Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

1171819202123»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did she hit anything? Seems like it would take a lot of energy to break a spring.
  • Our 2009 Sienna lost all of its' refrigerant charge. Tech found a leak at front evaporator core with sniffer. Turns out Toyota's new design requires the replacement of a $1300 assembly, plus about $1000 in labor to tear dash out. Don't think I'll get any help from Toyota on this, but isn't it unreasonable to expect a $2300 repair on a 4 year old vehicle? This is our 4th and probably last Toyota. Any similar experiences??
  • waterwomynwaterwomyn Posts: 4
    Well, you should be upset about the failure in only 4 years, but you would pay the same if it was a Chevy or Dodge. Repair costs and parts prices are through the roof. The parts are expensive, but I would call around for a few other estimates from independents.
  • joew_01joew_01 Posts: 1
    wills5,

We had the same problem with our 2001 Sienna and tried your fix. It works! A couple of hours after, it idled about 300 rpm. it took a day or so for the idle to stay up around 1100 rpm.

A thousand thanks for posting this. We like our dealer & their service guys, but this was great.
  • zontar101zontar101 Posts: 2
    Had the same exact problem with my 2004 Sienna XLE. The control arm rubber around the metal middle completely came apart. We found out when we were experiencing a kind of jerking stop when backing up.

This year had the same problem with the top motor mount; the rubber again essentially is failing.

What I found was that a good, trusted auto body repair shop was able to do the repair at about 40% the cost of the dealer for the control arms.

Good luck with your fix, hopefully it wont be too painful
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    135k miles on my 06 Sienna. Had to replace the fuel pump. Car would run fine then suddenly lose power while underway. Fixed by restarting, but would then happen again.

Dealer kept it for a few days to duplicate and wound up replacing the fuel pump. $900 as it was in the fuel tank. They did not have one in stock as they say they never break - just my luck.

I suppose I can't complain too much about the repair - other than the inconvenience as it happened while on vacation so we never made our destination.

In nearly 8 years and 135k miles this is the second repair. First was a new actuator for the power door that I installed myself. So total repairs over 8 years is just over $1,000. I would rather have no repairs, but I suppose things could be much worse if a tranny went bad or head gasket blew.

Of course my Accord has 165k miles and has a total of $105 in repairs (O2 Sensor), so my expectations are pretty high.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,744
    Time to change the transmission fluid on my 04 Sienna FWD. Have read a few how to's and none mention the filter. Has anyone done this? My thinking is that it has to be folly to change the fluid and leave the old filter in, but what is the official word on this?
  • You should drain it, drop the pan and change the gasket and filter, check for damage, put back together and add fluid. Really should never just change the fluid, although that is what so-called transmission jiffy shops do now days.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    Getting to three of the pan retaining bolts is made very difficult by a frame rail. I bought a wrench with what looks to be the right sweep to get in there, and will let you know when I get a chance to do the job if it works. The new filter and gasket are on the workbench. I also need to hit Toyota for some type WS (mine is an '08) tranny fluid.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    My turn signals stopped working so I figured it was a blown fuse (first one in 13.5 years of ownership)Anyway got out the owners manual which told me fuse box was under the hood.Found it and then realized rest of manual might as well have been written in an extinct dialect as I couldn't figure out what fuse was supposed to do what-my manual appears to say that the turn signals are governed by a 7.5 amp fuse-alas I have no 7.5 amp fuses-it also appears to say that it is the one in the upper right hand corner-after 45 minites I managed to extract the fuse in that spot (gnarling up both my hands in the process) and replaced it and nothing happened.
    So if anyone has a sienna of that year and knows anything about the fuses HELP.
    Lastly my hoses appear cracked in spots-I'm guessing that means I should replace them but am hoping someone who knows better than I will tell me its normal for hoses to look like that
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    My 2006 Sienna says the transmission fluid is lifetime and not to change it.
  • freebirdfreebird Posts: 77
    With both signals not working, I would suspect the fuse. Could also be bad flasher relay. This relay can be seen by using a flashlight and looking to the left of the fuse panel that is at the driver's left knee. On my '99 LE it says "relay toyota" and the part number. You have to remove this panel to get to it. You may try pulling the fuse and replacing a few time to remove any resistance on the contacts. Otherwise this relay is in the $40 range.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    Thx-turns out it was the relay-starting to think keeping this car is a mistake-put 2k into it for repairs last year and another 550 today-seal was shot around the transmission pan and car was leaking fluid