Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Agree, generally. Without knowing if there are any incentive bonuses in place behind the scenes, you really don't know for sure how much is made by a particular dealer. There could be reasons to sell at a loss or very low margin....namely allocation of the newest model. So they lose or make very little on some inventory today but get access to more inventory on higher volume 2014 models down the road.
  • aarveeaarvee Posts: 5
    edited May 2013
    I bought it in April when the dealer cash was $1500 but now starting from May, dealer cash is $2500. So I guess one should be able to do better than my price if pushed harder but this works only when the dealer has considerable inventory that he needs to get rid off the lot. But what I have seen is that the dealers are left with base models and not many techs and advances. As pointed out multiple times here, DC is where the deals are.
  • ajaygajayg Posts: 5
    Agree that it has to do with the location/Inventory of the dealer. I negotiated with dealers in 3 states to get the price I got ($42,055) for MDX/Tech and that was after my initial offer of $42550 was declined by one local dealer. The dealers here did not seem to worry about clearing the lot.

btw, that's a truely amzing deal that you got. Did you have a trade-in and/or dealer financing?
  • aarveeaarvee Posts: 5
    No trade-in. The price I got was not contingent to financing with any of the dealers I dealt with. And I don't think this is great price either because the next best price was just $300 more. All three quotes I got were between $41k - $41.8K OTD for VA, I just chose the one that quoted lowest. I walked in with pre-approved 1.7% financing from a credit union. During the paper work, I came to knew that dealership can provide perm plates only when I go with their financing. So I offered to go with them if they can beat the rate I got from credit union and they did. So I ended up financing with them just because they offered better rate and perm plates.
  • solaris72solaris72 Posts: 15
    Thanks again. I called and talked to them, they confirmed that they need 2012 (used car) and my loan amount is going to remain same. I said myself, why cant i give a try?
    That's awesome. Congratulations once again on the great deal!
    Good Luck. Please let us know how it goes.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Sure, never hurts to give it a try as long as you can say no and don't have a better use of your time!

Make sure the term, rate, etc. also do not change. Payment isn't the only piece of the puzzle...I have no doubt they can get you into a loan for a similar payment...but it will cost you more one way or another. You've already made a years worth of payments on this one so don't forget that.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 770
    This is a very common sales tactic. You are not getting anything special out of this promotion. The fact that 2013 is the last year for this style probably means that you'll get a little more discount than you got on your 2012, but that will never offset the depreciation (and the first year is the worst year). Here's the important point to consider:

Even if your payment stays the same, you will be adding to the number of payments remaining on your loan. One way or another, you will be sucking up the first year's depreciation and increasing the amount you owe.

If there's nothing wrong with your 2012 MDX, it would be foolish to trade it (from a financial perspective).
  • solaris72solaris72 Posts: 15
    Thanks for your advice. I completely agree it may be sales tactics. The first email i received from them is not about trade, all they want is my mdx2012 which is shortage of stock and they are checking with me I'm ready to sell? When i asked for trade-in, they are ready for 2013 mdx exchange. Also they sales manager confirmed that load amount/months wont change at all. I checked with my friends and they are saying there may be a catch somewhere and i should be paying for DOC fee ,taxes etc (may around atleast 5k) which i will know only if go there on the weekend.

The advantage on my side will be I'm resetting my mileage to 0 from 12000 and also 1 year advanced model (212->2013). I don't believe there are any difference 2012 and 2013 models. I love what i have now!, so i will stand firm not to pay anything additional.
  • Rosenthal, Radley and Pohanka had really aggressive sales and promotions this past weekend.

I ended up going to Radley because it was a closer drive from Philly and they had the a color combination we were looking for.

I somehow got sidetracked when meeting with the finance person. I was pre-approved at 1.74% and somehow they brainwashed me into using their lender at a higher rate (2.24). Good thing that auto loans aren't like mortgages so there is no cost to refinance back to 1.74. On top of that, gap coverage through the credit union is only 349 instead of 875 through the dealer.

Total damage for 13 MDX w Tech was 39.5 +TTL. TN was my sales rep and I highly recommend!
  • Cool.. congrats on your MDX.
  • daptekdaptek Posts: 28
    Anyone knows when are they showing up at dealerships?
  • My sales rep said due to the production delay, the earliest they will be shipping 2014's is July. Based on previous production delays, it will end up being more like August.
  • gkapoorgkapoor Posts: 4
    May I ask you to please share where are you getting 1.74 rate for the refinance. I might be interested in the same rate if the bank allows out of state refinance.

Thx - G
  • thanks... i actually ended up buying a 2013 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 for $7K lower than MSRP. If anyone is interested, you can talk to Saad or Vas from Hoehn Mercedes Benz in Carlsbad (north of San Diego).

awesome vehicle... and i'm enjoying it on my drives along the coast/ beaches!!!
  • dcikhaeddcikhaed Posts: 1
    May I ask if this is a good deal?

$39500 includes destination
    $695 Preparation (Same as Document Fee?)
    $650 Financial charge (I'm going to put $5000 down and do financing)
    $425 Registration and License
    $3625 NY Tax

Total: $44895
    OTD: $44500
  • pash22pash22 Posts: 1
    Can anyone comment on this deal below..? I had a tough time to get any dealer in CT to come down on sell price for mdx.

negotiated price with destination = 38, 300
    dealer conveyance = 399

minus
    trade in (2006 honda crv SE with 132k miles ) = 6700

total OTD = 32000 + 200 (registration, transfer of plates) + tax (6.35%) = 34, 244
  • I am not sure prices in CT, but to me it feels couple of grands more.
  • Pentagon Federal Credit Union is offering 1.74 up to 72 months. I just checked the rates and they are still valid for June. If you do not meet the qualifications to join for free, you can make a one time donation (15-20) to one of their charities.
  • roys1981roys1981 Posts: 3
    I was able to get 35500 plus ttl till last month for the base mdx. I called rosenthal and pohanka and they have both given me prices of 36700 and 38600 respectively. Do you all think its because its the first part of the month and I should be able to get a better deal end of this month. Also i was expecting the prices to go down a little bit with the new model coming out next month. I am a bit disappointed. Could you all give me your insight as to the best time to buy for he best price.
  • tmk786tmk786 Posts: 5
    What should I expect to pay in Dallas TX area??
    sticker is about 55.7K. I got offer of 49.7K
    I heard they had 8K of in Memorial weekend on any MDX.
    How about 10yr extended warranty??
    Thank you for your help.
  • gkapoorgkapoor Posts: 4
    thanks a lot! I will give them a call to see if I refinance @1.74%
  • siusidesiuside Posts: 6
    Anywhere between 7k-8k off MSRP is a good price.
  • offcityoffcity Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    Anyone who made a deal for 2014 MDX?

I made a refundable deposit for 2014 MDX (AWD + Tech) recently to secure the first batch.

But, I'm still interested in some features of Advanced package. Sadly, $8000 difference from Tech isn't small money to justify. I believe it's bloated at least $1000. From the tech pack, the advanced package has: RES($2500, a bit better than Tech+RES package) + Exterior features (roof rail + parking sensors = $1000) + Driving assistance (CMBS + AAC + LKA = $2500) + Ventilated seats ($700) = $6700. Maybe different wheel is worthy of $1000?

So, I'm trying to find a dealership who would do any discount on the advanced package. Do you think it's gonna work at this time?

I'm in SF bay area, where 4-6 dealerships are there. Any information for buying 2014 will be appreciated!
  • ushy66ushy66 Posts: 187
    edited June 2013
    Advanced Pkg requires getting the new 16.2" split screen Res system, which unfortunately does not exactly have hi-res, and Acura like you said is pricing it ~ $2500.

So, if you want entertainment for the kidos in the 2nd row, a much better option would be to get the Tech Pkg + get two 10" iPad 4's, Wi-Fi w/16GB w/retinal display w/superior res (iPad 5 is rumored to be released soon) at a cost of ~ $500 ea. ( link title ) + two iPad backseat car mounts/holders ( link title ) available for a nominal fee (b/n $12-40 ea = $80/two for best) + $30-50 ea for ear buds/Kidz Gear headphones (link title ) for the iPads = $1,000 (pair iPad4's) + $80 (pair iPad backseat mounts) + $100 (pair Kidz Gear headphones) = $1,180 total for a very nice MDX Res alternative, with lots of versatility and potential to entertain the kidos (big and small)!

Thoughts?

Jake
  • offcityoffcity Posts: 6
    Yup, if I wanted the rear entertainment system (RES), there is no reason to buy the advanced package. As you suggested, iPad is much better option.

But, I want some features in the advanced package, not RES. That's the problem. I just hope if a dealership does some discount on that. I believe at least a couple of months it won't be easy to get a discount on MDX 2014 models.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jimfireftrjimfireftr Posts: 26
    What would be your choice. Obviously pricing has not been revealed for the 2014 Highlander Limited, but I believe these will be similar to the current sales prices of the 2013 MDX w/ Tech package. Your thoughts?
  • ushy66ushy66 Posts: 187
    edited June 2013
    IMO, performance and styling/cosmetics (ext/int) goes to 2013 MDX w/tech, whereas value (feature content) and pricing (anticipated) goes to 2014 Highlander LTD w/AWD.

Jake