Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• billodbillod Posts: 31
    Hello Folks,
    Last month I bought 2006 A6 FWD w/cvt. The car only had 16K miles and was serviced regularly at the original dealership. The 25K service was done when the car had only 9300 miles on the odometer. I spoke to the service mgr at the dealership and was advised that the car never had any svc issues. The Carfax checks out great. Now for my question. The cvt tranny is certainly different. It's not bad, it's just different. On the hwy it's smooth and gets great mileage, 31-33 mpg. From slow starts it feels a little "rubbery" and seems ackward. BUT, everything I have read, including talking to two different dealership svc mgrs, indicates that this is normal. This is my 3rd A6, but the first with a CVT. Is there any special maintenance required (beyond the Book requirements) and can the tranny hold up over the long term. I usually don't keep a car much more than 3 years or 40-50K miles. What do you guys think about this 2006 A6 with the CVT? Please advise. Thanks for your time and interest.
    Bill
  • jkaudia6jkaudia6 Posts: 77
    Hi Bill,
    I'm providing a link to a Wikipedia article on CVT (continues Variable Transmission) from Audi AG.
    Please take a few minutes to read it.
    When you get to the part about which Audi A6 models this transmission will work
    with, please note what it says about Quattro's.
    For your information "FWD" is different than " All Wheel drive" the Audi A6 Quattro
    having the later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitronic
    Is your A6 a Turbo-Diesel, Turbo-Gasoline, 3.2 liter V6 or 4.2 liter V8?
    Thanks
    JKAudiA6 :shades:
  • billodbillod Posts: 31
    Hello JK,
    My 2006 A6 has the basic 3.2 liter gas engine with the CVT tranny. I have been using Shell High Octane gasoline because I didn't know if the previous owner, who only drove the car 16K miles over 4 years, used high octane or a lower grade fuel. I wanted to be sure the engine got some good quality gas in case there was any sludge building up on the valves. As I said in my previous post, the car runs great, especially on the highway. Off the line and occasionally when changing from Drive to Reverse, there is some brief "slippage" or spooling up. I'm just hoping what I've been told is "normal" really is normal. When it does it's spooling up and slips into gear, can that slipping/slamming do any damage. Let me know. Thanks,
    Bill
    Re: For JKAudiA6 [billod]
    I just bought an A6 C6 Platform 2005 Quattro with a tiptronic Transmission.
    What I've read about the two types of transmissions is limited but what I did note is
    the following:
    1. The CVT (Continues Velocity Trans) is not offered in the quattro A6. It either comes with a Tiptronic.with shift paddles or the standard version with the gear shift in the middle consoled and no paddles. It shifts, feels similar to a CVT but there is a fundamental difference internally between the two and how they work. The primary difference being the CVT and it's Central Control unit (ECU) adapts to driver habit and road conditions and choose the appropriate gear ratios, within predetermined range, without the traditional shifting feel of a conventional Transmision. Conversely, the Tiptronic, when in automatic mode shifts up or down based primarily on application of pressure applied to the gas pedal. You should have three different modes, Automatic, Tiptronic mode (+/-) and Sports mode (S) which requires pressing the button on the gear shift handle.

As for your question about "Slipping/slamming" when changing from Drive to Reverse it depends. When you first start the engine in the morning, the "Cold Start" choke increases engine RPM's. Under that condition, when changing gears
    (Park to Reverse or drive) there may be a slight bump feel in the drive train. This condition is normal. If this same condition occurs after the engine has reach "Normal Operation" temperature", then I would say not normal. This may be caused because the engine idle (RPM's) is to high.
    Normal RPM at operational Temp's is between 600 to 800 RPM's, give or take.
    The other possibility could be a U-joint or velocity joint problem in the drive train assembly, but at that mileage I don't think so.
    As for spooling up in drive, during initial acceleration, I've noticed that as well. It also happens when releasing the brake and accelerating at the same time. I tend to think it's a Vacuum problem, a vacuum transfer lag. But to be honest, I don't know it the transmission has components which are vacuum dependent.

Finally, your driving with Premium Gas, 95 Octane or higher is what Audi recommends. But sludge is primarily caused by running inexpensive motor Oil, or a mineral based oil as opposed to a Full Synthetic. Volkswagen and Audi both are constantly testing and upgrading there list of recommended oils for there vehicles.
    I just parked my BMW after 287000 kilometers due to a blown head gasket. What I found when I pulled the Exhaust manifold was Black as Black Sludge can be in the Exhaust ports only. I mention that because I had used some Oil additives to keep the valves clean, thinking it would look just like the pictures in the advertisement, I was surprised. Here is a web address which explains clearly "The story behind the story" on Motor Oil, additives...........
    http://www.carbible.com/

Well, I hope this has been of some help regarding your questions & comments.
    Enjoy your new ride.
    Best regards
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Well...the other night, my wife was driving and she managed to find the one pot hole on the street that was major and hit it. As much as it jarred our teeth and had us wondering if the tire & wheel were damanged (or not)...the turn signals started working again. I'm assuming that some connection had worked loose or something and the jarring jolt the car took hitting the pot hole must have worked it back on. I'll still have them take a look on the next service visit.
    Greetings, "Akebono Mike (allmet33)

What can I say. We, my wife and me, had a BMW for 20 years, one car.
    She liked to drive it because it was small and she could see over the engine hood.
    Now we've got the A6, so I raised the drivers seat so she can she the road.
    After this winter in Germany, we've got more Pot holes than Golfers have putters.
    Yes we talked about that "Turn Signal" problem before. Well at least you know it's not a fuse, :blush: One of those problems with newer cars that have air bags in the steering wheel, you can't just pull the horn button off and remove the wheel without
    first deactivating the "AIRBAG". It could knock your teeth out, and that's allot different than running over a pot hole, my friend.
    Don't forget to mention the Relay to the service adviser when you go. It's one of those rectangular elongated enclosed boxes that clicks when the "Turn Signals" Work. Not sure where they are on the A6, my BMW had them under the rear seat
    but that was 1990.

Just a short side note: I've been searching the web for Akebono pads for A6 Quattro
    but they are no where to be found in Germany. One place in the U.S. but most don't have them for my model, got any suggestions???

Just watched a video on the "NEW Quattro Sports" differential setup on the New A6. Man that's some kind of Technical wonder. Check it out it's on the Audi.com or de web page under ahhhh, ahhhhh, New stuff (Audi TV) I think.
    Enjoy
    JKAudiA6...

The two places that I know of that have the Akebono pads online are Parts Geek & Auto Warehouse. Another one that's a bit pricier is Place For Brakes

Which particular model A6 do you have?

It's funny...now that the turn signals are working again, the doggone CD player is on the fritz now. The radio plays, but the CD changer is fully loaded and it doesn't recognize a single disc in it. Now I have an excuse to finally pull the bugger out and put the aftermarket unit in.

I'll check out Audi.com and see what they are talkin about too. :shades:
    Hey Allmet33,
    Thanks for the tip on Akebono pads, I'll check them out.
    I'm driving a July 2004/05 model A6 quattro 3.2 L.V6 with tiptronic.

1st. Have you listened to those CD's, that now don't play, before??
    If they previously worked then read on.
    As for CD/Radio, I don't remember which year or model your Audi is but IFhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autel-Maxscan-GS500-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Scanner-Code-Reader_W0QQi- temZ110397781796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item19b438- 7724
    This one is located in England but they are also available in the U.S.
    I'm not affiliated with them in anyway. Just info I'm passing along.
    Your other option would be Edmund's.com (See Tips & Service) in the menu bar of this page.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck
    JKAudiA6,

No problem & good luck. I think you're A6 is slightly newer than mine as I have the A6 Quattro 3.0L V-6 w/ Tiptronic.

As far as the CD's go...I'm not totally worried about it. The radio works and currently I have a wireless FM modulator hooked up so I can play my MP3 player. It would probably end up costing more to fix the OEM radio than it would to replace it with a good aftermarket unit anyways. I have one that I was planning on putting in there to begin with, now it just seems I'll be doing it earlier than anticiapted. In terms of losing the CD's...they were all burned CD's anyway...so no originals are lost.

Not sure what info you have, but the CD player is not located in the glove box. The unit I have has the 6-disc in-dash changer. It's funny because all this time it worked fine. However, the day after my wife hit the pothole...now it won't. The changer is full (6 discs), but when you press the CD button, after a few seconds...the screen says "No CD". If you press the load button, it says slots are full, but if you try to eject...nothing happens. Like I said before, it's not a big loss...I just get to get in there and upgrade the sound system like I had planned to begin with. :shades:

Thanks for the info though...you are certainly a cornicopia of information my friend!!! :D
    Allmett33,
    Well, thanks for the compliment, a pleasant surprise & enjoy conversing with you as well.
    Your certainly on the wright track with MP3 interface, larger capacity, same audio quality and much easier to expand the MP3 Library interfacing with a PC/Mac.
    Just one last point and I think this issue is covered. As an after thought; If all the lights are working on that CD changer in the Dash, power is there, the problem, as your most recent note explains, sounds like a mis-aligned laser, caused by the pot hole. For future references, I had this problem on a home Stereo unit from that Japanese, Company, (AHHHHH, Walkman). The CD player had power but could not orientate across the CD when "INDEXING" the individual tracks.
    I would be surprised if Audi did not have and exchange program, I know BMW has one. Your old unit plus a fee arrangement, (Rebuilt). Last but not least, there should be a release mechanism on that CD Changer similar to CD's in a PC. A small hole where you can, Gently push a paper clip in to, the CD drawer will then pop out, allowing you to pull it the remain distance to remove one or more CD's.
    Either the dealer or you can do this when the unit is removed. That is, the hole may or may not be visible from the passenger perspective. I could be on the back or bottom panel of the CD housing.
    Thanks again for the "PAD" info. I'll be getting to that shortly.
    Have a good one.
    Best regards
    JKAudiA6,

I'm pretty sure that the hard jolt from the pot hole was probably enough to cause the CD laser to mis-align and not function properly. As stated before...all the other functions on the unit work properly. As far as retreiving the CD's from the unit, I'll probably have to disassemble it a good bit to get them. The unit doesn't have a CD drawer that comes out, it's a slot load unit unfortunately.

It's really not a big deal because the whole plan was to replace the unit with an aftermarket unit anyway so I can upgrade the entire sound system to what I want and have the sonic control of the music I desire and currently lack with the OEM unit.

No problem on the pads either, I also found out that Akebono pads are sold through The Tire Rack
  • we have an audi a6 2008 awd, fully loaded... our check engine light has come on 3 times and we only have 7500 miles on the car... interesting it seems to come on when its due for scheduled maintenance... but our local dealership never can tell us why the light was on.... it's becoming very annoying.. anyone else with this issue?
    Greetings Chicagotiger

Your not fare from my home town of Milwaukee, WI.

OK, I'm going to keep this short as I usually get long winded.

There are over 500 pages of Fault codes for Audi and it's being updated continually.
    If you have a Service ticket from you dealer, find the "Fault Codes" on the service ticket. Then go to this web page ( http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes) and find the fault code, click on it and see what it says. If you don't have a service ticket for this particular problem or a fault code, Ask yourself why not.. :confuse:
    An Audi with just 7500 miles has not even reached the first service interval.
    This of course depends on which service interval program you've purchased.
    See your Service Booklet for the different service & mileage intervals.
    If your getting service notifications from the on-board MMI unit in the dash have the dealer reset the ECU/Service interval notification to reflect the proper service interval based on your current mileage. Check the service booklet that should be with your car, to see when the last prior service was completed by an Audi Dealership, not an independent, as they may have not of had the correct Diagnostic unit to reset the ECU/Service interval correctly, if at all.

As for the "Check Engine light" find that Fault CODE.
    I'm sorry, but with 500 pages of fault codes, even and educated guess would most likely be wrong.
    Now, if you like knowing what's up with your Vehicle, then get a "code Scanner" for your particular Vehicle. Here is one web address:
    http://www.auteltech.com/ The other being the one I gave you up top.
    These toys are to keep you informed and the dealers honest.
    Good Luck.
    Best Regards
  • jwrednwjwrednw Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 A6 and my transmission is beginning to slip. I inquired with a service tech about transmissions and she said they run fairly consistently around 80k miles. Has anyone had issues with their transmission? Wondering if it's time to trade-in and buy a new car. Thanks!
    Hi IWREDNW

What transmission did you say you had, I missed that part?????
  • jwrednwjwrednw Posts: 4
    Hi,

Have a 3.2 quattro tiptronic.
    Wait a minute...the service tech told you the transmission is fairly consistent for a mere 80k miles??? :surprise: I would be appalled to hear that personally. I've had a Hyundai Sonata I put 105k miles on with no tranny problems and a current Azera with just over 81k miles...again, no tranny issues. For Audi to be to technologically superior to a company like Hyundai...I would be scared to hear "fairly consistent for 80k miles" from an Audi service Tech.

On the flip side, I've also got an '04 Audi A6 Quattro (with tiptronic) and it's just now reaching the 80k mile mark. So far, no issues with it either. I am leery of the fact that everyone Audi is saying you don't service the tiptronic transmissions. So of course there's a bit of apprehension.

How many miles do you currently have on your '06?
  • a6200532a6200532 Posts: 1
    Newbie who loves his "new" used A6 but bought a lemon with 63,000 miles.
    I have the following group of problems that happen in cold weather only:
    Brake light and warning beep comes on when driving.....happened 3 times.
    Check engine light came one once.
    Power to CD changer would not go off after engine stopped.
    Radio would not play..happened once.

Is this one major central computer problem triggered by cold (below zero cold)? :lemon:
  • fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Audis--like every other car need a transmission fluid drain/refill every 30,000 miles or so. I used to drive a "00 A6 2.7T and the dealer said the fluid in the tiptronic transmission is LIFETIME. Then went and consulted with an experienced Audi independent and he claims that w/o fluid changes, he is regularly seeing tranny failures at the 70,000 mile+ mark because of worn out fluid. I don't see how any fluid could be LIFETIME especially in a transmission where the environment gets hot. I bought the A6 2.7T new and here is a list of things that went wrong until sold at 100,000 miles:

1.) air conditioning recharge
    2.) heater motor bearing
    3.)4 sets of front brake rotors
    4.)alarm system malfunction
    5.) driver's door lock fell apart
    6.) driver/passenger window frame collapsed inside door-twice
    7.) Secondary cooling fan burnout
    8.) leaking valve gaskets
    9.) leaking cam gaskets
    10.) twin turbo burnout at 99,000 miles
    11.) paint peel on lower section of car

This is besides normal maintenance items such as battery, tires, wiper blades.
    Would have went bankrupt on this car w/o the extended warranty. As far as I'm concerned, most of the things on this list should have lasted to 150,000 miles+ considering that the car was well cared for and serviced according to factory schedules along with mobil1 oil changes every 5,000 miles. These are lease type cars only--lease for 3 years under full warranty and then send back to dealer!
    Fonefixer...I am very skeptical in regards to the lifetime fluid. Currently my A6 Quattro has just over 81k miles and no tranny issues as of yet. The only issue I've encountered was my signal lights had stopped blinking, but a jarring hit via pothole seems to have corrected that issue. However, a new matter that has made itself known...CV joint noise. I'm just hoping that this repair will not be extremely costly.