Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Well, as one poster mentioned, the CrewMax isn't even out yet and you give little specifics about anything which suggests that you didn't test drive the Tundra at all.
    As for interiors, I can understand how this would be a subjective area for many as people's tastes differ. I agree that the Denali's interior is nice, but all we have are pictures as the 07 is not offered in "Denali" trim yet (not sure when that will arrive but they are offering 07 Denali in the "classic" Chevy -- basically the older model), and the previous model's interior was hand's down the worst of all the trucks. Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Toyota -- all of them had better interiors than GM's previous model lineup. The 07's brought about a drastic change and I'll be eager to see the new Denali in person to be a good judge of it as I'm sure it will be made well. But having said that, the Chevy version (which this forum is about) has an interior that, although it is much nicer than the previous version, is still worse than the Tundra. Cheap plastic all around on their top-of-the-line model with a sticker price that is as high as the Tundra's. Not saying that Toyota's is the absolute best, but having seen the Silveraldo this weekend convinced me that the Tundra's interior is better overall. The model on the dealership floor even had seams that were uneven (i.e. wide gap on one end of the dash on the passenger's side tapering to a narrower gap at the other end, back-door seam larger than front-door seam). I even pointed it out to the salesman who admitted that crew cabs in the LTZ trim were currently hard to come by. This was their top model and it was nice to see 12-way power seats on both sides -- easy to get into a comfortable position. Mechanically the Silveraldo was pretty good and it is a large truck as well. But the interior was behind what I saw in the Tundra for sure -- especially in terms of materials. The one thing I will say was evident as a Tundra weakness was the leather seats... for some reason the leather in the Tundra I saw was not very good and certainly not as good as the Chevy's.
    So, overall it is a pretty good comparison between the Silveraldo and the Tundra. Again, it will most likely come down to preferences as they compare pretty well.
  • I think i'm wrong and it's a double cab. I thought the 4 door was the CrewMax. The Sierra Denali is here in Canada. You can build it on GM's website. I don't know, to me I was expecting a lot more with Tundra. Towing #'s I could care less about. If I had big towing needs I'd get a diesel. Sure Toyota has a nice drivetrain, shifts are crisp, moves like a raped ape. But as a total pkg compared to the Sierra Denali it fails. I'm sure people that is in this market of truck will see the same. Like I said before with all this internet hype on the truck, that'll "GM will be hurting when it gets here" is a bunch of crap. Dodge may have a problem. But I think they're ready for a redo too.
    Well, I doubt that the Tundra will eat into anybody's sales at all. People in the truck industry tend to stick with their "brand" much moreso than when looking at cars.
    But, unless the Denali offers so many other features than the Silveraldo, I don't see how the Tundra could be considered a "failure" by comparison.
    The Tundra offers a lot of features that even the Denali doesn't have. I know that for most people, towing, etc. is probably more of a numbers game and bragging rights than anything, but I definitely think the Tundra is a serious truck and is done very well. Everything from the construction of the frame to the transmission and storage compartments are very well thought out. Even the little things like the tailgate's soft landing is a welcome addition to a sector that has had little innovation present outside pure power numbers.
    Again, there is no real threat to the GM trucks -- but I think it is for very different reasons -- the Toyota is, in my opinion, a better overall package than the Silveraldo (I would need to see an 07 "new" Denali to make that claim) and certainly much better than the "classic" versions of both the Denali and the Silveraldo. But most people will stay with GM because there is loyalty there and there isn't a few features that Toyota completely blasts one out of the park on compared with the new GM offerings. I think Nissan will be hurt the most, followed by Ford. Dodge and GM should loose a little business, but not much. Even though I think the Tundra is an overall much better package, again, there isn't that one "got-to-have-it" feature to lure competition away, but then again, most Toyota buyers don't look for that... they want the great package and reliability.

i have to admit the silvys and sierras dash look pretty nice. But i like the truck interior look better. Dont really like the car look so much.

i prefer the look of this one. Doesnt look bland ;)
  • What is up with that Toyota interior? What is all that silver? Whoa, havent looked at it before...but that pix is ugly. :surprise:
  • yeah dont really like the silver either but they all dont come with the silver dash they can be modified with different colors like the fake wood on chevy. imo The center console sucks to Like the bench seat version better doesnt look as bad.
  • My Denali features are 403 HP and 417 LB TQ 6.2L VVT, 6 Speed Auto w/ Driver Shift Control,20 Chrome wheels, Unique Chrome Grill, unique woodgrain accents, deeper pile carpet, covered console storage and cupholders, heated steering wheel, Nav with reverse camera, heated front and rear seats, rear seat DVD, Sunroof, front and back leather seating, (not Vinyl) sill plates, different guage cluster, Heated washer fluid,Rainsense wipers, EZ lift tailgate, Chrome step bars, tonneau cover, chrome door handles, Remote Start, 7 speaker Bose with Sub, Stickered for $60320.00 loaded, got it for $54219.00 out the door plus taxes. A loaded up CrewMax with C pkg is $56995.00 plus tax. Toyota don't like to deal too much. So you may be able to get it $55500.00- $56000.00 and that is with no bars, tonneau, etc. ClubCab is $52450.00 + taxes. These are Canadian prices.
  • Do those come with quadra steer like the old ones? Whats the mpg on the 6.2?

a fully loaded tundra with all the extras like you stated arnt over 50k here in the U.S. Canada sure makes you guys bend over :P
  • No quadrasteer. GM done away with that in 05 I believe. Too expensive of an option. Like $6000.00. They had to lower it to $2000.00 then they dropped it all together. MPG should be around 15-16 in the city. 18-20 on hwy. My Dad drives a 07 Yukon Denali and he gets around that. Won't know till it gets here so it's an assumption. Yes we get raped on our vehicles. Corvette Z06 is $110000.00 here. Even factor in exchange rates it's still way cheaper in the States. This is only the pic I can find online of the Sierra Interior. My truck is ordered in White with black interior because I dont like the tan.

• Good comparison. I have to admit the new limited tundras are overpriced vs. the competition. But the sr5s with the 5.7 engine arnt and probably will run you less then a 5.3 with the same options.
  • What Tundra do you compare with the CrewCab?
  • nice pics. Like the gmc look better then the silvy
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "What Tundra do you compare with the CrewCab?"

Actually, it's hard to say.

The Tundra has 2 distinct 4-door models: the DoubleCab and the CrewMax. The are virtually identical except in legroom.

The Tundra DoubleCab has front/rear legroom of 42.5" / 34.7".
    The Tundra CrewMax has front/rear legroom of 42.5" / 44.5".
    Yes, the rear legroom in GREATER than the front legroom in the CrewMax.

As comparison, the '07 Silvy CrewCab measures 41.3" / 38.7". So it looks as though the Silvy CrewCab slots nearly halfway between a DoubleCab and a CrewMax.
  • Here the CrewMax SR5 4x4 is $41660.00 before freight or any other fees. A Sierra CrewCab 4x4 w/ 5.3 SLE pkg is $40915.00. this is where you'd be crazy not to get the Tundra if it's sticker for sticker. The transaction price on the Sierra would be around $35-36g. It is hard to get Toyota to deal. I think they are going to have no choice once the "new" factor wears off.
  • I do too..But the Silvy SS I saw at the Plant is wicked looking. It'll be here in the fall.

The Dealer gave a new Sierra for the weekend that just passed. It's an SLT with the 5.3 and it's a pretty nice truck.

That is a really nice lookin' truck! I'll have to check it out when it is readily available here. I thought it would look a little more distinguished from the Silveraldo but to me it looks like the arrangement is the same, just some better materials. As for fit and finish, how do you like it? Is there anything in particular I should look for when checking it out? I know that many people will claim that their vehicle is absolutely "perfect", but there are always little things to look for to make sure you are getting a well-built vehicle. Let me know!
    Just a note to those comparing MPG -- do the conversion when talking with people from Canada (I know, I used to be Canadian and spent most of the first 26 years of my life there). A Canadian gallon is ~ 4.54 liters (litres for Canadians!) as opposed to 3.78 liters. So when they say they get 15-16mpg city and 18-20mpg hwy (as you stated), it is really equivalent to 15to16/4.54 * 3.78 = ~12.5to13.33mpg city and 18to20/4.54 * 3.78 = ~15to16.67mpg highway.
    That is just so we can compare apples to apples... a number of my friends in Canada thought that cars in Canada somehow were more fuel-efficient until they understood this conversion. It is the difference between the two types of gallons (imperial and standard?). Anyhow, that still isn't too bad for an engine that size compared to other offerings here.
  • i noticed the crew max has more leg room, hip room and shoulder room then the crew cab silvy and sierra. The tundra crew max is almost in mega cab territory :surprise:
    It is doubtful that any deals will be made on the new Tundra for at least the first 6 months... Toyota doesn't tend to do much for deals to begin with and they certainly won't do it with this new Tundra until demand for it slows down somewhat...
  • When I post MPG I think of you guys...Those MPG are US MPG's. If you're talking about my Denali i don't have it yet. I'm driving just the normal Sierra right now but it's loaded with leather. Since the Denali improves on it, it's going to be a fabulous vehicle. The only thing I'd like changed is the shifter to the console.
    You already did the conversion? That is pretty amazing mileage if you can get that on their 6.2. Most people driving the 5.3s don't get that at all. I was told that GM is the best for fuel economy, but to also expect about 20% less than current EPA estimates... one of my friends that has the new Tahoe with the cylinder-deactivation on his 5.3 is averaging about 14to15mpg combined city/hwy. I think he said his truck had an EPA of 15/20 or 16/21 or something close to that. In any case, he said he was far from it but not off of what he was used to with his previous vehicles.
  • This Sierra w/ 5.3 I have right now is getting 16 -18mpg in the city. Also remember the new 6.2 has a 6 Speed and 3.42 gearing and cyl deactivation. Plus since it's the dealers truck I've been babying it..lol
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    denali2,

You have me so jealous of you I think I'm just going to buy one this or next month and be done. The wife said I could get one if I wanted to.

Lucky Dog :shades:

Rocky
  • :D :D
    This cracks me up. Crew MAX....MEGA cab.

When is the Super Duper Cab coming?

:shades:
    LOL......

Rocky
    You couldn't get the Bose 10 speaker surround sound system ?

Rocky
  • yeah suits most peoples tastes here in the U.S. bigger is always better :P I wonder when the big 3 or toyota are coming out with compact and 1/2 ton diesel trucks? since theyre already millions in different countries except here.

I'd like to see how the 6.2 denali does in towing & hauling comparisons. Since the old GM trucks averaged 26% drivetrain loss.

would suck to see 6.2 put less torque & hp down then the smaller displacement 5.7 tundra just how the 6.0 vortecmax did ;) .

if you want more power without voiding warranty toyota has a SC in the works for the tundra 5.7. the Super charged pre runner tundra at sema was rated 550hp :P. if Those hp #s are true the SS will have some competition
  • They have the 7 speaker with subwoofer..10 would be nice.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    My Denali features are 403 HP and 417 LB TQ 6.2L VVT, 6 Speed Auto w/ Driver Shift Control,20 Chrome wheels, Unique Chrome Grill, unique woodgrain accents, deeper pile carpet, covered console storage and cupholders, heated steering wheel, Nav with reverse camera, heated front and rear seats, rear seat DVD, Sunroof, front and back leather seating, (not Vinyl) sill plates, different guage cluster, Heated washer fluid,Rainsense wipers, EZ lift tailgate, Chrome step bars, tonneau cover, chrome door handles, Remote Start, 7 speaker Bose with Sub, Stickered for $60320.00 loaded, got it for $54219.00 out the door plus taxes. A loaded up CrewMax with C pkg is $56995.00 plus tax. Toyota don't like to deal too much. So you may be able to get it $55500.00- $56000.00 and that is with no bars, tonneau, etc. ClubCab is $52450.00 + taxes. These are Canadian prices.

I'm certain that this is a beautiful ride and very very capable. This is not what the Tundra is aiming for in it's sales. 60-70% of the Tundra's will be 5.7L Double Cabs ( the middle size ) in SR5 or Ltd versions. The CrewMax will be a very very very small segment of the volume. With only 200K-250K vehicles to sell the concentration will be on the center of the market and giving the working guy a kick [non-permissible content removed] truck for $28K. There's no need to spend $50K+ to get all that working capability.
  • That's because GM has a 4 second delay programmed into the PCM. A canned tune is all it needs to correct that. Diesel vehicles isn't going to happen till they get the diesel stations cleaned up. The main concern with diesel is smell.
This discussion has been closed.