Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• jreaganjreagan Posts: 285
    Ok, Here are some MSRP comparison numbers obtained right here on Edmunds.com. These numbers I found to be extremely accurate with the dealer's numbers, at least on my particular vehicle. Also, these numbers are based on comparably equipped trucks, as noted.

2007 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with the following options:
    6.0 engine, includes SD tranny, HD rear diff, ext engine cooling, ext tranny cooling, 4 wheel disc brakes.
    20" aluminum wheels
    Power sunroof (retracts INTO roof on crewcabs)
    Side-head curtain airbags Std on Tundra
    HD trailering pkg
    Locking rear Diff (Unavailable on Tundra)
    Skid plate pkg
    Engine block heater.
    MSRP: $42,930
    Invoice: $38,995 (Price paid by me)
    Discounts: (2) $1000 rebates = $2000 total
    0% financing for 36 months
    Net price paid: $36,995 (not including finance charge savings from 0% deal)

2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Ltd 5.7
    Options:
    20" wheels
    Moonroof
    Cold Kit
    TRD Offroad pkg
    Daytime running lamps. std on GM

MSRP: $44,435 (closely represents actual sales price)
    Invoice: $40,070
    Discounts: None? w/ Possible $2500 off MSRP ???
    Net price: $41,935

Did I miss anything?

Now, tell me which one is less expensive?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Yep.. you're darn tootin'. If you can't prove any benefit other than it 'feels' better then you've bought into the Ford mechanical bling-bling hype.

You have every right to enjoy your ride but it's not better for that very questionable feature. It's only your 'impression' that's better.

...and the Tundra tows like crazy with a state-of-the-art 6 spd transmission, ( now there's something you can measure ;) ) something only a few T900 models can state. When it comes down to hard facts you're barking up the wrong tree.

The rest of your statement is supposition at best. That means it carries equal weight as 'it feels more solid'.
    we were talking about two different vehicles. Me the EC vs DC you the CC vs the CM. Both sets of numbers are correct.

The EC Silvy/Sierra is several thousand more expensive than the DC Tundra.

The CC Silvy/Sierra is several thousand less expensive than the CM Tundra.

This leads to the obvious conclusion? [ Hint: Toy plans to produce 60-70% of the vehicles as DC's; 20+% as CM and 10-20% as Reg Cabs ]. They want to compete primarily in the DC/EC/SC/QC market so this is where their pricing is the lowest. Losing sales due to relatively higher prices will not be that critical in the RC's and CM's since the volume will be much, much smaller. Again initially there will only be 175K to 250K units made. Compete where the volume is and the pricing is best applied.
    and the Tundra tows like crazy with a state-of-the-art 6 spd transmission,

I gave you this one, however, what about in 6-9 months when GM is able to put their 6-spd in every 1/2 ton? Then what? Also, when the higher powered 6.2l is readily available in every 1/2 ton? Better enjoy being on top of the "power" heap now, while you can, because it aint gonna last, mark my words.
    I know.. just about the same time the HD Tundra's hit the market. Then there will be a whole 'nother discussion to have. ;)

Now here is something to consider.. and it's just Sunday afternoon speculation...
    Dodge is supposed to get a diesel 1500...soon.
    Toyota has the Isuzu engineers working on something...?

How about a 1500 diesel ( and I admit to being on thin ice here ) with a small I4 or I6 that can tow up to say 12000 lbs but get 20-25 mpg all day long with no load?
    The EC Silvy/Sierra is several thousand more expensive than the DC Tundra.

Not according to Edmunds pricing:

2007 Chev Silvy LTZ 4x4 4dr ext cab with 6.0
    MSRP: $36,205
    Invoice: $33,119

2007 Toyota Tundra Ltd 4dr double cab w 5.7
    MSRP: $39,195
    Invoice: $35,532

Explanation please?
    I know.. just about the same time the HD Tundra's hit the market. Then there will be a whole 'nother discussion to have.

Whose talking about HD's? GM will offer the 6.2 and the 6 spd's in the 1/2 tons. Let's stick with 1/2 tons for now. Answer the question...based on 1/2 tons please.
    Even the GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2 liter and the 6-spd tranny prices out similar to the Tundra LTD 5.7 with similar options.

2007 Sierra Denali AWD 6.2 liter
    with sunroof and 20" wheels:
    MSRP: $44,825
    Invoice: $40,860

See previous post #1341 for Tundra #'s

Hmm, for virtually the same price, I could have the MORE POWERFUL, FASTER Denali than the Tundra. With WAY more luxury and features.
    Tough choice???
  • toykickstoykicks Posts: 95
    overcompensation jreagan ;) Wish i had your time.
    overcompensation jreagan Wish i had your time.

Huh?
    Even though we will disagree on this point, there is no way in Edmunds or the Chevy site to spec out a 6.0L Silverado with the Max Trailering Package. It's just not there.

It is there in the Sierra!

So the correct comparo is Tundra Ltd vs Sierra SLT
    5.7L vs 5.3L Base prices, Both 4WD
    Both have Stability Ctrl & Trac Ctrl, Leather, Htd seats, premium sound systems, BT vs Onstar

Base w/Frt : $35150 ... $39195
    ADD:
    curtain A/B...... 395 .. Included
    6.0L w/MTP..... 2265 .. Included
    Tailgate Damp.... 95 .. Included
    Deck Cargo Sys. 175 .. Included
    TOTAL ........$38135 ... $39195

$1000 difference in favor of the Sierra with the equipment as equal as possible. ( no side A/B Sierra, no rear locker Tundra ) ( 4 spd tranny vs 6 spd tranny )
    Forget the Chevy website...go to www.polarchev.com (a local dealer here in MN. Check their inventory. They have a LTZ with the 6.0 and MAX TRAILERING pkg listed on the window sticker (click on "window sticker")

I will go find the link for you right now... This will put this stupid argument to rest once and for all...
    SILVERADO 1500 4WD CREW CAB LTZ
    VORTEC 6.0L V8 SFI GAS ENGINE W/ ACTIVE FUEL MGT TECHNOLOGY
    TRANSMISSION, 4-SPD SUPER DUTY
    Graystone Metallic
    Ebony
    MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE
    Options installed by Manufacturer
    NAVIGATION RADIO W/CD/DVD/MP3
    ** REPLACES STD 6-DISC CD **
    $ 2,250.00
    P265/70R17 OOR BW TIRES
    $ 55.00
    EZ LIFT TAILGATE PACKAGE:
    LOCKING TAILGATE
    EZ LIFT TAILGATE
    $ 95.00
    SAFETY PACKAGE:
    HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS
    ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
    REAR PARKING ASSIST
    $ 715.00
    ELECTRIC SLIDING SUNROOF
    $ 685.00
    MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE:
    VORTEC 6.0L V8 367HP/375TOR
    4-SPEED HEAVY DUTY AUTO TRANS
    HEAVY DUTY TRAILERING AXLE
    $ 1,260.00
    OFF ROAD - SKID PLATES
    $ 95.00
    CARGO MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
    $ 175.00
    ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
    $ 50.00
    REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
    $ 1,295.00
    SILVERADO LTZ EQUIPMENT GROUP:
    12 WAY POWER HEATED BUCKET
    SEATS W/DRIVER MEMORY
    LTHR APPTD SEATING SURFACES
    OSRV MIRRORS W/POWER FOLD &
    ADJ, HEAT, TILT, TURN SIGNAL
    AND DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING
    BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM
    UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
    HEATED WASHER FLUID SYSTEM
    RAINSENSE WIPERS
    REMOTE VEHICLE START
    HD TRAILERING EQUIPMENT
    LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL
    STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS
    POWER LOCKS AND WINDOWS
    INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO
    DIMMING, COMPASS, TEMPERATURE
    REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
    AUTOTRAC TRANSFER CASE
    NO CHARGE
    GVW RATING - 7,300 LBS
    NO CHARGE
    XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE
    FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
    $ 199.00
    TOTAL OPTIONS $5,499.20
    TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $0.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE $900.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*** $45,864.00
    CURRENT OFFERS $-0.00
    NET PRICE $0.00

Now do you beleive me?

http://www.polarchev.com/inventory/details.aspx?id=80935&s=n&y=2007&d=Chevrolet&- - m=Silverado%201500

Click on window sticker
    Is IS also available on the Edmunds website...Look again

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chevrolet/silverado1500/100810026/options.html?a- ction=1&x=50&y=15

3rd item on options list...
    Yep you are right and it seems that the NHT is offered as you indicate on that sticker.

I will graciously acquiece and state that you are and have been correct in the trailering issue. Nicely done.
    no side A/B Sierra,

Huh, It certainly does have side-curtain airbags. Just cuz they call them head-side curtain airbags doesn't mean a thing. They are the same thing!!! They protect from the armrest up, and the GM's are smarter.
    Nope the difference is that they have side curtain airbags but not a separate set of side torso airbags.

They've been to airbag school longer?
    Sure, when you tailor the comparison to include items that are standard on Tundra and optional on GM, you can get the numbers close, but that's it...close!!! (within $1000). Try comparing with no options other than those necessary to get them equally equipped. Or randomly? Bottom line, GM's are cheaper by a MINIMUM of $1000 and the difference goes up from there.
    And this is based on MSRP's Tundras sell at MSRP, GM's sell at invoice...now crunch the numbers!!! I'll wait...
    Their airbags are combined...same area of protection.

Smarter = They detect type of crash (side impact vs rollover) and they can stay inflated for up to 6 seconds in a rollover to prevent secondary (post-impact) injury or ejection.
    Cool huh?
    Oh and BTW, you can get the 6.0 without ordering the Max trailering pkg for only $1000 instead of $2k+.... I know, I did it.
    So, for comparisons, opt for the 6.0 without max trailering pkg. This will make the GM's even less and will still provide everything except 4.10 gears. (You will have to add HD towing pkg for about $350 though).
This discussion has been closed.