Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I want them to transcend from just making quality/reliable appliance vehicles (not that that's a small feat) into injecting some excitement into what they already do so well

Different routes to the same eventual goal. Who has been as focused in new technology as Toyota as of late.
    a) hybrids ... they literally are dragging the rest of the industry ( sometimes kicking and screaming ) into the 21st century.
    b) SmartKey, BT and backup camera's
    c) the Tundra is going to redefine the pickup market. It is likely a whole generation ahead of the others at this time.
  • But can them new tundra ones haul? Got a 48 GMC workin that farm, and it hauls 8 cart tobacco train. Lookin for a new one, but it got to hold up workin that farm. Any word if this new tundra can work hard? Don't need no yuppie truck, just one that can work hard and last long. Is this tundra one of them ones? Anyone workin em yet? Good luck on this one now!
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    You KNOW them "furrun" (for loss of a better word)
    trucks can't work ! Been proven again and again !
    These folks KNOW that......Thats why they are talkin'
    those teeny wanna be "cars" and their 99 speed auto.
    transmissions and standard body bags ! Cuz if they get
    hit by a REAL car or truck they are gonna need one
    and a undertaker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure Franklin will agree ! :P
    Silly post with no basis in fact one who until last week didn't even know that there was a new Tundra on the street. As of this week the three domestics had been eclipsed in....
    size
    engines
    transmissions
    hauling
    towing
    acceleration
    safety featires
    PRICING of all things

Is there any subject that you are often correct in writing about? You do realize that Chevy, Ford and Dodge are in 4th 5th and 6th places respectively in these categories:
    Tundra
    Sierra
    Titan
    Silverado
    Ford
    Dodge

Why would you want to buy one of the trucks at the bottom of the list, Geo9? Would you actually choose one of the least capable trucks by choice?
  • lol...well...look at al-qaida and taliban...whenever you see a tv footage of them on tv they drive toyota trucks, exclusively... driving in countries with no paved roads and knowing that very often, your life depends on the car you drive... who needs a better endorsement?
  • We are lookin for a full size truck for that farm. Do them tundra ones still have them pee-wee pumpkins and such? How is that wheelbase on them ones? Lookin for a full size one with haul. This truck will be workin that farm, not that highway now. Not interested in chrome doo-dads, just haul. Whay say? Good luck on this one now!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    Nope -- 10.5" ring gear on these ones. Best in class. Haven't you seen the commercial on TV -- wait, I already know the answer to that.
    Largest punkin in the patch. 10.5" ring gear, 6 spd tranny 4.30 : 1 final gear ratio on all them 5.7's.

Longest ( wheelbase 145" ) and tightest turning circle ( 44' ). Ya can actually turn up and down those rows of corn in the rear 40.

It's also the widest ( with the Silvy @ 79.9" ) and has the most room inside.
  • Yup....I am gonna RUN down and buy a NEW problematic
    truck:

You've really got no room to talk. After more than twenty years of poor quality issues, recalls and problems from the big three, Toyota has not even begun to compete with the big three in the recall arena. The big three are the kings of poor quality and always will be.

Read the article below. The difference between Toytoa and the big 3 is that Toyota will fix these issues and will maintain the consistent quality they are known for. The big 3 have a spotty quality record at best, and it's very difficult for them to maintain consistency.

Toyota: Striving for Perfection

...The problems got so bad that, in July, Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe felt obliged to bow deeply in apology.

Has any of the big three apologized for how they've stuck it to their customers? Companies are not perfect. When they fess up admit there is a problem and vow to fix it, customers are understanding.

Toyota chieftains say the company is making progress. In December, Executive Vice-President Masatami Takimoto said that when it comes to recalls, "the worst is now over." And Watanabe, while again apologizing for recent faults in vehicles, said Toyota is "right on track in ensuring good quality."

Read and educate yourself for once Geo. Toyota has apologized for these problems and says they are back on track, and I believe them. If any company has earned the benefit of the the doubt, Toyota has with their quality history.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You KNOW them "furrun" (for loss of a better word)
    trucks can't work ! Been proven again and again !
    These folks KNOW that......Thats why they are talkin'
    those teeny wanna be "cars" and their 99 speed auto.
    transmissions and standard body bags ! Cuz if they get
    hit by a REAL car or truck they are gonna need one
    and a undertaker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure Franklin will agree !

Yet another award-worthy post with lots of background and supporting information for the claims made. Bravo!
    Remember were talkin' RECALLS TODAY, NOW...........
    Not in the PAST ! And toyota is the KING !!!!!!!!!!

Nah......its just a glitch ! :sick:
  • GM/Ford will have recalls in the FUTURE, isn't that even more scary than toyota's recall NOW? at least we know what's wrong with it... i'm sorry to say but chances are you going to be the one "discovering" the yet unknown, potentialy fatal defect....i'd switch to foreign brand now, till there's still time.
  • Remember were talkin' RECALLS TODAY, NOW...........
    Not in the PAST ! And toyota is the KING !!!!!!!!!!

Ummmm....no, We're not talking about recalls today. since when do you get to define the discussion. When talking about recalls, you need to take the whole history of the maunfacturer into account, and Toyota/Honda are the quality/reliability kings. You said it, it's just a glitch. That's the first thing you've been right about so far. 0ne correct statement out of a thousand isn't bad.

These recalls at best could be described as an anomaly in an otherwise superb munufacturing system. GM partnered with Toyota in Fremont Ca. precisely to learn how to make quality cars from Toyota. I might add that the Toyota's Tranny glitches were the result of an American supplier. The replacement trannies are from Japan. How embarrasing for the US. Toyota trusts us to deliver one qualtiy part and we can't even get that right. I'm sure that's a mistake they won't repeat twice.
  • How is that one holdin up at that corn farm now? How much haul has it done? Lookin for folks who is workin em hard now. I need one that is long lastin and hard workin. That factory has told them tales on em before, not lookin to get tricked on this one now. I need to hear from folks who has worked em, not read bout em. Has you worked that one in that corn farm? Can you tell me more about how they worked hard? Good luck on this one now!
    Again you are out of date. I guess you didn't see the trends posted last month on recalls by the top 4 here in the US. Here is a hint: for 2006 the detroiter each had more recalls here than Toyota did.

Do you ever post anything accurate? Do you ever read (?) or listen to the news?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    AutoObserver.com

Well-known automotive writer Michelle Krebs is the senior editor and starts the new site with an article regarding the new Tundra, "Truck Wars: Toyota Challenges Detroit Loyalty"

Be sure to give it a read!

kcram - Pickups Host
    Yup...........
    toyota LEADING the pack for 07.... 500,000 + truck and SUV
    models RECALLED already and its only Jan. !

How many from GM, Ford, or Mopar THIS YEAR ????????

The pacific rim folks are gettin' their panties in a
    bunch because so far THIS YEAR toyota is the recall KING!

Are the reports true that honda is gonna discontinue the
    SLOW selling Pantyline......err....ridgeline ?
    Have they worked out their strut failure, water leak,
    or squeeky dashboard issues yet?
    I wonder how the Edmunds long term tester pantyline is
    holding up? I wonder how many MORE dealer repair visits
    they have had lately ? Gonna have to check it out.....
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    This is not the place for corporate finger-pointing. Topic here is Tundra vs Silverado. Discuss those trucks, please.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Man, this forum is getting people all worked up!! It is interesting to me that people here are trying to determine what makes their favorite truck better than the next when less than 5% of the people that buy 1/2 ton trucks actually tow 80% or more of the truck's max towing weight. Say it with me people... REAL truck buyers get 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. 1/2 ton trucks have been relegated to families and small businesses. That is why you see things like rear-seat dvd entertainment systems and dual-zone climate controls. What guy out at a construction site is going to buy a 1/2 ton truck with those things? They're going to get a stripped down truck with a full-size bed or crew cab (or both). Any of the big truck manufacturers are fantastically capable for families/small businesses. It will be things like interior quality, features, options, ride quality, durability, resale, and safety that will determine whether sales of the 1/2 ton truck market start pointing in Toyota's direction.
    However, given trends over the last 30 years, I think it is safe to say that Toyota's sales are continually rising while the Big 3's are continually shrinking. People like geo9 can make all the arguments they want against this trend, but it doesn't change these facts. GM, Ford, Dodge... they are all cutting workers and closing plants and restructuring to become leaner, smaller, and more efficient at their business. Toyota, Nissan and Honda are expanding in the U.S. The argument about Asian vs. NA vehicles is almost negligent anyway. If you want to support Americans, buy from Toyota, Nissan and Honda! Most of their plants, parts, and employees are right here! Look at GM/Ford/Dodge... most of their vehicles are assembled here, but are made in Canada and Mexico (and parts also come from Asia). So, the whole economic/loyalty rules have changed. All you do when you buy a vehicle from any manufacturer is support the stockholders behind them; the workforce is determined by various production/cost factors. I'm willing to bet that a lot of investing American's hold some amount of Toyota stock in their portfolio.
    If the Big 3 really want to stop loosing market share to their rivals, they need to first get back to their roots of being loyal to their own people. Bring manufacturing back home. Improve products by making better interiors and design and stop trying to rely on marketing to state your position... do the job first and then make your claims. I see GM as catching on to this already... Ford and Dodge are still struggling with this concept of do first, talk later.
    In any case, I think the Tundra is an exceptional truck. It probably won't meet its numbers because its work truck is too expensive. But I can see it taking sales from Ford, GM and Nissan. Arguing about a couple of hundred pounds in towing or 50 lbs in payload is not the criteria most 1/2 ton buyers are going to judge their vehicles by. Value has many more dimensions than just towing/hauling. Toyota has a reputation for great resale value and reliability. Bottom line is, like it or not, the Big 3 have few segments, if any, left for them to dominate. Once competitors start producing real work trucks (3/4 ton and 1 ton), their most profitable market segments will be threatened and overall profits will be reduced unless they are successful at doing more for less than their competitors. That takes years of hard, disciplined, and focused work from every level of employee in the workforce and management teams. Hopefully they will get there!
  • That is a good tell belias... but can them forien ones hold up to workin farms and such? Not interested in doo-dads and chrome now, we need ones with haul that last longer. And them magazines tell nothing on em, lookin for folks who work em, not write on em. Is that new tundra another t100 one, or can it be worked on that farm? This is how we measure that value on them ones now! Has any folks worked em yet? How bout that fella with that corn farm? Good luck on this one now!
    I see your point and that is what I was trying to say; all the 1/2 ton trucks are fully capable of being great work trucks, but none are "real" trucks. Real trucks are 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. But I would say that even those trucks 15 years ago were not as strong as most 1/2 ton trucks today... so, although we can argue back and forth about which truck is better, the reality is that in terms of capability, all are very good. It really comes down to preference in terms of design, quality, reliability, etc.. that will make the purchase choice.
    Remember toyota doesn't sell shares of its "stock"
    here in the USA. They are too (for a better word)
    sneaky or hiding something! Or not wanting to conform
    to US stock rules, SEC regs. etc etc........

What you purchase is a American Depository Receipt !
    Which "represents" 2 shares of toyota stock.........

Hmmmmm........So when folks post how much higher yota
    "stock" price is than GM, Ford, DC they don't have a
    clue !
    Did you know toyotas average "dividend" is 21 CENTS
    per share SEMI-ANNUALLY ?????????

Search toyota.com they tell ya or call your friendly stock
    broker...............
    Rube........Can't work that toyota here in snow country !
    That less than "full size" truck don't offer a snow plow
    prep. pkg. (WITH A FULL WARRANTY) like them hardworkin'
    1/2 ton ones from Ford or GM..............

Seems those peewee ones ain't made for workin' here in
    snow country !

I am sure Franklin will agree on that one now ! :P
    As if this were on topic...

But if the value of the shares goes up and up and up and up and ..... can I draw you a clearer picture? I have no interest in dividends anyway. Most of my holdings have no dividends at all.

I am certain that you will be very happy in your 1990's-vintage truck than one of these confangled new ones. Settling for a lesser product is always an option. That's the beauty of this market. There are choices for everyone.
  • JERRY SPRINGER DRIVES A TRUCK?

I DIDN'T THINK HE COULD EVEN SPELL IT!

CK
    I'm not sure what the heck you're talking about, you can buy their stock just as easily as anybody else's... Toyota is listed as TM (Toyota Motors) on the NYSE. No problem with dividends when their shares earned $7.18/share last year. Here is the listing, click on "more detail" to read for yourself...
    http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TM
    Wow, ok, well I guess you're showing how deluded your claims are. My little dodge omni and toyota celica were more than enough to get me through Manitoba, Canada winters when I lived there a few years ago. Half-ton trucks then didn't have even half the power that they do now and you think that this truck which is LARGER than the domestics can't do it? LOL!! Give me a break!
    Look, do yourself a favor and make an objective comparison. These type of uninformed claims only serve to make the Big 3 disillusion themselves into thinking that they don't need to do anymore to get better. That is why they are loosing market share. You aren't serving their interest by trying to cover up the obvious to everyone. Like it or not most every manufacturer respects that this new truck is large, well-built, and has a strong engine and good interior. Trying to claim that it can't make it through snow is unbelievably short-sighted. Jeeps have been doing it for decades (and they've NEVER offered a snow-plow on their vehicles) and 99% of the truck-driving population does not get a snow plow as they can manage quite fine without it.
    Those that have it either a) live on a farm where they need to use it (if they already don't have a plow hooked-up to one of their tractors), or b) have a side business where they help clear parking lots and private roads during the winter. I lived in a farming community for over 20 years and rarely (if ever) saw a truck in a parking lot at work/school with a snow plow on it. That is in a place that gets a bitterly cold 6-months-of-the-year winter in central Canada.
    Get a dose of reality here will ya? You don't need ANY truck, much less a full-size 4x4 1/2 ton truck to get through snow... I can do that with any regular two-wheel drive car and have been doing it for the last 20 years. Unless you have had winters worse than central Canada, I would like to see your reasoning on this...
  • I am sorry to point this out. I have been lurking for a while and I just can't get over how silly this comparison has gotten
    Does anyone on this board actually tow more than a bass boat? I am just curious, because both Chevy and Toyota guys keep bringing up tow ratings.

Real truck guys will agree: No one in their right mind would make a habit of towing more than 7 or 8 thousand lbs with a half-ton truck. I wouldn't tow that kind of weight without trailer brakes, distributing hitch, and a diesel motor....and I don't see many of those installed on 1/2 trucks.

And the payload capacity? A bail of hay or load of dirt is about the only thing that could approach the max payload of the 1/2 ton Silverado and the Tundra and still actually fit in the bed...and I don't think 1/2 truck buyers tend to do that sort of work for two reasons: someone who is paying 30 large or more for a truck isn't going to be the type to shovel dirt from a pickup nor let a bail of hay bend his bed-rails.

These trucks are for those with light towing/hauling needs but want to brag about being the best. Once most of you can get past that...then you'd probably find the 4.7L Tundra and 5.3L Silverado to be very attractive vehicles. If they can't do what you want to do...then you need to think about an F250 or Silverado HD or the soon to be Tundra HD.

Just my $0.02.
    Exactly!! I agree, those in the "know" understand that real trucks don't start until you get into 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups.
This discussion has been closed.