Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• freepassfreepass Posts: 1
    Hi folks, can you tell me what exactly has to be detached to replace the drivers front cv shaft. It looks like a bit more than my old mazda 626. I prefer not to unbolt more than I have to.
    Thanks, Mike
  • kkosmankkosman Posts: 1
    I keep getting the same problem over and over again. If i turn the A/C fan speed control to over 9 i fel a vibration, as soon as i lower it again the vibration goes away. I took it to the Authorized Audi Dealership and they changed the filters, two month later it has started again. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this problem and how they solved it . Im not living in the US the climate here is dusty but i have never had this problem before. The dealership is insisting to charge me every time i have this problem and i have a feeling that he is just putting a bandage instead or doing a permanent repair job.
    Thx in advance
    Khalid
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Which engine? turbo V-6, n/a V-6 or V-8?

• I have the headlight range control defective warning light.Has anyone had this problem? or knows how to fix it?

Thanks
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    I own an '04 A6 3.0 Quattro and I have noticed at night that the headlights don't seem to have the same verticle alignment. I know the HID's are self leveling, but it always seems like the light on the driver's side falls a bit shorter than the one on the driver's side. Is there an adjustment I can make to even them out?
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    This is a known problem. Audi has issued a TSB for the issue. It requires a new control module. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and reference the issue and I will send you the TSB.
  • My A6 turn signals blink spordaically. they blink very quickly and the lights only blink a few times. Is there a flasher assembly someplace ?
  • spawn1spawn1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 audi a6 and the heater is unable to turn down,it says its turning down but doesnt.I can still adjust the flow of air though.And when I turn on the a/c it still blows out hot air .And the funny thing is somedays it works like it is supposed to,you know like when I take it in to get looked at!!Please help???
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    i had a 2006 A6 that was lemon law with same issue , it would go from comfortable 70 degree to scalding 180 degree , after many times in shop my dealer would not work on it any more , so i had to wait 45 days for audi tech to come , looking at my paper work it was a dual heater a/c valve unit had to be replaced , i can not tell you oh if that took care of the issue i hardly drove it after that and they tool it back ,
    they could not or would not say if i had a potential fire hazard , good luck probably be cheaper to get rid of it if it is that problem ,
  • Hi Kgary I would like to send you a PM but my comp is not allowing to do anything. What is an TSB?
    It is the abbreviation for a Technical Service Bulletin, which is how Audi advises its technicians on how to repair a known problem.
  • straylostraylo Posts: 3
    OK, it's years later, but would you mind telling me what the cause and the solution (cost?) was to fix this? It happened to me this week.
    There is a TSB on this problem. Drop me a PM with your e-amil address, referencing the stuck ignition key, and I will e-mail you the TSB.
    Can you post the TSB here on this forum?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Here's the number of it so you can give this info to the dealer

96 08 07

August 12, 2008. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 96 number 06-01 dated July 14, 2006 to update SRT.

Vehicle Information

Ignition switch cannot be turned on; key may stick in ignition

Condition
    ^ Engine will not start.

^ Ignition cannot be turned on.

^ In some cases, the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition switch after attempting to start the engine.

Technical Background

No communication with the Access/Start Control Unit (J518), which may be caused by capacitor and or transistor damage within the Access/Start Control Unit (J518).

Production Solution

Introduction of an improved Access/Start Control Unit (J518).

This applies to ALL 2005 and some 2006.

NOTE: Keep in mind that this is not a free repair if you are out of warranty.

TSB - 96 08 07 doesn't seem to apply here :
    The car is 2001 A6 Quattro 2.7T.
    I can start the car and everything runs fine including locking/security system, brake switch / transmission interlocks etc. I simply can not remove the ignition key. Is this simply a mechanical problem in the ignition lock or something more sinister like a software problem in a steering column control module. How many reasons could Audi engineers have for not releasing the key?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    While we're talking about 2005 A6's, are there any TSB's that address transmission hesitation?

I'd also be curious about the headlight TSB. My wife's A6 has given us that message a couple of times, though things continue to work fine.

-Paul
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Does anyone know if the HID headlights can be adjusted at all? I've got an '04 A6 Quattro and the light on the driver's side seems to have a slighly lower aim than the passenger side light. Can the adjustment be made, if so...how???

Mike
  • So my A6 wagon has been developing a small coolant leak over the last few weeks. It has just been draining the overflow tank and the car has been running fine. I tried a bottle of Bars leak stop and that worked, but only for a few hundred miles. So yesterday I decided to dig into and fix it. I thought it might be a metal tube that runs across the front of the engine. So I rerouted it around the metal tube and filled it up. Still have the leak. So after further investigation, the fluid is coming from behind the belts and pulleys and I can not see exactly where. Now my dad thought it could be the water pump, but we had a hard time finding that too. So could someone point me in the right direction to find this leak? Could you tell me what I would find behind the belts and pulleys? Where is the water pump? Anybody got a parts diagram they can send me? The car has been running fine at normal temperature, so I think the block is fine as of right now, but the leak did get a lot worse as I was driving home yesterday (of course on the same day I was gonna fix it). In advance, Thanks for the responses! I need them.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    That sounds like an auxiliary coolant pump. Not too long ago someone else wrote about it. I responded with my experience on my A6 2.7T. The car ran great but I had a small coolant leak. I don't know where it is though. I've only opened the hood of the car twice in 8 years. It was an $800 service charge at the dealer.