Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• If you had a "ck eng" light then a code was stored in the computer. What did the mechanic say the code was? Is he just erasing it and sending you on your way? You need to find out the code and proceed from there
    Don't waste your money again on fuel system flushes. Just a cash cow for service departments. If you actually had a dirty injector a flush wouldn't clean it out anyway. You need high super high pressure.If the code faults an injector you'll need to replace it. Retrieve code and start from square 1.
  • xlr84, I saw someone make a comment on another thread that there have been some problems of flat spots forming on tires from cars that have sat too long on lots without being moved. If you think this may be the case, I would take it to a good tire store and have them inspect it. I don't think the dealer would be as quick to point this out, since they may some issues as to who is going to ultimately have to pay for it. The tire mfg. would blame the dealer, the dealer would try to push it on the tire mfg. or the factory. But if it is flat spots on the tire from sitting, it should not be your responsibility to fix it, esp. if it is a new car. Good Luck
  • :lemon: Well, I hope that you have better luck with Acura. My local dealer in Fort Wayne has tried on 6 separate visits replacing every component in the rear suspension (shocks, sway bar, springs, etc.) and have tried the "lube it" fix suggested by Acura. Each time it will go away for a few days to a few weeks and then come back. I just picked my 2007 MDX Sport/Ent up again tonite and was told that Acura Tech Support feels it is due to the fluid in the variable shocks for the sport package (rather than the gas filled shocks in the lesser models) and that it is something I have to live with. Acura won't authorize any more repairs/warranty work for this according to my service manager. And, yes, others in this discussion have pointed out that the sound is worse with extra load (passengers, dog food, etc.) and for me is worst over the curb on my driveway or when turning right (it's the left rear that makes the "scrunch" noise.) Again, Good Luck. I'm not very happy and considering the competiton for my next vehicle.
  • My 2008 MDX has the same problem. (Purchased 10/18/2008) I began my quest two weeks ago with only 250 miles on the vehicle. Continuous letters and conversation has triggered an response from the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. I was told that two service bulletins are forth coming. One with-in a month and another shortly after. I have a very low confidence level that this will occur although once I went formal with my communication the lines began to open. All owners with this problem need to push in this manner. The more voices that are heard the better. Acura Client Services was little help although with-in two days of filing a Better Business Bureau claim the case manager from Acura called me back indicating he had received the BBB request and had a completely different tone to his response. I will try to keep this link updated. This is not a single vehicle issue, the 2008 MDX loaner i received during my first service request had the same "exact" clunking, thumping, knocking noise from the rear.
  • Hello Everyone,

I just wonder if I can have a routine engine oil/transmission fluid service on my MDX at a honda dealership. The nearest Acura dealership is 130 miles away, but I have a honda dealership near by. If I have the maintainence done at a honda dealerhsip, will this negatively impact the standard 4-year waranty? Thank you very much for your answer.

TQ
  • timbo4timbo4 Posts: 30
    I wouldn't think that there would be any problem having service done at a Honda dealership as long as you keep your receipts. You may know that Acura requires their brand of transmission fluid which is available at Honda dealers. Don't use standard ATF as it may void your warranty.

Page 35 of your warranty manual specifies that you don't have to have your vehicle serviced at an Acura dealer.
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    I have had both my MDX and my RL serviced at a Honda dealerships for the same reason. Have had warranty work on the RL no problems incurred because of the service at a Honda dealership. Agree on the transmission fluid only use Honda that also applies to using only Honda brake fluid.
  • same problem, acura couldn't diagnose, 2 fix's ---- spray liquid wrench silicone spray in the window channel , raise the window, when you get sick of doing that, take about 2 feet of glad wrap, roll it into a tube around a 1/4 inch thick, put it in the window channel, shut the window, creak all gone, just dont open the window , 45K for a car what would you expect.
    :mad:
  • same deal they replaced the window motor in mine, stopped the window from dropping but still squeaks, try the silicon spray, best bet is put the glad wrap in the window channel :lemon:
  • Okay, just got my MDX back from the dealership. They replaced the entire window assembly that is in the door. They stated there is nothing else to change to make the squeek go away. So far, so good. I haven't heard the window squeek, but I haven't really taken a long drive and I haven't driven on any "bumpy" roads yet. I'll let you guys know if this works in a few more miles!
  • You are able to have warranty work done on your RL at a Honda shop? My local Honda shop won't touch any of my acuras for warranty work. I actually had my first TL in the Honda shop because of faulty breaks. The Honda shop did the work under warranty and then I got a call from acura corporate saying it was a one time deal because the car was unsafe to drive and that they would never authorize more warranty work at a non-Acura shop. :(
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    That is correct, however it was a about two years ago to the computer control module. If Acura now says "No" to warranty work, its news to me but good to know.
  • I have a 2004 MDX with 45K km. Recently check engine light came on and basically had no pick up (0-60 in 20sec). Thought it was transmission problem. Had the code read and result was the barometric pressure to low. Was told by acura the catylic converter is bad. A service mechanic at an Acura dealership suggest that I take it home and change the air filter to save the cost. When I open the chamber I found that the air intake sucked up a plastic bag blocking the air through the filter. Took it out and change the filter and problem fix.
  • At 47,000 miles, I started to hear a swishing wind sound at 40-50mph. The dealer heard it and said it was the torque converter. Does that sound right? Not a rumbling noise, but rather like the sound of a blast of wind. Also have some gear selection uncertainty at steady slow speed.

Previously had recall for 2nd gear cooler. Any relation?

Dealer said they would try to get zone office to "do something". Fix it for free would be good. Any precedent?
  • I lost one tire due to construction staple, made two holes close to one another, and tire shop said at 10,000 miles, I needed to replace set of tires, i.e. 2, for all wheel drive operation. Did I get screwed, or is that true at this mileage. I assume there must be some measurement that indicates when different diameter is an issue. Could not find help in time, probably should have called dealer, but urgent nature caused me to say, Go Ahead!
  • CatheCathe Posts: 7
    Hi guys, could you please share the experience how to get this vibrating issue fixed?

I just bought the 2008 MDX last weekend and feel sligtly vibrating at the 1st drive back to home at 65mph. I had thought the road condition may attribute to this at the first thought but later i realized that my 8-year old acura integra is solid stable at the same road. then I test it on a newly reworked highway with great road condition, vibrating is very clear at 70mph. So I return back to dealership today and the dealer said the highway speed limit here is 55mph so they can not risk getting ticket and can do a 4 wheel balanced hoping to solve the problem, but after then the vibrating is still there. this is extremely frustrating. i am going to go back to dealership coming days.

any suggestions are welcome. many thanks in advance.
  • CatheCathe Posts: 7
    i had the same vibrating problem clearly at 70mph above. just bought this car last weekend with 100miles in it now. but I feel the vibrating at the 1st drive back to home at 65mph. it was my mistake that I did not have a test drive on this car. anyway i went back to dealer and get the wheel balanced but the problem still exist. deal don't want to verify this by taking risk of getting speeding ticket as high way speed limit is 55

any experience and suggestion?
  • Hi, All,
    I just got a brand new 2008 MDX and notice it doesn't accelerate smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I've put 900 miles on it.

It's most obvious in rush hour traffic where the engine rev to around 2500~2700 then quickly drop under 2000. It was fairly jerky. When decelerating, I felt it surge a little as if I was pumping the accelerator a bit. It is not to the point of being uncomfortable, merely unpleasant and annoying. I mean, my old Malibu does a better job in terms of this. No problem for the upper gear.

Is this normal? Does anyone experience something similar? I really appreciate any of your feedback.
  • I got a new 08 in Oct and had the same problem. I took the car to dealer and got it fixed by replacing all four tires. The problem is due to the 'flat spots' of the tires.
  • I just bought my 2009 MDX late December 2008. I have been driving it for a month now and I just noticed the same issue. My wife was driving it around town and noticed that the center console was extreamly hot. It was only hot on the passenger side and inside the console itself. It was soo hot that the DVD cases stored inside the console were soft and hot to the touch and some of the plastic of the DVD case starting to warp. I took the car to the Acura dealer. The service attendant told me he averages about 1 call per week on this same issue. He told me that the exhaust system runs underneath the console and that the more you drive, the hotter it gets. For $50K I would think that this wouldn't happen! Does anyone have any positive resolution to this?