Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The problem is the bigger the minivan gets (especially w/ AWD) the more SUV like it becomes in terms of handling, economy etc.

Too bad Toyota does not have 2 minivans (they have 7 SUV's) then they could have a large one and a smaller one.
  • hbush2hbush2 Member Posts: 3
    I too am waiting for information on the new and improved Sienna. I contacted my local dealership and these are the details they have so far:

-They expect the 2004 Sienna to be arriving in the dealership (I'm in Alberta)in February or March.
    -It will share the same platform as the 2003 Camry
    -The engine is new and is the same as the new Lexus RX 300, which is a 3.3 Litre, 240 hp with more torque
    -AWD WILL be available, along with a host of other upgrades
    -The rear sear has been redesigned and will fold into the floor like the Ody
    -Dealership says they will have brochures in December and we should be able put in a factory order around that time for a Feb/March delivery

Hope that helps!

(And the Hollywood Extra photos - PLEASE!!)
  • dparlerdparler Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know the specifics on the third row (rear) seat -- will it BOTH be divided (50/50 or 60/40) and also fold flat ("magically disappear")?

This is a major issue for my wife and me, as we have three kids and it does no good on long trips or vacation to have a third row seat that CAN fold flat if it MUST be fully, completely upright for the third child to sit in !!!! We had hoped that Honda Ody might think of those of us with 3 kids but their 03 model still has all or none. The Sienna 03 divides but "tumbles forward," still somewhat awkward and in the way.

Does anyone know if 04 Sienna (or 04 Ody) will have BOTH divided and "fold-flat seats" ?
  • mixstermixster Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, just to set a few things straight:

The 2004 Sienna will *not* be based on the 2003 Camry. It's being built in the Princeton, IN plant along with the Tundra and Sequoia. The third row seat will fold flat, but not sure what the split is.

The center windows will roll down similar to the MPV I believe. And the new engine should be close to 240 hp. ;)
  • mixstermixster Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah, forgot to add that limited production for Sienna starts in January, with full production ramping up in February. I think you can expect to see them appearing on showroom floors around the end of Feb. for '04 model.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is bad news if it is going to be the first truck based minivan. It will be heavy, guzzle gas, and I probably wouldn't even test drive it. If you need to drive a monstrosity the Sequoia already exists. I really doubt Toyota would go that route. I think it is much more likely to be Camry based, like the current Sienna.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    this is what i have read and heard. The 3rd row will be split (dont know whether its 50/50 or 60/40 more sense) and disappear. I highly doubt that the sienna will be truck based. The public is getting smarter by the day and some of the upgrades/modifications were demanded by them. The camry is about 190" and am sure they can find a way to stretch it another 10" or so without any issues. unit body vs body on frame. If you look at it from a marketing angle the Sienna has been losing share and if it doesnt equal or exceed what is out there then its history.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The biggest reason for the new minivan being built in Indiana is that the assembly line in Georgetown is both overloaded with demand anyway and that it will not accomidate anything larger than the current Sienna. That assembly line was originally built for Camry's. With that in mind, it is limited in terms of the width and length of any vehicle they can build on that assembly line. That was the major limiting factor for the current generation of Sienna.

The new Sienna WILL be based upon the Camry platform (and I won't go into my argument as to what that means) and will share many driveline components with the Camry. With the Indiana plant able to accomidate vehicles up to the size of the Tundra (and probably the larger versions of the Tundra that they plan for the future) it will easily accomodate the larger plan for the next Sienna. The new Sienna will NOT be truck based just because it's being built in Indiana. The ONLY reasons they moved production to Indiana are because they have excess production capability for that plant (with more excess planned with a doubling of that facility's size in the next couple of years) and the space to build a larger platform vehicle.

Hope this clears up some of the misunderstanding out there.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    It will be a 60/40 split and fold into the floor.

I've posted a few other items, either here or on the general Sienna board, you may want to check them out.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I hope the new Sienna will have the following:

Reverse backup sensor for obstacle detection. Illuminated Door lock/Power windows controls. All Toyotas have this problem, when traveling while it's dark outside you can't see the controls. The Ford Windstar has excellent controls, why not Toyota? Chrysler T&C have very nice & clear controls for the power mirrors, why not Toyota?

I would also like them to change a few things around. Wiper controls on the turn signal lever like most other minivans. I recently drived a Sienna, and whenever I wanted to shift out of Park, the wipers came off from the other lever. Way tooo confusing.

3 or 4-Zone temp. control. Bigger fuel tank (GM & Ford minivans has 25-26 gallon). More comfortable interior handles for all doors (also copy the Windstar's...) +++
  • unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    The news that the 3rd row of seats fold into the floor is extremely disappointing to me. Due to my wife's wheelchair lift, we require a sturdy, flat floor. Thus, having the seats fold into the floor will likely rule out the new Sienna as an option for us. We have ruled out the Honda for that reason.

I was hoping that the third row would remain removable. The new Lexus GX470 has seats that either swing up and to the side or are removable.

This is very sad since we prefer Toyota and Lexus.
  • mhuang100mhuang100 Member Posts: 7
    Previa minivan, which is sleeker, bigger and more powerful, is available everywhere except North America. Does anyone know the reason?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The GX comes standard WITHOUT the third row of seats. Are five seats enough?

I don't know if the styling is acceptable here. I like it; it's a nice alternative.
    According to Car and Driver, the third row of the GX is foldable and removeable. If not, why not check out the 4Runner?
  • buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    Just a guess...once Toyota, Japan made decision to cancel Previa in U.S. (based upon Honda's smaller odysses at the time)...and limited sales based upon Previa's smaller displacement 4 cyl. engine, they created smaller Sienna. Reason Sienna is being replaced by larger model next spring: success of Honda's larger Odysses for past 2/3 years

Both Honda and later, Toyota guessed incorrectly on size of their respective minivans. Toyota has history here of catching up w/Honda and GM on sizing.

In England, one can see a very attractive new Previa being driven all over the place. Sounds like it still may have a 4 cyl engine.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The '04 Sienna will be built in the new plant at Princeton, IN. It will be built on a line with some Sequoias (but not very many). It moved from Georgetown not because it doesn't fit the assembly line, but because it doesn't fit lengthwise among the cars. That's splitting hairs, I know, but a little more accurate description. The line could be modified to accommodate the longer Sienna but they don't want to sacrifice Camry production when they can just move Sienna production to another facility. Neither of the Georgetown plants is operating anywhere near capacity.

The Solara will come from Canada, and Canada gets the Lexus RX300. The Solara is kind of the original 2-door Camry they had years ago, which was made in Georgetown. It's just coming home :-)

The '04 Sienna will be unibody, not body on frame, which is what the Tundra and Sequoia are. Is it a Camry platform? Well, it's unibody, meaning the floor pan, rocker panels, quarter panels, etc are all stamped out of sheet metal and welded together to make a single body. That's done for many vehicles now, but I don't know if I would call it a platform. They share components with Camry and Avalon right now; maybe 'design' would be a better word than platform. :-)

The '03 Sienna will continue into mid January.

I've seen pictures, and so have others here, but we aren't allowed to have any. I can say the green "Sienna" shown earlier is not the new one from Princeton.

Now that Toyota has put out all this effort, all of you need to run out and buy one; '03 or '04, your choice. Hey, buy 2!
  • 94_octane94_octane Member Posts: 14
    One thing is true- if you like the size of the current Sienna and don't want anything bigger, there are some good deals, 0% financing on the 2003 models.
  • unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    coolguyky:

The Lexus GX470 is a consideration. I started to get excited about it when I read that it was taller than many SUV's. However, my heart sank when I saw an article that showed the rear door. It swings out and is attached to the right side of the car against the curb. This would be impossible for my wife's wheelchair/scooter to reach the back of the vehicle.

Folding 3rd Row Seats are likely great for most. However, they are problematic for us for a couple of reasons. First, the wheelchair lift needs a sturdy metal floor. The Honda van apparently has a lot of plastic in this area. The Honda also does not have enough space behind the seat for the support. Second, the wheelchair is very heavy. I wonder if it would be too heavy for the folded seat underneath.

The current Sienna is pretty good in these respects. It would be perfect for the wheelchair lift if it were an inch higher. We need more than 41" of rear-opening height. The current Sienna is barely adequate. I was looking forward to a bigger van for this reason.

In addition to our wheelchair concerns, we wish that the current Sienna XLE had more luxury features. The lack of a power passenger chair, no light in the smallish glove box, a horrible sound system (in the 2000 model), and adjustable pedals are just some of our disappointments. I am hopeful that the new Sienna will have more of these features. I really wish that Lexus would offer a minivan based on this platform!

We may end up with a current 2003 Sienna if the 2004 doesn't not work. We need a second van, and we are definitely Toyota/Lexus fans. I am hopeful that my 1994 Mercury Village minivan holds up until March!
  • rtfirtfi Member Posts: 14
    Looks like the production version will be shown at the Detroit show January 11th-20th:
    "...Nissan and Toyota Motor Corp. will introduce minivans to go after Chrysler's best-selling vehicles."

http://www.auto.com/industry/show30_20021130.htm
  • fatboy163fatboy163 Member Posts: 1
    This is the new RX300 in Japan, with 3.0L V6 VVT-i output 220hp, too bad that not a 3.3L >240hp engine yet.

http://the-sun.com.hk/channels/car/20021203/img/m4120301_big.jpg

• clacker1clacker1 Member Posts: 3
    Here's what I know about the new Sienna.
    Arriving in Canada next March
    Features as addressed already: split fold and hide rear seat, 3.3 v6, 4x8 sheet capacity.
    Being in sales at a dealership, our dealer principal has seen a prototype at a pow-wow in Quebec. He added that it had power side windows in the sliding doors (up and down), and the look is incredible. He says that the capacity at the Indiana plant will be double the current model, and that the supply will be tight.
    If Toyota seeks that much capacity this new van must be very good. Not a surprise, Toyota seems to have done a very good job with the new Corolla and hopefully some of that luck will rub off on the new Sienna.
  • chartster2chartster2 Member Posts: 15
    Any word on price point yet?
  • jctobinjctobin Member Posts: 25
    I gather from reading this discussion that the new Sienna will have AWD as an option and possibly a long and short wheelbase version. Does anyone know if the two wheelbase version rumor is reliable, and if so, if AWD will be available on the shorter version? The DC and GM vans that offer AWD only offer it on the long wheelbase versions.

We would like the capacity of a minivan but feel that a short version would be fine for our needs, but we need AWD for our frequent winter trips to my mother's place in Vermont, which is at the top of a very steep dirt road.
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Next month is the auto show where they said the new Sienna would debut yet there is no word about this vehicle at all. Why not build some anticipation like Nissan has done with the Quest? I wonder if they will unveil a new idea or two that they are wanting to keep hidden.
    There will only be one wheelbase for the 2004 model. AWD will be available on the LE and XLE.
    Is FWD standard?
  • rghantarghanta Member Posts: 1
    A look at Toyota's japan website is an eyeopener on what might be in store for the 2004 Seinna.Here is a link to the Van that could possibly give an idea of what the replacement to 2003 might be.The other models on the website are primarily versions of previa & seinna so this could structurally be it though the shape might change to better suite the tastes of America.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/AlphardG/exterior/images/ex02_svg.jpg
    to navigate on the japanese website point your mouse to a link and look on the status bar for english translation.
    That sure looks bigger than the Sienna and looks like a Toyota. Not too bad.
  • tommy38tommy38 Member Posts: 32
    I really hope the new 04 Sienna does come with the second row captain seats that can be slided together as needed to make them like a bench, similar to those in the Ody and MVP.
    Imagine this feature plus 60/40 fold-away 3rd seats plus power sliding door windows plus 3.3 engine plus available AWD...well just hope Toyota will not shoot the price up too much.
    in the 2nd row of seats. The back end is similar to the Sequoia's (figure 03, change 1 to a 2 and then a 3 and you can see three views of this vehicle). I believe this is the new Sienna as it follows the design trends they have done and it is big.

I'm not crazy about the front end--a little formal for me, although it's masculine. The back end is nice, angles are nice although there is a lot of cladding. Overall, it is a strong looking vehicle, not at all similar to other vehicles out there. More boxy yet still fairly sleek.

Still, if it is the right size and has the fold down rear seat, split, with a larger and smoother engine and interior, it will be tops on my list. Looks like it has a sunroof.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    the japanese website pics do not have anything to do with the redesign.
    How could Toyota afford to develop a minivan in Japan that would be completely different than the new minivan they are making for the US? GM and Ford are going global in their designs.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but at least tell us about this Alphahard van and how it fits in with Toyota's van market and how it is not the van.
  • anjancdanjancd Member Posts: 16
    http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/manu_location/tmmi.html

Looks like it IS going to be manufactured in Indiana plant...

The van shown on the Japanese site is waaaay boxy looking at the rear...like the current VW Eurovan

Boxy allows for more storage and interior room. Their goal should be to make it boxy yet not look boxy! I think they did a nice job.

The new Quest is much curvier but I bet it will have much less interior space.
  • anjancdanjancd Member Posts: 16
    http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/manu_location/tmmi.html

Looks like it IS going to be manufactured in Indiana plant...

The van shown on the Japanese site is waaaay boxy looking at the rear...like the current VW Eurovan

I have seen the 2004 Sienna. I have been within three feet of it for an extended period of time. The Sienna redesign looks nothing like that van.

As far as the Alphahard van (or whatever it is), I know nothing about it.
    and should we plan to buy it? Is it a significant step up from the Sienna? Is it competitive with the Ody?
  • jctobinjctobin Member Posts: 25
    I spent some time browsing the Toyota Japanese website. If you think that there is no way that Toyota could develop more than one minivan, think again. There are all kinds of models of all types that aren't on the North American market. As for the Alphard van, I think the styling would be suicidal for North America. Here's a rough translation of one page for this vehicle courtesy of babelfish.altavista.com, it's good for a laugh:

To the person who enjoy highest by your.

There is the existence which conspicuously glitters in the countless star.
    The style which overflowed in dynamism. Great elbowroom. The feeling good quality which is not the on this.
    And the running which masters stability.
    Now here, the MINIVAN flagship.

* The ALPHARD with it is the coined word which is derived from alpha of the greek which means the brightest star in the constellation.
    Yes, I thought it looked much sportier and stylish over the present Sienna. I really do not know any more then anyone else at this point. I posted everything I saw and know about it a few months ago.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    That picture is not the new Sienna; not even close.

BTW, production of the current model will stop very soon now. It was slated for January, but they've changed it again to December.

Sbell and rward--you say those aren't the pictures and maybe they aren't. The problem is not that you don't share the info, but that there is no hype at all regarding this vehicle. How can Toyota launch a successful vehicle without hype? Shouldn't they make some general press release regarding van worthiness that makes it sound exciting?
    Typically Toyota tries to keep upcoming model changes quiet. The object right now is to sell out of the remaining 2003 models.

The 2004 Sienna is going to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show, target launch date is March 15th. Knowing that Toyota has some very lofty goals in the minivan market, don't worry, I expect plenty of promotion (aka hype)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i am in the market now ( pre detroit auto show )and i am down to the odyssey as the choice but find it lacking on inside details and lack of awd option. doesnt toyota realize they will lose sells by not providing details when they know i wont buy their current offering? sure wish toyota would confirm details so they can be considered.....
    The 2004 Sienna is larger, sportier and will have more features. I do not have a picture of it and can't recall every detail. From memory, I recall it being better looking then the present model and my first reaction was it looks great and has the added features that have already been discussed.

I'm not keeping any top secret classified info from any of you. The truth is you guys probably know just as much as I do about it now. When I get more info I will be happy to share.
    I have the spec tables listing option packages, colors, etc. (No dimensions) Although everything is tentative I'll do my best to help you with anything you need. I wasn't lucky enough to see the new Sienna, but I have sat in on a couple planning meetings. Email me if you like.

As for not offering details, it a "six of one, half dozen of the other" situation. No company wants to lose future sales, but they also need to sell the current product. A decision has to be made regarding release of information in advance, and no matter what option is chosen , some people will not be happy.
  • danhirschdanhirsch Member Posts: 20
    I am a current owner of a 1998 Sienna - which I got when they first came out - I only have 38k on it, but we love it. Each of my sisters in law also have the Sienna, one after a terrible time with the Quest.

Does anyone know if the 2004 Sienna has a Center shoulder belt in the 3rd row, like the Sequoia? We would have traded in for a 2003, but it only had a lapbelt in the center. We carpool and with our youngest getting too big for a smaller car seat, we like the idea of a shoulder belt for all five children. The ODY has one (but many of our friends have had their ODY engines or transmissions replaced!!!)

Thanks - I want my 2004 Sienna!!!
    Toyota's Sequoia has a center shoulderbelt for the center seat in the third row. I would expect the minivan to follow.
  • klear123klear123 Member Posts: 7
    I know it's still early, but....

Is there any speculation about pricing yet? It sure seems Toyota will not just target Honda, but will go after C-D too. Toyota could then make their base model competitive with the base Caravan....

I will turn in my 2000 CE in April, which will work out well with the intro of the '04. I'm worried that a bigger Sienna will carry a bigger price. Steveb84, you said you had the spec sheets. Do they include prices and trimlines?
  • pdfspdfs Member Posts: 19
    I have been to Japan very often, and have seen so many car models there. The auto market in Japan is significantly smaller than US market. But Toyota offers much more models there to attract various buyers with wide specrurm of taste. Obviously, Toyota (& other Japanese auto makers) does not have complete difference design for each model. Instead, they just make slightly difference sheet metal and interior modification, and even logo. As the result, they can go pretty creative in terms of style, like the one posted before.

For the US market, especially for the minivan market, the safest bet for auto makers is go conservative in terms of styling. If you look around, all the minivans look almost same, which is conservative. Thus I believe we should not have expectation for an eye poping new model for 2004. However, I certainly expect better mechanical spec for the new model.

I heard Nissan is going to be quite creative in their new Quest model (3rd door etc.) I hope that will bring new air into the minivan market.