Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    I'll take the Tundra. Can't stand wheel column shifter and those fake wood.
  • chevy598chevy598 Posts: 162
    I'll give Toyota credit. It's a solid truck, and it's about time. The new Tundra's Beefed up capabilities make it a real player in the full size truck segment.

I think the Titan is in big trouble. Nissan won't be making trucks very long if Toyota stays committed to the full size market.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Then get the work truck interior-no wood. Looks more manly like the Tundra's. Look under interior photos. No nonsense, no console. Sorry no console shifter.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/photogallery/
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    There were some comments earlier about making excess vehicles and Toyota being able to sell every '07 Tundra, etc. When people make these statements I want to know if they consider the generous incentives Toyota offers at the DEALER level on trucks and SUVs. Last time I checked, manufacturers that have strong demand for vehicles dont discount them by thousands of dollars. Toyota dealers are offering THOUSANDS of dollars of cash on the hood of Tundras, 4runners, Highlanders, Siennas, etc. in my area and I suspect this is true nationwide. To me, this is not differnt from GM relying on red tag sales to drive volume. It seems to be that Toyota is picking up where GM left off in terms of gaining share at any cost.

As for the Tundra, its a compelling entry in the market but comments have already surfaced about the cheapness of the interior and its clear that it did not leapfrog the Silverado (or 3 year old F150) in interior design or quality. Toyota may have a tough time selling 200k pickups because they only sold 126k of the old one with heavy incentives. Assuming the new truck wont be discounted it will be hard to generate an additional 75k sales even if the new truck is far superior to the old. IN reality, its no so much that its superior, its just much bigger and more powerful. Instead of trying to stake out new territory like the Ridgeline (which flopped0 Toyota decided to attempt to out detroit the Big 3 by going big. Interesting strategy from a company praised as being enviromentally conscious.

I would also like to get the opinion of the GM detractors on hybrids. GM is fully committed to hybrids while Toyota remains the only foreign company to appear serious about hybrids. Honda is dumping the Accord hybrid and will offer only two models in the future. Nissan only has one and will sell it in 8 states. Hardly a hug commitment to saving fuel if you ask me. Since people generally believe that domestic automakers are committed to guzzling foreign oil while the Japanese love the earth I think the level of commitment to fuel saving technology is interesting.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Currently the 2006 Tundra has $4000 in customer rebates and $500 dealer incentives. Seems reasonable to me and similar to GM.

The Seqouia is the same but has $2000 dealer incentive. Bit high.

Trucks are having a hard time due to gas prices and competition from the crossovers. No news there. It effects all makers. Until capacity is brought in line we will see continued price reduction. Toyota may be in trouble with a whole new plant of Tundras. They may not be able to use all the capacity and if so will have to do something like lower price/rebates which they can easily afford to do. Remember they started the planning for the plant and truck well before gas prices spiked a year ago. they are not all knowing.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Wow, you got my interest with that post. Lessee...

1. Hybrids: Honda is going diesel, which is why they are de-emphasizing hybrids. And yes, they went "performance" instead of "frugality" with the Accord hybrid, which is why it didn't sell well. A miscalculation on their part, but the fact remains that they have the highest average fleet fuel economy of any of the majors, even WITH gas pigs like the Ridgeline.

On the flip side, I commend GM for their commitment to hybrids, but the actual DELIVERY remains scant at this point. I can't wait to see how much gas the GMT900 hybrids can save vs their gas-only counterparts, but the Vue doesn't save very much (maybe 10% real-world, vs the 4-cylinder gas) and their first effort, the Silverado, was really more of a mobile generator than an actual gas-saving technology.

2. Tundra's interior is purely a matter for speculation at this point, isn't it? Much the way the interior of the new Malibu is? We have seen pictures and come to conclusions, but except for the lucky few that could get to the Detroit show, no-one has seen or touched it yet. As for sales, Toyota hopes to RAMP UP to 200K sales a year, but is not expecting that right away. They are hoping for a 20% increase over the old model, or about 150K per year, in the first or second years. (CY2007 won't quite be a full year, as full availability won't happen until March).
    You are correct that Toyota's strategy with the new Tundra is interesting for this company: it is the first time they have consciously made the decision to forego fuel economy in favor of size and power - all their market research showed that buyers in this segment have less regard for economy than they do for power and size. Officials of the company have stated as much in interviews.

3. Rebates: Toyota is currently offering cash rebates on models that are old, and in the case of the Tundra was never fully competitive even when it was new. HL is a 5-year-old model now, due to be replaced in about 4 months. Tundra is six years old, can you believe it? This is not a change in practice at Toyota - they have always done this at the end of the model cycle to clear out the old vehicles and make way for the new ones. The only deviation has been in the size of the rebates, and only in the case of the Tundra. $4000 is a very high rebate for Toyota. Once the Tundra turnover occurs, I am sure we will see similar rebate increases appear on the Sequoia, also a 5-year-old and also due for replacement late this year.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Those radio buttons stick out like a sore thumb. Looks more like a spaceship than a pickup truck."

Those are the HVAC controls. And they are large so they can be operated with gloves on. Just like the large HVAC controls in the Silverado.

The biggest difference is that in the Tundra, the controls are a contrasting color (silver against a dark dash) vs. monotone in the Silverado.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I don't care for that shifter on the floor. When I'm at work I throw tools & gloves on the center floor where Toyota's shifter is located. I think work trucks are more verstile with an empty space up front rather then a center counsel. This time the Chevy looks more like a Lexus than the Toyota does."

Hmmmm, the Chevy LTZ has a center console. The Tundra Limited has a center console.

The Chevy Silverado work trunk has an open floor and column shifter.....aaaaand, the Tundra SR5 has.....an open floor and column shifter.
  • Dang Rorr, you beat me to it:)

From another site's write up on the San Antonion plant producing the tundra.

The Toyota Truck

31 model configurations
    3 trim levels: DX, SR5, Limited
    3 bed lengths, in: 66.7, 78.7, 97.6
    3 cab configurations: Reg, Double, CrewMax
    2 drivetrain options: 4x2, 4x4
    3 engine options: 4.0L V-6, 4.7L V-8, 5.7L V-8
    2 transmissions: 5-speed automatic; 6-speed automatic
    3 wheelbases, in: 126.8, 145.7, 164.6
    4 interior finishes: Sand Beige, Graphite, Black, Red Rock
    2 dash choices: Stick shift center console, or Column shift worksite dash
    11 exterior colors: Super White, Silver Sky Metallic, Slate Metallic, Black, Radiant Red, Salsa Red Pearl, Desert Sand Mica, Pyrite Mica, Timberland Mica, Blue Streak, Metallic, Nautical Blue Metallic
  • I think the new Tundra is WAY better looking than the ancient looking Chevy. The Interior is FAR better looking in the Tundra than the fake\cheap looking plastic wood in the Chevy. What was Chevy thinking?

The new Tundra will easily be the Truck of the Year next year. 381Hp and 401ft pounds of torque for the Toyota?

Toyota destroys the competition in everything it builds. I'd also take a Nissan before the Chevy. Way better looking and tows just as much.

My Choice for trucks would go like this.

1. Toyota Tundra
    2. Nissan Titan
    3. Ford F-150
    4. Dodge Ram
    5. Chevy\GM

At least the Ford and Dodge look decent. The Chevy looks like it could be from 1995 much less 2007. Truck of the year my butt. The interior of the Chevy is a complete joke with all that fake wood. It looks pathetic.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    There were some comments earlier about making excess vehicles and Toyota being able to sell every '07 Tundra, etc. When people make these statements I want to know if they consider the generous incentives Toyota offers at the DEALER level on trucks and SUVs. Last time I checked, manufacturers that have strong demand for vehicles dont discount them by thousands of dollars. Toyota dealers are offering THOUSANDS of dollars of cash on the hood of Tundras, 4runners, Highlanders, Siennas, etc. in my area and I suspect this is true nationwide. To me, this is not differnt from GM relying on red tag sales to drive volume. It seems to be that Toyota is picking up where GM left off in terms of gaining share at any cost.

Looking at Toyota's operating income, they have incentives and other costs under control. Comparing Toyota to the domestics in this regard is a joke. Domestic incentives outpace Toyota's 3-to-1!

Dealer cash is just step one in the incentive ladder. The domestics are stuck at Defcon 4!

Toyota doesn't need to give away vehicles like the domestics do. So don't even bring it up. ;)

You seem interested in bashing the current Tundra, even though it SURPASSES sales expectations? If the truck was really a problem, it wouldn't sell, regardless of the deal, or it would show just how weak the domestics are here. You can't have it both ways.

If Toyota can maintain consistent sales for a 5 year old truck, what will the newest, strongest truck on the market do?

DrFill
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    With Lutz, and now Piech of VW making a very public once over of the Tundra, the word for today is influence!

Personally, I think it is a bad PR move for the leader of the company to publicly ogle another makers vehicle. Just buy a copy next month, then tear it apart secretly. :confuse:

DrFill
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I drove all 5 last week. The two best are the Tundra and the Silverado. The others are lacking lets say primarily in performance.

The Silverado is much more traditional and even upscale in the interior look. The Tundra as with a lot of the new Toyota designs from California ( Calty Design in Newport Beach ) is edgier. Toyota is taking more risks in it's designs.

The interiors of the two vehicles are intentionally different. The Silverado has small well designed buttons that fit closely together such as you'd find in an upscale sedan. The Tundra has BIG buttons and knobs such as you'd find in an industrial setting. Both designs are intentional. Whether one or the other succeeds is up to the market. In fact both might succeed.

Alternate viewpoint: This first big work truck from Toyota is designed to fit into a work environment. Being refined inside is not so critical as being capable at work. At a goal of 'only' 200K units it's more important to be solid and basic shooting for the center of the market. At some time down the road, say in 5-10 years when it's fully accepted, then a Lexus look can be added. Too much refinement now might make it appear too 'foo-foo'.

Butt ugly
    Too Big
    Basic
    Scratched
    Dented
    Dirty

Sounds like a truck to me.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I would also like to get the opinion of the GM detractors on hybrids. GM is fully committed to hybrids while Toyota remains the only foreign company to appear serious about hybrids. Honda is dumping the Accord hybrid and will offer only two models in the future. Nissan only has one and will sell it in 8 states. Hardly a hug commitment to saving fuel if you ask me. Since people generally believe that domestic automakers are committed to guzzling foreign oil while the Japanese love the earth I think the level of commitment to fuel saving technology is interesting.

I am in no way a GM detractor. I am critical of bad decisions that result in bad policies or bad vehicles. I think GM has jumped right up behind Toyota in the hybrid vehicle race..... providing ... providing the new 2-mode vehicles do what they say they can and that the vehicles remain well made in 3-7 years.

Ford is ailing and has very little money to do anything dramatic except survive for the next two years. R&D money for new technologies is scarce I believe.

Chrysler/Dodge and unfortunately Jeep I see as being on a death watch. Money is scarcer yet and the parent company is going in the diesel direction.

Honda is the only other real hybrid player and it's split between small hybrid vehicles and diesel midsized vehicles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota and GM, with their established relationship, are coordinating their efforts in order to promote hybrids in NA.
  • Good heres my top 5

Toyota Tundra Motor Trends Truck of the year 2008
    Ford F150
    Dodge Ram 1500
    Chevy Silverado
    Nissan Titan
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Here's my top 11

GMC Sierra Denali
    Cadillac Escalade EXT
    Chevy Silverado
    Toyota Tundra
    Hummer H2 SUT
    Chevy Avalanche
    Nissan Titan
    Lincoln Mark LT
    Ford F-150
    Dodge Ram 1500
    Honda Ridgeline

-Rocky
    It was in a very popular song........

This is Our Country, This is Our Truck ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvVs5oSVRk

:shades:

Rocky
  • ahoronahoron Posts: 30
    That song sucks. Why do you need a crappy song to sell trucks? Toyota will be number one in the full size truck in a few years. They did it with the cars. The quality is the reason. Toyota will likely join the heavy duty segment in time and take it over as well. Only time will tell Just my opinion, don't get too upset please!
    I won't get upset. The Silverado, won't have to worry too much after the hype wears off. Toyota, is limited to 200,000 units so they won't budge on sticker prices. I know one guy at work that has a 07' Tundra on order but is second guessing his decision once his friend rolled in the parking lot with a 07' GMC Sierra Z-71 LTZ. I was like Cody, I told you the new GM trucks are "that cool" ;) I'm trying to convince him to get a new Sierra Denali ;)

Rocky
  • You think Toyota will take over full size trucks in a few years? Do you remember the T-100?
This discussion has been closed.