Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's gonna cost HOW much???

1234568»

Comments

• fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    I don't really "understand" the pricing for glass in a rational sense. I was not long ago advised that a windshield for my 2K Villager listed around $1100.00, so I should consider such when setting up my deductibles on my insurance. For my 99 Ranger, the windshield is buyable at under $300.00, yet little, dark side glass for this "4-door" pickup was some outrageous thing-- so high I can't stand to type it!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    Me neither. Apparently there are "grades" of glass that you can buy for one thing, also grades and quality of tinting. I never really bothered to spend the time to figure out how this industry works.

I can see where rare vehicles, or seldom replaced pieces, require higher prices (economy of scale and all that), but why a windshield for common cars like a Villager or PT Cruiser are over $1000, beats me.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    maybe because of radio antennas or rain sensors for the wipers ??
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    the auto glass pricing model looks like the hospitalization pricing model to me these days. if lizard insurance only pays $400 for a DeSoto windshield, that is what the market will bear. except for Joe Cashpockets who is restoring one, then the price is $1200 or something outlandish.

ever see an itemized hospital bill? for a heart attack and stent 6 years ago, the bill was almost $90,000. I was 3 days short of my company medical going into effect, so county welfare picked it up, at about $38,000. there were $14 aspirins and $65 IV bottles and the doctor's fees for angiography and two stents were $14,000 -- numbers that shocked the cardiologist, who of course got nothing near that amount, not even in the same galaxy.

if you got it, we'll use you to even out our fiscal projections -- that's the list price difference.
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.