Even thought the green light turns on after I push in the button for the auto-dimming function, the glare does not seem to be reduced. Any ideas on what may be going on? Does the mirror have a battery that needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Posts: 51
    My children have a 2010 MDX and have been experiencing a problem opening the driver's side door with the door handle. The dealer has replaced the door handle and the problem persists with the new handle. The door is definitely in the unlocked position and the door handle does not open the door. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? The door handles on the other doors particularly the passenger door sometimes present problems with opening too. The doors are definitely in the unlocked position, the door handles simply do not function.