Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pete2815pete2815 Posts: 20
    Never had a problem with any of my door locks/handles in any of the 3 MDXs that I have owned including my current 2007 model.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Have experienced no problems with the door handles on my 2010. One thing I have (slowly) gotten used to is that transmission needs to be in "Park" before the doors will open - this wasn't the case on my previous vehicle, an Infiniti FX45.

I would recommend that your children persist until the dealer is able to diagnose and fix the problem under warranty.
    On my 2007 MDX, the door locks are programmable; the instructions are in the owner's manual.
  • kdiaskdias Posts: 8
    I missed the start of this conversation. I seem to be having a similar issue. When I take a left or right hand turn from a stop, I hear a rattling noise very briefly. I typicallly have to gas it hard for this to occur and it usually occurs after the car has been parked over night or after the work day. Dealer says they could not find anythig wrong. My sense is thhat there is a lag in the SH-AWD and that a coupling may be the issue. can you provide me more details on your situation? Thanks
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Thanks, Pete, I'm going to have a look at the owners manual and see if I can change the lock operation.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Hard/tight turn or accelerating shallow turn is exactly when SH-AWD would be shifting engine torque, MORE engine torque, to the rear and then thereby to the rear right or left.

"..rattling noise.."

Like "ABS" " rattle..?

If so, that's also EXACTLY one of the times or conditions under which VSC is most likely to activate due to slight (to short/slight to be detectable via your seat of the pants sensor) plowing or skidding.

If it persists to the point of making you uncomfortable have the dealer service check the 2 sensors unique to VSC.
  • kdiaskdias Posts: 8
    Willard

Thanks. That is what the dealer suspects is the cause of the rattling, engagement of the VSA. However, they have not been able to duplicate the noise, so my car sits on their lot while I drive a nice new loaner MDX.

Keith
  • rd082298rd082298 Posts: 13
    At 96K I received the 100K service (timing belt, waterpump, plugs, fluids the whole 9 yards). I paid like $1,500 for the service which took the dealer 3 business days to complete. Afterwards I could smell radiator fluid burning on the engine and had a reverburation in the engine after driving for 15 miles or so. I took it back to the dealer they power sprayed the engine blaming the smell on road grime - yeah right:>) They could not replicate the reverburation in the engine but told me to come back if it happened again, I did and they said most likelly its bad exhaust or motor mounts. I said no way this didn't start until after the 100K service. I left, came back a different day when it was making the "sound". One of the techs diagnosed air in the power steering. They took it back and no more noise since. Fast forward about 5000 miles I'm, now driving home from work and my check oil light goes on. I stop the car check the oil its not even on the stick. I put 2.0 quarts in just to get it barely above the low line and take it to the dealer. The dealer changes the oil and has me test it to see when it goes down a quart so they can diagnose the issue - because they can not find leaks. Its not leaking in my garage at all. Ok its now down a quart at 2,600 miles, I put a quart in. Its down another quart after another 900 miles. I can't believe this. I have always done all mainetance at this dealer and have always done all maintenance at required intervals. I had always checked the oil level after fueling and the oil was never down before the 100K service. Thoughts on what is happening here and what I should do?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sure, your timing belt is miss-timed...
  • progerproger Posts: 44
    edited May 2011
    My service advisor recommended replacing my ENGINE MOUNTS on my MDX '04 while it was having State Inspection (Life time Free Inspection). Estimated cost would be around $750.00 for the front and side mounts, which I had refused. My MDX has only 81,000 miles in it and when I visually inspected, there was nothing wrong, and engine vibration is quite normal as when it was new. My advisor said that engine mounts need to be replaced at around 80,000 miles. This is very unusual, are there any issues about this matter out there? Your advise or comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    Mounts aren't a maintenance item. Either they are oil-soaked, cracked and spongy, and/or their brackets are broken or cracked, or they last the life of the car.
    I'm not a mechanic so can you please tell me why that would cause oil burning? Can this be corrected and will there likely be permanent damage to the engine?

Thanks!
    Can't answer your question. I also have a 2007 MDX with 34K miles but no problems with oil burning. Did this just start or always been a problem? More info may help others help you.
    edited May 2011
    Oil burning can occur from lots of causes, such as worn piston rings, worn valve guides, worn valve stem seals and....even a malfunctioning PCV system (which might be something for you to have checked---that Positive Crankcase Ventilation system).

If the engine's crankcase cannot "breathe", combustion gases build up in there and force oil into the combustion chamber.
    The engine never burned oil up until the 100K service it started right after that.
    Is that something that normally gets changed at the 100K service? I went back and looked at my invoice that was not changed. They did however change the ERG Valve.
    Nah, I don't think that's it.
    Here is an update for all MDX owners.

The dealership has had my vehicle since last Tuesday. They performed a compression and drip down down test. They have determined that there is a loss of compression in one of the cylinders. They have also said that it is just a coincidence that it occurred just after the 100K service. They are working with Acura to get authorization to look inside the engine to confirm what is causing the problem. I still do not know if this will be a covered repair although the service manager beleives they will cover it. I'm a bit nervous now to say the least. Depending on how Acura handles this will determine if I buy my third new MDX.....
    Its hard to believe but the dealership has now had my MDX for almost 3 weeks. They have been working with Acura to get authorization to open the engine up. Today they tore it open and it is laying in pieces. Next they need to get authorization to repair it. I was told that if they get authorization they "might" have it done by next week Tuesday. I can not believe it takes this long to cut through all the red tape. Also I still don't know who is paying for the new short block and all the labor. I have made it clear that there will be no future purchase of my third MDX if this doesn't get resolved to my satisfaction. The service manager has tried to allay my concerns but until its over I'm on edge.
    Please keep posting updates.