Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• moore06moore06 Posts: 1
    I don't know what model you have, but my 2000 2.7T burns oil also. I changed the oil and filter about 1,500 miles ago,with castrol syntec 5w-30. I checked the level on Sunday, and it was 2 quarts too low. I do have a very minor oil leak, but WTF! 2 quarts...
  • trunztrunz Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 A6. i got an oil signal and the car stalled immediately. I had it flatbedded to a good service person i am getting good oil pressure at the oil pump but none on the top end. He said he thinks I have major engine damage & suggested I have it taken to Audi dealer. It has 72K miles and has had good service. Any "silent reacalls" due to oil not getting to the top end??
    Don't buy it! Do not own any audi with over 60k miles. I bought one new and the motor just blew @ 72k. I maintained it well. Get a [non-permissible content removed] car.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Do you have an extended service plan on this car? Was the oil level up to the proper level on the dipstick when the oil light came on?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,003
    Did you just change the oil filter?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

No extended warranty. Oil was cahnged every 7k and only 10 days b4 engine failure
    Yes with every oil change!
    No I mean did you just change the oil filter prior to this incident.

If you did, and it wasn't an Audi filter, that could be your problem. Audis do NOT like other people's oil filters.

• rwolffrwolff Posts: 19
    I've found a 2000 A6 4.2 with 106,000 miles in mint condition priced at 12,500. The car seems to be a creampuff but I am of course concerned about the miles, having been an Audi owner the last eight years and knowing the problems that can occur. However, this car has been maintained very well and seems great. Any opinions on the pricing and reliablity of this model?
    The price is market correct, no bargain, no rip-off.

With those miles probably the best you can do is have the car thoroughly checked over and a list made of any deficient items...I mean have an Audi shop really dig into that car, test everything, pull the wheels, check for leaks, bad hoses, worn belts, weak shocks, unusual tire wear, possible collision damage, water leaks, etc. etc.

My guess is that a well-kept car like that has lots of life left but that you will be bedeviled by electrical issues from time to time.

Thanks will have the car thoroughly checked out.
    How about a choice between the 2000 Audi A6 4.2 with 106,000 and a 1998 BMW 528i with 98,000 miles, price comparable at 12,500?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    the 528 isn't in the same league as the 4.2. No question in my mind, go for the Audi, not to mention, newer model year...
  • dianawvdianawv Posts: 1
    Okay, after looking though this message board I feel like I am peering into the ninth gate of hell when I gaze at my red lit Audi dashboard and that it is laughing demonically at me thinking about how much money I will lose as it's new owner. I was weak- I mean my other car is a 1999 ford 250 diesel.(we have a farm) So driving the audi was beyond amazing. So I am the new owner of a used 1999 a6 Avant wagon, 74,000 miles seemingly good shape and runs well so far - except it does need new front brakes and tires- I did know this at purchase (Pd $9,200) Tires are worn evenly on all wheels. My question is what tires would you recommend for all season usage (Wv) And as long as we bought the service manuals, is there anything overly odd about changing the brake pads yourself? My husband has always done our american made cars and trucks with no ill results- but after reading these posts thought I better ask ! - Diana
    The '98 BMW 528i would be quite overpriced at $12,5K. More like $10K would be generous for a really nice one.

I think you're right about that...price for the BMW is about 3,000 more than I would want to spend on it versus the Audi. Having had two A4's the past eight years, one very good the other not so good, I still prefer the Audi for comfort, etc. Reading all these posts about problems, etc with Audi doesn't help but still feel the Audi is the better car in this case.
    I appreciate your comments. What is your opinion of the Lexus ES300 years 98 to 02 in comparision to an Audi? I know they are probably more reliable but what about handling, ride, etc.?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    If you're looking for reliability, then pick Lexus, hands down. If you want a fun ride, but understand there will be some repairs down the road, then go for the Audi...
    kinda depends on the Audi...most Audis aren't very exciting either unless it's the turbo models. Definitely Lexus on reliability for those years; however, some Lexus models apparently exhibit erratic automatic transmission behavior, so I'd test drive a used one for a long long time before making a purchase. I like Audi styling better though. Lexi are rather bland by my taste. Repair costs on an out of warranty car also suggest leaning toward Lexus.

• myodamyoda Posts: 1
    Hi Diana:

I have a 1999 A6 Avant with just over 90,000 miles on it. Be prepared for the 90K service..Have had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on the car for about a year. Smooth ride, excellent grip and wet/dry handling. They also give the car an aggressive look – cool tread pattern, looks more expensive then they really are. Check the tire rack for user reviews. I'd suggest having brakes done at a dealer - have to be careful when installing the brake sensors. Good luck! Watch your speed...

M
  • lcavadalcavada Posts: 2
    In my 2005 A6 Quattro, AIR BAG light turned on about 10 days ago. Immediately brought car back to dealer. They kept it for 4 days. Drove away from dealer LESS than 1 mile, and light turned on again.
    Brought it back to the dealer. Now they identified rear right seat belt is defective. They informed me I had to leave car at dealer since it was a safety issue. I refused and had to sign a release in order to leave in my car.

They ordered a new seatbelt, several days later with no seatbelt yet.
  • lcavadalcavada Posts: 2
    My 2005 A6 Quattro recently failed to start. At the dealer they upgraded the firmware for the entire system in order to fix the issue.

Since then....

My BT voice quality is very poor. Prior to that, I tried many different BT phones and they all worked flawlessly. All of them did not exhibit full seettings (antenna strength, phonebook, etc.) but did have really good voice quality over the BT link. These phones have always paired with the MMI system without any issues.

Since the update the call quality is so poor, I quite often turn of the phone's BT because I cannot communicate. The same phones, no new ones.

Taking the car back to the dealer they cannot find anything wrong.

Any Ideas ?
  • hawk248hawk248 Posts: 27
    Today I noticed the Air Bag light stays lit. Called the dealer I bought the car from and he wined about not having a loaner car handy and asked to bring the car in tomorrow. Called another Audi+Porsche dealer whose service shop stays open till 12:00 am Mon - Fri. The manager asked me to bring the car in and that there is service bulletin that says to upgrade the "software".

Took the car in, and they fixed in about an hour. They also adjusted the rear doors so that they close without any force.

I've read in this forum about Air Bag light issues plaguing 2005 and 2006 A6, primarily caused by rear seats belt tensioners. The only thing we have in the near seat in a child seat base that is anchored using the hooks (which are a pain in the rear to get to), as well as the passenger belt on the right hand side.

Just wondering if the other owners have come across this so called Audi service bulletin regarding Air Bag light for 2005 and 2006 A6's?
  • photobugphotobug Posts: 1
    Unless your husband is very familiar with german engineering, he may not want to tackle the brakes. The abs and traction control systems are linked to the brakes, so it not a real simple task. About tires, I switched my 2002 A6 tires from Michelins to BF Goodrich. The BF's had a better traction & wear ratings than the Michelins, according to one of the car magazines. I have been happy with them both on dry pavement, and in snowy weather. Just rememner you must use a four wheel alignment, & align as recommended by Audi, or you will get significant tire wear. Hopes this helps.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Brakes are brakes. Take the calipers off, take out the old pads, put in the new pads, put the calipers back on (and some other miscellaneous tasks). It is a simple task, and your husband will be just fine working on the brakes of your car. He won't be disconnecting anything that affects the sensors for the ABS or traction control, and even those parts are simple screw-off/screw-on items.

People are put-off from working on cars with sophisticated electronics because the whole is greater than the actual sum of its parts. The individual pieces that make up the system are simple and usually straight forward (and expensive).
  • timbo6timbo6 Posts: 1
    I have an Audi A6 2.4 automatic for the past 6 months no problem.All of a sudden the oil light,brake light and ABS light all start flashing then stop but now it is happening more regulary.I have had i checked and there seems to be no problem(it took three atempts to read the comtuper).Also the P,R,D,N,1,2,3 seems to all light up when this happens and the car seems to get stuck in one gear.It's quite annoying when i'm in the car but a bit scary when i have my 8 month old son in the back.I thought Audi were a good make.Can anyone shed a little light on this.Thanks safe driving Tim.
  • My key is stuck too...
    ever figure out how to get yours out?

thanks,
    Josh
  • arniet1arniet1 Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Audi A-6 with cooling fluid leak. Dealer pressure tested radiator system, found no leaks and filled coolant to top in overflow tank. After driving additional 6k miles(total is 65K on auto)fluid is down about 4 inches in overflow tank but no visible sign of leaks. Is it going into motor? Anyone with experience on this? What is repair on this?
  • g_henrysg_henrys Posts: 4
    The check engine light (MIL) on my 2001 A6 4.2 has just turned on. I have a scanner and the codes are P0130 and P0150 which translate to oxygen sensor malfunction, pre cat. I contacted my local shop and they said it is unlikely for both sensors to be out at the same time and that it may be an indication of a bigger problem, especially since I am only at 50K miles (yes my gas cap is on correctly). Here's the rub, if I run the gas down to less than 1/8 a tank and then fill it, the MIL goes out after the forth time I start the engine. It then comes back on a day or two later. Anyone have a similar situation or any ideas what to check for?
    The cooling system should be pressure tested and the spark plugs removed and the plugs and combustion chambers inspected for coolant deposits. You might have a bad head gasket. Repair would be removing head, re-surfacing the head and replacing the head gasket.