Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• newyorkrnewyorkr Posts: 2
    Tech + Power Tailgate. Today, I got a quote for this:

Price: $41,500 (invoice price + dest. charge : $40,901) plus tax. no accessories.
    plus fees:
    $527.90 (Title/Reg Fee + Luxury Tax + Tire Tax)
    $249 (Doc Fee)

Compared to other posts in this forum, the fee seems to be high for me. Is NJ Luxury Tax applicable to MSRP $44,245? I googled a bit and they say that it's applied to a product priced higher than 45k. Does anyone know about this? Also, $41500 including destination charge seems a good deal?

(tech + power tailgate option is new and they ordered some and they will arrive to the dealer soon in this month.)
  • I am looking to get a 2008 w/Sport. My wife wants to add several extras - Backup Sensor, Roof Rack & Cross Bar, Nice Wheels & Tires etc. By the time it is added up the total is $6,900 for all the extras. Aside from talking my wife out of them, what do you think would be a realistic discount to shoot for on this total? Thanks.
  • backup sensor? tell that ol' wife of yours to learn to drive. backup sensors are overrated. roof rack/cross bar are worth it. nice tires and wheels good too. but many of these items can be had for pennies on the dollar through 3rd parties.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    If one orders the base MDX, you say one can get along fine without the rear sensors?
  • yes! i'm a big fan of getting base models. always the best deal. backup sensors, imho, are quite tacky anyway.
    Okay, I thought with limited rear visability the sensors can help.

My BMW lease is up in July. I plan on e-mailing every Acura dealer in my state of Florida with an offer of $500 below invoice in June for the base MDX and see what happens. I plan on putting down half and financing the rest. I find Acura's offer of 36 month financing at 2.9% too good to pass up. Hopefully, they will continue this in June.
  • ok, good point about the limited rear visibility. if this is a big concern for you or the misses, then by all means you should go with the optional backup sensors.
    Yes, I think I will go with the rear sensors.

Using the Acura website, I made a list of 18 Florida Acura dealers. It would be nice to make a decent deal with one of the 3 Acura dealers in my area, but Tampa is a notoriously poor location to make a good car deal.

As mdxsfla was kind enough to inform me, he made a great deal with a dealership on the other side of the state. I have no problem with taking a short one-way $52 flight to save $500 or so.
  • I paid like $1,000 over invoice in Orlando with a lease and some other junk. Did I get the best deal possible? Probably not. Do I care? Not really. $10-20 over the life of the lease doesn't matter. Mine has Tech and running boards.
  • Hello, I'm buying an MDX soon but I have a question.
    If I want to do finance thru other banks than honda finance (if the bank provides the lower interest rate than 4.9% for 60 months), is it possible to buy an MDX with finance from the bank, with keeping the price quote I got from Acura? Again, when an Acura dealer offeres a quote, are they assuming that I'm getting finance thru Honda Finance?
    For those of you who bought an MDX, did you guys get finance from Honda Finance? Honestly I haven't looked into other bank's loan, but 4.9% for 60 months is good compared to other banks?
  • I got mine through Honda Finance because you lease. When you work the deal, you negotiate price first and then financing. They may assume you are going to go through them, but you don't have to. You should go with whomever gives you the best rate.

4.9% is pretty good. I can't see many banks beating that.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Posts: 262
    The price you negotiate should be completely independant of how you finance the car. The dealer doesn't get any say in who writes the check ultimately whether it's Honda Finance or another bank.

As Tyler said though it would be pretty unusual for a bank to be able to beat 4.9% for 60 months or 2.9% for 36 months.
  • nhtlmdxnhtlmdx Posts: 1
    mechanic5, did you lease or purchase this vehicle? Just to clarify, you paid $41,000 for the Tech and Entertainment Packages? That seems like a pretty good deal. I am heading there this week. Would like the Sport Package but I definitely want at least the Tech Package.
  • Mechanic 5 - can you tell me the terms of your lease (if you leased it)? Was the MSPR $46,610? Did you have any money down and what were your final monthly payments (including tax)?

I was looking at one yesterday (tech pkg w/ liftgate, no ENT pkg) and they want $647/mo with $1425 paid at signing (includes 1st mo, security, tax, title, etc.) Salesman was telling me MSPR is $44910 and selling price is $41500 with 0.000197 money factor and residual value of $25,177.60.

I am a single woman and have never negotiated a lease deal before, so I always worry they are taking advantage of me!! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how everyone is getting all their numbers (Cap cost, cap cost reduction, etc.) - are dealers willing to give you these numbers if you ask them? Is there another way to acquire them? It's all a little overwhelming! Help!! :confuse:
  • I got the same quote on this vehicle - thought it seemed high too. I am in PA. Did they give you monthly payment info with 0 down?
  • can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "and some other junk"?
  • Junk = window etching, premium tire package and full maintenance on car and roadside assistance. My impression is they act like they "give" this to you but in reality this is standard on every car they sell. When I was talking to them I told them I didn't want any of that stuff, but they gave it to me anyway. I'm sure the costs are baked in somewhere.

They did not do the protection package scam (all weather mats and tire locks) which was like $500+ at other places.

They did hit me with a $500 acquisition fee for the lease which also includes gap insurance to cover any difference in value of car and value on lease in the event of an accident. I don't know if that is a real cost or if I got scammed. AT this point, it doesn't matter and at least I'm covered.

I'm certainly not the model bare bones buyer.
    Tech package does not come with power lift gate so it sounds like you are buying a Tech package car.

Invoice on Tech package is $39,688 + $715 destination charge... or around $40,400.

You would be paying $700 over invoice which if no other dealer charges are thrown in (paperwork charge, protection packages and other sources of dealer profit) is a good deal.
  • josheeljosheel Posts: 73
    Thanks for the info,that does seem high and I'll keep looking .
    The advertising charge you might have to pay. Documentation fee is bologna and you should ask for that to be included in your offer price. You don't have to get the conveniance (ripoff) package if you order the car and those accessories aren't installed when it comes off the truck.

My dealer was similarly priced, they actually tried to get me to bite at 3% over invoice, plus accessories, plus $400 paperwork charge, etc.

I ended up offering them $500 over invoice out the door including all fees and then I left the dealership. You have to be willing to LEAVE to get the price you want, especially if you show up on a busy day like a Saturday. A week later they called me and I ended up paying $500 over invoice plus the advertising charge and that was it. I did have to take delivery of a car that had just arrived and didn't have all the extras installed.
  • juli714juli714 Posts: 4
    It sounds like you are really not interested in an Acura. $500.00 below invoice will turn off every dealer in the state. You should offer about $3000.00 over the invoice price.
    $3000 over invoice price? What are you smoking? 2% over invoice would be about $700-$1000 over invoice depending on trim level and is the number that all of the consumer publications tell you to shoot for when purchasing/leasing a new vehicle.
  • juli714juli714 Posts: 4
    The poor salespeople have to make a living, don't they? If they make a 15% commision, its only $450.00 to sell a $40,000 car. Don't you believe in capitalism, or are you one of those "live off the Gov't" Liberals???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,239
    Capitalism means we should shop for the best price possible... What the salesperson makes is none of our concern..

If you are only getting 15% of the gross, you should go work for another dealer...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I agree completely. You don't hear anyone crying about what happens to joe customer when a salesperson sells a car at full MSRP in addition to extended warranties, protection packages, etc, and makes a $1000 pop on a car.

If the dealer's couldn't make money selling cars at $500 over invoice they wouldn't sell the cars at those prices.
    i got a final price after haggling with several dealers out here for 47,353.14 for mdx w/ent pkg. Does this sound good? anyone!!!!! This is out the door
    Does that include taxes? If so how much? Accessories? What accessories?

As a price for an MDX Ent I would say that it's not such a great deal.... Invoice + Destination charge is about $44,300 so you are giving the dealer about $3,000 of profit, or close to full MSRP (about $1300 off of sticker). You should be shooting for a maximum price of closer to about 2% over invoice + destination (or LESS), which would be about $45,300 out the door.
    You've come to the wrong place, Juli!

Helping to shape educated consumers is what Edmunds is all about. The salespeople sleep very well at night ( or on the job) as they soullessly soak those unprepared patsies who continue to enter their dealerships. They soak 'em for every dime they can get away with! Those few that have consciences, leave the business.

Let me guess: someone in your family sells cars. What other reason could there be to show sympathy?

You may be right-offering $500 under invoice for an MDX may turn off every dealer in the state.... BUT, as gasoline prices continue to rise with no end in sight and those thirsty 17 mpg MDX's taking up more and more space on the dealers' lots, I expect some of those "turned off" dealers becoming antsy enough to keep my phone pretty busy! :)
    that was 8.1% tax our plate fee is 900.00 42,600 + 3465.59 sales tax + plates and title and doc 1287.55
  • I'm in the metro Atlanta area. I have a price for 2008 MDX w/ tech pkg. The best price I have gotten is $40395 (including dest chg) plus $495 doc fee, $42 title fee and tax so my true otd price would be $43,795 true drive off the lot price. Note that this does not include any options such as a roof rack etc... and that this is the base w/ tech pkg, no power lift gate. The doc fee is something every dealer in my area charges Comparing invoice prices, including dest and doc fees I end up just less than $500 over invoice. Please give me your brutally honest opinions.