Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeez.. that doesn't seem right.. . I get this feeling we are all wasting time , since our cars are under warranty and the econ is slow... these service centers are making things up to bill Audi for the work.. I told Audi, that my 2008 A6 w/ 5k miles has been in the shop more time then my 4 yr old BMW. If it happens again, I'll get rid of it, and never even think about driving an Audi again. I'm already pretty upset that I took the dive and bought one in the first place. They are no where near the service quality or the engineering of a BMW.
  • I have a 2003 Black Audi A6 Quattro that I bought at the end of March 2009. I would sell it to you if you are looking to buy one. It has over 80 thousand miles but the car runs beautifully EXCEPT for the suspension is bad. The front right strut is shot and it ihas worn out the pump therefore it needs to be fixed. I am selling the car because I was told that it was problem free except for the windshield fluid indicator keeps coming on (also a problem, after having warranty insp, found it needs a new motor, (Bad for Lexus of Bellevue for selling this car as if it had no problems) I am either taking the car bacr to them or I will sell it after I report them to the ATtorney general"s office for selling a lemon.
  • afoxtxafoxtx Posts: 1
    I own an 08 A6 with less than 15K miles (have had it for a year and a half). Twice I've had to take it into the dealer to address the sunroof leaking, and twice I've been told that leaves from my oak tree are clogging the sunroof drain - and the last time they charged me $60 to clear the drain. And the maintenance guy told me he's had the same problem on his Audi. I never had this issue with my previous VW Passat, which was parked under the same trees for several years. I'm not parking it with the roof open - this is happening to a fully closed sunroof (that apparently can't withstand leaves!).

Has anyone else experienced this? Does Audi need to run an ad campaign about how Audis are for everyone unless you happen to have a tree canopy over your driveway?
  • egnaroegnaro Posts: 1
    Exact same issue. Was on vacation in SC (800 miles from home) got up in the morning to find about 2 gallons of water slushing around in the backseat of my car. Cannot leave it out in the rain but also cannot image that there is a leak anywhere big enough to pick up that much water. Wonder if there is a leak on the undercarriage of the car - it is dried up now - will probably sell now before any major damage happens.
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    you get my sympathy from AUDI, you need to be sure that you keep every piece of paper , call AUDI customer care (believe me they don't) and complain , you might even ask them to set you up at another dealer , i can not imagine why all this is not cover under warranty , you know it bull about where you park it , i would contact your consumer affairs office that with the state , to see what your rights are , even beyond Lemon law there help , it just a pain but it who will last you or audi , i would think that if it water damage your going to have a mold problem , you can't drive in unhealthy car . but do yourself a favor , don't buy another one , good luck
  • alexyazalexyaz Posts: 8
    Hi camps I have the same problem with my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. I haven't figured out why the engine bucks like that, but, the mancanic said that my timing belt is about to go. This was about a month and I didn't do anything to the car, not even fix my timing belt yet. However the bucking stopped?! What I did do, is eased the pressure on the gas pedal. I slowly lift my foot off of it and the engine didn't buck.

Does your car's cooling fan ever run when the car is off. I had this happened to me a couple of times and I cant figure out why. the fan is also LOUD. when the car stops at a light everyone looks at my green Audi not because it is cool looking, it is because the fan is running at full speed with the ac off. I had this car for one year and I just want to get rid of it. It is a fast, great handling car, but, it will take all the money out of your wallet. :lemon:
  • fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Owned the same car for 6 and a half years. Great driving and fantastic interior. Poor electrical and mechanical quality. Two sets of front rotors/pads, turbo went out at 98000 miles, even with mobilone oil changes every 5,000 from new. The car would have bankrupted me w/o the extended warranty plan. Stay away from Audi turbos at all costs! Have plenty of info for anyone considering or driving the 2.7T.
  • dm1212dm1212 Posts: 59
    I have an 05 A6 I bought it CPO back in 07. I had a loud popping noise coming from the car. They charged me 2 hours of diagnosing fee's which I thought was covered, at 130 dollars an hour. Turns out MY BERRING'S WERE UNGREASED. They charged me 190 dollars to put grease in them. Not to mention my sunroof motor visor has broken 3 times in 5 months. Also, I had it towed 2 years ago due to a "SOFTWARE UPDATE", the car wouldn't start.

Honestly, the car drives so nice when it isn't in the shop, and Quattro is amazing.

Within the next year I'm going to buy an A5 or an S4, but I hope I get lucky this time.
    WRONG.......not changing the audi transmission fluid will result in the "tiptronic" transmission going bad at 70,000 miles+. The fluid breaks down eventually.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    That may be so in the 2.7 T, but with the 3.0 a different transmission is used. This is information direct from Audi Corp. I will soon find out what happens around the 70k mile mark as my '04 A6 3.0 Quattro has close to 68k miles on it currently.

Now...I know from what I was told by Audi Corp., if the tranny goes bad due to fluid breakdown...they will be replacing my transmission since everyone affilitated with Audi, that I have spoken to, has told me that the transmission on the 3.0 Quattro does not require transmission servicing because it has lifetime fluid in it. They said if I didn't have the Quattro or if I had a manual transmission...it would be a different story. Again...this is what folks from Audi are saying.
    Dude I will deffently get that in writing. You dont want to go to the Audi dealership and find out that you need to make a $3000 repair.
    I think you're right about that.
    Audi and every other manufacturer are just plain wrong about "lifetime" fluids. All fluids break down eventually. Transmission fluid is transmission fluid, have it changed every 40 to 50,000 miles on the Audi. I now drive a Mazda Cx-7, and have the tranny fluid changed every 20,000 or so. Cheap insurance.
    I've questioned the whole "lifetime" fluid thing to be honest, but there's something that is allowing them to say that an stand behind it.

Finding a place around here to change the fluid isn't easy at all. I've gotta '06 Hyundai Azera and I changed the fluid around the 35k miles mark and plan on doing it again very soon as I am at 73k miles now.
  • slinea6slinea6 Posts: 1
    I just picked up an 04 A6 S-line and the headlights need to be adjusted up. is there an easy way to do this?
  • naz_a6naz_a6 Posts: 2
    Hey allmet33,
    My question is a few months after your Q but what the heck. I did a google search on this topic and stumbled on to your question. I was wondering the same thing, i have an '04' 2.7T that i just purchased and it looks exactly as you have described it. I had an '03' A4 about 3 years ago that had the same condition but i never looked into it. Any good responses?

Thx
    Naz_a6...

From my understanding, it's a setting that can be changed via computer at the dealer. Does your car have the HID headlights?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    I suggest you look at the gas you're using. All gas is not the same, I use Sunoco almost exclusively. I read a couple studies on gas quality and they are at or near the top. My second choice is Mobil. Avoid discount gas. I've had my A6 2.7T (6-speed) for 8 1/2 years. 104K and serviced every 5K. I really like this car with very few problems and I hate to part with it. But I replaced '94 SHO and I will be looking at SHOs again in a month or two.
    Ok I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T and recently the engine is not working right. after coming to a stop I will step on the gas and the gears wont get caught to turn the wheels. Instead the engine revs and the car rolls until the the wheels work. I am thinking this can be a transmission problem but I really dont know. Could it also be the timing belt?? please let me know if any of you encountered a problem like this before and if you solved it.
    sounds like the "tiptronic" 5 speed transmission is slipping. I would have the transmission fluid changed ( on the audi it is special fluid) and see if it improves.