Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Well, the Motor Trend did not use the new Tundra in the direct comparison of the vehicles when they awarded the "Truck of the Year Award"; beyond that, I have not seen the April 2007 issue (since March just started yesterday)but they did post a "First Drive" of the 07 Tundra online and one of their quotes that is particularly applicable here is "The only thing that might keep you from thinking of the '07 Tundra as an American pickup truck is your own nationalistic prejudice." Quite frankly that is not something I consider valuable to me, but it makes the point about how people think.
    Again, I didn't say ALL, I said the majority of them; just like the majority of the configurations of the Tundra have better towing/payload specs than the Silverado. It isn't subjective if it is summed up people. Subjectiveness are things that can't be quantified such as "looks" and such. Personally I don't like the look of the Silverado at all -- it looks old -- but the Sierra Denali looks better. The Tundra I think looks great -- modern, large, and masculine. Heck, look at what Chevy did with the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche -- great all the way around except for the front-ends, those are soccer-mom vehicles now, nothing remotely tough about their looks. As you said, this is subjective. Thankfully the Silverado doesn't look like the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, but it still looks old to me. And since when are things like power numbers, performance numbers, and towing numbers subjective? I think I have a better way to tackle this problem though...
    Which engine is stronger? Chevy 6.0 or Toyota 5.7?
    (remember this is not subjective -- answer honestly)
    Which interiors have more room, the Chevy or the Toyota?
    Regular cab interior room?
    Extended/Double cab interior room?
    Crew/CrewMax cab interior room?
    Which truck has larger disc brakes and wheels, the Chevy or the Toyota?
    Which truck has more air bags, Chevy or Toyota?
    Which truck has more safety/control features, Chevy or Toyota?
    Well, the Chevy posters made me resort to having to ask the simplest of questions in order to put aside this "non-subjective" section of the comparison to rest. I want to continue posting, but I have to get going... if somebody else can continue and follow through with more questions, that would be great, but remember, no "subjectiveness". I look forward to the answers (I think the Chevy posters will have a lot of "buts" in their reply -- subjectiveness yet again!) :D
  • pmuscepmusce Posts: 132
    Answer - Toyota 5.7

Here is one for you:

Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 5.3 or Toyota 4.7?
    Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 4.8 or Toyota 4.7?

Belias, I have never debated the merits of Toyota's 5.7. Its certainly a strong motor. Will GM/Ford/Chrysler/Nissan trump it in the near future? Absolutly. The full size pickup horsepower wars are nothing new. Each company takes turns having the strongest. The strongest today is GM's 6.2 V8 although it is limited in its availability to the Sierra Denali (that will change in 2008).

I heard the same argument about the Nissan Titan and how they were going to conquer the full size pickup market because they had this monster V8 motor.
    Not sure how size of the disk brakes has anything to do with braking performance. Their are many factors that result in good braking performance. The Silverado beat the Tundra in braking in both the Car and Driver and Motor Trend comparison. Having said that, I think both truck brake very well.
    What do you mean by more room? I've sat in both trucks and I don't see any issue with lack of room in either. Does the fact that one truck has 1/4 inch more legroom make it a better truck?

Speaking of Extended Cab/Double Cab, this is an area where I will take the GMT900 setup over the Tundra setup anyday. The Tundra has small rear doors on their double cab with a solid B pillar. The opening on those rear doors are extremely small. The GMT900 Extended Cabs have no B pillar and are much easier getting into the back. As well, you will be able to load large items into the cab of th GMT900 trucks that will not fit into the Double Cab Tundra because of the B pillar.

While the CrewMax certainly has a lot of interior room, I find it very ungainly looking with those huge rear doors (and yes that is my subjective opinion). Anybody in the back of that truck will have fun trying to open those doors in a parking lot with dinging the car next to them. The reason those doors are so big is clear. Toyota uses the same front door for both the double cab and CrewMax (I'm sure for cost reasons). The front door had to be make smaller to accomodate a decent size for the back door of the double cab. The result is a very large rear door on the Crew Max. The GMT900 Crew Cab doors are more proportional.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 5.3 or Toyota 4.7?"

Easy: Chevy 5.3l

"Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 4.8 or Toyota 4.7?"

Debatable: The Chevy 4.8 makes more hp (GM: 295 vs. Toyota: 271) at a bit higher rpm (5600 vs. 5400). The Toyota makes more torque (Toyota: 313 vs. GM: 305) at MUCH lower rpm (3400 vs. 4800).

All of these motors would offer (IMO) "ample" power for 90% of their owner's needs. But, if one is after 'bragging' rights (in Full-size Trucks? Oh c'mon, that NEVER happens....), then one is probably not dealing with the smaller V8 offerings......
    "Not sure how size of the disk brakes has anything to do with braking performance."

Larger disk brakes help to dissipate heat better than smaller disks. Smaller disk can still brake great (as evidenced by the test results for the Chevy) but larger disks would be better for prolonged or repeated usage.

As far as braking goes, the Tundra is certainly NOT helped by it's rather porky weight compared to the Chevy. As you pointed out, there are lots of factors that impact braking performance. Just as there are lots of factors that impact frame design besides JUST frame cross-section..... ;)
    "The GMT900 Extended Cabs have no B pillar and are much easier getting into the back."

So, the Chevy Extended Cabs still use a clamshell design?

True, it makes for a larger opening. However, the downside is that passengers can't get in/out until AFTER the front door is opened. Owner preference for which design is better probably hinges on (pardon the pun) whether the area behind the seat is used primarly for hauling stuff or people.

"As well, you will be able to load large items into the cab of th GMT900 trucks that will not fit into the Double Cab Tundra because of the B pillar."

I'm trying to picture the item that WOULDN'T fit through the rear doors on a Tundra DCab......that WOULD fit in the back of a Chevy Extended Cab.....AND why that item couldn't just go in the bed of the truck. I mean, these ARE pickups, right? They have a rather large place to carry things in the back, right?

"Anybody in the back of that truck will have fun trying to open those doors in a parking lot with dinging the car next to them."

I don't think those doors are any longer than the doors on a typical 2-door coupe. My biggest gripe (which I think parallels yours) is they VISUALLY look unproportional.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Looks to me like the 4.7 Toy wins vs. the 4.8 GM if your #'s are right. Torque peak 1400 rpms lower is important for haulin'.
    Belias, slow down I can't keep up with you :)

I will reply to each section of your post but I will do it over a couple of my own posts so it does not get to large. I will then list the non-subjective advantages the Silverado has over the Tundra.

"Just saw all the new posts and will try to get some replies posted this weekend if possible, but just wanted to point out that from the owners of Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford truck owners themselves, the full-size domestic truck segment scored "mediocre" in CRs latest review. That is with a sample size of 1.3 million total automotive customers. Heck of a lot more than on this forum. Honda did best overall, Toyota did very well also, but two or three models were not highly recommended. Still, their trucks fared much better then the domestics (mid-size included).
    If I were a Chevy man on this forum, I would hardly be arguing reliability favoring Chevy/GMC."

In order for a survey to be statistically valid it has to be based on a random sampling. If you have take any courses on surveying and statistics, you will know this to be 100% true. Consumer Reports does not use random sampling. Having said that, how can you say either of these trucks would be more reliable or durable? They are both new. As well, chevy trucks have a reputation for being both reliable and durable, why would you suggest otherwise? It's one of the reasons Silverado buyers are so loyal.

"jreagan,
    So, rain sense wipers and heated washer fluid outdo:
    - better audio systems across the line for Tundra (all have aux input jacks and mp3 capability) including a 12-speaker 440W JBL system available on some models (as opposed to a 6-speaker Bose system)"

I'm not an audiophile, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

- heating/cooling ducts for rear-seat passengers in the Tundra (none on the Chevy)
    Underseat heating/cooling ducts are standard on almost all GM vehicles (example the cobalt has them). The GTM800's have this.

More to come...
  • jreaganjreagan Posts: 285
    Which engine is stronger? Chevy 6.0 or Toyota 5.7?
    Stronger? Hmmm Well, Hp and torque are a little higher (14 hp and 26lb-ft), so, technically the Tundra wins this category (this year anyway). However (and this is my "Subjective" part). As I have said, both of these engines have more than adequate hp, torque and acceleration for the limits of a 1/2 ton truck. So, does this minor difference make the truck better or more capable? NO.
    Now, as for Stronger...The GM 6.0 is an all-aluminum block with a "Deep-Skirt" design and 6-bolt main bearing caps with cross-bolts. This limits crank-flex, stiffens the engines structure and reduces overall vibrations. Plus, the aluminum block reduces weight, and quickens heat up (for those cold MN winter mornings). So, hp and torque aside, which engine is "Stronger" overall?
    If the additional 14hp and 26lb-ft is really necessary for your needs (honestly?) for everyday use (NOT streetlight racing), then Tundra wins this category. But for overall engine strength, both are equally capable.
    As for engine design, The Tundra uses a modern DOHC design and the GM still uses a Cam-in-Block pushrod valve design. I am not sure why, but since they use DOHCs in their 4's, V6's and in some V8's (Cadillac Northstar) but still prefer the pushrod design in the rest of their V8's (Trucks and Corvette engines) I think they have their reasons. Durability? Maybe. But I do think the DOHC engines are higher tech, but I am not an engine designer, so I cannot elaborate on this or say which is better. New topic maybe? If you have input on this, please speak up, I would like to know. And don't just say "DOHCs are better", tell me why. I already think they are better but would like facts for each design.
    No idea and I am not going to look up the numbers to compare a 1/4 inch here or a 1/4 inch there. So, I will be strictly Subjective here.
    I will also only speak for Crewcabs, since this is the truck I researched and bought. Both have HUGE interiors and will fit my family comfortably. So, I would call this one a draw (for me). Again, if you really need the extra 1/4 inch, fine Toyota wins this category. Stay tuned...
    Which truck has larger disc brakes and wheels, the Chevy or the Toyota?
    Wheels: GM has more options...17", 18" and 20". So, GM wins this category. Some people actually prefer 17" wheels for more sidewall (for offroading, etc). The cost for upgrading from 17" to 18" is minimal.
    Brakes: See other post from pmusce, I agree. I would also add that since none of us are automotive engineers, we cannot base brake quality on size alone. The only thing we can base it on is documented braking capability.
    Which truck has more air bags, Chevy or Toyota?
    Don't see how quantity has anything to do with it. We should compare protection area and technology. GM's cover the entire side from the armrest up, front to back, I can't see how it can get any better. Also, GM has the "Smartest" airbags. The front ones not only detect passenger presence, but base the deployment rate on persons size (weight).
    Also, the side curtain airbags are programmed to stay inflated for up to 6 seconds for complete rollover protection.
    GM also uses Safety Belt Pretensioners with EMR's (Energy Mgmt Retractors). Read more about it, but basically they are smart belt tensioners and protect you from seatblet injuries. Very ingenious, read about it before you comment.
    Which truck has more safety/control features, Chevy or Toyota?
    This is a continuation from previous post on airbags...
    Not sure what Toy's have, but here is what GM's have (in addition to the features listed in previous airbag post).
    Onstar (new version 7.0): Not only automatically notifies Emergency services upon airbag deployment, but also calls you after a minor accident in which the airbags do not deploy to make sure you are ok and to see if E-services are necessary. This is only one of several new enhancements to Onstars' system. Diagnostics are also improved and will e-mail you reports on complete system operation. Not bad, my car will e-mail me when it needs something or just to let me know it's functioning properly. (ALL systems, including safety systems such as the ABS system).
    Tire Pressure Monitor: Standard on ALL GM trucks. The DIC can display the tire pressure of each individual tire and alert you when one falls below a specified pressure.
    Enhanced Safety Cage and Crush Zones: read about it on their website for complete details. But basically, the frame and cab are designed with high-tech features aimed at safety in crashes.
    There are many more safety features, but I believe Tundra would also have them, so I am not going to type them all out.
This discussion has been closed.