Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    I don't think you can turn the radio off, but you can listen to a different program up front while the kids watch a DVD - with headphones.
  • pjksrpjksr Posts: 111
    Hopefully, you've fixed this by now...

My 2002 Sienna intermittently had this problem. The cause may be your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC). It's common, if you Google.

I used some Seafoam "Deep Creep" to clean, loosen and lube my IAC valve, and the problem has disappeared (it's going on about 2 months now)... Let me know if you need more info.

Pete
  • mikebalmikebal Posts: 8
    Hi, Can anyone suggest where I can order a repair manual for my 2005 Sienna? Thanks in advance, Mike
  • snavasnava Posts: 1
    2002 Sienna Symphony. Tire Pressure check light was up. Took it to a gas station and adjusted the tire pressure and reset the "tire pressure" warning button.

I started the car but it stops right away when I take my leg off the gas pedal (idling??). Towed the car to the Toyota Dealer. They called me after 5 hours and said they could not reproduce the problem and computer diags do not show any issues.

I am afraid to drive this on the HWY just in case it stalls on me while I break or something. Have anyone experienced this problem before? Should the Toyota mechanic look into this more rather than relying on the computer diags?
  • nananomnananom Posts: 11
    On my 04 Sienna,which I hadly drive,is it ok to change oil after about seven months,the time it takes to drive 3000 miles?
  • lxpatellxpatel Posts: 34
    i have 07 sienna XLE Limited FWD with all options, the NEW 3.5L engine, a friend of mine has 06 XLE with similar option, with the old 3.3L engine, I for some reason seem to hear more grunt or noisier engine compared to my friends 3.3L, has anyone heard this?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's fine, the normal interval is actually 5000 miles, but due to the length of time I'd stick with your plan.
    It's not just your impression, the new engine is louder. For starters, it uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt.

However, Toyota added more sound insulation in the firewall and under the doors. I have a PDF that even shows where they did this.
  • hum3hum3 Posts: 19
    Just bought an 07 LE, the hatch seems very hard to open and close for my wife and kids, it is just us, and is there anything to do about it?
    Keep in mind the LE models have an electric close-assist latch, so press the button to release the lock and wait a second before you lift it so it can let go.

To close, just drop the hatch. The electric latch will close it, so you don't have to slam it.

CE models do not have this, those have regular manual latches.
    Thanks, it just seems that it's hard to pull it down enough to get to the point where it closes. And when opening, even after the lock is opened it seems a little hard to pull it up. The kids are especially having a time with it, but on my caravan they did just fine.
  • ckcarpriceckcarprice Posts: 29
    Anyone have experience on Vehicle Service Agreement offered
    by Toyota, called PLATINUM PLAN? I have the link bellow.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_pricing_sienna.html

Does anyone have price with zero deductible for 7 year plan?
    Dealers are offering when you buy a new vehicle. Plan
    activates after your 3yrs/36k warranty expires. Per dealer there is no paperwork involved.
    Look at SiennaClub forums they have dealers to sell for about $900 or so.
  • do you remember which topic in siennaclub?
  • caravan2caravan2 Posts: 198
    ODY care and maint. is active. I don't see many problems posted here. Does this means Ody and more problems then Siennas?
    Could be. I wouldn't read too far into that, though.

Mine was delivered with no antennae at all, and a small hole in the passenger side sun visor.

No major problems, though, plus those were fixed.
  • caravan2caravan2 Posts: 198
    I also noted that Sienna has 55 members and Ody has 140+ members.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    I have tried removing the two bolts that hold the lens and am afraid that I will break the outside taillight lens on my Daughter in laws 01 Sienna. The tailight is burned out. I even went to the Toyota dealers to find out how to change this bulb. They were no help. Does anyone know how to remove this outside ( not in the tailgate) lens? The owners manual is missing so don't tell me to look there.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    This is a really great forum. I posted a request for information eight days ago and have yet to get an answer.
    Sarcasm isn't going to help.

You gotta remember what these are - minivans. You're not getting the typical Fix-it-yourself owners that change their own burned out light bulbs. I bet 95% of Sienna owners go to a dealer to do that.

Not to mention it's not like a lot of bulbs have burned out given this model has only been out since 2004 (about 3-4 years). Most bulbs last much longer, more like 10 years. So we haven't even reached a point where many owners have had bulbs burn out.

I changed the bulbs on my Forester (after 9 years) and on my sister's Forester (5 years for hers, short lifespan). Mine were accessible from an access panel inside the car.

Hers puzzled me. You had to remove the whole assembly, just like you mention above. I recall removing 2 screws, then tilting it and pulling it out, basically. I was gentle so I didn't break anything. It felt like there were more screws holding it in place, but it was just 2 rubber plugs that sort of held it in place, and those 2 screws.

I bet your Sienna is like that.

If you figure it out, please share and take pics to help others. That's the whole idea - we all contribute, so it benefits the next person that runs across that problem.

In other words, if you want a great forum, contribute your knowledge. I'm totally serious.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Juice makes a great point - these forums are cooperative efforts and they depend on everyone's input. I hope you will let us know how you make out.
    First off - buy a manual. They are important. Better yet buy a service manual if you want to do your own maintenance.

Secondly - how is it possible that a Toyota dealer does not know how to change a light bulb? Try a different dealer.

On the 06 you undo 2 bolts and pull the cover off.

Go to one of the car parts places that installs bulbs for free - I think Pep Boys etc.

Lots of options - driving 8 days without a tailight should not be one of them.
  • gamma_raygamma_ray Posts: 3
    Hello,

Where do you find a manual? I have searched everywhere (on the internet) and can find only the older model (2002 and earlier) models.

Thanks.
    Sounds like the beginning of a "how many Toyota dealers does it take to screw in a light bulb" joke. :D
  • ramen20ramen20 Posts: 1
    If I want to remove the engine immobilizer flashing light, how to turns it off?
    The Toyota dealer will have the manual.
  • kt22kt22 Posts: 1
    Warning to all, do not let your children get near the rear liftgate, I too own a 2005 Sienna LE with 46,000 miles on it and the liftgate struts failed causing the liftgate to fall striking my wife in the head. At this point the dealer does'nt really care and will replace the struts at $172.00 a strut. Fourtunently our injuries were minor and we now use a 2x4 to hold the door open till this problem is rectified.
  • I replaced my timing belt and both drive belts on my 2004 Sienna last week. It only took a few hours.

Last year I did the plugs myself as well. this operation took longer, as the rear ones necessitated removing the intake manifold and all associated wiring and vacuum hoses.

These maintenance procedures are not beyond anyone with a little mechanical ability and saves $$$$$ by not taking it to the dealer to have done.

A repair manual is a must though and can be downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com if you purchase a one day pass for $10.00. Be prepared to spend hours at the PC downloading the manual as it is literally in pieces.

Gamma
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    I wanted to change when the doors locked and unlocked on my 07 Sienna. I read the directions, tried several times, then took it back to the dealership(unrelated door rattle). Lo and behold, the service tech couldn't get them to change, either. Apparently, that option is not available on the CE. However, I have noticed that ever since then, after I've parked, of course the doors unlock(which makes me feel totally unsafe). Then when I open the driver's door, they unlock again. Has anyone else with a CE noticed this problem? I am certain that they weren't doing that before. I'm debating whether I should take it back once again......
  • I can't find in the Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide when the transmission fluid should be changed.

For "special operating conditions" it says to change at 30M miles or 24 months.

Do they mean to say that the fluid doesn't mean to be changed, or is it just an oversight?