Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• Post 235 - Nice setup and I liked your slide show.
    Post 241 - Where is Monarch Pass?

I have a 4x4 8.1/allison 3.73 rearend extended cab long bed and am very happy with it. Haven't pulled anything to speak of, so don't have much to contribute to Black Silvers question. I really haven't had it heavily loaded (less than 8000 gross), but it certainly don't slowdown on any of the Montana, Idaho, or Washington passes with that weight. Gas mileage is 10 when using it locally, and 13 to 14 one the road - mostly 13.5. I love it. Big difference compared to the 8mpg I get in my F250 with a 351.
    cowboyjohn
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    Thanks for the compliments on our setup!!

Monarch pass is on Highway 50, west of Salida, Colorado. The front side of the pass is very steep, but the back side (west side) is even steeper, the speed limit is only 35 which I was just able to do and is also very twisty, so you loose momentum slowing down for the sharp curves.
    Very beautiful up there, though!!

Bob
  • I have been considering purchasing a 2002 Silverado Ext Cab 1500 pickup for quite some time. I have always thought that GM makes the best truck, mechanically, and figured that the old boys in Detroit just need to hire a creative artist so they can now make a good looking truck. Looking at the 2003 model they must still be interviewing for the position as it looks like they just stole from the Avalanche. This shows lack of creativity at the very least. But now, after hearing of engine knocks, and PVC valve replacements and Slip yoke problems and steering wheel issues and worse, GM dealerships and their "That's the way the truck is" attitudes, I've decided to steer clear of buying the truck. Too many concerns regarding workmanship and the company standing behind their product. I've owned Honda's for the last 15 years and their build quality and service is something I've become used to. But alas, they don't make trucks and after reading this site I don't kknow if I want to deal with the possibility of getting stuck with a lemon. Can anyone tell me if they feel like the Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab is a good and dependable auto purchase?
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    My 2001 Silverado LS, 1500, Z-71, 5.3L, loaded, etc. has been a good dependable truck. After 21 months and 16,000 miles it has never been in the shop, because I've had no recalls or problems that needed to be fixed. I do have an occasional creaking of the extra cab doors when the cab is flexing from driving on uneven terrain, and I do have the occasional 15 sec cold start ticking in the engine. But other than those things I'm 99.9% happy and satisfied with the truck. And from my personal experience, I wouldn't think twice about buying this truck all over again, I'd do it in a second.
    -David
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    30,500 and cant be happier

2000 ext cab Z71 5.3 3.73
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    new Monarch Pass road?
    -- Don
  • Quality is not the current focus for GM.
    We have multiple issues and get blown off regularly by the Corporation and it's dealers on our 2001 crew cab.
    You pay the money...you take your chances.
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    Don,

hehehehehe, That would be the new Monarch Pass road. One of these times we plan to make a trip up there just to go over the old dirt road Monarch pass, just to say we did it and see what it is like. Have heard it is passible with a full size, any experience???

Bob
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    I've got 60K+ on my two Silverado's (most of these miles are with a 2000# load), and my dad has 50K+ on the two Silverado's(half the miles towing a 6000# trailer) he's had. All reasonably troublefree miles. The only issues have been minor and the dealers have fixed them immediately.

A good dealer may be more important than the exact truck you buy.

Mike L
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    Last time I was over old Monarch Pass was about 10 years ago. At the time I was driving a seriously built S-10 Blazer. But, unless something's changed dramatically, a stock full-size anything shouldn't have any problem. Nice picnic spot.
    -- Don
  • What I'm towing, both engines can handle. I only tow about 8 times a year. My concern is fuel economy when not pulling anything (96% of the time). I hear the diesel gets about 18, what about the 6.0 w/ 4.10. How does it do? Thoughts?
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    01 2500 xcab 4x4 ld here. 6.0 auto, 4:10s
    Tow on occasion 32 ft boat, 28 ft
    camper. Upstate NY ...tonneau cover , AC
    on,loaded down, 10 mpg..Snowplowing ,
    running constently 8 mpg. Banging around
    town unloaded, ac on 13-14mpg. Highway
    unloaded, ac , cruise on.. Best 18 mpg
    ..........geo
  • Mike L,

Thanks for the advice. I took off the rear shocks as you suggested and drove around the block. They were the source of the squeek, and it turned out the top mounting bolts weren't tight enough. I gave them another 3/4 turn or so and now all is quiet. That was an impressive squeek though - truck sounded like a WWII tank.
    My 6.0 4x4 has averaged 14-15 since new - all of those miles are loaded with a popup camper. I would expect 17-18 empty.

But, even if the 6.0 only got 15mpg you would be hard pressed to ever pay for the diesel upgrade with fuel savings. Diesel - $4K + Allison tranny $1K = $5K. Factor in the additional maintainence of the diesel and you usually have to drive 100-150K miles to break even. If you plan on keeping the truck that long, or you plan on towing heavier loads, the diesel might make sense. Until then, you're money ahead to drive the 6.0.

Mike L
    Just ran across this site:

http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html

It lists, by country, most of the automotive museums in Europe. If you are going to visit, print the lists for the countries you will visit ahead of time.

Mike L

• My fifth wheel that I have now is pushing 8000lbs. If one day I ever decide to upgrade to something around 10k, I may want to go with the diesel.
  • I've got a 2002 2500HD, and in my admittedly biased opinion, Chevy made a mistake eliminating the distinguishing hood design from the '03 HD's. A 1500 now looks no different than a HD, and I kind of liked it when there was a difference. Any other thoughts out there?
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Agree. I also have an '02' HD and wouldn't trade straight across for the same thing in an '03' for that reason. I do like some of the improvements though. BTW, anyone have or know anyone with 4W steering? And did composite beds ever actually hit the street?

-David
  • Yes, I saw one yesterday after I bought my 02 1500HD Crew. Plastic bed outside with a VERY hard bed inside. The thing will definatly not ding up. The only way the bed will be hurt is if it cracks/breaks. I like it, good option to get. Wish I would've.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I may be wrong but the composite bed is only available on 1500 Z71s
  • In reference to messages 200, 202 and 203 of this post.
    "This is information only"
    I Brought the truck in to the dealer for the replacement of the "improved" nickel plated slip yoke. Problem still there. There is no significant difference with the improved yoke compare with the old.
    ...Canayjun64
    New 03 Chevy Quad steers---$27xxx adv. in
    Syracuse paper today.........
  • I had my '00 4x4 ext cab 1500 in about 2 mo. ago for the popular clunk that is heard when you step on the gas, especially after either having been braking, or turning. They lubed the splines of the shaft, which worked for about 2 weeks.

I've read a lot of posts on this, and the original fix by GM was to replace the output yoke with a new nickel yoke. I was told by the svc.mgr. that they aren't doing this anymore, because GM says it's an inherent noise. In other words, they don't know what causes it, so they've thrown up their hands.

I just checked alldata, and the TSB for replacing the yoke is still there, so I'm going to show it to the svc.mgr.
  • I have what sounds like a lifter tapping at idle only. When you step on the gas, it goes away. Anyone else have this? I didn't see any TSB's for it, so it's probably an isolated thing. I'm using the correct oil viscosity and it's not too full or too low (3 things that can cause the noise).
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Go here to learn more about your lifter tap, you may be surprised... http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/

There is also a discussion board in here under GM Engine Knock

Ray T.

What your hearing is the fuel pulsing thru
    the fuel rails and injectors ! Not lifter
    tap....Took mine in for that and cold start
    knock ! Mechanic whipped out stethoscope
    and sho' nuff it was the fuel system.
    Now the cold start knock thats another
    story although now thats its summer the
    cold start knock went away !....geo
  • jimtncjimtnc Posts: 36
    I've been trying to find the OEM 235/75-16 tires that came on my truck, but no one carries them...can be ordered, but not on hand. Has anyone run into this and what did you do? Would appreciate your thoughts. Apologize if this is wrong forum. Thanks.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    go one size bigger....245/75R16
  • jimtncjimtnc Posts: 36
    that's what I was thinking also. Would there be any problem keeping 235's on the back and new 245's on the front (same axle) for a couple of months until I can get the other two? Shouldn't affect driving, should it?
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    That is not recommended, you could throw off the handling, braking charicteristics by doing so, why only buy 2 if you need 4 ?? If you must, put the larger size tires in the rear till you can replace the fronts with same size.

Ray T.
This discussion has been closed.