Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
edited March 23 in Chevrolet
This is the place for discussion of all things Silverado!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    The war is OVER guys...

Time to get on with life.

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern).

This week the topic is Social Issues and the Automotive Perspective

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Did you order your tonneau cover yet?

Anyone with a "soft" tonneau uses that 303 protectant on it? I'm interested to know the results after a rain as it seems the protectant vanishes with the rain leaving vertical streaks on the quarter panels and tailgate as it departs the truck. Oh what a feeling....
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    have had it on for over a month now obyone

havent 303ed it yet
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    I use 303 and have noticed the streaks too. However I find if I apply a very light coat and wipe it off the streaks are not as bad. A slight streak on the paint maybe worth the UV protection for the cover.

I also have been using paint protection products from zaino bros. This familiar name offers quite the shine and may also contribute, in my case, to less streaks from 303.

Yup this forum is real quiet... Since the topic is Silverado I am just waiting for the Toyota boys to chime in with their comments.
    I'm wondering about its application. What I do is apply it to the cover, spread it out evenly with non-absorbant pad, let it soak in (30-60 min), wipe off residual leaving it looking brand new.

I used to spray it on lightly and wipe it off but it didn't give that "new" look. Either way though, a good rain will wash it off almost completely. Thought that to be a bummer cause at $25 a quart stuff isn't cheap. Then again, maybe its designed purposely to wash off easily.
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    Just stomped back in after a long layoff and saw Silverado XVXVIIILCMXI was gone, and something from PF about a war.

So, I'm guessing it got a little ugly. Too bad I wasn't here to watch the battle.

Always a day late....dang.

On the good side, I'm celebrating 13 months without a shop repair.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Welcome back....
    So the question is are you lucky enough to not have the Vortec Knock or Are you lucky enough to have the Vortec Knock ???

The question sounds redundant because GM says either engine is normal, LOL, so which do you have ???

I now have 29k knocking miles but love everything else about this truck. Gotta get them sunvisor extensions though the ride home is a killer with the sun low in the sky and out of reach of standard visor. GM designers were asleep at the wheel on this one.

Ray T.
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    Sometimes I hear it on start-up, usually I don't. So basically, no. Will still have to push the test button on the 100K warranty thing though, when I get time. It's a busy summer.

This place is quiet, civil, and free of Silverado-envy. Pretty cool.
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Posts: 43
    1) What is the fix for the bed box that is low on one side ? - 2002 rado ext 2x4 4.8 SB

2) After market shocks ( Bilstein-Edelbroc-Rancho 9000 ) ? - 2000 rado ext 2x4 5.3 SB BFG velvet shackles w/ride control and rear air bags.
  • I have had the lean since new too. Don't really want to take it in to the dealer. No other problems. Mine leans to the left 1-2 inches when unloaded, low fuel and no passengers. I may have slightly bent the springs this winter when loading firewood.
    (2001, 1500LS, X-cab, 5.3, 3.42, shortbed, 4x2, 13k miles)I am planning on installing Air Lift or Firestone bag springs to the rear. Then I could independently adjust pressure to correct lean. Plus I could keep the front tires on the ground during firewood season. Wanted a 2500HD but needed to drive to work every day too.

BTW, been averaging 19 mpg on my daily 80 mile commute. Very happy with that.
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    Used it a couple of times before winter set in; used the light spray on, wipe it in/on method. Didn't notice any streaking onto the paint, but agree it doesn't seem to last that long either.
    -- Don
  • mpalombompalombo Posts: 186
    So this is where everybody has been hiding...lol

-Mark
  • pyro49pyro49 Posts: 4
    Looking at Chevy ext. cab shortbox 4x4 1996. well taken care of but all it's got is A/c cruise and auto. and here's the kicker a 4.3 V6. Sitting on dealer lot for the last few months I guess nobody wants the V6. I drove a '95 with the 305 and it was a real slug. I think GM brought the vortec out in 96 did the V6 get the upgrade and is it worthwhile trying this truck with the V6 out???
  • rwagonerrwagoner Posts: 338
    I need tires. Originals were Generals on my '99 LT 1500. Rode fine, but seemed to wear out too quickly (27,000 miles for two, although a slightly bad alignment hastened their demise ... I figure that w/out the alignment problem the entire set would go about 32,000). I don't like to buy two tires.

Richard
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I had one, SWB 2wd, and on the flat it's fine. But you definitely tell it's a 6 when you come to a hill. Lost speed quick. '96 was notorious for water pumps or fuel pumps going bad. I forget which. The other problem I had was exhaust systems. I had three of them in the couple yrs. I had it and the guy that bought it made them put another on it. The vibration from the V6 would loosen up the guts in the muffler.
  • pyro49pyro49 Posts: 4
    The more info the better,I'm going to test drive it today. You don't go anywhere in my city without going up or down hills. It would mostly be used for city driving and trips to the cottage,but it's a short run. It's very difficult to find used trucks in my area this one is about the only one on the lot's that is a reasonable price,they are too popular here and you always pay a premium.
  • mcrmcr Posts: 15
    I used to have the streaking(the dreaded black streaks) down the side of my travel trailer. Cause was the crud on roof. I used Tilex Bathroom Mildew Remover or some such spray to clean the roof and awning then treated with 303. So far no streaks. The roof material is EDPM rubber and the awning is vinyl. Don't know how long it will last, but inst. says every 4-6 months re-apply. Seems like 303 is water soluble when still wet.
    is water soluble period!!!

Get it wet and it will wash off with plain water. Seems to me for $25 dollars a quart it should last a little longer. I guess it along with a lot of other things aren't what they are advertised to be.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    I haven't found 303 to be water soluble.

Obyone, did you spray it on, wait ~ 5 minutes and wipe off the excess? I do that, and don't have any problems with rain, dew, etc. Maybe it's because we have low humidity most of the time (dry California, not the Northwest or the coast).

Mike L
This discussion has been closed.