Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• moore06moore06 Posts: 1
    I don't know what model you have, but my 2000 2.7T burns oil also. I changed the oil and filter about 1,500 miles ago,with castrol syntec 5w-30. I checked the level on Sunday, and it was 2 quarts too low. I do have a very minor oil leak, but WTF! 2 quarts...
  • trunztrunz Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 A6. i got an oil signal and the car stalled immediately. I had it flatbedded to a good service person i am getting good oil pressure at the oil pump but none on the top end. He said he thinks I have major engine damage & suggested I have it taken to Audi dealer. It has 72K miles and has had good service. Any "silent reacalls" due to oil not getting to the top end??
    Don't buy it! Do not own any audi with over 60k miles. I bought one new and the motor just blew @ 72k. I maintained it well. Get a [non-permissible content removed] car.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Do you have an extended service plan on this car? Was the oil level up to the proper level on the dipstick when the oil light came on?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Did you just change the oil filter?

No extended warranty. Oil was cahnged every 7k and only 10 days b4 engine failure
    Yes with every oil change!
    No I mean did you just change the oil filter prior to this incident.

If you did, and it wasn't an Audi filter, that could be your problem. Audis do NOT like other people's oil filters.

• rwolffrwolff Posts: 19
    I've found a 2000 A6 4.2 with 106,000 miles in mint condition priced at 12,500. The car seems to be a creampuff but I am of course concerned about the miles, having been an Audi owner the last eight years and knowing the problems that can occur. However, this car has been maintained very well and seems great. Any opinions on the pricing and reliablity of this model?
    The price is market correct, no bargain, no rip-off.

With those miles probably the best you can do is have the car thoroughly checked over and a list made of any deficient items...I mean have an Audi shop really dig into that car, test everything, pull the wheels, check for leaks, bad hoses, worn belts, weak shocks, unusual tire wear, possible collision damage, water leaks, etc. etc.

My guess is that a well-kept car like that has lots of life left but that you will be bedeviled by electrical issues from time to time.

Thanks will have the car thoroughly checked out.
    How about a choice between the 2000 Audi A6 4.2 with 106,000 and a 1998 BMW 528i with 98,000 miles, price comparable at 12,500?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    the 528 isn't in the same league as the 4.2. No question in my mind, go for the Audi, not to mention, newer model year...
  • dianawvdianawv Posts: 1
    Okay, after looking though this message board I feel like I am peering into the ninth gate of hell when I gaze at my red lit Audi dashboard and that it is laughing demonically at me thinking about how much money I will lose as it's new owner. I was weak- I mean my other car is a 1999 ford 250 diesel.(we have a farm) So driving the audi was beyond amazing. So I am the new owner of a used 1999 a6 Avant wagon, 74,000 miles seemingly good shape and runs well so far - except it does need new front brakes and tires- I did know this at purchase (Pd $9,200) Tires are worn evenly on all wheels. My question is what tires would you recommend for all season usage (Wv) And as long as we bought the service manuals, is there anything overly odd about changing the brake pads yourself? My husband has always done our american made cars and trucks with no ill results- but after reading these posts thought I better ask ! - Diana
    The '98 BMW 528i would be quite overpriced at $12,5K. More like $10K would be generous for a really nice one.

I think you're right about that...price for the BMW is about 3,000 more than I would want to spend on it versus the Audi. Having had two A4's the past eight years, one very good the other not so good, I still prefer the Audi for comfort, etc. Reading all these posts about problems, etc with Audi doesn't help but still feel the Audi is the better car in this case.
    I appreciate your comments. What is your opinion of the Lexus ES300 years 98 to 02 in comparision to an Audi? I know they are probably more reliable but what about handling, ride, etc.?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    If you're looking for reliability, then pick Lexus, hands down. If you want a fun ride, but understand there will be some repairs down the road, then go for the Audi...
    kinda depends on the Audi...most Audis aren't very exciting either unless it's the turbo models. Definitely Lexus on reliability for those years; however, some Lexus models apparently exhibit erratic automatic transmission behavior, so I'd test drive a used one for a long long time before making a purchase. I like Audi styling better though. Lexi are rather bland by my taste. Repair costs on an out of warranty car also suggest leaning toward Lexus.

• myodamyoda Posts: 1
    Hi Diana:

I have a 1999 A6 Avant with just over 90,000 miles on it. Be prepared for the 90K service..Have had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on the car for about a year. Smooth ride, excellent grip and wet/dry handling. They also give the car an aggressive look – cool tread pattern, looks more expensive then they really are. Check the tire rack for user reviews. I'd suggest having brakes done at a dealer - have to be careful when installing the brake sensors. Good luck! Watch your speed...

M