Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• actually hyundai is getting a lot of recognition from people because they are coming out with no initial problems and they are up there in reliability. most people who hear about hyundai automatically think kia , daewoo etc. Cheap cars with cheap drivetrains. But in reality hyundai is putting out inexpensive cars with good reliability and quality.

perception can sometimes be false ;)
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Lexus, Acura, VW, at one time or another all had Onstar. I've not heard that before you saying it won't work because the computer is located by the engine. That is news to me? :confuse:

Rocky
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I still would never drive one. ;)

Rocky
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Your understanding is correct of course.

Your conclusion may or may not be accurate since Toyota has redesigned the Tundra to make it simpler and quicker. Is it as capable? No one but they know because it's only been out 3 weeks.

The rear locker as in the FJ are designed for severe rock crawling such as the Rubicon. That's one extreme.

The other extreme is for a 1 mile long snowy but plowed driveway where traction is variable at best but certainly passable. Having a locker here is unnecessary.

The Toyota ALSD and ATRAC in 4WD mode solves all but the most severe rock crawling needs. The market will have to tell us where the point is that a locker is mandatory. That market may entail 1% of the overall truck buyers.

At just 200K units annually the Tundra is aiming only at the center of the market. Small niches are left to the others.

You are probably right that at some time when volume reaches 500K or 900K in 10-12 years then some of these small niches may have to be addressed.
    Agreed..goofy post.
    Helloooo Rockylee

It's the V6! 236 hp / 266 Torque

GM 195 hp / 260 Tq
    F. 202 hp / 260 Tq
    D. 210 hp / 235 Tq
    N. None Available
    Good post....Wow I didn't know the Tundra, doesn't have a autotrac system. Now that is amazing

You don't know what you're writing about. What do you understand 'autotrac' to be?

Auto LSD?
    A-TRAC?
    Traction Ctl?
    Rear Locking Diff?

8 track?
    Towing/Trailering review by Trailer Boats online

2007 TVOY issue

So those into boating and looking to see which truck will get their boat to the water and back will be investigating .... the 2007 Tundra.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    I had OnStar in my 2000 Tahoe. I used it once to show off to my girlfriend at the time- now my wife- to make reservations at a restaurant. After the initial 1 year period of complimentary service was over, I did not renew because there was no use for it. However, I can respect the fact that some might view Onstar as an asset to have in a vehicle. That is of course, those people who have Onstar equipped vehicles will keep paying for subscriptions.

After reading some of the posts, I see a certain pattern forming.
    Toyota is the fastest 0-60 and proponents of the competition say it doesn't matter because no one is racing their truck.
    Tyotoa can tow the most. Response is- most 1/2 ton owners who really tow something will buy the 1 ton trucks so that doesn't matter.

Now there is a discussion about how the Toyota does not have a rear locker. In light of the responses that proponents of the competition have been putting out there, I'll say- in how many real world situations will one really need a rear locker? Not many. Since, a huge percentage of 1/2 owners don't do heavy offroading needing the use of a rear locker. the point of having one is irrelevant.

As far as interior aesthitics and design are concerned, subjectivity is the key. Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. That being said, GM has had the ugliest interiors in its 1/2 ton trucks for several years now i.e. until the new Silvy showed up. I certainly wouldn't call eithere interior ugly. They both have positive and negative attributes but I would hardly say one truck is the clear winner IMHO.
  • jreaganjreagan Posts: 285
    You don't know what you're writing about. What do you understand 'autotrac' to be?

Auto LSD?
    A-TRAC?
    Traction Ctl?
    Rear Locking Diff?

8 track?

I don't know what I am writing about huh? I have had Autotrac 4wd in my truck for the past 7+ years and use it all the time (in the winter). Have you ever driven a GM with it? Didn't think so, so it's you who doesn't know what your talking about.
    FYI, Autotrac (aka Auto 4wd) is GM's technology for locking in the transfer case and using an electric actuator in the front diff to engage/disengage the front axles as needed. The ABS system senses rear wheel slippage and engages the front axles as needed. This happens so fast that it is far beyond human recognition. You CANNOT notice any delay. This not only saves fuel, but it saves wear and tear on 4wd drive systems. Traction control does NOT work this way. Toyota ONLY has 3 settings for the drivetrain, 2wd, 4hi and 4lo. GM has those plus Auto4wd. They also have Stabilitrak, so don't tell me Toyota's traction control is a better alternative to Autotrac, they are different animals.
    So those into boating and looking to see which truck will get their boat to the water and back will be investigating .... the 2007 Tundra

I am a boater, and I won't be. I'll get to the water and back just fine in my GM, Thank You.
    Awesome post...Unrealistic you say? (Toy fans). No, but maybe a rare scenario in the grand scheme of things. But for the record:
    1. Cell phones are NOT a suitable alternative since Onstar notifies emergency services automatically upon air bag deployment. How well will a cell phone work when you are either unconscious, in shock, or the phone flew out of reach and you are trapped?
    2. The point is GM is light years ahead of the competition with new technology and safety.

Well said offroader...
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    Your point about the diff lock is a good one, wish it was an option on the tundra like the Tacoma.

but as well as the diff lock wouldn't angle of approach and angle of Departure as well as gound clearance be as equally as important?
  • Yes, ground clearance is important. The Tundra is marginally better by a fraction of an inch. The reason the Silverado has a lower rated ground clearance and angle of departure is that it has a 3" wide flexible plastic valence along the bottom of the front bumper. This thing will get pushed out of the way without doing any damage - or, you can just remove it. It unclips real easy.

That said, neither vehicle is set up for serious offroading. For that, either vehicle will need a lift kit.

Basically, any trail that will thrash the Tundra will also thrash the Silverado, and vice versa.

1offroader
    Good catch...Let me also add:
    Commercial productions are just that...Productions!!! They can do what ever they want with video and editing equipment. You have no idea what that looked like in "real" life (they may have done it at 1/2 the speed of the video? Or who knows?). Look at the Edge commercial from Ford as an example.
    Also, I would like to know how many times it could stop that load before the brakes burn up and the rotors warp. I am sure the GM (and every other truck in this class) could do the same thing.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Yea.....The brakes on most new vehicles are problematic!
    Mostly because of cheap parts IMO,,,,,,,,,,,

But yet again most folks are clueless esp. those not
    familiar with ABS systems and the way they "feel" when
    applied during normal stopping. Forget when people freak
    out after a few panic stop situations and post "my brakes suck or don't work right"...............

I had that problem with my mom. She would freak out when
    the brake pedal would bump and/or the ABS computer would
    make its crazy noises when activated esp. on snowy or icy
    roads.

Had to take her to a snowy parking lot and have here do a
    few panic stops and know the noises and pedal feel were
    "normal" !!!!!!!!!!!

But noting from posts on BOTH GM truck and the tundra solution.com sites............
    Each have troublesome brake systems or just crybaby owners!

Personally I never have had any brake issues with any of
    my vehicles esp. my GM trucks which I heavy tow and snow
    plow with...........They sure get a workout !!!!!!!!!!!
  • OnStar isn't meant for calling a restaurant for reservations, although it can be used for that. It's a SAFETY SYSTEM. How often do you really NEED antilock brakes? Heck, we got along for decades without 'em. Ditto side air bags. How about insurance? It's only good if you crash. Save some money, don't buy it. OnStar is a proven life saver. For about $200/year I'll take it. I figure my life is worth at least that much.

Hey, if I ever need to tow 10,700 lbs. instead of merely 10,300 lbs. I'll consider the Tundra, OK? Or maybe I'll do what any responsible driver would do - get a 3/4 ton diesel.

Standing 1/4-mile times? See my previous posts on how completely useless that statistic is.

The locker I will use often. It's not just for radical offroading. It's for everyday low traction situations - slippery boat ramp, deep snow, muddy trails. Stuff that truck owners see every day.

As far as my previous post on clearance, I can get a small lift kit (2"-3") to solve my clearance problem (which the Tundra needs also), but I can't get the locker on the Tundra AT ANY PRICE. Well, that's not quite true. I could spend $4,000-$5,000 and retrofit the Tundra with a modified Ford 9-inch, but that's not an acceptable alternative IMO.

1offroader
    Me either! And I have been driving GM trucks since 1990. NO brakes issues...ever!!!
    Offroader,
    Let me say it's nice to finally see some posts on here that employ common sense!
    Nice job, but I am starting to think it is futile arguing with these Toy lover's. They are "selective" readers/listeners and only hear what they want to hear.
    Well you got me to look it up, which I should have done first. ;)

From GM's website:
    Transfer case: Autotrac includes automatic 4WD and panel-mounted controls; 4WD only (standard on 4WD models)

When you engage the automatic 4WD mode, the system detects wheel slippage and automatically transfers torque to the front wheels for enhanced traction and then returns to two-wheel drive as conditions warrant. You may also choose to engage 4WD on a full-time basis.

So it needs to be engaged first but depending on conditions the truck drives in 2WD mode until slippage is sensed then some ( 50% 30% 70%? ) of the engine torque is diverted to the front axles. Then when conditions warrant all the torque is returned to the rear axle.

Nice feature in that it's quick and automatic - after it's engaged.

The main difference ( benefit ) I can see is that once engaged the driver can forget about having to switch on the fly from 2WD to 4WD.

Stabilitrak is an option on most GM's, standard on the CrewCabs, but it's standard on all Tundras ( VSC/TC )
    The benefits are obvious as portrayed in the commercials and overall it's a good system. It's a $12.95/mo insurance policy against being stranded by breakdowns and catastrophic events like the 'script' you proposed.

While it's standard on GM vehicles, it's also available on any vehicle. Ditto Extended Service Contracts, GAP Ins, Health & Disability Ins, Life Insurance, etc.

It's just a personal choice.
    OnStar is not... it's also available on any vehicle

This is a GM exclusive feature.
    The reason Stabilitrak is standard on Crewcabs and optional on others is because it addresses the rollover potential for high center of gravity vehicles such as SUV's and crew cab pickups. Reg or ext cab pickups (and cars) do not need it as much due to a lower a center of gravity, therefore less rollover potential. SUV rollover potential became a real issue for consumers based on safety reports. So, what did GM do? They addressed it, as they always do. They made it standard where necessary and optional where not absolutely necessary (cars and other low COG vehicles).
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,065
    Just got my April issue. Five truck comparo. To make it short they finished in this order:

1. Chevy Silverado
    2. Nissan Titan
    3. Toyota Tundra
    4. Dodge Ram
    5. Ford F150

That's it. I have a very low opinion of C&D in general, but no dog in this fight.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

It's standard on GM but it's also available on two Acuras ( unless this has changed ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar

Then there are the Onstar owners being left behind by the advance of technology...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/automobiles/19ONSTAR.html?ex=1321592400&en=9fe- 716b9a78201ad&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&

And finally, don't pay the monthly subscription and 'poof' it's gone.
    Oh sure, everything is available...for a price. But the reality is that it requires the proper Hardware typically put in by the factory. Adding this hardware "aftermarket" would most likely prove to be very costly and therefore unrealistic. Let's stick to what's practical when making these comparisons. Otherwise I could mention that I could simply put in a simple aftermarket tune and/or chip in my GMC 6.0 that would boost my hp to make the Tundra look silly. But that would just turn this thread into a performance aftermarket discussion, not a true comparison of factory trucks that 99%+ of the buyers use "stock".
  • Not interested in PU trucks, but I've had autotrack in a 4x4 Suburban for five years. Works fantastic. There is a very tiny lag sometimes when just starting out on slippery stuff..but we're talking an eighth? sixteenth? of a second. And you can hear front diff when its engaged. Best part of it is to leave it on if there is a chance of bad road conditions....driving in winter, say.

I've noticed in 2wd my mpg is X.
    In autotrack its about X-1
    In fulltime 4wd its at least x-2.

Best thing is that with most fulltime real 4wd sytstems you can't drive on completely dry roads with it...which means you can't be driving down 'dry' winter farm roads and then have 4wd when you run into a long icy patch. And tehre is no doubt that there is better directional stability with 4wd than with rwd on ice.

Autotrack is nice no-brainer system for people like my wife. Push it, go.

I've pushed my truck in deep snow (over front bumper).
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    See my previous post on how completely useless Onstar and a rear locker is.
    It's your opinion that's completely useless. Not to mention worthless and uninformed.

Onstar used once makes it worthwhile.

A rear locker is useful alot more than a fraction of a second in a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time.
This discussion has been closed.