Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tundra Problems

Comments

• davecrook1davecrook1 Posts: 13
    Just took delivery a week ago and only have about 40 miles on it but have noticed an apparent front end noise when cold. Very faint but distinct rubbing/grinding for first 5 miles after cold startup-sounds like it's coming from left front end. Anybody have any ideas. It's a 2002 Access Cab V8 4wd.
  • h0udinih0udini Posts: 118
    The public did vote with their pocketbooks, and they elected Ford!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    When that big one finally cracks, and the Pacific tectonic plate separates from the North American tectonic plate, the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia will be an atoll in the pacific, and John Elway Toyota will have a new address on US 1.

You'll be glad you weren't there.
  • qzs4vbqzs4vb Posts: 14
    Hey Houdini.....wheres those facts? I'm going on vacation for a week in a few minutes so I'm really looking forward to some more baseless rhetoric to laugh at before I go. Well hey if I miss ya than you have a week to come up with something. I'll check back after Memorial Day...you think real hard till then.

Another quote from the not so great houdini: "I say let the product speak for itself."

It does pal, thats why General Motors sells more full-size pick-up trucks than any other manufacturer. No re-read that real slow Houdini, I said General Motors, not GMC.
    If GM is king of heavy duty pick-ups, why haven't they offered a decent diesel for the last decade or two? And NO, their knocking gassers do not qualify as diesels! GM and people like you talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. But you sure have that knocking thing down...

You say the Duramax is going to beat everything else, huh? Did Miss Cleo tell you that, LOL?! Fine, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how irrational, but whose been offering real diesel trucks to the American public the last decade or so? Not GM. They tried, couldn't get it right then swallowed their pride and enlisted Isuzu's help. Maybe it's time for you to swallow your pride too.

I post facts, but you don't acknowldege them. Please tell me again how great your 5.3 is, making a whopping 10 lb/ft torque at a higher RPM than Toyota's 4.7. Better yet, compare your 4.8 to the Toyota and tell me how great it is. Still better yet, tell me how great the GM diesels were.

Here's a disturbing fact: It's obvious you have an irrational bias against "Japanese" trucks, yet your beloved Chevy Duramax diesel has its roots and underpinnings in Isuzu. How does that make any sense?

Basically, you have a disdain for Japanese products, unless they're being utilized in GM products, at which time you promptly do a 180 and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Read this: WISHY-WASHY.

Oh, and I apologize for ruining your vacation with these disturbing thoughts, but to be honest, you kind of brought it out upon yourself...
    Like I said before, you're just not very smart.

Must I again repeat myself, I guess so. The Duramax Diesel is produced at GM Powertrain in Moraine, Ohio. A plant that is jointly owned by GM and Isuzu. Yes the engine was jointly developed by GM and Isuzu. GM has a part ownership in Isuzu and partners with them in various projects. Why wouldn't GM use all of thier resources? Isuzu has a proven expertise in diesel engines and that is why they have been involved. For you to say that the Duramax is not a GM engine is just plain wrong.

"You say the Duramax is going to beat everything else, huh?"

Thats not what I said, this is what I said:
    "The Duramax diesel is a world class engine that has set the new standard for power, durability and low noise levels in diesel truck engines." That is fact, not my opinion. Check Wards automotive who recently put it in the Top Ten engines in the world. That by the way is a magazine highly respected in the automotive industry magazine.

"Basically, you have an irrational disdain for Japanese products, unless they're being utilized in GM products, at which time you promptly do a 180 and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Read this: WISHY-WASHY."

You don't speaky zee english very well. Read slower and mouth the words. You seem to get everything twisted around.

And thanks for the last laugh, it was a good one.
    Like I said before, you're just not very smart.

Must I again repeat myself, I guess so. The Duramax Diesel is produced at GM Powertrain in Moraine, Ohio. A plant that is jointly owned by GM and Isuzu. Yes the engine was jointly developed by GM and Isuzu. GM has a part ownership in Isuzu and partners with them in various projects. Why wouldn't GM use all of thier resources? Isuzu has a proven expertise in diesel engines and that is why they have been involved. For you to say that the Duramax is not a GM engine is just plain wrong.

"You say the Duramax is going to beat everything else, huh?"

Thats not what I said, this is what I said:
    "The Duramax diesel is a world class engine that has set the new standard for power, durability and low noise levels in diesel truck engines." That is fact, not my opinion. Check Wards automotive who recently put it in the Top Ten engines in the world. That by the way is a magazine highly respected in the automotive industry magazine.

"Basically, you have an irrational disdain for Japanese products, unless they're being utilized in GM products, at which time you promptly do a 180 and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Read this: WISHY-WASHY."

You don't speaky zee english very well. Read slower and mouth the words. You seem to get everything twisted around.

And thanks for the last laugh, it was a good one.
    If Isuzu wasn't part of conglomerate GM, and it introduced a full-size truck with an Isuzu engine, I bet you would be making the same stink as you do with the Tundra.

Impressive, eh? Puts Miss Cleo to shame...

BTW, great double post!
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Remember... the discussion is the trucks, NOT each other!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• kcowboykcowboy Posts: 33
    ma'am, I mean qzs4vb. You need to do some more research before you open mouth. In post#45 you stated gm trucks are the biggest sellers out of all manufacturers. What a total joke! pal. The Ford F150 is the top seller in not only pick-ups but all vehicles, that is the cold hard truth. The gm pick-up is not even in the picture. Research it,Read it and WEEP. Bye the way why are you posting in a Tundra problem thread which the only problems I really see our disgruntled gm owners posting here. I think you would learn more if you stayed in the gm threads and possibly assist and help identify their numerous problems, but then again that would probably make too much sense.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    GM full sized trucks: 284,632

Ford F series trucks: 270,184

Source:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

• bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    You are confused. GM is a manufacturer, not a brand.

The Ford F series is a brand. Sort of like the Chevy Shakerado that it easily outsells (by more than 50,000 trucks). Nice try though.
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    I really thought our host was serious, BUT I guess he was just kidding when he posted the following in the "Chevy Silverado-Continued XVIII" topic.......

"6373 of 6405 Guys by pf_flyer HOST May 14, 2002 (04:30 am)
    This is stopping NOW...

If you need to post insulting nicknames for the other guys truck to make your point, you need to find another way to make your point or take it someplace else.

Notes making reference to Lemonado, Tindra, Shakerado, etc... are not approriate.

Disagree all you want about the trucks, but keep it civil."

I guess he must have just been kidding around, since your last post says........

"#53 of 53 Oby by bamatundra May 17, 2002 (11:19 am)
    You are confused. GM is a manufacturer, not a brand.

The Ford F series is a brand. Sort of like the Chevy Shakerado that it easily outsells (by more than 50,000 trucks). Nice try though."

Did you just make a little mistake typing the word SHAKERADO in that post, or did you intend to type that? Maybe our host will step in and tell us whether he really meant what he has said as he was closing what, 7? 8??, topics in the last couple of days.

What about it PF.....did you mean what you said, or not?

Tom
    still with us! Whew, I was getting worried there...

obyone, you seem like a smart guy, why don't you help out these folks with their Tundra problems? What's that you say? Nobody is posting Tundra problems? My point exactly!
    I am sorry. You are obviously being ignored by the Tundra owners because they can't believe anyone would actually have a problem, no matter how small, with their Tundra.

Please forgive the rudeness of our not even acknowledging your post.....

"#42 of 55 New Tundra-front end noise by davecrook1 May 17, 2002 (09:00 am)
    Just took delivery a week ago and only have about 40 miles on it but have noticed an apparent front end noise when cold. Very faint but distinct rubbing/grinding for first 5 miles after cold startup-sounds like it's coming from left front end. Anybody have any ideas. It's a 2002 Access Cab V8 4wd."

I would suspect front brake pads rubbing, but more information on the sound would help. Any other ideas out there????

Tom
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Posts: 279
    Since you're the only one in here who seems to have posted according to the topic lol ... in regards to post 42 ... Im not sure how familiar you are with engines and related components, but does this sound like cold start knock possibly. Is it necessarily isolated to engine, or possibly in drive train, steering/suspension assemblies ??? Kind of a downer to have barely driven a truck home and have a strange noise already. Any thoughts on your part ??? Does noise go away/lessen when engine has sat a while, and is restarted in warmer weather ???
    Aren't you just a little confused? PF Flyer wrote this at the start of THIS topic:

"But be forewarned... this will NOT be a place to argue about Brand X is better or worse than Brand Y.

It's time to show a little self control folks...

I'll also link this discussion to the Toyota Owners Clubs message boards... "

It seems that you and other GM truck owners conveniently forgot.

By the way - I'm sorry that I called your knocking GMs "Shakerados". Please accept my apology.

As far as someone answering Dave's post - did you consider this: No one knew an answer and therefore did not post. Geez! - You sure are being sensitive.

May I make a helpful suggestion: If you and the myriad of GM owners posting about your HUGE trucks to a Tundra problems topic want to avoid getting your feelings hurt - you might try posting to GM topics instead.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I'm TRYING to not have anyone disappear here... but I'm not getting much help.

Let's see if we can make it through the weekend without having to shoot anyone OK?

EVERYONE involved has made their points... REPEATEDLY.

Agree to disagree and move on without any parting shots please.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

I accept your knocking engine, bad rotor Tundra apology. We GM owners don't have many places to post anymore since you got them all shut down. LOL

I hope Mr. Davecrook1 doesn't have that dreaded Toyota cold start knock that losangelesemt mentioned in his post, but I don't believe he does since he said it was more of a "grinding" noise while driving the first 5 miles or so. Do you think it could be related to the BAD ROTOR problem that Tundra had repeatedly with their brakes? Do you think they could have gotten another bad batch? His truck is probably very recent production since it only has 40 miles on it. Unless it sat on a dealer lot for an extended period of time.
    Tom
    I'm shore am glad that we have this endless supply of GM owners to tell us how BAD we Tundra owners really have it. I'm shore glad that Tom is doing it as a labor of love. IF Tom didn't tell me how horrible my Tundra was, I would think it was perfect - other than weak seatbelt retractors.

Man!, I'm glad that we have Tom here to tell me about my non-existent knocking engine and brake problems.

Tom - I'm sure that according to the GM owners in this topic (you included) poor Davecrook's engine is about to fall out since he hears a noise from his front end. Do you expect anyone other than unfortunate GM owners to believe this tripe?

Don't you GM owners have anything better to do - like write letters to the BBB for your buybacks?

Tom - You yourself admitted that your GM is knocking - shouldn't you be posting to the GM knockers group?

I hope this post helps you. Good luck on this one now!
This discussion has been closed.