Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• inky4inky4 Posts: 238
    Gray market vehicle?
    Not new if not from a U.S. Acura dealership.
    What are you talking about, a mall? If an acura dealer then they have a name, the name would be on the sticker even if part of some big conglomerate. This car has an MSO correct?
    Please advise. Very curious.
    INKY
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I was in Long Island, New York today looking at RLs and MDXs. Two Acura dealerships told me that they want MSRP plus $1k for the MDX, but the RL can be had for below invoice. I've never bought a car from an automall and I am a bit concerned about their reliability. What is name of the automall in Flushing and its address? I may want to give it a visit if the price is right and it has a good reputation. Please advise.
  • will4271will4271 Posts: 187
    I was in the Acura neighborhood so I went to look at the MDX again.

The dealer has a special solution that the dealer put on the leather and a solution for the exterior of the car. They said that it will repel bird dropping from sticking and prolong the life of the leather.

The dealer wanted $699 for this option. Does anyone know about it ?
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    "Does anyone know about it ?"

It's called snake oil, whether you buy it from an Acura or a Kia dealership. Even if it did have some benefits, you can probably buy it for a fraction of what the dealership is charging for it.

Refuse it.
  • aut2bemeaut2beme Posts: 1
    I have a Touring w/Navi. Paid MSRP. However, had to buy side steps and chrome wheels. Chrome wheels where $1400. At first I was not going to go through with it.....but could not resist. After you drive the MDX...you'll know why. After looking at other MDX's on the road....the chrome wheels really make the vehicle stand out. Hind sight being 20/20...would not flinch to get the extras that I did.
  • will4271will4271 Posts: 187
    Thanks for the info.
  • jebivjebiv Posts: 7
    I am choosing between the MDX and the new Volvo XC90 which is due out at the end of 2002.

I was able to get a price for a basic touring model of $40,238. My lease would run about $599 for a 36 month term.

Anyone else see pricing along these lines? What about buying one in Canada and bringing it down? I have heard it has to go through emissions tests which can eliminate any savings. Can anyone comment?
  • bradlake1bradlake1 Posts: 48
    Jebiv:

My wife and I are in the same quandry (MDX v XC90). We are leaning towards the X because of Volvo reliability issues (history). That price for the Touring model seems high to me?? Did you check leasecompare.com ?? The lease term you mention I calculated with the NAVI. Do you have accessories added to the base price? One more note, it may be best in the long-run to get a 03' X, especially if you are going to lease. I also look forward to other responses.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Posts: 380
    If you live near the border and drive it back you might be OK, but Honda/Acura is VERY serious about warranty only applying to vehicles kept in their desiginated country -- be warned!

I honestly do not think that the Volvo will have anything going for it, other than the twisted HYPE that Volvo uses with regards to its safety features. If they spoke the truth, 95% of the safety features are in all vehicles.

Where did you get the price you quote? That is way too high for an '02 MDX with just touring. Why do want to lease? Honda's high residual value should make owning much more attractive (the Volvo lease will probably be smarter, unless you {shudder, repair costs, shudder} want to keep a Volvo longer than 48 months)...
  • lok3lok3 Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how much do you pay for 2002 MDX in Boston area? How long do I have to wait for silver one with touring package? Any words for 2003 model?
  • mrshuttermrshutter Posts: 1
    We just took delivery of a 2002 MDX last Thursday, July 25th. I lease vehicles due to owning my own business.(Use those before tax dollars) Have been leasing for years through Ham Wallace at Hoover & Associates in Nashville. Total cap cost was $ 40,865. This was a touring/navi with side steps, wood meter panel, wood shift knob, all season mats, rear splash guards, and front air deflector. The car actually came from the Acura dealer in Knoxville, TN. My leasing guy says the local dealer will not discount any from MSRP to an outside leasing company.

The local dealer, Gary Force Acura in Brentwood TN, could not come close to the lease terms I received. During a 48 month lease I will save about $35/month and and did not have to put up $1800 up front like the dealer wanted. I put up $700 which was the first month's lease plus license, taxes and title fees. My total savings over 4 years will be about $2800 plus the residual at lease end was $2,000 lower than the dealer's. If I want to buy at lease end I have saved a total of $ 4,800. That buys a lot of gas.

My wife and I love the MDX so far after about 175 miles. We had a Mercedes ML320 before this and the MDX is much nicer inside, has a better ride, handles better, and on and on and on.

I did a lot of "lurking" on this board before deciding on the MDX so thought I'd share my pricing experience with you. I'll keep active on the board and look for ideas as well as share any I have.

Mark
  • dcmdxdcmdx Posts: 1
    Just put down a deposit for a base MDX today at Radley Accura in Northern VA. Got MSRP with $500 credit toward options of my choice and processing fee is waived (saving $189). Options' prices are below the MRSP prices shown on acura.com

Saleman were very courteous and straight forward. Got my deal via an auto buying service. Don't rememer the name, but their DC region phone number is 301-657-1920. It supposed to be a deal for federal credit union members. But apparently anyone can call them up and use their services. (Guess they make money on commission on a sale of the MDX, since I did not get a separate charge for using the service!?)

Walked into the dealership, mention the auto buying service, saleman review the deal stated above, check delivery date and put down a deposit and walk out the door all done within 1 hour. Very pleasant buying experience. Could have got a car in Beige color the next day, but someone beat me to it. My expected delivery date is mid August.

I've been reading this board for a while. Just want to return the favor and share my experience.
    Thank you all.

D.Dinh
  • Thanks for the posting on Radley Acura. Any other experiences purchasing an MDX in Northern Va/DC such as Pohanka? Also, does anyone know when the 2003's come out? I'd be curious if it would be better to wait till they do to get a better deal on a 2002. Any info appreciated.
  • I just bought my first MDX (and Acura) from Pikes Peak Acura in Colorado Springs (Leif Clinard, the new car sales manager). A great price, very responsive and he is delivering the car to me in Glenwood Springs (3 hours away)!
  • rudy331rudy331 Posts: 27
    See that you went for the chrome wheels. I have ordered a 2003 (Washingon, D.C. area) and after seeing your message asked the salesman and checked Acura website without any luck. The salesman indicates he has no knowledge of Acura offering chrome wheels for the MDX. Are they actually Acura wheels or aftermarket that the dealer put on??? Any info would be appreciated. I have them on my current car and both my husband and I agree what a difference!!!
    Acura doesn't have specific chrome wheels. Many dealers, Acura or otherwise, will offer chrome wheels from another source.

I've also heard of some owners getting the Acura wheels chromed. I think I saw someone from CA with that done. Basically, they traded in their brand-new wheels (plus a fee) for a set that had been chromed from the previous person who traded in their new wheels for chromed ones.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016
    Check Edmunds.com Used Power Shopper for a used car selling service in your area.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• nm2nm2 Posts: 9
    I just put down a deposit for a '03 Touring w/ Navi today for MSRP, due for delivery in Dec/Jan. Since info has yet to be released, we don't know what the exact $ will be, but dealer says it should be ~$500 more than '02 MSRP. We went to the Precision Acura in Princeton, NJ. They were very friendly, courteous and patient with our numerous questions. Our dealer told us the prices, options, & color swatches for the '03 models should be coming within the next 2 weeks.
  • Just walked away from So Cal dealer who insisted on $1K markup on top MSRP for a base MDX. I offered a couple hundred over MSRP, but no movement - cash in hand on a Monday night no less. Since I was paying cash, he was unwilling to deal since there was no trade to lowball or financing to earn $$/incentives on the backend. Pain free experience, very honest dealer, they obviously believe someone is going to roll in and pay it. Oh well, looks like I'll have to settle for the Pilot EXL at MSRP, which is easily attainable in San Diego. No question that the base MDX is worth the $4220 difference (warranty, moonroof, fog lights, styling, wheels, etc..), but you add the markup to vehicle in the last month of production year - I'll pass.
  • Does anyone know if the 03 will have a bigger motor?
  • jdebskijdebski Posts: 1
    Just leased MDX touring for $545/48mo
    with $0 down in NJ.
  • I just ordered a 03 Midnight Blue/Saddle Base MDX from Modesto Acura for MSRP + State Tax and License NO forced options for delivery in Oct/Nov. (The internet manager was happy to drop the $45 doc fee).

I shopped Bay area and Sac dealers only to find the best deal closest to home. Several dealers have 02's on lot for 2-4K over MSRP and/or 2-5k in options and little movement on price. Please, give me a break. On the other hand Neillo in Sac. and Hopkins in Bay area sell for MSRP, no forced options and were very nice, honest and responsive to my inquiries, but have 3-6 month wait lists for an 03.

For anyone in Northern/Central California, Modesto Acura is the safe harbor in a sea of bad dealers. I talked to the internet manager Steve for 10 min and he took my deposit over the phone. My purchase was quick and painless, just the way it should be.
  • bz48bz48 Posts: 3
    Just leased 2002 MDX Touring w/o navi for $540/48 month from Ryan's Open Road Acura in East Brunswick, NJ. Fender flares, rear mud guards and side steps added another $28/month.

Good experience. Painless. No BS.
  • Pretty much every dealer in the Seattle area wants to markup the price by 2K over MSRP. Any suggestions?
    - Varada
  • just bought a silver 02 in OKC for 38,500. It has the touring package and I added the hitch,rear mud guards, body side molding and all the interior wood. They even threw in the slush mats for winter.
  • The lease on my ford expedition is FINALLY up mid December-- test drove the MDX touring and loved it. Any advice on--

when should I begin the dealer deposit thing in So. Ca.? is it really true that there's no scheduled maintenance for 100k miles as dealer says? And, which MDX (touring or regular) did you choose, why, and would you do it again??
    Whoa, the dealer was either misleading you or you may have misunderstood. The MDX does not need a _tune-up) for 100k miles, but it most definitely needs regularly scheduled maintenance! And, in fact, more so than, say, an ML320 where scheduled maintenance intervals are longer and it is free for four years/50k miles (whichever comes first).

Quite a few engines don't require a tune-up for 100k miles nowadays.

Lots of debate on touring vs. base. Generally, the items in the touring don't individually offset the price increment. That said, the touring has some features that some buyers (some) require, so it's a personal buying decision.
  • I shopped my local dealer and they had a 1K markup and lots of add-ons on the few they had available. It seemed that they thought they didn't need to deal. So we walked away.

I then faxed about 15 different Acura dealers in the So Calif area telling them I wanted a base model with no add-ons for MSRP. I got a few bites and was just about to put a deposit on one that was due to come in in about a week.

My local dealer(University Acura)called me the same day I was faxing the paperwork to the so cal dealership and offered me a base model w/navigation for msrp. It had just arrived and still had the plastic wrap on it. We got the base w/nav and had a tow pkg and roof rack added for a total of $37980. They even financed us at 5%.
  • I am new here and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the 2002 and 2003 MDX. Also how much price difference will it be?
  • Speculation is that Acura cannot afford much of an increase. Too many competitors nipping at them and too much potential bad press if they escalte prices based on just features & minor details while the Accord is all new with very very small price increase -- a few percentage points.

Changes that are all but certain include more power, new transmission, electonic stability control, new colors & wheel styles. New options have been listed including XM radio, RES, reverse monitor. Much speculation about HIDs.

A week or so and official releases will be posted.
    Bottome line -- it does NOT make sense to pay MSRP for a 2002 with substantial changes due in month or less. Even if you want NAV (which becuase of changes will not be available until Novemeber production) you are better off waiting UNLESS you do not see the value in the Touring pckage which becomes a 'must take' to get Nav in 03...