Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I have had my 2005 A6 4.2 for nearly 2 weeks with no tip lag.

Kevin
  • I have a Feb 2004 A6 Avant 1.9 TDI with the multitronic gearbox. The gearbox was replaced at about 14000 miles after an electronic problem (Checksum Error). The second box has the intermitant violent jerks you describe when coming to a halt. It sometimes stalls when cold when shifting from reverse to drive. Audi claim to have diagnosed the problem to a faulty valve but now have no stock of replacement parts. Anyone else had similar problems? This is a really frustrating problem with what is otherwise quite a nice vehicle.
  • kmad55kmad55 Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2005 A6 Quattro... Did you have any luck finding a phone? They sell a cradle but I thought if the car was bluetooth then I dont need to connect.....Like as if it's wireless.. You can email me direct at Kmad55@aol.com
  • chitown1chitown1 Posts: 8
    I know I have read a few posts on here regarding problems with the memory seat function. We have just started encountering this in our 2005 A6 3.2 (purch'd in December)when trying to adjust the seats by hitting the driver # on the door. Since we have advanced key we don't ever have the key in the ignition or use the remote to unlock the door so we always use the seat adjustment by pressing the button manually.

For others that have had a problem, what was the fix? We are taking the car to the dealership tomorrow and it would be helpful to know what fix others have used.
  • garth1garth1 Posts: 7
    My limited understanding would be that it could be a faulty valve or 'debris' in the oil which can give similar symptoms as 'bits' get stuck in the hydraulic valve or in the thin pipes in the gearbox. Audi generally take a view that if the oil is 'contaminated' then they replace the whole box - you should probably push for this (again)as I understand that once there is debris in the box it is very difficult to get it out.

What Audi don't tell you when they explain the beauty of CVT is that the gearbox has to be serviced every 40,000 miles (at some cost!)and the cleaning of the inside and condition of the oil is vital to the continued health of the box!
  • mcginnismcginnis Posts: 1
    Don't feel bad, I bought a new A6 that now has 18000 and has spent over 100 days in the shop. We have had a hesitation problem. They put all new coils in and that didn't fix it and two transmissions. We have gone the Audi meditation route and contacted our att. gen. and all they feel they should do is continue TRYING to fix it. The car has been unsafe and we have wanted it replaced or bought back by Audi. Our dealership Star Motors has tried to be helpful but has no more power than us. LAST AUDI
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I have Verizon and am using the Motorola V 710. The difficulty is that Verizon service does not support all of the Bluetooth's capabilities. I am unable to download my address book, the car's signal strength meter does not work, the car can not recall the last numbered dialed. I am able to make calls through the car's MMI. The rumor is that Verizon is considering fully supporting Bluetooth in the near future. I am also told that Audi has a cradle for the 710 in the planning phase.
  • john56john56 Posts: 8
    Recently had my '01 A6 Avant in for 50K checkup. Nothing noted in checks except for 2 bent wheels. Wanted 500 per wheel plus mount balance etc. Found same style wheel by an approved Audi Germany vendor on TireRack.com for $89 each on sale, had Kumho performance all seasons mounted and balanced and delivered for less than $800 with new PIAA wipers all around too.

Now the problem - still have a small shimmy at about 70+ mph and it seems to be in the rear. Could this be an alignment issue? Or is it possible that they misbalanced one wheel?

Also, left rear brake is making a grinding noise at low stopping speeds. Just started. Seems like there is plenty of pad. Anyone have ideas on cause and solutions?

Thanks
    John
    Rochester, NY
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Generally, when sitting in the seat, you need to push and HOLD the button until the seat reaches the set position. If not sitting in the car, just push the button once and the seat will go to its set position.

At least that's how I remember the manual stating it...
  • chitown1chitown1 Posts: 8
    Yes - push and hold - seats adjust first and then mirrors. Right now pushing and holding results in no movement. I guess we will see what the dealer comes up with...
  • jodarjodar Posts: 51
    John, I had the same problem with my 01 Avant. The dealer claimed to have found nothing after claiming to have performed a variety of road tests. Four tires were replaced, along with front brakes and rotors..still no change.

I suspected the wheel bearings were off based on previous posts. I went to three different independent shops, until I found one that performed a Hunter Road Force Test. My suspicions were confirmed. My extended warranty paid for everything minus my deductible and my Audi is running perfectly again. So have that test done provided you've eliminated the wheel balancing, alignment and brake issues.
    Thanks for the input. I just called an ind. shop today and have set up for Friday for a full check. Delaware Tire in Newark, DE. Have worked with them before and they are first rate both in performance and fair cost. Car was just at the dealer for the checkup and everything was OK according to them. Unfortunately, this is on my dime as I was over the warranty period anyway.

Holtz Audi in Rochester, NY did 50K check - bill was about 230 which was mostely labor and included an oil change.

John
  • jodarjodar Posts: 51
    For the same problems I have posted and from having similar experiences from what you have posted, I totally despise my Audi dealership (Alex VA) and will probably never go back there for service, if I can help it. But at least the extended warranty is a big cushion. I don't have any drivability issues as of this posting (56k). The car runs like a charm and, overall, I am very satisfied with its performance.

At least I can do my own oil change and save $120 that the dealer charges. I pay about $45 to do it myself using Mobil 0w40 (7 qts), plus $10 for the K&N Filter. I'm tempted to get a genuine Audi/VW filter, for the next change, because it seems to have a longer service life (30k), according to the labeling on it.
  • duffy4duffy4 Posts: 18
    I would like some input on my dilemma. I have owned 3 A6s, with no problems and would like to move up.I know this is the first year with the new A6 and only the second with the A8. I also know next year the A8 will get a new front that will look like the rest of the line. The 4.2 A6 is about 55k with all the extras and the A8 is about 70k. Is it really worth the extra 15k? I do like the interior of the A8 better, and the little extra room would be nice for my kids---but it is so much $. Do you think the nose job change will affect resale values?

/
    Thanks for the comments, jodar. I will start to change my own oil as soon as I have a place to do it. The local Jiffy lube told me that they could not change due to no compatible oil. Find that hard to believe but will go to doing my own the next time around. Once the brakes are fixed and the shimmy is gone, I expect many miles of happy driving.
    Love the car - my friend with a Bimmer530 suggested the A6 over his. He was right. Better overall feel with only slightly less performance in the dry, tons more in the wet and snow.
    John
  • stockradstockrad Posts: 6
    I have an Audi A6 2005 4.2, and about 4500 miles into an otherwise great driving experience,I have started hearing squeaks everytime I go over a pothole. These seem to be coming from the rear. The dealer was unable to locate the origin. Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there a fix?

-Stockrad
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    I just bought my 05 A6 3.2 and was wondering if anyone has figured out the memory seat process. I am able to get the system to work if I utilize the numbers on the door, but can't seem to get it to synch up with the remote...Help!
    Locked caliper caused all of it. Needed new rotors, pads and one new caliper. Over 500. Expensive and just past warranty.
    Darn
    John
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    Anyone have first hand experience with the replacement of the serpentine belt on their A6? I have the 2001 2.7T -- very happy with it and the dealer. Coming up on four years and 60K miles. I was considering a trade this year (partially to avoid the high cost of the 60K maintenance) but I really enjoy the Audi.
  • john 206john 206 Posts: 4
    Yes, I took delivery of my 2005 A6 in December, and have occasionally experienced Tip Lag since day one. I have had the vehicle checked by three different Audi dealers, with no solution. I have also contacted Audi Customer Care center, again no help.

Currently, I have 6120 miles on the A6, and still get tip lag occasionally. The tip lag only occurs from a standing start and between 1 and 2 gear. If anyone finds the solution, please advise.