Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Full Test

We take a few hot laps in larger, leaner and twin-turbocharged 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport in our latest full road test.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• nainanaina Member Posts: 1
    There is a life changing workshop happening in Bangalore next Sunday (22nd Sep).
    You may check out the details (click here) --> http://goo.gl/Rs6UpL

Everyone deserves a wonderful life. We are busy doing everything but improving our own life style. Good things do happen some times.
    Life changing moments happens once in a blue moon.

Please do not miss this opportunity. For any questions, please call Aneef at +91 77955 83702.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    5.1 sec to 60? The Audi S6 with 420 does it in less than 4 seconds. The Audi may cost a bit more, but it looks better and goes better. Cadillac screw up the rear half of this new CTS and made it look like your grandfather's Cadillac. Not good.
  • johnshajohnsha Member Posts: 0
    S6=4,398 lbs CTS V-Sport=3,971 lbs! Which car will be faster on track? AWD puts power down better than RWD in 0-60, but does not make it a faster car. Cadillac has the MR suspension, more advanced than Audi. Does not go better, and looks the same as every other bland VW/Audi product from the last 30 years.
  • saunupe1911saunupe1911 Member Posts: 9
    MotorTrend tested the same make/model on the same track and got 4.4 and 12.9. I assume it was the same day since both of your stories went live this AM. SMH
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Has anyone tried to report these ads? I had trouble with the screen not loading. Naina needs to go.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Does the CTS finally have the rear seat legroom that a car in this class should have? People choose a 5 series over a 3 series because they need a car with more room. The prior version of the CTS had horrible rear legroom, especially if the driver/front passenger were tall. In a car the size of the CTS a 6 foot rear seat passenger should easily fit behind a 6 foot driver.
    Is anyone else sick of this car before it even comes out? As a luxury car its nice but GM falls into this trap where the auto media convince them to make it sporty, then they lose its luxury essence. To see that barge wallowing around the track is just gauche. And dark rims with a chrome eggcrate grille? Who are we trying to kid??? I'm embarrassed for the guy who falls for all this and gets laughed out of the company parking lot. Opt for the brite wheels and pry the V badge off- but do go for the 420 hp. I mean, this is still America.
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    @jeffinoh - I was able to buddy.

In regards to the CTS VSport- Looks are subjective, I personally really like the styling both on the interior and exterior. It's a great match for the S6, 550i, E550, and M56. The braking and handling were obviously super
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    2014 model is 4.2 inches longer w/ 1.2-inch-longer wheelbase yet has less rear legroom than previous version and is also uglier.

20-hp edge over the 400-hp 2013 550i yet slower in quarter-mile. The relevant model-year 2014 550i w/ 445 hp will provide the smack down.
  • drjohn43drjohn43 Member Posts: 0
    Problem is the V-Sport is priced too high, starting at $59,070 with the legendary CTS-V only a little over $4000 more at $63,600. Then, making no sense at all, is the V-Sport Premium edition priced at $69, 070, almost 6 grand more than the V!
    Would anybody buy a BMW 550i if he could have an M5 for almost the same money? Who's doing the pricing at Government Motors, anyway?
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Who will not pony up the $ for the faster car? Well, they have different personalities. How fast do you really need to go? Are you willing to pay higher insurance, taxes, and have a stiffer ride? I think having a mid-way model is a great idea. Those are subjective questions that the buyer has to decide. While I might find the 550 a good choice the CTS-V always had a siren song playing for me. At the prices quoted, I think I would fall for the CTS-V over a V-sport. But nice to know if you are careful pricing out your options the V-sport looks pretty impressive. And Edmuinds, get the "report it" button working or police the site better.
  • cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    i put more stock in Edmund's timed acceleration numbers since they have, well, you know, an actual testing protocol: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/how-we-test-cars-and-trucks.html
    how can i say this and not step on too many toes. other publications lie to get fast numbers and multiply by magic numbers. the end.
  • speedyshiftspeedyshift Member Posts: 2
    Two issues with the video and the explanation:
    1) The words "breaking" and "braking" are different. Use the proper one.
    2) The current BMW 550i doesn't have 400 bhp. It has a 445 bhp TT-V8. I'm not sure that Edmunds has tested the new(er) 550i with the boost upgrade.
  • saunupe1911saunupe1911 Member Posts: 9
    Correction, C&D got 4.4 0 to 60. MotorTrend got consistent 4.8. It was probably too humid. Either way, impressive!!!
  • cwalton1cwalton1 Member Posts: 3
    ...like cynic783 said, we publish our testing protocol freely (http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/how-we-test-cars-and-trucks.html). Please take a look. If you notice, we published our 1-foot rollout 0-60 time (as the "others" use without saying so), at 4.8-seconds, or in lock step with at least one reputable magazine. As for the other "other" one, well, let's just say their "proprietary" method for weather correction (especially when applied to turbocharged cars when those don't qualify for such correction) is tied to about 50 years of data that they didn't want to make obsolete because modern technology and methodology says it is. "They" will always be faster, but we won't compromise our integrity to beat them on paper (or in a computer).
    Chris Walton
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    @ johnsha, right, because a few seconds' difference in track performance is so important in the real world
  • fireflyer239fireflyer239 Member Posts: 0
    C/D got the Caddy-claimed 4.4 along with a 111 trap speed, so I'm guessing your test example was having an off day. I'll assume you couldn't test acceleration of the gray car that day, along with the red one?
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Interior looks identical to rental Malibu.
  • _driver72__driver72_ Member Posts: 13
    Priced too high.
    This CTS VSport is priced right with the BMW 550i
    Problem is the 550i has a turbocharged V8, not a V6 like the Caddy.
    And the BMW, is well, a BMW, from Germany.
    In order for Cadillac to take sales away, there needs to be good reasons.
    Getting a turbocharged V6 from General Motors, for the same (or similar) price as a turbocharged V8 from BMW, isn't going to steal many sales away.
    It needs to be like Hyundai. Give them MORE for LESS, but don't give up much in the way of quality.
    The CTS Vsport should be about $55k to start and the Premium Trim level at $62k maxed out.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I'll take Edmunds test numbers any day over unadvertised 1ft rollouts or (worse) "corrected" values. That said the trap speed on this car suggests either heatsoak or a down on power motor. To avoid heatsoak one of the other magazines was told "Rather than coasting in neutral as usual, the recommendation was to maintain 70-80 mph in a gear that would put 1-2 pounds of boost through the turbos and intercoolers, hence keeping that circuit active and cooling." Interesting.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Worth 25k+ more than an Acura TL with 4wd? Probably not, unless you really care about going faster. But if you really care about that you will not waste 70k on this Caddy anyway.
    The Germans are selling cars like hotcakes in the $60-100k price range. Caddy just wants to be up where they are. Can ya blame them?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @dfelix70: Audi S6 does 0-60 in 4.5s, not under 4.
  • jack302jack302 Member Posts: 1
    Enough with the summer tires already. I don't care about a 1/10 of a second, I want good all seasons tires in the northeast part of the country. GM should give the customer a choice between summer or all seasons tires at sale. No summer tires north of the Mason/Dickson line.