Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

350 Hemi, High Output Cummins

2»

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    How did this thread get so far off topic?!?!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Everybody's got some anecdotal story about transmissions. Around here there seems to be a higher propensity of failures on the Power Stroke autos. My daughter rides horses and the Power Stroke owners don't seem to be very pleased with the automatic transmissions.

I've heard of one Dodge diesel and 4 or 5 GM's failing. I personally know one Dodge diesel owner and at over 200,000 miles his transmission is going strong. I know two Chevy diesel owners and one had a torque converter failure early on but other than that they've been good.

Dusty
  • The new B series Cummins engine is reported by the manufacturer to put out more than 300 hp and 540 ft.bs of torque. With the new injection system it is estimated to be about 40% quieter than the 2002 version. If this is true and the new transmission design works out; this should take over the market place! The previous transmission failures that I've seen were not of the "catastrophic" type. I'm sure that an analysis of the problem would reveal that replacement of te failed parts would correct the problem. Most ransmission shops don't like their tech's taking up that kind of time when they can sell you a rebuilt unit installed in less than half the time and move on to the next customers vehicle. I do know of a shop in Huntinton Beach, CA. that will pull the Mopar Auto, modify it and reinstall it. Those who have done this have not been reporting failures.
  • sawdinsawdin Posts: 5
    First off, great board! Any guesses what the new HO 5.9L Cummins Diesel will get for gas mileage? Also, what are people getting with the current 5.9L for mileage.

Thanks,

Dino
  • Message to sawdin. I spoke to the Dodge Truck Zone rep inmy area and he says his staff has been using two of the new updated Cummins 5.9 and have reported consistent highway numbers of 21 mpg and as high as 24 mpg. Thats unloaded in the central valley area of California. He says the mountain road experience is about 17-19 mpg. There are two issues of this engine. The 49 state version and the California version. (Reminiscent of the gas engines) and the non-California version out does the other in horse power, torque and fuel economy. Does that help?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ....well, it's been almost a year.........

It looks like 22 MPG for the latest edition of the 24v Cummins B series would be a fair call.

Any new fuel efficiency for the Cummins avail?

best, ez
2»
This discussion has been closed.