Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• bonreabonrea Posts: 48
    Thanks for the input. Yes the tire pressure was the first thing I checked but didn’t move the tires around yet. Sorry to here about the nut on the ball joint. Man that is serious stuff especially with the kids in the back. Not in the bed I hope…

The update is that the dealer determined that the tire is the problem with the left pull. So they have ordered (under warranty) a new one and will call when it is in. I’ll let you know how that goes. The hard shift for the transmission was solved via a computer update. It DID solve the problem. It did it hot or cold so now I need to test it and see how long the fix lasts. Nice and smooth now.

On another note; I have the Z71 w/towing package. What size trailer in tonnage is to much for this truck. The wife wants me to get us a camper but am a little dumb on just how to figure the GVW and stuff like that. I pull a small U-Haul box trailer once in a while but she is talking about a BIG boy now.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
  • I owned a 2001 Silverado 1500 LT which was just stolen. This truck had the security system but, that obviously did not help. It also had the OnStar system but, I did not renew subscription after first year. I called them and offered to sign back up if they could help with my stolen truck. However, they said someone would have to push the button from inside the truck to renew and they could not help me.

I have heard that the Silverado is one of the easiest trucks to steal. Does anyone know if Chevrolet has done anything to improve its theft deterrence? I am looking at trucks again and I just keep coming back to the Silverado when I compare them side-by-side. I want another Silverado but if they are that easy to steal, I may have to reconsider.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Posts: 283
    I actually hope that it is not found, because it will be more difficult to settle up for miscellaneous damages with the insurance company (assuming that you had theft coverage).
    Regarding onstar, a halfway knowledgeable thief will break off the antenna first thing - disabling the reception - so I would not feel too bad about not renewing this expensive, seldom used, service. Lojak might be a better investment for this purpose. However, my neighbor recently had his new Ford S Crew stolen and it had Lojak - ended up in Mexico (I live in AZ) and the police won't pursue a stolen vehicle down there. The best anti-theft device I have heard of is an old technology kill switch in a location only you know. I recently bought a new Sierra and the dealership said they installed a higher tech form of kill switch on all of their vehcicles and none have been stolen since.
    Any vehicle is easy to steal if you really want to steal it, so buy the truck you like and get a kill switch - check with local police and aftermarket alarm shops to get the best info on current anti-theft devices. IMHO, if someone wants to steal my truck I would rather have them steal it than deal with the damages they would leave behind in trying to steal it. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Got my 01 GM tow guide handy ! Need to know
    if x-cab or reg cab and rear gear ratio tho!
    Look in glove box for RPO code sticker
    G-80 is locker....Ratio should start with G too.
  • arzeearzee Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I own an older '93 2500 Silverado 4x4, that I recently purchased used. I've noticed that when I go at low speed that there are two black relays (I'm asuming they are relays) taped back to back under the drivers side dashboard that constantly click rapidly and intermitantly at low speeds. It seems to subside when I pick up speed and maintain a constant speed.

My door locks also keep locking and unlocking, but not at the same frequency of these relays. Does anyone know if these relays are related to the auto door locks. Are the doors supposed to lock automatically when the truck is put in drive, or just when I push on the lock button?

Any help in what the problem might be would be appreciated.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    Chev doors lock automatically when taken out of park. I have no clue what your relay might be.
  • Has anybody heard what changes will be made to the '04 Silverado?
  • The rebates will be lower until July of 04!! Really dont have a clue. Have not talked to anyone in Pontiac GM truck group for a while so I cant help ya. My 03 has several improvements over my 00, I dont expect much for 04. I do know they are working on on board nav systems for trucks for the near future. These nav systems will be standard for all LT models I would guess.
  • change for the 04 silverado is the addition of 17" tires & wheels. I am sure that this is offered as an option. I found a GM web sight on the Tahoe townhall talk that defines changes in the ordering code for new vehicles. The only significant thing for the new silverado was the offering of 17" tires and wheels. Time to buy??
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    awhile now. Don't see much difference between 16 to 17. They should offer the 20 like Dodge does. Course they would have to upgrade the brakes and charge and arm and a leg more as usual.
  • Also have had noise in dash. Dealer found it to be a defective Intermediate steering shaft. They have had this numerous times and have said that there is a tech bulletin out on this.
  • diablo4diablo4 Posts: 40
    Don't you think silverados will get a bump in HP to compete with the nissian titan and dodge ram with their hemi.The titan has i think 305 or 340 HP and like 370lbs. of torque.dodge has 345HP and 365lbs.So i think silverado needs to bump there HP from 300HP to 340 or 350 and 380lbs.Does anybody know if they are going to get a bump in HP.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    the 04 5.3 will have 295HP
  • diablo4diablo4 Posts: 40
    Thanks for the info.Do you know if the 6.0L will get a bump in HP.
  • fatladfatlad Posts: 3
    I have an 00 Silver ado 4.3 long bed, 2 wheel drive that shakes from 55 mph and on. I have read about a lot of the same thing in this forum, but haven't found an actual fix yet amoung all the pages. Can anybody help? Other than the bad vibration I have no complaints with the rest of the truck.
  • Could you please describe what the noise in the dashboard sounds like?
    What is the date of manufacture for your truck? The date is located on the driver's door.

There is a TSB out to replace the rack and pinion due to it causing the excessive vibration. Depending on the date of manufacture or VIN.
  • My '03 Silverado was built 4-03 in Canada.

I can hear something loose rattling in the dashboard area - primarily over bumpy roads.
    The date of manufacture is 9/99. The VIN is 1GCEC14W8YE169151. How do I find the TSB's that apply to my truck? I know nothing about TSB's.
    Here's a brief synopsis of the TSB.

Steering/Suspension - Front End Vibration

File In Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-004

Date: June, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Steering or Front End Road Induced Vibration
    (Install and Reinforce Revised Steering and Suspension Components)

Models:
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C1500 Pickup Trucks (Silverado and Sierra)

Built Prior to the VINs

Important: Canadian dealers require PRIOR District Service Manager approval to apply this bulletin.

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a steering wheel or front end vibration.

Cause
    Several components in the front end steering and suspension work in unison to isolate the driver from road irregularities and from road/tire induced vibration. If any of these components are not working effectively, it will affect the other components of the suspension and steering system. Tire and road vibrations may be transmitted to the passenger compartment and steering through the rack and pinion unit. Additionally, the mounting points of the steering rack on the front frame crossmember may be amplifying any road vibrations.

Correction
    In order to dampen unwanted vibration from the steering wheel, the following revisions must be preformed:

^ The tires must be in accordance with Corporate Bulletin Number 99-03-09-002 published August, 1999.
    ^ The steering rack must be replaced with a revised rack.
    ^ The left front steering rack mounting point must be reinforced.
    ^ The lower control arms must be replaced with units incorporating a revised bushing.
    ^ The power steering (PS) pump metering valve must be replaced with a revised fitting.

If you want the rest of the TSB including the VIN that are included for it, email me. My addy is in my profile.

Even though my VIN didnt fall within the specified VINs, the district manager authorized this work done on my truck. Service manager, service advisor, and myself agreed on the test drive after that the TSB that was performed made a world of difference.

Is you truck still under warranty? BTW, TSB means Technical Service Bulletin which are issued to the dealer's service department to aid them in diagnosing problems.
    The info is wonderful! I went to the tsb section and everything was explained, recalls and tsb's! Thanks for your help!
  • bsilerbsiler Posts: 30
    According to the owners manual you can go 10.000 miles before the oil is changed. I've always changed oil and filter at 3.000 miles. My partner has a 2002 Duramax and he changes his at 5.000 miles. I'm just wondering why GM says go that far.

Oboyne thanks for the information on the build date
  • Probably in the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me what the meat of the TSB 02-07-30-030 is for this issue? Of course, my dealer has never heard of the issue!
  • balichbalich Posts: 62
    I got a '03 5300 Silverado .. I purchased it in
    DEC '02 .. I got 4300 miles on it and my CHANGE
    OIL LIGHT has not come on yet ..

The vehicle is 8 months old - relative low
    mileage 4300 miles ..

Should I wait for the light to come on or should
    I change the OIL ASAP ?

Thoughts ??
  • tommy42tommy42 Posts: 70
    Transmission shutter 1- 2shift. Vibration,slip,chuggle.Install generator voltage sense circuit. 2001-2003 Chev/Gmc trucks with 4L60 transmission. TSB came out Oct 2002.
  • stef7stef7 Posts: 22
    You really should change your oil ASAP, specially the first time. You will notice that the magnet on the drain plug will be covered with small particules of metal, which is normal for the first few oil changes. I did mine at 500 miles and then every 3000 miles. I think that frequent oil changes are the key for the longevity of an engine.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    if after your factory warrenty expires they come out with a TSB for your truck do you still have to pay for the repairs even though its a known factory problem???
  • It depends. A lot of times there are what is known as "secret warranties" that will cover the cost of known problems even after the original warranty has expired. Trouble is, the manufacturers don't advertise them, so you have to ferret out the information from other sources.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    They sure do....esp. if its a NHTSA recall !

My friend just got GM to replace her wiper motor (circuit board)and a 4 wd item on her 95 GMC Jimmy.

Its funny tho...I read here and elsewhere about the wiper motor circuit board recall being pushed back to 95? or so. I called dealer. Of course they played DUMB ! I called GMC direct with the vin# and NO problem sir we have 2 recalls on this truck numbers yada, yada. Please write them down and make appt. at dealer. Fix for FREE!
    COOL !!!!!!!!!!!
    The reason they said she didn't get a recall notice is they had her old address from when she bought it new. I gave them her new one.
    I would love to buy it from her... it don't have a scratch on it and LESS than 50K miles..............geo
  • have 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 4WD--ever since purchasing the trans intermittently bangs between upshift from 3-2, and also clunks from downshift from 2-3. Have been to the dealer twice, they reporgrammed the computer. They think they know what the problem is (talk about the TSB issued).......but its still there....any help?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.