Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• jreaganjreagan Posts: 285
    I will admit a 6-speed is better than a 4-speed, never said it wasn't. As long as it is as durable. I was merely mentioning the technology GM was using to improve it. Obviously, they think it is better too, otherwise they wouldn't be ramping up to use them as standard later this year. I admit, Toy has the advantage in the tranny....for a few more months anyway.
    it is also 1.2 inches deeper on the Tundra on all models

Give me an example of why this is better? People are criticizing Fords because their bed is also deep, which makes side-loading/unloading more difficult.
    BTW, the new GM's are also deeper than last models.
  • beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Here is a rundown of what Toyota's system does as you asked in your post. This was written for their SUVs but the technology on the Tundra is the same if not more advanced (since the Tundra's is a more modern version of the same systems):

"THE TOYOTA STAR SAFETY SYSTEMTM
    If a stereo system comes standard on an SUV, shouldn’t a safety system?
    Introducing Toyota’s Star Safety SystemTM, a combination of five safety features that
    comes standard with every one of Toyota’s five SUVs: Vehicle Stability Control, Traction
    Control, Anti-lock Brakes, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, and Brake Assist. All
    designed for one purpose: to help keep the driver in control of the vehicle at all times.
    Because when it comes to the well-being of you and your passengers, Toyota has
    raised the standard.

Vehicle Stability Control
    Stability Control, or VSC for short, helps prevent two factors that frequently cause
    drivers to lose control of their vehicles: front-wheel slip and rear-wheel slip.

Traction Control
    Traction Control, helps maintain traction on wet, icy, loose or uneven surfaces. Like
    Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control applies wheel brake individually and reduces
    engine output to help assist the driver with control of the vehicle.

Anti-lock Braking System
    Toyota’s Star Safety SystemTM for SUVs incorporates Anti-lock Brake System
    technology, also known as ABS. Anti-lock Brake System helps ensure that you’re able
    to continue steering during emergency braking situations.

Electronic Brake-force Distribution
    Electronic Brake-force Distribution responds to driving conditions by optimizing the
    amount of brake-force that’s sent to each wheel, even below the level of ABS operation.
    This helps keep you, the driver, in control of your vehicle in both normal and emergency
    driving conditions. Here’s how it works.

Brake Assist
    The way Brake Assist has been designed, you’ll probably never notice that it’s there.
    But it’s an essential component of Toyota’s Star Safety SystemTM for SUVs. In
    emergency situations, Brake Assist applies additional brake pressure so you can take
    full advantage of Anti-lock Brake System.

All of the Star Safety Systems discussed — Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Anti-lock Brake System,
    Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control — are designed to help the driver maintain
    vehicle control under adverse conditions. When Anti-lock Brake System is activated, the driver should
    not release the brake while it is pulsating. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering
    input can all affect whether Vehicle Stability Control will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please
    see your Owner's Manual for further details. "
    jreagan,
    Speak for yourself on this one. If rear-seat space was of no concern, it wouldn't be increasing on every truck model for the last 30 years. More to the point is that there is more leg room without as much bed space taken out. That says something about the quality of the design. Add 6 inches of cab room, take 3 out of the bed -- better design.
    But actual equipment to help prevent and protect in an accident favor the Tundra when you consider air-bags, drive/brake controls (mentioned previously). Crush zones, frame and cab design are all designed on the Tundra as well.

Air bags? Please!!! the GM's are just as good, show me how they aren't? And DON"T tell me 6 or 8 or 4000 is better than 4. Look at area and "Smartness".
    Drive/Brake controls? Please elaborate. With facts please. The GM's have the same technology.
    Crush Zones? Um, they all have these. Why are Toyotas better?
    Add 6 inches of cab room, take 3 out of the bed -- better design.
    Don't forget, the overall length is increased too. That makes big difference since people (like me) have limited garage space.
    Agreed..equal to, but NOT better than GM's. Again, same technology, different terminology.
    You answered your own question here... GM's is deeper because it is better. Deeper means you can hold more things in the bed under a hard or soft tonneau covers such as those big 5-gallon paint cans, etc.
    Point is it isn't a big deal, but I mentioned it because it was mentioned that 3 inches on the short-truck bed was mentioned. Point is if you get a crew cab, you're more concerned with interior space anyway. The fact that it has a 3" shorter bed is not too relevent. Now if it was on a long bed, then I would agree with you. But we're talking a crew cab model. So I mentioned the depth as well to make the point. Either way, the Tundra gets the extra 6" of interior room - BMW charges an extra $6K for 4.7" more room in the back seat of their 7 series... this is practically free.
    You Toy guys can all go by stupid magazines reports and comparos, but let's be realistic, Money talks here. The more they advertise, the more attention and good PR they get.
    I go by personal experience!!! And my personal experience shows me that GM is an awesome vehicle when it comes to reliability. nuff said!!
    See post 1242 for why controls are better. Again, if you can't see the benefit of more air bags then your logic is seriously flawed. Get t-boned in a car accident and you'll be praying for those extra side air bags. Both the Tundra and Silverado use "smart" air bags -- no difference there, just less available on the SIlverado and less standard.
    Yes, stronger means more hp/torque.

That is your opinion. My defintion of strength also includes robustness and durability. ie: How good is a pro athlete (football player or any other sport where strength is required) if he cannot play the entire game?

The 6.0 GM has 6-bolt mains, how many does the Toy have? 2? maybe 4?
    I agree that the side airbags should be standard, and by next they will be..on ALL vehicles, as mandated by our government. notice I said OUR government. Not Japan's.
    jreagan,
    Nobody claimed that YOUR particular vehicle isn't reliable. What you claimed earlier was that GM trucks were more reliable than Toyota. Well, I wanted to give you reputable sources that definitely show otherwise. I don't wish for you to have any problems at all with your truck, I hope your experience is a good one. But we as consumers can't just depend on one or two individual accounts -- they vary so much. We have to depend on cumulative information to get an idea of paterns or weaknesses in design. That is all.
    BTW, CR does not get any PR or money from advertising from anybody. As far as I know, neither does the DMV.
    Not IMO, I was hesitant to get the Crew Cab because I like my 6.5' bed in my ext cab. But ultimately I wanted the Crew Cab, If my garage were big enough and they offered it, I would have gotten a CrewCab with the 6.5' box. So, 5.8 foot is already too short for my taste, 3 inches less is even worse. I have two young daughters that ride in the back and my 2000 ext cab is plenty big for them. I just wanted the 4 real doors. Otherwise the Ext cab would have been sufficient. Yes, this is my opinion, but I beleive many others feel this way too. When it comes to balancing truck/bed/rear seat length, it's a give-and-take. I think Toy gave too much to the rear seat and took too much from the bed.
    I don't think this is a subjective question at all. You have been arguing hp/torque numbers for 30+ years with Ford and Dodge. It still applies here. Look at the torque curve, hp numberes -- even the dynos that put the power at the wheel -- all better for the Tundra.
    Show me how 6-bolt mains=stronger engine and then ask the question separately or just ask it outright. I don't know how many the Toyota has - I can't find the info. But again, show me a case where less bolts=less "strength".
    My point..I don't trust any magazines comparisons. I trust my experience with GMs over the past 18 years. I have NO reason to even consider anything else. And my awesome experience with GM's is why I am here backing them up. You think I would be here saying this if I had bad experiences? No way, My loyalty is not based on family tradition or any other BS reasons, it is based on personal experience and no magazine article will convince me otherwise.
    jreagan,
    Opinion is subjective. You stated that hp/torque being equal to strength is MY opinion! Please!! Show me one automotive web site that claims this... just one! I want to see that more hp/torque does not make the vehicle "stronger". Please... you not accepting that is YOUR opinion, not everybody else's...
    I'm happy that you have a great vehicle! But you can't base a whole company's vehicle quality based on your sole experience. You claimed that and it is up to you to prove. I gave you evidence otherwise and for the past x-hundred posts on this forum, there has not been one source cited to support your claim. That's all I'm saying. What you choose is your business.
    Show me how 6-bolt mains=stronger engine and then ask the question separately or just ask it outright. I don't know how many the Toyota has - I can't find the info. But again, show me a case where less bolts=less "strength".

Common sense, at least for an ME. Just look back over the years, the high HP engines and big blocks all had 4 bolt mains and smaller, less hp, lower perf engines used 2 bolt mains.
    The crank sees ALOT of forces and the main bearings have to support these forces. The better the structure around them, the stronger the engine.
    But you can't base a whole company's vehicle quality based on your sole experience.

I sure can, why can't I? Oh, and it should have been plural..VehicleS
This discussion has been closed.