Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I also called Audi American to voice my concerns about my 1999 A6 transmission (front wheel drive) failing after 88,000 miles and that the company line is that at this mileage it is up to dealer discretion for any financial assistance. I have taken all of my vehicles to the same dealer for service. (17 years combined) I have personally owned 4 Audi vehicles with good results all with mileage exceeding 150,000 miles. I am dissapointed that as an owner and Audi supporter that with simple commuter driving conditions that a vehicle with this much technology and engineering is having so many issues. (broken motor mounts) (ABS brain failure).
    I would be appreciative of any feedback. Sadly, I think after a 25 year run that I am done with Audi.
  • I recently purchased a non-quattro A6, with 95,000 miles. Good service history, looks and runs well. I am guessing the front shocks need replacing, as the front end bottoms out fairly easily. What kind of a bad-road ride should this car have? I live in Fairbanks, AK, and many of our roads here have frost heaves. Also, the lock button on drivers side usually does not go down by itself. Is this a vacuum system, and are there any likely places to start troubleshooting? I got this car to replace my beloved 80 240D, as a rear wheel drive diesel car just does not do well here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hello folks I am glad I found these forums and hello to all. I have what seems like an unsual problem today, my radio will not shut off in the car ( it is the non-removable commander unit) and my air conditioning quit. Any Tips? They would be very welcomed.
    Got in touch with audi dealer, they might be able to get me in "next week".

Thanks in Advance
    cyandyus - 02 Audi A6 3.0
  • I'm new to this forum so I need your help....just found a 2002 A6 2.7t Quattro with 20K miles. It is Audi certified and the Carfax looks clean (meaning...not a lot of trips to the dealership). What are the some major things I need to consider before making this purchase? Need help fast because my wife just fell in love with one that is Ming Blue with tan leather.
  • I'd be pretty happy with that choice, too. I have a 2001 2.7T w/6-speed. 66K miles in four and a half years. I've had a couple minor problems. I had a sensor go out that made the car take several tries to start. It took two visits to the dealer (loaner each time) to find the problem. It was a combination of clutch and seat. Since the problem occurred infrequently the solution was tough to find. Also had a cracked window slide last winter. The dealer fixed it at a normal service interval. the only other problem was a check engine light which turned out to be a failed heat sensor. The dealer told me there were 1500 reasons the light would come on.

I'd buy this car again. It's a great ride. I like the 6-speed and the '06 Audi A6 is over priced and only has an auto so I'm hanging on to this for a while. The dealer has been great and I go there for all my maintenance. I understand that the serpentine belt replacement at 90K is an $1800 maintenance item. Someone may have more details on that. Good luck.
  • Your car is still under warranty, you lost AC, and the radio won't shut off, and the dealer "might" get you in until NEXT WEEK?! :confuse:

I'd call and insist they see you sooner. This isn't elective maintenance...they should take you and try to fit you in, IMO. If they don't work with you, call AOA and complain. The dealerships are supposed to be working on improving service to compete with other lux dealerships, including Lexus. Doesn't seem like they're doing it in your particular example...
  • That is the "timing belt" issue for $1800, the serpentine belt replacement should run about $150.00 at the dealer.
  • I hope you're right about that! That would be good news. I've only opened the hood on this thing once. I've been considering a trade - Acura RL, Infiniti FX of M are on the top of the list. But I like the way the cars rides, great performance, and good service when I go in for my oil change (which I do every 5,000 miles).
  • I live in NJ and my new a6 4.2 has had a few nagging problem in the first 5k miles. The advance key has required two replacements and the gas guage has been repaired two times, the second time required the shipping of a new instrument cluster from Germany and a 14 day stay at the dealership. (I have been driving a new Allroad, nice car). All told, the car has been out of service for 18 days in the first 3 months of ownership. How is Audi on the lemon law. In NJ, it is 3 times with the same problem or 20 days out of service in the first 18,000 miles. Bascially, I just want a new car----that works
  • I had the exact same problem on my 2002 2.7T 6-spd. with, what I referred to as the 'clutch interface switch." It took the dealer 4 visits over a period of 3 months just to figure it out. Then 6 weeks to get the part in. That has been my biggest problem with the car. Otherwise, it's been pretty perfect.
  • Oh, and I forgot .... the fuel computer has sometimes led me to believe I had zero miles worth of gas, when I actually had 2~3 gallons. My lease on my A6 2.7T is up 11/2 and I'm leaning towards the '06, but all of this talk about problems with the advance key has me nervous. I have read countless posts about it.
  • keyeskeyes Posts: 5
    ive put roughly 7500 miles on the car and no problems at all. :)
  • duffy4duffy4 Posts: 18
    Even though I have had a few nagging problems, I still love my 2005 a6 4.2. I just wish I had waited for the 2006. I think most of the nagging problems will have been fixed, the dealership has been great and the car is beautiful. The 2006 colors are better too,. In 2005, the colors were lame. The a8 had better choices. In 2006, they have a great light gray that I saw in the showroom
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    My one year anniversary of my car will be in 2 wks. During this time, I have to say I have loved the car. The A6 definitely has its drawbacks (low city mileage, problems with starter buttons, perhaps not as much HP as I'd like) but overall, I am happy to have bought it. I don't regret it at all. I still look forward to driving it and still park it far away from others to try to prevent the inevitable ding.
  • I have a 1998 A6 2.8, and I am having oil leaks as well. However, it didn't really start until about 92,000 miles and got progressively worse. I took it to my independent mechanic who is very good with Audis, and he could not find the source. However, he did not dig into the car very deep. I think he was concerned about the labor costs of actually finding the leak. It is leaking in the area above the A/C compressor, and is not the valve cover gasket or head gasket. I suspect the cam seals are the culprit, but when I look inside the timing belt covers, there is a little residue- but not much. Can it leak from the cam seals without leaking into the timing belt area? The leak started out to be a little drip, but has turned into an alarming puddle. It also seems to be leaking on the passenger side rear, thus making smoke from a drip on the exhaust. I replaced the valve cover gasket on that side- but to no avail.
  • joatjoat Posts: 3
    hi fairbanks99-
    you ABSOLUTELY must check to see if the timing belt and/or water pump maintenance was done on the car. if not, you're in for a big bump (financial).
    you definitely want to replace the timing belt if it's not been done recently.
    i couldn't agree more with you!!
    um...it works off a satellite so when the signal is interrupted, no sound.
    tunnels, overpasses, trees, etc.
  • geosfgeosf Posts: 3
    Wow ... loved my 2000 A6 2.7T. All service and maintenaince done by Audi dealer as specified. Two weeks ago the Check Engine light came on. Dealer said he had to order an emissions part but it was OK to drive. One week later the water pump goes out on the highway. Car towed to the dealer from the side of the road. Verdict: Water pump siezed, timing belt jumped some teeth, broke valves and damaged pistons ... that will be one new short block sir.

Anyone else with similiar experience?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    That is my biggest fear! I have 68K miles on my 2001 2.7T and have been considering a trade. I really like the car - especially the 6-speed. Audi has gone overboard with pricing and I'm looking at Acura and Infiniti.

How many miles did you have on the car? Has anyone done routine timing belt service and the recommended service point and pushed these models past 100K??