Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jramierijramieri Posts: 2
    I just bought a fully loaded A6 with the 4.2 engine.( about $59,000). The A8 has a larger interior and is somewhat more refined but is slower and less responsive. If the extra room and "panache" is worth 15K to you...go ahead but it wasn't to me. The 4.2 A6 is a nice blend of quickness, handling and moderate size but the A4 was too small and the A8 too big and too much $$ for the difference...Joe
  • jramierijramieri Posts: 2
    Funny but I'm amazed at the detail the Nav gives me in NJ. My Bluetooth phone (Motorola V710 works great but no cradle is forthcoming yet. Where do you live? Maybe a different CD is needed...Joe
  • duffy4duffy4 Posts: 18
    I bought the A6 4.2 for the same reason. The A8 L was just too big, I tried to park it on my test drive and it was not easy. I have really like the A6 so far, except for the advance key problem that I will be getting fixed next week. I also bought the 18 inch wheels which do nothing for me. I would have perfered the standard wheels, the ride would be a little smoother and the tires may last longer. I see no upside to these wheels. Anyway, I did buy the cradle for the Sony Erickson phone. It is the newest version of the phone recommended by Audi. It just snaps in the cradle and is fully functional-address book etc. The phone is not a flip phone but is actually smaller than my flip phone. It has bluetooth and the camera. What I like about it is it is charging when you are in the car and then you just take it with you.
    The $260 for the cradle is a huge rip off. I also changed from Verizon to Cingular based on the comments made on this board
  • jjf429jjf429 Posts: 1
    My interior overhead lights flash on brieflty from time to time (typically while acclerating from a stop). At one point the door adjar message popped up on the dash when the lights flashed on. Anyone have similar problem?
  • matvrixmatvrix Posts: 1
    I have a '01 A6 Quattro. It has been serving me well. But, after I moved to the sun-belt I have been getting some rattling sound when it gets more than 70 degrees outside. Well, my car is rather spoiled as it didn't have to go through these trerous elements, earlier.. A common concern I should be wary about ?

And, my warranty is just about to end and would like to know the things I should look into before its gets too late..

Any pointers, would be greatly appreciated..

Good day !!
  • My "leakage" problem began at 45,000 miles. I was told by the Audi Dealer this is a "known problem" with the Audi. My car was no longer under warrantee (It's a 1999 A6, 2.8 liter engine) so the bill was over $2100.

I called Audi Customer Service this morning to report my displeasure with these defective parts (gaskets, seals, plugs) and the related expense of having them replaced on a car that has been babied all along. The service representative stated that they collect a data base of complaints and, if enough are recognized, may issue a recall / warrantee extension. Thus, I encourage each of you who has run into this costly situation to give them a call at 1-800-411-9988. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us something might be done...can only hope!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Same problem on my 2000 A6 w/2.7T, 78,000 miles. Will have the cam seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, main/secondary water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs, air filter and an oil/filter change thrown in all at the sme time in the next 5,000 miles. Should be good to about 115,000 miles before the next major service.
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    Hello all -

I have had my A6 (2000 miles) back twice to the dealer now because the "air bag" light is illuminated on the cluster. The 1st time I got the obligatory "we checked the codes and it showed this... and we reset it" no further activations. I was told it was the sensor for the rear center seatbelt ignitor (whatever that is). Well, 1 month later it's on again, and this time the dealer doesn't know what is causing it, but says they are now in contact with Audi to figure it out. This can't be good. I really really love the car, but was hoping all the stuff I read in here wouldn't happen to me, I just think electrical problems are never good. The dealer gave me a nice economical Chevy Suburban to drive around as a replacement.

My MMI nob also has snapped loose, although this one could be a car wash or kid snafu.

That's all for now, I'll keep the board posted as to the results.

Halofan
    Thanks to this board, I got my advance key fixed, rather than wait until my 5k service. It works great. Is there a way to lock the doors after you leave the car rather than using the key?
  • chitown1chitown1 Posts: 8
    If you have advanced key - there is a small button under the handle (on the right)on both front side doors that you can press to lock the door instead of using the key.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    That button is under all four doors!
  • stormy111stormy111 Posts: 16
    Has anyone heard of the airbag wiring system grounding out and causing the airbag system to deactivate? The airbag light in my A6 would randomly come on and give codes indicating the spiral spring or driver side airbag were defective. Audi chased this problem in my A6 for over a year before replacing the main wiring harness in the car. All the work together totalled about $7000, of which Audi picked up 75% since the problem started under warranty.
    That story does seem amazing, I have the same 2000 A6 2.7T with the same "airbag" light on issue. I was told by the dealer that an air bag replacement module is needed, Audi part # 8D0-959-655-K along with 2.9 hours of labor @ 110.50/hour bringing the total to :$815.00. Haven't had the repair done, in my case the light stays on consistently.
    don't do it. I had that light go on and off for 4 years I owned my 2001 a6 2.7. It usually would go on when my wife was in the passenger seat and my kids thought it was funny. It would go off after a few minutes or later that day. It is not worth $800 to fix
  • wattson1wattson1 Posts: 15
    has anyone tried getting audi 2006 a6 with the new S710a (blutetooth) ? Interested in how the bluetooth works ?
    Especially when the Audi dealer will only give a 1year, 12000 mile warranty on something that I call a "non-wearing" item. There isn't any reason why that air bag light stays on... the airbags have not deployed. I'm trying to figure out a way to simply disable the light, of course, the dealer said the whole system is interconnected so pulling one fuse will disable other important lights/features.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I had the same problem with my 05 4.2. The airbag light came on 1 week after I picked up the car. They called Germany and had to remove the front passenger seat and the rear seat to replace two sensors. The problem has not returned.
    I bought the new Sony Erickson phone, with bluetooth. This was the phone Audi recommended. I also bought the cradle ($250, rip off) I like the phone. I get all functions except the directory which is really the address book. I have it on blue tooth and carry it in my pocket and on longer trips it is in the cradle. The address book reads off the SIM card in the phone and I can pull up the address book while it is still in my pocket. I can call voice mail too. If you need the model # please advise. It is in my car now and it is raining like heck.
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    I just got mine back today after 4 days in the shop, they had to remove the rear seat and replace the center belt sensor (seatbelt ignitor). So far so good. I was told they had to get Audi involved because I had been back once prior for the problem. I hope this is the fix. Hows your car been so far? I remember when you bought it, reading your posts. Mine has been fine outside of these issues.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    It is a great car. It is fun to drive. I can't tell you how many people have stopped me in parking lots to tell me that it is a great looking car. The airbag light is the only problem that I have had. Luckily its week in the shop was the same week I was in Europe on vacation.