Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have an '07 Acura MDX that I purchased from an Acura dealer which is located about an hour from my house. I started out taking my vehicle whenever it needed service back to the Acura dealer. But because of the distance and the price of gas, I have been taking it to a local Honda dealer which is located about 5 minutes from my home. I know Honda makes Acura but was just curious in knowing if anyone else takes their Acura in for service to a Honda dealer. And I've also found that with Honda I'm not paying as much as I would with Acura for the cost of the services.
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    I have with my RL which is out of warranty as they are much lower in cost. Not with my MDX which is under warranty as I did hear that Acura will not accept a Honda's dealers work in the event of a claim.
  • I too have bought all my acuras at a dealer about an hour away, the local honda dealer will not do warranty work. Luckily my MDX's don't need much non-warranty work (that's why I bought them :) ) What have you had to bring your '07 in for?
  • I haven't had to have any warranty work done yet. I've taken it in for routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.)
  • eh, I take my acuras to a jiffy lube I trust, I just stand there and watch 'em do everything. ;)
  • joryanjoryan Posts: 15
    I have a 2009 MDX. Daily upon a cold start up and take off, once I reach approx 18-20 mph just after shifting to 2nd gear, I hear a fast knocking in the front end of the car. It lasts about half of a second and it is about 4 or 5 knocks. The knocks are not violent, but somewhat subtle. It is only upon a cold take off. If the car has been repeatedly started and driven and it is warm, it doesn't happen. I have listened and felt for it, but it doesn't happen. It has less than 6K miles on it and I just chaneged the oil at 5K. Nothing is out of whack or functioning abnormally in any way. No fault lights or anything either. Any opinions? I'm am ready to take it in for a check up at the dealer. It is annoying and worrying me. Thanks to anyone that can provide some insight.

Jo
  • hemorsehemorse Posts: 34
    I have a 2008 with the exact same issue. It seems to go away after the engine warms up, but is there upon initial start. I first thought something was loose, but that appaerntly is not the case. Mine is a fully loaded tech/sports package. :confuse:
  • joryanjoryan Posts: 15
    It's good to know that it isn't some freak thing that only happens to me, like most occurences. Sorry you're having the same issue. Have you gotten it checked out at the dealer or anywhere? I have owned nearly 15 cars in my lifetime from new to 20 year old vehicles and never experienced this before. You have any clues to what it is? I can't stand it since a $40K vehicle should act appropriately all the time, especially when nearly brand new.

Jo
  • ahhaaaahhaaa Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 MDX that did the same thing when newer. I noticed it 2-3 times, after a cold start in the morning, either immediately when driving, or within a couple blocks. It was subtle, like you said 4-5 knocks, and seemed similar frequency as a rotating tire, at speeds from 10-30 MPH. I ignored it, figuring it was a new drive train doing its thing and it would either get better or worse. It got better. I don't remember hearing it since. I'll check though.
  • I got an 08 Sport/Tech. and it does the same when first used in the morning at around 20 mph. I haven't confirmed it with the dealer yet, but I am sure it has something to do with a system check with the anti lock brakes. My work car (Ford Crown Vic.) does the same. Our employer's mech. stated that is just the system checking the anti lock brakes.
  • Pretty sure it's the ABS test. Haven't noticed it too much in the MDX, much more prevalent in the TL.
  • I have a new 09 MDX Tech and I notice when I go over fairly sharp bumps or small potholes a distinct low frequency thunk or thump eminates from the rear of the car. I brought it in to service and nothing was loose, including the spare tire which I thought it could be at first. Then I took out another 09 MDX for a test ride and I heard the same exact noise. I believe I'm probably more sensitive than most to noises but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that finds this noise bothersome. I just got rid of an X5 and there were no noises like this. Acura client services called me and asked me to bring the vehicle back as I believe they have had multiple complaints about this issue. It sounds like a rear suspension issue to me but its not a one off problem with my vehicle. Anyone else notice this or have heard of this issue?
  • Search the discussion for rear suspension thud, there are multiple posts and multiple remedies, some work, some don't. I think it is inherent in the suspension.
  • smilsomsmilsom Posts: 11
    Anyone know if there's a way to not have all of the radio presets change from one Driver (key) to another? Would prefer all the radio settings to be the same for both keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • jdhjdh Posts: 19
    Can anyone tell me if acura used bridgestone tires on the 2008 MDX vehicle as oem equipment. This is a used vehicle with 2700 miles and is the basic version of the car.

Thanks

JACK
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Posts: 269
    I believe base version are bridgestone and tech and above are michelins
  • jdhjdh Posts: 19
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. IT WILL HELP WITH MY DECISION.

JACK
  • iwantatliwantatl Posts: 25
    08 mdx sport \ent 15k knocking sound while stopping or starting. SB 05-008 ,Acura just replaced the bushings and realigned the car. They told me this is the first one they have seen in St. Louis area. No more knocking :surprise:
  • qgnguyenqgnguyen Posts: 1
    I have a 08 MDX Sport Ent. I have the same problems as described "when I go over fairly sharp bumps or small potholes a distinct low frequency thunk or thump eminates from the rear of the car." and several knobs noise at the initial start in 18-20mph. I don't know if this is a faulty or what? Does anyone have the solutions for them yet? Thanks.
  • smilsomsmilsom Posts: 11
    I went to the dealer twice - had a rear damper kit installed as well as some bolts changed in the rear suspsension and the noise is still present. Its a low frequency thunk or thump from the back - even test drove another MDX and the noise is still there. I think this is an inherent design issue with the vehicle.... unfortunately... if all of the new models have this issue I'm surprised not to hear more people complaining about it. Then I think maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it or because I live in NYC with the potholes its more apparent.

Would be interested in anyone elses feedback.