Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• abhaytabhayt Posts: 6
    This morning the Michellin tire on my Sienna burst :mad: on the highway, I have about 22,000 miles on it. Will the warranty cover the rire ?
  • terry2002terry2002 Posts: 1
    Is the 60K recommended service worth it for my 2002 Sienna (now at 66K miles) ? Dealer fee is $400, includes repl. engine air filter, rotate tires maybe spark plugs (tho the guy said I had platinum and didn't need replacement), replace PCV valve and replace coolant. Plus "inspections" of 14 other things. But I managed to dig out the service book from pvs owner. He had 45k service where they also replaced the coolant and air filter. I am ok with a new air filter now, but some of the car sites say coolant is only every 30,000 miles, which means I have a ways to go if that's true.
    Four hundred smacks seems like a lot.
    MPG: This car gets 15 mpg city. Spozed to be 19 according to specs. My 99 Sienna would get me from Indy to South Haven on one tank of gas. Ideas?
  • jprocjproc Posts: 134
    I have a 2000 XLE coming up on the 120k marker.I had the spark plugs replaced with platinum plugs at 60k. Do they last longer than the recommended 60k change?
  • nybuyernybuyer Posts: 9
    I'm picking up my brand new '08 Sienna this week. :) I was wondering what other owners would recommend as add-ons after buying the vehicle... things that add to the comfort of the van or maintain it in optimal condition.

For example, carpet floor mats were included in my purchase, but I heard WeatherTech all-weather mats are great. Should I spend about $150 on these mats to keep the van cleaner year round? I do have 3 young boys. But, I'm not sure if these high-end mats are worth it.

And, what about a cargo liner, side window deflectors, sunroof deflector, etc? Do you feel it's worth it to get these things? Anything else? Do you recommend any specific brands or stores to get the products?

Thanks for any input.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You could inspect them and re-gap them at 60k again, but plugs are so cheap it's not worth it. Plus you want receipts to prove you did the work for the next buyer.
    my mechanic at the 60k service charged me 26 a piece for 6 platinum plugs total of $ 156 then he charged me 163.20 for labor so 4 + years ago I paid $ 319.20 to replace my plugs.Daresay was my trusted mechanic taking me to the cleaners here?
    That seems a bit excessive. I get Bosch platinums for under $4 a pop.

Where they Iridium or some premium brand or something?
    thx for the info.I'll be a lot more careful about getting estimates for this before I get the plugs changed
  • Hi,

I have a 2000 Sienna. My dealer told me that Toyota doesn't recommend transmission flush. He also said I don't need to change transmission oil filter. What I need is simply to drain the old oil and then refill. Is it true? If so, is it difficult to change the oil by myself? Your help is much appreciated.

JD
  • How do I change the back 3 sparks plugs [by firewall] on the 2004 Toyota Sienna ?

Thank you
  • Is the TIMMING BELT in the Toyota a chaine or a rubber belt, Also when does it needs to be changed

:) Regards
    Charlie
    Belt up until model year 2006.

Chain from 2007 onward.

Not sure of the interval because I have an 07 with a chain.
  • My 06 Sienna LE has a peculiar driver side wiper problem. Somehow the driver side arm stopped rotating while passenger side arm continuing it's normal course and then moving over the stopped driver side arm and get stuck. I did untangle them and found that the nut securing the driver side arm was loose. I tighten it up as much as I could but again after about 100 miles of driving under rain the problem recurred. Again I tightened the nut and after 100 miles it was loose. Any one know what needs to be done? TIA.
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    Can't speak to this particular wiper problem but if the problem can be solved with keeping the nut tight then just get some of the liquid that does this at the hardware store. I've forgotten the name. Just be sure to get light or medium strength. They have different products and some would make it damn near impossible to loosen.
    Loc-tite.

I recommend that, too.
  • I just replaced spark plugs on my 2002 sienna.Three plugs in the back are little difficult.when you stand infront of the vachile look on the rear right side of the engine, there is a little space that you could put your hand and feel the coils.
    use a 10 mm socket to remove the coil.be careful not to loose the rubber gromet.Before you loosen the coil remove the wire harnes.There is alittle clip on the wire harnes.you need to press on the clip while pulling to unlock it. once you remove the coil and stem use a spark plug socket by inserting the socket and extention first then the rachet.
    You could do two plugs from the right side, the third one you need to access from the left.There is a little hose on top of the left side plug, you could pull it up and move to the side.Same with the ground wire behind. let me know how you make it.
  • I have a 2002 Sienna LE with 72,000 miles on it. I bough it used with 56,000 miles.

The vehicle runs good but, I was thinking about getting a Transmission Fluid change and Timing belt work done. The quotes here run at $650+Tax for Timing belt and $80+Tax for Transmission fluid change. Transmission fluid flush costs $165+Tax.

I see than some of you have mentioned Timing Belt can wait until 90,000 Miles. What do you say about 2002 model. Its 7 years old. And also can you advice if Transmission fluid drain and fill is sufficient or should I get a Transmission flush done.

I don't have much knowledge on these. Any advices welcome.

TIA
    What does the owner's manual say?

Also, what does it say about age? The van is 7 years old. So if they say 7 years or 90k miles, you're still due.
    I have an 00 and did the timing belt about 2.5 years ago at 90k.I think I paid about $300 for it though.There is a place here on edmunds about maintenance which will give you an idea what it should cost
  • The repair shops say - that the water pump needs to be replaced when they do the timing belt. They say, if the water pump breaks down later, it would be a pain as they have to redo a lot and labor costs would be high. Any ideas?
    Like I said mine was done 2+ years ago and they did the water pump as well.My memory still says about 300.I checked the edmunds maintenance site and they said it should cost you about $220 to have the timing belt changed.I really don't know what a water pump goes for.
    Mine was done at a Toyota dealership which was running a special at the time-still I think 600 sounds way too much.Try Pep boys see what they would charge you for a water pump
  • MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 2
    My 2005 Sienna has a burnt-out bulb almost monthly! It's usually a different one but we've had some repeats. Has anyone else had frequent taillight, brakelight, and headlight outages? :(
  • I have a 2002 model with 100,000 Miles. When I come to a stop a strange noise from under the van. Any idea what this could be? .
  • obidanobidan Posts: 1
    2000 Sienna: This is a recent problem: The parking/tail lights do NOT come on when turned on with the switch - only the headlights come on. When the brakes are applied, ALL of the lights (including the front parking lights) come on. I have checked all of the fuses - Although I didn't expect to find anything since they all work at some point. Any clues? Thanks.
  • On a 2002 Sienna , where is the PCV valve located and how hard is to replace it?
  • Thanks guys. I will check with the auto shops and ask them to just do the timing belt and leave the water pump out for now.
    One tip I'd say it to replace them in pairs.

Usually the 2nd one fails right after the first.

So if a tail light burns out, replace the other side at the same time, else you'll be doing it again a week later.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I have an 06 LE with 64K miles, everytime I bring it to the dealer and ask if these need replacing he says no. They did "clean" the PCV once. Every other car I have ever owned has had it replaced before 60K. When is the PCV and fuel filter due to be replaced on this thing?? Is it a major hassle to replace the fuel filter so they don't want to do it as a preventive maintenance issue?
  • crestonavecrestonave Posts: 219
    Here's a word to the wise, or at least I hope it is:

We purchased a 2007 Sienna new in April of 2007. We purchased the prepaid maintenance from the Toyota dealer when we bought the car. It covers scheduled maintenance for the first three years.

We just took the Sienna in for scheduled 15,000 mi. maintenance. This is our fifth visit since we've owned the car. Every time we've been in, without fail, the dealer has tried to get us to agree to pay for items that they "recommend". Today's nut would have been $329 if we had agreed to it. It included draining and refilling the transmission fluid, among other things. The only "extra" I've agreed to, in a moment of weakness, was a new cabin air filter, and I probably didn't even need that.

There isn't a manufacturer in the world, unless you're plowing snow or pulling stumps, that requires a transmission service such as this at 15,000 mi. After a brief and polite discussion we finally were able to make it clear to the service adviser that the only work we wanted them to perform was that which was covered under the prepaid plan. This includes any maintenance required by in the Toyota warranty book, including oil change and tire rotation.

I guess they're just doing their job trying to make a few extra bucks, but it's darn annoying to have to have this discussion every time we go to the dealership. Bottom line: beware of dealer service extras. Don't agree to them unless you think you really need them.
  • mweinstemweinste Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. How did you fix it?