Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tundra Problems

bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
I know that this topic will not get much activity, but I think that it is important to have a topic where Tundra Owners or persons interest in owning a Tundra can post questions or comments about Tundra problems.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    But be forewarned... this will NOT be a place to argue about Brand X is better or worse than Brand Y.

It's time to show a little self control folks...

I'll also link this discussion to the Toyota Owners Clubs message boards...

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• duckshooterduckshooter Posts: 156
    Is there a way to adjust this yourself? It's an annoyance at most and I'd like to just fix it myself. Had the same problem with my old Runner. I remember taking the post apart once to look at it but don't remember exactly what I did.

Jeff
  • big_tunabig_tuna Posts: 3
    . . . with the seatbelt tensioners, but all I remember is that someone suggested cleaning the mechanism out. My '94 pick-up developed that problem pretty early in life - I never fixed it.

I thought I'd post a couple of issues I have with my 2002 regular cab 4x4 Tundra (about 1600 miles on it now). . . one problem is that I can't seem to stop driving it . . . my Eurovan is languishing in the carport ever since the Tundra showed up.

But seriously, sometimes it is a little stubborn about coming out of Park unless I let it roll up against the parking detent, which is something I always try not to do with an automatic transmission. Anybody else experience this? Second problem: does anyone else think the A/C-turned-on idle speed is a little erratic? Fluctuates between 600-1100 rpm - I probably need to get this adjusted. Third and final problem: passenger's side rear leaf spring is a little off-kilter (the bottom thickest one). It is offset on the diagonal by about 3/4 of an inch. It doesn't seem to effect anything or make noise, but it bugs me a little. I wonder if I can just have the dealer loosen the shackles while it is up on a lift, straighten it and tighten it back up again? I'll be heading out for some off-roading soon, so I was thinking maybe some good whomping will straighten it out on its' own . . .
    *devilish grin*.

Other than that, what a great truck. I really like it. Anybody else out there have a regular cab 4x4? They seem pretty rare.

Cheers,

Tex
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    I have a 1998 Tacoma V6 and at idle with the AC on, my engine does the exact same thing. Every minute or so, I hear what sounds like a relay "tick" and the rpms get bumped up a little. I've been told it's normal and I haven't had any problems.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Since this discussion is linked to the Owners Clubs, (where you ARE supposed to be an owner to participate) I decided to alter the title of this since people MIGHT come here to ask about problems they might have or might be concerned about if they are inthe market for a Tundra.

This is NOT a go-ahead to continue the battle. It is NOT an OK to try and "prove" that some other vehicle is better.

You know who you are... exercise some self-control.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• losangelesemtlosangelesemt Posts: 279
    I've been noticing more and more Tundra ads that are geared towards the workhorse aspect of the truck. Not sure if Toyota is changing their marketing slighty or what. Looked on back of this months Popular Science and found a Tundra being used as a work truck. Wondering if they're attempting to win over the "domestic" crowd, who are used to their trucks being worked pretty well. Thinking it might be a good marketing ploy, with the bigger and better Tundra soon to be released.
  • h0udinih0udini Posts: 118
    about Tundra problems, and Toyota problems in general - or more correctly, their lack of problems relative to the rest of the industry:

http://www.dailynewslosangeles.com/business/articles/0302/13/biz05.asp

Toyota took top honors in 4 spots out of 10!
  • hillhoundhillhound Posts: 537
    especially the great big Northridge Toyota ad on the front page and the Northridge Toyota popup ad that appeared in front of me when I clicked on the link. Luckily I keep this product handy for just such occasions...

http://www.lamer.net/bsrepel.jpg

Phew...that's better!!

• tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    You reference in your post #7 "the bigger, better Tundra soon to be released."......
    Is this the proposed 3/4 ton that was discussed in another topic that was closed?
    What is "soon"??
    Does Toyota currently have any engine large enough to handle a 3/4 ton tow/load capacity?
    Seems like there was specualtion about a 5.4L in the closed topic....do you know if Toyota is actually testing this engine?
    Has there ACTUALLY been an announcement of this vehicle by Toyota, or is this just speculation on the part of Toyota loyalists?
    Even if it is at this point speculation, what availability date are you hearing??
    IF they build it, and IF it is REALLY a 3/4 ton, I will be interested when I'm ready to replace my current vehicle.
    Are there any magazine or news articles you can steer me toward to learn more?
    Thanks for any answers you can provide.
    Tom
    3/4 ton pretty quick if they follow GMC's footsteps and simply put an Isuzu or some other manufacturer's engine in it, but then it wouldn't be a Toyota would it? Kind of how like the Duramax diesel isn't a GMC. Though that's not a bad thing...

tom, your anxiety over Toyota's venture into the full-size truck market is transparent, but that's perfectly understandable. We all know what happens when Toyota sets their sights.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    is the cummins a dodge?

I heard toyota might possibly use a cat diesel engine. SO i guess it wouldnt be a toyota. It would have a nice engine though
    Dodge but it has been used for an awfully long time in their Rams, as has the PSD in the Fords. GMC can't say the same; they play "musical" engines in their trucks, alternating between their own and even Japanese engines in their quest to "get it right."

I doubt the Toyota will use the CAT engine. I could be mistaken, but the diesel in their extremely successful overseas Hilux is Toyota developed, and any 3/4 ton Toyota truck offered here will probably be Toyota developed as well.
    I agree with your statements about gm jumping around with their diesel engines but i believe they will stick with the Dmax.

I dont know for sure if toyota wil use a Cat engine but i have read it in a few articles that it is a possibility

Honestly i think if they do it would be a smart move on their part but thats just me
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    they all use others diesels....Ford and Gm have several 3/4 and 1 ton models with Gas engines.

Very poor comeback to why Toy doesn't have a 3/4....

- Tim
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Posts: 279
    I wish I had more particulars on the newer Tundra but don't. My information comes straight from Japan though. One of our fire dept. mechanics left us many years ago and went to Japan to work for Toyota in a corporate position. He was an old Navy guy and fell in love with the place I guess. I was fortunate enough to hear from him last week by chance. He told me that Toyota would be introducing a bigger truck by the year 2005, this was at least what they are planning. I suppose things change, but unofficially this is what he knows.

He couldn't give me any details though. True Toyota fashion to not leak out too many things, understandably so. I have no reason to doubt what he says. I told him I was waiting for the 03's to come out and would like to step into one. I'm not really too up to snuff on the rumors going around here in the U.S. about a possible bigger Tundra in near future. 3/4 ton, diesel, full cab ??? all these things are possible, so is a full ton I suppose, who knows.

I think there's plenty and plenty of us who could benefit from Toyota stepping up and truly making a full size work truck. Otherwise Toyota is ruled out, not necessarily due to performance issues, but simply a lack of product period. I believe the current top of line Tundra is as powerful a truck as they have. Certainly not adequate enough to match up against some of the other beasts out there.

I don't believe there has ever been any formal announcement from Toyota but not sure. I know they've thrown out some ideas at some of the bigger auto shows. Maybe someone else who follows a little closer might know. If I come across any interesting articles, i'll post them.

Cheers
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    Year to date until the end of April for the Tundra is 32,162 units. For the same period in 2001 the Tundra had 29,981. That is 2181 units above the same time last year. That is a 6.78% increase over April of last year.

The Silverado on the otherhand had 220,748 sold YTD til April and 221,662 for 2001. That is 914 units below the same time last year. That is a 0.414% decline over last year.
    Because alot of us already have trucks and arent trading them in to buy new ones.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    What are you waiting for? John Elway will make you a peach of deal on a 2002 lemon tundra, all the goodies...luxurious rubber steering wheel, class leading drum brakes, powerful ferret horn.

Toyotathon!
  • twowheelertwowheeler Posts: 89
    FYI - The horns in the '02s are duel, domestic sounding horns. That is, they aren't peashooters.
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    Thank you for your reply to my questions. I appreciate your honesty.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.