Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I am thinking of buying a 1999 A6 with 30000 miles. Any suggestions? What is a good price for this car? The car I am looking at has a Third Row seat. I heard that AUDI discontinued it due to safety issues. Is this true?
  • You didn't give condition (1-5) or specific option list but assuming the Audi is in excellent condition, a selling price around $20,000 sounds like a pretty fair deal.
  • Back on Dec 28 I posted a question asking if anyone might help me understand how the A6 models have changed in the years since the 1996 one I just bought...to learn whether there are "better years" or "worse years" in terms of repairs. No one has been on this board since Dec 31, so I am hoping with this second request that someone will share a little information with me. Since then I have learned that my sunroof only need a minor electrical connection repair...but that the central air heating module needs replacing (at about $730 for the part alone). Also, some dash lights that I thought only needed bulb replacement - actually required an electrical module replacement (another $250 for the part). It is starting to look like my investment in this Audi was not a good thing. But I still really like the car. Will anyone out there help me with information about other years and/or models...in case I sell this one and pick up a different one. I am also open to getting an older Audi V8 - since they can be purchased quite cheaply. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • If you were to do a web search with the terms Audi and world, you might find a wealth of Audi info.
  • rikia1rikia1 Posts: 4
    I have brought my Audi in for the same defect, coil replacement, 3 times. My vehicle is a few weeks shy of one year old. The entire vehicle shakes above speeds of 45mph. Coils were supposedly replaced to amend this problem, but my car is still shaking and I have not been able to enjoy the vehicle, nor feel safe driving it. Has anyone else had this problem? According to the dealership, 40 cars were in the dealership for the same problem, although mainly A4 3.0 models, with a few A6 models, although it seems like mine is the only one that has been in for repairs 3 times! It is very frustrating!
  • You have to understand that your 1996 A6 is a completely different car than the newer A6 models.
    The 1996 was built on the previous Audi 100/200 platform, & it has a lot more in common with those cars. http://www.audiworld.com is a great resource to learn more. I have owned a bunch of older Audis & in fact I have a 1996 A6 right now which I recently bought. I paid $15k for a 30,000 original mile car. My only major concern with these cars is the transmission (I have the older 4 speed automatic, it's not the tiptronic). They are sort of delicate & I've had to replace one before. However, I feel it's a reasonable trade off for an engine that will give you 200,000 miles or more with no problem, & solid, luxurious, all weather mobility with quattro. As far as your sunroof & heater problems, yes, repairs are expensive. But also dealers seem to have an uncanny knack for finding the most complex & expensive solution to any given problem. I don't know where you took it, but I never use Audi dealers except as a last resort. There's really not much reason to with older cars. I recommend you try to find a good independent mechanic with some experience with Audis. Good luck
  • I just read all of the posts in the A-6 area. Unfortunately, you only hear from people with problems here. It would be interesting to see what the percentage of satisfied A-6 owners are.

Our 2000 A-6 2.7 (33,000 miles) has been plagued with problems since the day we picked it up. It started with the recall related to the fuel gauge (we bought it in February - the part arrived at the dealership in late August). The cluster has been replaced four times. $5,000 worth of warranty work on the front end. In seven times in the last six months for an EPC light that will not stay off for more than three days (it just came on again - I can't WAIT to see my buddies at the dealership). Leak in the cooling system. On and on and on.

I asked the dealership to print out our repair history. It is pages and pages long. While we like driving this car and it IS comfortable inside, no one should have to spend this much time driving to and from the dealership and in loaner cars. Funny about the guy complaining about Acura loaners. We get little Chevys, Fords, Mitsubishi Gallants and Dodge Intrepids. That's what I paid $40,000 for. This is a great country!
  • I own the exact same vehicle-'00 A6 2.7T (41,000 miles) w/tip/xenon. I have only had a few little problems-i.e.-- the front window guides breaking, a little paint peeling, the air didn't blow cold enough once and was recharged, and of course, the infamous gas gauge recall.

All problems were fixed in a reasonable amount of time with not too much hassle dealing with loaner cars, etc.

No breakdowns, turbo failures, or warning lights coming on in the dash up to this point.

If you would like further, detailed info about this car, click "marleybarr" and I will be happy to e-mail back!
  • nquayenquaye Posts: 2
    First time participant wanting to see if anyone has had the misfortune of sharing in a bad experience I had this past Friday:

I leased a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro in March 2000, coming due in June of this year - 2003. I've loved my car for many reasons, and so was in the market to either go up to a 4.2 or even take a look at the new A8s.

Early last year, I experienced an odor of some sort in the car, that caused my eyes to water and my nose to burn. The problem was somewhat alleviated by opening the windows, but as I'm wont to, I ttok the car in - made it an early service trip. the dealer checked it out and found nothing, and indeed when I drove off, the smell wasn't there.

I attributed it to any number of things: leaking windshield wiper fluid, or as I'd washed the car before the incident, maybe some solvent or the other. I even ludicrously assumed it was the sun mixing with residue of wiper fluid! Long and short, had no clue and the dealer didn't find anything.

This past Friday, my fiancee and our 3 month old are in the car and I get a call. She starts to describe a smell which I finish for her - the odor was back. I told her I'd experienced the same thing and that I was going to schedule and appointment with the nearest dealer, which I did.

1 hour later, she calls me to tell me my car is on fire. black smoke came out of nthe air-conditioning vents, and then flames followed. Bottomline: traumatized passengers, totalled car, scared and royally pissed fiance.

Who can relate?
  • asiu28asiu28 Posts: 7
    Hi, rlenguyen
    I bought my A6 in Sept. 2002 and I have about 1200 miles so far. I think my A6 also has the same CVT problems that you mentioned. Occasionally, when I put in the reverse (R), the car jerks a few times, and if I put in Park (P) then reverse, the jerking stops. Took to the dealership twice and nothing was done. The results were like yours: computer showed everything is OK. Do you still have that problems? Have not seen your posting lately. Besides this, it is a great car. Keep posting.
  • Hey guys! Have you tried these solutions listed on http://www.bon.loveslife.com/ updated by a Rusnak service advisor from Pasadena, CA?
  • We have also had our car into the shop 4 times for "coil problems" We purchased the car on August 14, 2002. They keep telling us that all of the coil parts are bad and they are just hoping that the one they put in our car is good. We are getting frustrated by this and were wondering if anyone had received any type of more permanent resolution for this problem from their dealer?
  • Go to "Audi A4-problems and solutions". Article in the Boston Globe about bad Audi coil packs.Appears to be a widespread problem on many Audis, according to the story!
  • For all those with coil problems, there is an article from Sunday 2/2/03 New York Times that makes you realize we are all in the same boat! The title of the article is "A Black Eye for VW and Audi."
  • In today's Wall Street Journal it was reported that VW/Audi has decided to recall all of it's cars that are affected by the faulty coil problem. This includes all 2001 through early 2003 models that have exhibited this problem. A6's with the 3.0 liter engine are included, in addition to a host of models (including Audi 1.8 TT's, 1.8 and 3.0 A4's, plus various VW's) that have experienced this problem. They will replace all the coils in the affected models whether or not they have experienced problems, and they expect their suppliers, who are working around the clock, to have manufactured enough new coils to replace all models being recalled by the end of March.

Good move on VW/Audi's part, although they should have acted earlier, IMO.
  • I may have been able to ask this question in another message board, but it had to do with my A6. I was wondering how easy it would be to remove the tint film in my car. I had it professionally done and was considering taking it off myself as long as it wouldnt damage the glass. So I am just trying to see if I should get it professionally taken off. Thanks in advance for your feedback..

ohhh, by the way.. I have a 2000 A6 quattro and experience with it has not been good. One problem (minor ones) after the other.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    A razor blade will take it off but you'll probably lose some of the lines of your rear defogger grid when you peel it off the back window.
  • I have the standard radio in my 2000 A6 and I am not getting the best reception in the US. Is there a reason for this? Is there something I can do to get better reception?

Thanks for your help
  • rcasey2rcasey2 Posts: 2
    First and only post ever posted #77 went unheard with no replies. No big deal since problematic A6 is no longer around. Proud to be a owner of a "03 Lexus and couldn't be happier. To those who think they know anything about these cars should re-educate themselves. All these post about various problems is a joke. Granted no car is perfect but we as consumers expect a car of these prices to be better. Audi customer relations should be ashamed of themselves. Talking to them is about as helpful to talking to monkees. To all current Audi problem owners, do yourself a favor and move to a manufacturer that is top of the class(Lexus)you will love your experience from beginning to end. Selling your Audi may present a problem since the Audi's have absolute no resale value. I wonder why!! I look forward to owning many more Lexus cars. By the way I am not kidding about Audi Cr, if you have problems with your car especially recurring ones, don't expect them to help or dealer service reps to help because they won't period.
  • coop18coop18 Posts: 4
    I have recently purchased a used Audi from a friend who has never had any major problems with it. In the last 6 months the car has stalled three times while slowing down to make a turn at approx 10-15 mph. I have called a number of mechanics and have gotten different responses. Has anyone experienced this before. I have also had a problem with the alarm going off randomly. I turned off the motion sensor, so I am not sure what could be causing it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • rlenguyenrlenguyen Posts: 11
    Well, it's been a couple of months since I've posted, so I thought I'd give an update. I still have (on occassion) the jerking of the transmission when I put it in reverse. I've just learned to live with it. Windows are working better and it was due to the replacement of the regulators. If you call Audi Advocates, then you can get a detailed map printout for any trips you have planned. I've used that a couple of times and thought that's a nice little extra. However, I still have problems with the auto lock feature, but only when it's below 40 degrees outside. Good thing Spring is here. Gas mileage is about 28 on the highway and 21 around town...not too bad. I have about 7100 miles now since purchasing it in Oct 02. Other than that, I still get the looks...ok, the car still gets the looks.
  • lanche72lanche72 Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 A6 2.t tip and it seems to be struggle for power sometimes and then other time not. When I down shift it either puts me back in my seat or seems to "slip" and grab for power.
    I am also getting an oil burining smell when the car has been driven either hard or longer distance.
    I have 63,000 miles and this is the first major complaint I have. Like all others posting here I have had numerous minor warranty troubles and my dealer works on his own schedule.
    Last question. Does anyone have a good mechanic in the Dallas/FW area.

Thanks
  • pjcragepjcrage Posts: 15
    I have a '02 A6 2.7T with all packages and I have to tell you that in 21k miles I have experienced only one problem, warped front brake rotors which the dealer replaced no questions asked. I wonder if Audi is getting better with experience and the '02 model year is better all around but I have been very pleased with this car...and I should be for $45K.
    PC
  • asiu28asiu28 Posts: 7
    I had posted my problems before regarding the shaking and jerking of my 2003 A6 3.0 CVT when I shift into reverse. After several visits to the dealership, the service technician finally found the transmission mounts were broken and replaced the left and right trans. mounts. Hopefully this will solve my "shift in reverse and jerking" problems. Will update my posting if any new development comes up.
  • wburroughswburroughs Posts: 1
    Have an A6 2.7T, 2002. Really like the car. Dealer I bot it from told me I would have half a dozen minor problems in the first year. He was right. So far:
    -wiper fluid pump broken, so fluid leaks right out
    -Navigator is balky, sometimes does not work ("Check CD" message)
    -Rear driver's side window goes down, but not always back up.
    -Keyless entry no longer works (on either key)

I am happy w/ the car, just checking around.
  • lanche72lanche72 Posts: 9
    I have a 00 2.7 and my brother has an 01 4.2.
    We both have had numerous minor problems with them. I have 63k and just took it to the shop for a whole list of things. The instrument cluster needed replacing, window and sunroof problems, rattles, a recall, cd player quit working etc. I guess my point is plan for the problems to continue and hope you never have it our of warranty.
    Don't get me wrong I love my audi (it's my second one and my brothers 3rd) and the dealer is close to me so it's not to incovenient with the loaner.
  • pegleggerpeglegger Posts: 40
    First time to the board....all I can say is that I'm glad I have the Audi Assured Warranty. Have had my car about 20 months and have put on about 50K in that time. I've paid the $50 deductible about 8 times. Luckily, I combined some of the nuisance problems (cup holders braking, etc.) with the larger ones...now my tiptronic doesn't upshift (downshifts fine, though), so I'm just waiting for something else to go wrong to combine for my $50 charge...sure it won't be too long. Only have 5K left on the warranty though.

Audi America...what a joke. I swear you could put anybody in that position to listen to problems and do nothing. Since I'm the second owner of the car, they don't care (maybe they treat the original owners the same), but the guy almost came out and said that if I was the original owner, they would be inclined to do more!

Next car will be a Volvo S60R...sure it will also be high maintenance, but had to switch brands.
  • higby4higby4 Posts: 15
    just traded my A6 quattro wagon 1999 47k miles for a nissan murano .....I miss the wonderful ride but not the problems....right after warranty ended cam seals had to be replaced....Window off track ....pretty standard......electrical problems... wish I had a dollar for every one of them...wanted so badly to buy another A6 Avant butjust didnt want to deal with it ,even if it is on warranty.Love my murano and expect it to be trouble free.Best way to solve audi problems buy an asian vehicle
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I went from an Audi allroad to an Infiniti FX45, but for a different reason. Unfortunately my allroad was totalled in an accident, and I had to get a new car. In my case the Audi was pretty trouble-free, but since it is scheduled to go out of production I thought I would try something else. So far I am very happy with the Infiniti, especially its performance and handling, but like you I miss the Audi in many ways too.
  • rlenguyenrlenguyen Posts: 11
    Well, my A6 is still having the problem of sporadic jerking (I mean it's pretty violent) of the transmission when I put it only in reverse. I can't take it anymore, so I'm bringing it in for another (2nd time) diagnostic. The service rep (a new one) pulled up my history and finally suggested that the tranny might be faulty and a new one MAY have to be installed. Before speaking to this particular service rep., I felt like no one believed me as they could not duplicate the problem previously. Also, I'm bringing it in for another look at the windows because they still don't work in cold weather (below 40). The new A8 have heated regulators for the windows, so it must be an issue with Audi. I would think that a $40K plus vehicle would not have this kind of problem. Heck, my friends Xterra never has a problem with his windows in cold weather. Next, I'm bringing in my remote transmitters again (3rd time) because one of them doesn't work. Everytime they stop working, the service techs just replaces the battery. Obviously, if they are going out every couple of months there is something wrong with the software or hardware itself. While I'm there, I will ask them to look at the coils that are being recalled by Audi, eventhough I have no idea if the coils are defective or not.

It's hard to believe that I've accumulated such a long service history already (I've had the vehicle for 8 months). Overall, I love my A6, but I could do without the inconvenience of bringing my vehicle in almost every month. At least I don't have to pay for any of the service, so I guess there is a bright side to everything.

Thanks asiu28 for your update. I suggested your solution to my service rep over the phone and he said that replacing the transmission mounts probably will not resolve the problem, so that's when he said that the entire transmission MAY need replacing. Hey, good luck with your vehicle and I'll update again after I get my vehicle back from service.