Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

audiwoesaudiwoes Posts: 1
Sorry, I meant to type "their".
I purchased a new Audi A6 in 2000. Since then we have gone through 3 sets of breaks, the check engine light has been on several times, the gas mechanism recall item, replaced tie rod ends, static in the left front door speaker, temperature gauge was fixed, and the car is constantly drinking oil. We have to put in at least 2 quarts of oil between the scheduled oil changes. Once the low pressure light went on. It's not leaking, as there isn't any spots - but it's burning it. The garage told us it was normal to burn 1 quart every 1,500 miles. I never had a car that burned oil at this rate. Most cars I've owed, I've never had to put oil in in-between the changes. And now, it's shifting hard. It's under warranty for another 11,000 miles - but I'm afraid to keep the car beyond that time. Anyone else having troubles?
Tagged:

Comments

• leander14leander14 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 A4 sedan and experienced many of the same problems that you're having with the newer model. The check engine light, gas and temperature gauges stopped being a nuisance after several months. The oil scenario kept up for quite a while and the radio has been replaced on three separate occasions to no avail. Seemingly, the car does not like classical music stations --that's when the weird static kicks in.
  • campscamps Posts: 12
    I have an Audi A6 1998 model and every time I take my foot off the accelerator to slow down, the car bucks. It is an uncomfortable feeling and I never noticed it before. I had it serviced but to no avail. Has any one ever experienced this problem and if so could some one explain how this problem could be remedied. Thanks.

Camps
  • pat54pat54 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 A6. I've recently had noise in the front left of my car. Two repair shops couldn't find the problem. I was wondering what kind of symptoms your tie rods had, prior to replacement.

By the way, based on my experience, I would not keep an A6 if it was out of warranty.
  • cubanaudicubanaudi Posts: 17
    I too have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. The only problems I have had with mine is a shorted out cooling fan which was fixed, and my check engine light was come in twice. Once it was for a faulty accelerator pedal sensor, and the other time it was due to a problem with the cooling system. Both times they were promptly fixed by the dealer with no issues. My radio antenna was disconnected and it wouldn't pick up any AM radio, but that was also taken care of. Other than that, the only other problems I have had are that at some point, both front windows have come off their tracks, and have had to be fixed by the dealer. But I have not had any strange noises, and am completely in love with my car. It is a great car. I have had both Mercedes's and BMW's, and had similar experiences with them. I find these to be minor problems that you will have with any car. And as for not having an A6 out of warranty, I wouldn't have any of these cars out of warranty. The repair costs on any of these cars is outrageous.
  • datsun2datsun2 Posts: 5
    My 99 A6 Quattro is also always in the shop. Recently my car did the same bucking action then the engine light came on. The car is right now in the shop having its throttle replaced. The techs say there is a mercury switch in the throttle that goes bad.

I think I'm done with this car; even though I love the ride.
  • cooper18cooper18 Posts: 2
    60 K service and first brake service needed - rotors not scored but cupped? Original set of pads...seems reasonable one set of pads per set of rotors!
    and at the time for $1100 they will retrofit the new and improved injectors...no thanks.
    65K new water pump a deal at $110, oh and the$550 labor...by the way you have a massive leak in the valve train....$900 no thanks....time to share this car on the lease return. Done with this brand...too bad because I really liked this car...now the shop seems to be developing an affinity for it.
  • yash1yash1 Posts: 1
    Help on two items,
    1= fair price to install two outer cv boots,and
    2= any time of year in temperatures varing from
    - 0 to + 95 and time intervals from daily to once a month there is a smell very similar to burning parafin wax, this has been happening for 18 months or more.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Axle shaft (front), R&R:
    1995-99 A4, A4 Quattro, A6, A6 Quattro, 90, 90 Quattro
    Std trans
    one side.... 1.3
    both sides.. 2.4
    Auto trans
    one side.... 1.8
    both sides.. 3.4

Add:
    Boot, replace
    1978-99
    one (inner or outer).... .6
    both (one side)......... .9

Axle shaft (rear), R&R:
    1997-99
    A4 Quattro, A6 Quattro.. 1.8

Add:
    Boot, replace
    one (inner or outer).... .5
    both (one side)......... .8
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    "lemon lawed" vehicles in the Nation, unfortunately. I like the cars, they're just rolling trouble.
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    I'm at 4375 miles on my 2002 A6 4.2 and have loved it so far. But then came today. The entire audio system went out -- radio, CD player, OnStar Telematics system, phone. It's Tuesday night, Audi cannot give me a shop appointment until Friday, and I was planning on leaving this weekend for a driving trip from Connecticut to Georgia.

Given my planned trip, I would have hoped the dealer would have agreed to look at the problem sooner, in case parts have to be ordered. My tough luck. They got their $55,000 for the car. Why would they care about my problems?

I got rid of a 2000 Jaguar because of chronic electronic gremlins. Looks like the Audi is headed for the same junk heap. Caveat emptor.
  • agvnutagvnut Posts: 2
    My 99 A6 started giving a grinding noise 2 weeks ago - noise came from the front of the car when making a right turn. A week later it happened in left turns too. Got the car back from dealer today - first they replaced right CV joint, to no avail. Then they replaced left-front inner wheel bearing - problem solved.
  • agvnutagvnut Posts: 2
    My 99 A6 does this too, at high speed 50+ MPH) when I let-off the gas slightly the tranny (quattro) acts like it wants to downshift, but it doesn't. It's really annoying when cruise control is on and traveling on a level surface.
  • hall42hall42 Posts: 12
    could someone please give me some advice as to what to do with my brand new lemon A6...

Thanks!!
  • I have 2002 A6 CVT. I liked this car until recently I drove at night and suddenly lost all my interior lights, power windows, power sits and power locks controls.

I bring my car to dealership ( "Audi of Huntington Valley" in Philadelphia) and 4 days they are trying(?...) to determine what the problem is.

Is somebody had any electrical problems in Audi 2002?
    What state are you in?

A6cvt - please contact me offline at fiftycalsniper@yahoo.com.
    I'm in Illinois

Right now I have a case number with Audi and I guess this is Audi's initial dispute resolution mechanism. I have read cases about the Magnuson-Moss Act but I don't know if I could win. I don't understand what exactly this act is all about. Is this the step after the lemon law? Even if they give me a new car I am not going to be happy with the situation. A new car plus some monetary compensation...would be better. Help!!!

By the way, I had the car for two weeks when this all happened. 2002 A6 CVT

Thanks in advance.
    usually shadows each state's lemon law. Each state's lemon law has mileage, time and visit frequency requirements. Mag-Moss is set up around "warranty of merchantability" and is more lenient towards vehicles with mileages over 12-18,000.

Neither statute allows for a new car AND monetary compensation. There are no allowances for irritation, inconvenience, etc - recoveries are usually limited to the value of the vehicle, with respect to the severity of the case (4 transmissions in 20,000 miles is worth a bunch more than a persistent rattle in the dash or problem with the stereo).

If Audi doesn't step up, and quickly (within 30 days or so), they aren't going to do anything for you and don't believe it when they say they're "looking into it" for you. Contact an attorney in your state - you can go to www.lemonlaw.com and look up folks in Illinois. I know there's a lemon law practicing lawfirm in Chicago. Good luck.
    Thank you!! I'll keep you all posted.
  • mbasilmbasil Posts: 2
    I haven't had any problems other than tearing off the front bumper a couple of times. But Audi assures me it's my error, pulling into parking places with cement bumpers and not stopping several feet behind them...
  • nairb2nairb2 Posts: 9
    Just had my first "out of warranty" service. Thought I was bringing in in for an oil change and ended up with a $950 repair bill. New rear brake pads and rotors, new tie rods, alignment, and a new tire. I've had it with this car with all the recalls, gas gauge problems etc. Time to go back to a Honda. I've had 2 of them and never had any of these problems.
    get a good private German car shop.
  • ylwmanylwman Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 a6, the brakes started to squeak at 15000 miles..i took it in and they polished the brake pads...still squeaked...brought it back in...dealer service said the right rear brake pad disentegrated..they replaced pad and had to polish the rotor because of the damage from braking with no pad...i asked for them to replace the rotor..dealer said no...brake pad went out early because of my driving...audi refuses also...what can i do...this is bs..i dont drive or brake hard..and how does one brake pad go out and not the other one thats on the same side if it is my driving?..
    ask them to explain how they determined your driving caused the rear pad to disintegrate at 15,000 miles...

Remember, be nice. I add that only because as a former service manager, when people came into the service dept screaming and ranting, I shut them down. Regardless of what you feel you're owed, the dealer doesn't warranty the parts on your car, Audi does. Also, they lose money by doing warranty work and the techs hate it - sitting down with the service manager may shed light on the issue.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    I've seen pads crack, too, but it's rare.

The dealer won't replace the rotor because it is still in spec and the factory will not re-imburse him for it. So he doesn't want to eat it if he has to pay for it.

The problem here is not the rotor, which is probably fine, but to find out what caused the problem.

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    No, they do not. They just don't make as much profit as if they were doing customer pay work.
    at the end of the day, they lose money. While doing massive warranty work where their technicians get paid 60% of retail, parts makes 20% instead of 50% and the department misses out on retail work. Yes, that's life and part of the deal, but warranty work is "break even" at best, and usually loses money.

Give the department 3-4 hard core whiner customers with 20 item repair orders to repair nitnoid stuff, and you lose technicians, too.
  • I just bought a 2003 A6 with CVT. After 2 days, both my rear windows won't roll up or down. I tried the driver side controls along with the rear window controls. I took a day off of work to drive 2 hours to the nearest Audi dealer in Scottsdale, AZ. OK, get this, the loaner cars are Acura Integras...hmmm, I guess Honda cars are more reliable than Audi's. If i would have known about the loaner policy, then that more than likely would have turned me off of the purchase. I was debating between the A6 and the 2003 ES300, the prices and equipment were comparable, but the looks and power were noticeably different. At least, the Japanese makers offer a good loaner vehicle. I'm having to drive around a 2001 Integra with cloth and smells of smoke...total BS!!! Geeeeeeze! I'm so disappointed with this problem because I love the looks and drive of the vehicle. I heard horror stories about German car reliability, but I was hoping for the best because I love the A6 so much. Hopefully, this will be the only problem I will have, but I'll post again after I get my vehicle back in the next few days. Wish me luck.
    Most manufacturers offer NO loaner program. The majority of Americans would love to drive a 2001 Integra than the "shoe leather express".

Quit ranting about the Acura - it's reliable. The rants about the Audi are deserved. Good luck.
    You're bordering on manufacturer/dealer issues. The manufacturer was buying your car back, the dealer was going to have to do all the work - the dealer gets raped by having to give away an A6 - I can't blame them - it ain't happening.
    they would have wanted me to turn around and buy another car from them. Therefore, they not only lost out on one sale but numerous. At 24 years old, I have alot more cars to buy as do my relatives, friends, co-workers, etc. I do blame them; I am confident that they knew the car had problems when they sold it to me.