Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• patricklpatrickl Posts: 5
    I am looking at a certified pre-owned 2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro, 40,700miles, grey, bose system, for $24,924. I would appreciate any comments on whether this is a good buy. I have read about other bad experiences with this model year and would like to hear other comments. Am also considering a 2002 Volvo S60 for roughly the same price but 32000 miles. Thank you.
  • I use cingular service - chicagoland
  • I have a 1999 A6 that is also giving me similar issues. When I steer to the left a creeking-noise comes from the steering wheel. The only issue is this only happens when I turn to the left. The car is at the dealer and they have told me that the tie rods are loose?? Have either of the dealers you went to brought up anything like this?
  • jodarjodar Posts: 51
    I had a post that reported a similar steering wheel squeak. It was one of those annoying, intermittent squeaks that was hard to recreate and sounded like two separate pieces of plastic or vinyl rubbing together. Fortunately, the car was still in warranty and the dealer did some testing on it and determined it was within the steering wheel column, itself. Unfortunately, it wasn't a component that could be replaced. They had to replace the entire column at a cost of about $1600 or so. If your car is out of warranty, it will probably cost you at least that much, plus down time. As of this date, the problem has not reappeared. :)
  • duffy4duffy4 Posts: 18
    I just had to put in 2 quarts of oil in my wifes 2.8. About 6 months ago, all of the engine seals were replaced. It is only a 2001 with 38,000 miles. Is this the beginning of more problems? Are there known problems with the 2.8 engine?
  • I own an a6 and have experienced the same thing. Big cities are not much of a problem, but towns in the countryside are non-existant. Hope that Audi comes out with an update to their DVD. Regarding the Bluetooth cell, I have a Treo-650 and carrier is SPRINT. I had to download a whole new set of software (easy to do) from palm-one website for Sprint 650 to make it compatible with the audi. Now it works great!

Don't know of any other carriers or phones, but am very pleased with my set-up.
    :shades:
  • Has anyone heard if Audi is going to issue an update to the Navigation DVD soon?
    :confuse:
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    No....but the sure need to. I wonder who we can complain to that might prompt someone to do something?
  • Yes...although I've only been told tie rods and control arms in combination, never one or the other by itself.

I wound up replacing both tie rods, control arms, and CV boots (CV joints were salvaged, thank god). The way it was explained to me was as follows: the control arm is a closed mechanical apparatus that operates on a ball-and-socket principal. When the parts are manufactured, the socket is lubricated with a layer of silicon before the ball is added and the assemblage closed. The ball and socket move whenever the driver turns the wheel.

Because the control arm assemblage is closed, it is not possible to reach the joint for re-lubrication, and when the joint dries out it must be replaced at risk of cracking and loss of steering control. This 'drying-out' is what produces the squeaking (and eventually groaning if allowed to go long enough) noise as the metal ball and metal socket start rubbing together once the silicon layering is worn through.

I asked if these types of problems were the genesis of collisions/accidents/etc., or normal wear and tear. The Audi tech replied that while he couldn't peg it to mileage, he did at least two of these jobs per week-for whatever that is worth. :confuse:
  • rat3rat3 Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a 2001 A6 2.7T with 39,000 miles on it and wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on what extended warranty I should look into and do most cover the turbo?
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    This topic in Smart Shopper may be of interest to you.

Extended Warranties

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Most extended service plans will not cover the Audi twin turbo engine. Western National did cover my 2.7T and has stood behind it except for the latest incident where the "airbag" light stays on. They will not cover the $800 airbag replacement module repair.1.800.722.4758. Besides this, I would repurchase another plan from them.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    . . .today my 2003 allroad was at the dealer for the installation of a defective tire pressure monitor sensor.

Phone rings and my service advisor informs me that all four of my valve stem caps are corroded onto the valve stems.

Audi advantage to the rescue? Bzzzt! Wrong.

Audi valve caps (Audi brand) on Audi valve stems are warranted for 12 months.

Period.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    Update -- I appealed to Audi and they said, "sure" OK, no problem.

Wow.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    How much would the repair have cost, and who did you apeal to?

Other than your wife, that is. ;)

From your many dealings with Audi, do you have a contact established already, or did you just call some 800 number? I'm trying to figure out if we would all get this treatment, or if this was a "Mark special".
  • artaarta Posts: 1
    Patrick, I have a 2002 A6 with 40,000 miles. Aside from a few annoying recall issues, the car has been very good. Make sure that the transmission control module has been replaced. It changes the shift pattern, a great improvement from the original factory one. Also, the ignition coils should have been replaced. Both were recall items and covered. Other than that the only problem I have had was a few burned out bulbs, wiper blades, brake lite switch and brakes all around. All items covered by the Audi warranty..which covers EVERYTHING until 4 years or 50,000 miles. The quattro is a great system, I have never come close to being stuck in snow. Good luck, Art
  • patricklpatrickl Posts: 5
    Thank you, Art. I will certainly look into this. I am kinda wary about this model as Consumer Reports rates the A6 as a risky buy if bought used.
  • aanantaanant Posts: 1
    Same problem. Verizon does not support a software protocol to transfer address book. Change service and try again.
  • tabrizitabrizi Posts: 1
    I have just bought an A6 Quattro 2.7T. Both the haeater and the AC work fine on the climate control, but after about 15-20 minutes of continious use, the air vents start getting blocked gradually and stop letting the air through. I turn the fan all the way up and I can hear the fan going but nothing comes out of any of the vents. Then I turn the whole system off and turn it back on after 10 mins and it's fine for another 15 mins. Anyone had that happen to them or any ideas what's causing it.
    Thanks
  • rrapprrapp Posts: 1
    :confuse:

I have a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 quattro, and sometimes when it's cold outside, it makes strange noise. When I turn the steering wheel to the right, it gets louder. It goes away after a while though. When I checked the steering wheel fluid reservoir, the fluid looks foamy, but there are no leaks. Air must be getting in from somewhere, but unable to find it. What do you suspect?