Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jodarjodar Posts: 51
    I'd make sure that any and all transmission related service was performed before I start raising Cain about your problem. Also, I'd check alldata.com, or nhtsa for any recalls or technical service bulletin's for your model year.

After all your research proves you to be blameless, I would try shaming them by threatening to go public. Call your local call-for-action agency or other consumer protection firm and tell them about your problem. Make sure you've documented with whom you've spoken with and what was the offical response. Better to get it all in writing if it were me. In the end, what company wants bad press?
  • rking5150rking5150 Posts: 2
    Thanks. All services have been performed on my car, so that's not an issue. I've told Audi I won't buy another Audi. My service advisor told me that it is pretty tough to get money from Audi customer service, so I really don't think I'm going to have any luck no matter what I do. I guess I'm just better off paying AAMCO to fix my tranny and never spending another dime on VW-AUDI ever again.

If anyone wants a crushed model R8, check some landfills in the DC area!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,633
    Try a reccommended independant instead of a chain.
  • steveaudisteveaudi Posts: 1
    As some may know the Xenon headlights on the A6 adjust up or down in response to the level of the vehicle. Does anyone know what the cause might be for the lights to move to the lowest possible position and stay there? Sometimes I can get them to return to the proper elevation by turning the light switch on and off.
  • duffy4duffy4 Posts: 18
    I have had my new A6 for 2 weeks and the advance key no longer works. Has this happened to any of you?
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    Are you stepping on the brake when you push the button?
    Yes, I am stepping on the brake. After your note I went out and tryed to start it again, this time stomping on the brake. No luck
  • peppertpeppert Posts: 4
    Advanced key quit on me, also. I have 600 miles on my 2005 A6. After using the car key in the ignition for several days, the advanced key started working again. In my case, I believe my dog jumped into the front seat and put big paws on the start and stop buttons.

Susan

PS I have an enormous clunk coming from the rear, underneath the back of the car sometimes. I wish I knew what it was.
  • ouchiea6ouchiea6 Posts: 2
    See Response #369, I am still waiting to get my Audi A6 out of service after 3 weeks. My smart key wouldn't start the car, so I tried the traditional key. It didn't work either. My Audi refused to let go of the traditional key on top of that. Has anyone else had this type of problem? It took over two weeks to get the same replacement part (a steering column), so I assume this must be happening to more people than just me. :sick:
  • 05a6fl05a6fl Posts: 4
    I have an 05 A6 and less than 1000 miles. So far so good and none of the major issues other forum members seem to have. I do have a few items though.
    (1) Smart key does not work. Even at delivery, the dealership could not get it to work. They advised me to let it settle for 20 minutes and then try again. I will be taking it back to get it looked at, but fear the steering column will need to be replaced per other members' problems! The off switch is great, but the start button refuses. I put my foot on the brake and still it fails.
    (2) The CD player. I believe that the CD player display should tell you the name of the CD and list all the tracks by name- just like Microsoft media player or all the other software players you can use on your CD. Surely you don't have to use the title function to individually name each CD and track? My dealer tells me I do
    (3) Apart from that, a classy car, sound engineering, top-end coach work and she drives like a dream- (once you can start her).
    Cheers!
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    The CD player only shows text on Text-enabled CD's, which are still a rarity. Windows uses the internet to look up music titles, something your A6 can't do. You can burn CD's on your computer and it will show up on the MMI (if you burn with text enabled...its a box you have to check on most programs). Otherwise, your dealer is correct, you have to manually enter the CD titles...

Glad you're also enjoying the car...
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    My sirius radio cuts out when I go under an overpass or a tree. Does anyone else have this problem?

Kevin
  • a6woesa6woes Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 A6 2.8 L that has just under 36k miles. I had it in the shop the other day, and the mechanic told me that I was leaking oil from the cam seals. I've had my share of electrical problems under warranty with various systems (alarm system, airbags, seatbelts, ...), but now I timed out of my factory warranty. Not to mention damaging the flimsy front bumper assembly and fixing it for $1k. Anyway, from what the dealer told me and some of the info in this forum, the cam seal leakage problem sounds like a relatively common problem. The Audi dealer even noted that it was not uncommon and also noted that once they fix it, it usually holds up for a long time. Is this a factory flaw or poor quality? What's the expected life of the cam seals? Audi customer service says that they never heard of this being an issue. Am I missing something, or are they just BSing me. I guess I'm collecting anyone's input for my discussions with Audi customer service. So far, they've been blaming me for my poor maintenance for the cam seal leakage. Somehow doing my own oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles is too abusive for my A6.

Are my expectations too high for a car in this price range to go relatively problem free < 50k? I've had/have a number of different marks including VW, Acura/Honda, Nissan, BMW, and Porsche, but my A6 is the least reliable of the bunch, independant of price range. In fact outside of the typical maintenance that I take care of myself, I not had any reliability issue with any past car (except of course for my '76 Granada 20 years ago). Does my experience sound pretty typical for a Audi. :lemon: Anyone?
    Happens to me all the time under an overpass or even where there are tall trees overshadowing the street. Really annoying I must admit.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I have a 2000 A6 w/77,000 miles, same cam seal and valve cover leakage issue. Audi sevice advisors have mentioned that many of the Audi engines need these repairs by 50,000 miles.(of course, just as the factory warranty ends!) I wouldn't drive one w/o a trusted independent mechanic that understands the Audi, takes VISA, and a legitimate extended service plan like Western National, (which covers this problem). 800.722.4758.

BTW, that repair is a $1500 operation at the dealer. About $85.00 for the gaskets and $1400 for the labor!
  • dplushdplush Posts: 9
    First, love my Audis and have not had any problems to date. Just wondering what we thought about this article...have people been noticing quality improvements

Audi's work on quality paying off; automaker sees JD Power study ...
    Kevin, this does happen and here's why. The Sirius service, just like XM is brought to you by two methods (1) Satellite and (2) Terrestrial.
    Satellites are very expensive and you can't fill the sky with them. So what XM and Sirius do is supplement the satellite service with some ground or terrestrial repeaters. Radio towers are also very expensive to erect, equip and operate. So, given the above, in most cases you will either have direct line of site to a satellite or indirect coverage from a repeater. Since the repeaters are few and far between, and a view to the sky is not always possible, you will generally lose signal when you go into a covered parking lot or are in heavy foliage. We are all used to AM and FM that is brought to us by 10 mega watt transmitters on 1000 foot masts that give signal everywhere.
    In general, satellite radio works very well, and because we paid north of $300 for our receivers and over $10 a month for listening, we will complain about the times we loose signal.

This will not solve your problem, but I hope it helps you understand we are fighting against the law of physics, the law of economics and the law in general that says thou shalt not litter the land with ugly cellular towers, radio masts, etc. This is thus not an Audi issue.
    I have used many PC-based CD players that do not call the internet for CD title info, and it displays the name of the CD and the track title, just by reading the data from the CD. Windows Media player is just one example that I have used, disconnected form the net. I believe, according to the instruction manual, I do not need to punch this info in for each CD, it shows that I can select "display title info" in the Audi MMI set up, but it does not do it.
    Thanks for your input, but I'd like to hear form other users what their CD experience is like.
    You can talk to whomever you wish. The fact remains that the CD's for the A6 need to have CD text enabling on them. We have discussed this extensively on AW in the forums there as well. This is something most current CD's don't have (you have to look at the cover when you buy the CD). Sorry you don't like my answer but that doesn't make it any less correct.

On the Real player, it is listed as a check box under edit options as "write CD text to my audio cd". I don't use the windows media player much, but I believe the box under recording options listed "burn playlists as M3U" does the trick. Try it...I did and it worked.
    We had the same problem on our 2001 a6 2.8/. We had only 35k miles. Luckily,we were two days within warranty. I believe this is a known problem with the 2,.8 egine
  • jorgetujorgetu Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T and one day the sunroof opened all the way but when I tried to close it it wouldn't close all the way. It just goes a quarter of the way and then stops. I can open it again all the way but it won't close more than a quarter.
    Has anyone had the same problem? Is there a way to fix it without taking it to the dealer?

I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have!!
  • bubasupbubasup Posts: 2
    went to look at a 1995 audi a6 quattro. looked and ran pretty good. one problem though was a huge puddle of water behind the driver's side seat and the area around the sunroof wasn't wet. so i cant think of what it might be.

if anyone knows of problems with leaks or what it might be i would greatly appreciate it.
    I just got my old lease detailed today. It looks awesome. Black w/ Black. The only problem I don't know what to do about is the Engine Check Light is staying on. The car has 51,000 miles. Is this a thing that happens at a particular mileage or is there some way I can shut the light off before I turn it back in to Audi? Any help would be appreciated. Is there a fuse I could pull out before they inspect it?
  • auditechauditech Posts: 16
    the sunroof switch IS a potentiometer - they go bad - replace it.
    I just broke 1,000 miles last night. Today, my Advanced Key won't start the car (at all). The engine stop button works fine. I noticed a few other posts regarding this problem. What did they do to fix your problem? Did it keep your car in the shop for more than a day?
    What did you do to resolve this problem. I am having problems with Advanced Key too. It won't start.
    I have been just driving without it until my 5000 mile oil change. They told me they needed to deal with Audi in germany (even though they knew how to fix it) on all cars within 6 months of delivery and they would need it for a few days---loaner car, etc.

On a different note, I just ordered the newiest Sony Erickson phone recommended by Audi to use the blue tooth and the $250 cradle. The Magnivox phone lent to me by the Cingular store only worked some of the time. Apparently Verizon does not work unless you go for those smart phones--no thanks
    Well, mine goes into the shop tomorrow to fix the advanced key problem. They told me they haven't had a problem with one yet. I wouldn't wait for 5,000 miles...I paid for it and I want it to work now. If they have to get me a rental car for a day or a week, either way, it will be fixed. I don't buy that story about dealing with Audi in Germany. If that's the case, get rid of mine and get me a new car. I am wondering if this happened to yours and mine, I wonder if there are a lot of people with the same thing happening. I'll let you know what happens.
    My 05 A6 is 1300 miles old and the smart key has never worked. I will be asking for a refund on the advance key if they do not fix it when I have my first 5000 service. Please let us know how it went with the service you will have Tuesday.

It will be me that speaks to Germany, not my dealer if they give me the wrong answer. Good luck!

:D
    Its true. The new emphasis of the Audi execs on improving quality requires all new car incidents to be reported to a group of Audi engineers to look for trends and try to improve quality. When I turned my car in for a cam seal leak, it was reported to the "higher powers" in Germany for FYI status to look for trends in other cars. I wouldn't be upset about it...I would appreciate the emphasis on improving the quality of these cars.