Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 38.7 definitely is good. The dealer in my area gave 40,088 saying it included lifetime oil change for $100 and lifetime nitrogen for the tires at the same price but refused to budge below the price. Seemed like the dealer wasn't worried about selling the rest of the 09 since there were like 5 left on the lot. Just worried that when the 2010 model comes out it'll be awhile before the dealers are willing to budge on the price.
  • vchadvchad Posts: 97
    Folks, the link to which the poster has, for the $8000 rebate. IS FOR CANADA only. does NOT apply to usa.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/what-theyre-offering/article1351166/

it says....RIGHT AT THE TOP of the website....for canada customers.

Deals
    What they're offering
    Here is a look at recent incentives offered by manufacturers in Canada. All offers are subject to change and often do so frequently and without warning. The deals listed here were ‘live' through last weekend.
  • Vchad,

Honda "manufactures" Acura MDX in one place called Alliston, Canada (and as-of-now nowhere else - even though there is some discussion of moving MDX production to a plant in Alabama to ramp up for more Civic sedans in Canada)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_MDX

Let us not confuse 'manufacturing" from "selling". The article from GlobeandMail refers to manufacturers in Canada - not where those cars are sold.

Again, not being associated with either car manufacturers or dealers, I have no way of knowing whether this incentive is true or not. But the numbers that one derives, after assuming that these incentives exist, are very, very close to the deals a select few dealers are willing to provide.

This, in itself, should raise the question - why is a dealer in Pohanka, VA willing to sell MDX base for 34k where as a dealer in NY/NJ would not go down below 36k? Where I live (about 1500 miles from Pohanka :-( ), the lowest base MDX quote is over 36.5k.

I have no other motivation other than to research, educate myself and get the best deal. I simply cannot understand why I have to pay 2-3k more than what others are paying for the same commoditized product to which dealers add-on very little value. If others have more access to information on true incentives/better deal structuring, please do post.

From my anecdotal research, it appears that there are a lot more buyers of Acura MDX if the dealers are willing to pass on the manufacturers incentives to buyers - not just keep them for their profits. Acura sales may not be suffering due to a lack of buyers, but more because of their dealer network pricing structures.

Given the current incentives, here are what I believe are the reasonable prices one should aim for -
    Base - 34k-35k
    Sports/Ent - 42k-43k
    Sports - 40k-41k
    Tech - 38k-39k
    Tech/Ent - 40k-41k

Anything over this will be an additional dealer markup. I am not making any buy/don't buy recommendations - I understand that is a personal decision based on many other factors. But let us correctly educate ourselves on what are the true cost/pricing structures and know what we are giving/gaining when we make these big transactions.
  • vchadvchad Posts: 97
    Khajokh,

I appreciate your reasoning. But I can assure you, the 8k rebate is FOR CANADA CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!

Your very mixed up with your information. The article states, that the MANUFACTURERS(they have over 10brands on that list) are providing such and such deals, for CANADIAN customers.

Regardless of where the MDX is made, your understanding of there simple explanation is way off. They are simply saying, a manufacturer such as (acura...volkswagen, mercedes, etc.) are offerings these deals in CANADA at the present time. Your over analyzing this article.

As for your varying of prices, IT HAPPENS, thats capitalism for you. My local (small) town, honda, toyota, audi, mercedes, will balk at invoice or barely over invoices offers. i drive 3hours to chicago, and they discount from invoice. Its just a matter of VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME. A larger dealership(such as pohanka) in a bigger city, with a competitive market, sells at a lower price, but also relys on volume of sales. As for local/smaller town, anywhere in usa, they rely more on profit per car than volume.

Bottomline, this logic can be applied to any brand etc. and the 8000 rebate is FOR CANADA ONLY! canada's car market prices are usually 20-25% more costlier msrp's for the same exact car, so when they do get such rebates, they are larger, and you have to factor into exchange rate. Canadians have always complained of high msrp's, hence lot of them would cross border to buy in Michigan, or elsewhere in usa, but manufacturers caught on, and started voiding cars warrantys if they weren't bought in original country of residence.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,801
    The website is for a Canadian newspaper...

Those incentives are for Canada, not the US.. You can look up current incentives right here on Edmunds.com.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Didn't we resolve this last week? Someone posted that thread in another forum where it was described how *some* dealers are receiving up to $2500 in extra funding on the MDX.

I made it perfectly clear to about 10 dealers that I'd be in within an hour (or as long as it would take me to drive there) to purchase if they could hit $34,500 for the Base MDX. Still, I couldn't get any dealer to budge below $35,900.

There's just no way they have the same deal with Acura that Pohanka has.
  • As a Canadian I can confirm the $8500 rebate on the MDX. We have had that reabate up here for pretty much all of 2009. It was designed to blunt the effect of a higher Canadian dollar than in the past. It has only partially done this,

The rebate is applied AFTER tax. Therefore the best price you can get up here (Ontario, Canada) for a Base MDX all-in (incl. taxes) is about $51,000 Canadian. Based on the current exchange rate that is about $47000 U.S.

That is why many Canadians buy in the U.S. despite Acura cancelling the warranty.
  • how negotiable are these so called "fees", which seem like pure extra profit :mad: ? What "fees" have other paid?
  • At Pohanka, for the Base MDX, I paid $33,700+$399 processing fee (they originally quoted $34,099, so how they broke it out on the bill didn't really matter to me), NYS State Sales Tax, $350 for Registration (which will yet be a true-up based on what it really comes out to for NY Registration) and $57.29 for Dealer License Tax. That's it.
  • Khajokh,

You are awesome man! Finally, someone is looking out for the acura car buyers during these bad economic times. I totally agree with all the information you provided. Please keep up the great work!
  • I bought the MDX Tech and Ent package at Pohanka on the same day Lex bought his..Missed to meet Lex since i was focussing more on my vehicle and admiring it. Anyways.. the business was smooth. Paid $41023+ the rest same as what Lexluthor paid.. since i am from NY too..thats it..I had a 7 hr drive back and the car was smooth as silk..just lov it...
  • cplincplin Posts: 2
    OTD is around $38K
  • Hi,
    I work for a local south bay area Acura dealership, AutoWest Acura of Stevens Creek. I've done a locate on the tech model 2009 in sterling gray and have found none. The current colors in this area are Silver/Black/White and Red. The other colors are out of production for the rest of 2009. I am glad to help you in any capacity that I can.
  • Paid $39.5K + $299 doc fee + $75 title + $50 registration + $2,468.75 MA sales tax @6.25% :cry: . OTD =$42,392.75 (before dwn pmt of $2K). put $2K down and got the 2.9% int rate. Can't say enough good things abotu Schaller Acura in Manchester, CT. Very smooth and easy, no pressure process. I had called around a lot of dealerships in New England. They had the best price and the expact color combo I wanted. Spent about 10 min with the fincance guy (who was great) and that was it. Since I live in MA they are getting it registered for me and to driving it to my house to save me haveing to drive to them a second time in CT. :)
  • I purchased a new 2009 MDX Technology this weekend for $39700 +599 +TTL in Jacksonville, FL (Orange Park). Price included wheel locks, side molding, running boards, roof rails, and trunk mat. Best deal I could find in the southeast.
  • Hi surfin29

How was the overall experience with acura oforangepark, did u try duval acura also.
    I saw that duval had only base. Seems u got a good price (39k, deducting the accesories) +ttl.

for me orangepark quoted 40552 for mdx tech +fee+ttl.

Thx
  • Has anyone purchansed 2009 Base in Colorado recently? Can you share your buying experience here? The best price I have quoted for is about 36800, which is a lot higher than the price posted here. The dealers in CO seem not willing to negotiate very much.
  • Caprice2:

I tried Duval first, but they did not have the color I wanted and their price was WAY high. I had to spend a day of (tough) negotiating with Orange Park to get them down. I assume in the end they wanted to make the sale vs risk waiting to try to make a couple of more bucks on someone else. They had a lot of MDXs on the lot. The people at Orange Park were nice and professional. They spent a lot of time to show and set up the features on the car.
  • oisinoisin Posts: 2
    Just don't go to Marin Acura - those guys think they can bully you with their old-school full pressure sales tactics into buying a car, even one that you don't want at a price that is ridiculous. I can share a lot more if you're interested but I didn't think car dealers operated like that anymore because so much information is available to the consumer now.

Thanks for all the information you shared!
  • Thanks Surfin29
    What color did you pick?
    I was thinking of the cherry red color, dint get a chance to see one in that.
    I will try my luck with the local in 2 wks
  • An Example
    For the purchase of a $30,000 vehicle with 7% state sales tax, the taxpayer would receive a $2,100 tax deduction. The actual tax savings depends on the amount of sales and excise tax paid in your state and on your tax rate. Ask your dealer about your state's tax rates.

Keep in mind that its deduction not credit,,,
    So if you are 15% tax bracket your savings are 0.15*2100=$315...
    Thats just 300 on a 30K car...Is your time worth that much?

Also if you are living in a high state tax states like CA, NY, NJ and are making >80K and have a mortgage deduction then probability is VERY HIGH that you are subject to AMT...then no deduction for you!!!

I am not a CPA...but devil is in the details

I believe tax deduction should not be considered at all in a anything that is an expense.
    For me if it is an expense it driven by two things
    1) Passion and/or
    2) Value/Utility

This is what I would consider
    1) Do you like the looks of 2010 or 2009 (Front grill is different)
    2) New transmission for Acura. Are you OK with it? Last time when honda/acura went from 4 speed to 5 speed it was a disaster. Transmission failing at 65K to 70K miles. Go read threads on MDX/Accord/TL board regarding 2000/2001 transmission
    3) How badly you need car now
    4) Time value of money Vs. Timing of car buying
  • I agree with sanjaysdca about the tax deduction. There are not too much we can get from tax deduction.

Does 2010 model has the same transmission for those in 2009? I heard about transmission problems about 2010 models as well.
  • Looking to buy an brand new MDX with tech package for 38-39K.Any good dealerships?
  • I bought a 2009 base model MDX. I paid $36,900 plus tax, tag and title. The price also included the added accessories of back up rear sensors, roof rack with kayak carrier. I think I could have gotten the car with those options for $1,000 less. Any comments?
  • ucarucar Posts: 3
    2099 MDX Tech/Ent - paid 39647 + 810 Dest. + 290 TTL. No other dealer accessories. Any comments ?

Another question - should I buy extended warranties on MDX ? such as extra 4 year bumper-to-bumper from Acura Care. if so, what is good price ?
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    Buyers of the new 2010 MDX should strongly consider a factory/dealer warranty on the tranny up to 100,000 miles. In fact, Honda/Acura should include this TRANSMISSION WARRANTY on all new '10 models with the 6 speed transmission. What better way to show the world you back up your products especially since Honda has a poor history with new transmissions?

I plan on negotiating the extended tranny warranty with the dealer. I really don't want to pay the rest of the extended warranty. I just want a $100-$200 transmission warranty.
  • Well tax deduction cannot be 'the' consideration but if available why wouldn't one want know about it or wouldn't want to use it. I didn't know about the deduction, the dealer told me (Buick Enclave, which I didn't buy). The artcile showed to me by her was by Govt who anticipated an avg $330 back to the buyer. In my case, being in a higher tax bracket, the amount is decent.
  • White/parchment interior. I liked it the best.
  • There are some features on the 2010 that I really like. New hard drive Navi/music, cooled seats, standard power liftgate, 19" wheels but for what price / time wait vs just picking up a 09?

It seems like if I purchase a new 09, not only will it be approx 8k cheaper but lots of extras can get thrown in. (rails, roof rack, mats, etc?) A couple questions for you all:

1) 09 - What dealer "extras" should you get and at what costs?
    2) 09 - If you new 09 today, do they give you the latest 10 Navi DVD disks?
    3) 09 - You cannot get Sport with a Navi? (forgive my ignorance)
    4) 10 - Best guest estimated release date in US? Why the delay?

I would love to just run down & pick up a 2010 Acura MDX Black/Black Tech & Advanced but wait till Jan/Feb & still pay MSRP+? ouch!
  • kyfdx,

>> Those incentives are for Canada, not the US.. You can look up current incentives right here on Edmunds.com.

With all due respect, I don't think Edmunds is updated at all. Even my local acura dealer is willing to admit that they have incentives of more than 2k. Edmunds says that there are no incentives at all.

As I have always maintained, I don't know what the true incentives are, and the website I referenced earlier may be referring to incentives only to Canada. But we are intelligent enough to guess what is the true dealer cost in USA from prices that various buyers are getting and posting on this forum. It is extremely difficult to accept dealer's word or simple 'assurances' of people of other poster's on the board.

Here is a small compilation of purchases from this board:

Tech:
    1) kechal, purchase price= 39.5k; location : manchester, ct, when=9-Nov;
    2) suharsh,purchase price= 38.7k, location =chicago, when: 7-Nov;
    3) surfin,purchase price= 39.7k + 599 (destination?), location =jacksonville, when = 9-Nov;

Tech/ent:
    1) sarav, purchase price= 41k location = pohanka, va, when = 7-Nov (likely deal was done prior to nov 4??);
    2) ucar, purchase price= 39.6+810 (destination), location = ??, when = 10-Nov

base
    1) lexluthor, purchase price= 34.1k, location =pohanka, va, when = 7-Nov, deal was done prior to nov 4
    2) cplin, purchase price= 34.5k, location = naperville, ilwhen = 7-Nov;
    3) michele19, purchase price= 36.9, location = ?? (Price included accessories such roof rack, kayak etc==> purchase price was in35.5k top 36k range;

Except for one all of them compare well with the price range that I had arrived at earlier after assuming that dealers are getting a 8500/- incentive (and not passing on to buyer's)
    Base - 34k-35k
    Sports/Ent - 42k-43k
    Sports - 40k-41k
    Tech - 38k-39k
    Tech/Ent - 40k-41k

Assuming that none of these deals resulted in a loss to the dealers concerned, there are two additional things to notice
    1) the incentives do not appear to end on 4 Nov as was discussed on the board
    2) the incentives do not appear to be specific to some high-volume dealers such as Pohanka, VA dealer - it is all over the country

Congratulations to the above buyers for their great bargaining skills.

ucar, getting a tech/ent for 39.6+810 destination is a great deal. This number is almost identical to what I gave my dealer. Would you be willing to share the location and dealership of purchase ?