Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZMW - What do you think?

jlvjlv Posts: 14
edited March 24 in Yugo
Does (did) anyone have a Yugo? What did you

think about it?

Just curious about everyone's opinion on the new

"Yugo" - aka the ZMW.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/23/0423yugo.html.html

Comments

• jlvjlv Posts: 14
    Well, apparently this discussion is DOA. If the lack of response here is any indication, the new Yugo is destined to again be a "no-go".

Shucks! I created a "dead" discussion on Edmunds. What an ego-buster.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Hey jlv,

I used to own 3 Fiat 128s. Yugo adopted the design from Fiat for the Yugo. I personally think they were good cars (if you stayed on top of the repairs). Reliable,never let me down (ok they would stop in a heavy downpoors due to the dist getting wet).

I think this new Yugo from the pictures will sell. Unfortunately ZMW has the Yugo rep to ward off. ZMW seems to be giving you an expensive look for not a lot of money. I would like to see more pictures before I make a final jugdement.

Lets see, should I buy a BMW or a ZMW...HMM.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Interesting article. It will be interesting to see how the ZMW does here. I didn't see any information on the specs in the article, but I think the very low price will certainly draw some interest.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • dustidusti Posts: 36
    that's the ticket.

No one will notice they're BACK.

Who says you can't skin a sheep twice?
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Posts: 109
    I wont bore you with details but it was a good little car. Ill buy one when they come out. As long as these yugos have a good warranty and a few dealers around. I think zmw has a just as good chance as the Koreans do. Any one know for sure when they'll be selling here?
    Please give some details.

I can't find any dates on the web, but based on my limited search,
    Zastava (the maker of Yogos) has been doing business with other
    countries in Europe.

At this point, I'm curious.
    I too am having problems with finding any thing new on ZMW. Last Fridays USA. TODAY had a big article on the new yugo imports that are coming to the USA. The article went on to say that ZMW is bringing a 2 door hatch,a 4 door sedan and a small pick up truck. These new cars will be using Peugeot engines and transmissions. The pictures shown were of the sedan and hatch and I think they look like they have a hint of Jag style to them. The only sites I know of that have any thing on yugo are Epinions.com and carsurvey.org.
    also before I go I just read that ZMW will try to bring them to the US market next year at a cost of $5,000 to $10,000. If I find any thing new Ill post it.
  • lespacelespace Posts: 9
    Actually, the ZMWs to be sold in the US will have engines supplied by Peugeot, Volkswagen or another of Europe's automakers. There doesn't seem to be definitve word.

I'm not too sure about the styling of these. The Jaguar-inspired front of the "Florida" model (as it's known in Europe) is at odds with the boxy form it is attempting to dress up. It might've been simpler (and more elegant) to emulate something like VW's styling.

The smaller new model "Koral" actually has more unified design overall but easily gives away its Yugo origins. It strongly resembles the current Hyundai Accent but with hints of a recent Alfa hatch.

I would actually consider buying the truck. A mini-truck hasn't been on the US market in years.
    Have you seen what this little truck looks like?
    I found a picture of the "Florida" and "Skala" at:

http://www.zastavasa.co.yu/Index1.htm

but I couldn't get the pictures to copy/paste.

(NOTE: Click on Automobili.)

• lespacelespace Posts: 9
    The pictures on the Zastava website are not the new designs that will be sold in the US. Check here instead:

http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/flsedan.htm

http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/kcurrent2.htm

I haven't found a picture of a new truck yet. I also found out that www.zastava.com is NOT the forthcoming US sales website. It is some other company.

Pretty neat looking cars.
    The new models do look interesting (aka better). I wish I could find out when they are to arrive here in the U.S.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Florida

That front end looks very different depending on the angle. The rear is just as controversal. All in all a nice design (especially in this price range). You can still see the Fiat 128 origins.

Koral

Neat design. Interior is a little lacking. Makes my Hyundai seem like a luxoboat. I like the front end treatment the most. Since when have you seen projector headlights in this price class. They may be onto something.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    My God, the outside of that car looks just like my 84 Rabbit!! Tack on some rectangular sealed beam headlights and some metal bumpers and it would be a Rabbit. It's uncanny the resemblance. With some different headlights and a nicer interior, it would be a neat car.

As for the Florida, its design looks very mid-80s, like a box on wheels. The rear end styling is strange to say the least and the front only looks good head on. I don't like it and I'm not sure that model would sell too well here. I mean the side profile looks like a Hyundai Excel sedan or an Isuzu I-Mark.
    The more I looked at it the more it does look like a rabbit
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    So when will these things be added to the "Future Models" section?
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    Anyone find any specs on these things yet? I haven't....nothing but the above pictures, actually.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    Look up Malcom Bricklin's track record. He couldn't even make it in the bicycle business and he's busted out of the auto business 3 times:
    Subaru 360 (importer), Bricklin(mfr), Yugo (importer).

I doubt he'd know a good car if one ran him over.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Ok I just got a better gander at the yugo truck and yes its a little plain jane but for the price you could buy it and beat the heck out of it and not feel bad. Look at the ranger and s-10 4 cyl trucks and you might see you really dont get much for the price. For $6k or so why not? The next time your teenage kid wants the keys to go driving just go a head and hand them over ha ha ha. I might get one just to say I owned one. I guess that makes me a freak.
This discussion has been closed.