Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to find a quality salesperson

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .... I forgot to mention ...

That "is" the #1 reason for turnover in this business .....

Terry.
  • In the begining of your career, yes you have to do the 60-70 hour work week. I would always laugh at the GPs who would leave right on time on the early shift, and ask when they could have a day off.

Now that I am more established and more organized (I am using that term loosly) I work my shifts, unless I have an appointment or I sell a car late. I have noticed, sitting watching an empty parking lot while I should be off does not make me sell anymore cars. It stills equates to about 50 hours a week.

Until I started working HI-Line, I did not have much of a social or love life. Some guys had a problem with the hours and me working with all guys. Its a hard business for young people these days (I am not old though) because of the theory of "instantanious gratification" because alot of the real young GPs expect to make 10k their first month w/out putting any work into it.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Its a hard business for young people these days (I am not old though) because of the theory of "instantanious gratification" because alot of the real young GPs expect to make 10k their first month w/out putting any work into it.

I think that it is a hard realization (or rude awakening) for a lot of young people that "being successful" in any business rarely is a 9-5 proposition. (That is also a reason why I don't sit and worry whether or not I will have a job next year.)

You have to be there when the customer is available.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Hi guys I'm back on edmunds after my 6 month absence. Good to see familiar names still around.

I switched dealerships, but then came back to my original one, dad had leukemia, and he beat it for now; and I got engaged to my sweetie which I met when she bought a car from me 1 year ago! So I was quite busy!

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Welcome back boomcheck. Glad to hear your dad is o.k as well as your sweetie agreeing to marry you.

I asked out a girl who sold me my second vehicle. I picked her up at her house to go out on a date, and her 4 year old son said, "My mommy doesn't want to go out with you". Well... he was right. I called her back after the first date. She said she was getting back with her former boyfriend. :blush:
    thanks

I met my fiance through her then boyfriend. He bought a car from our dealership but I ended up helping him cause he didn't like the salesman he dealt with. Then he brought my now fiance in who bought her car, then they brought her dad in who also bought a car from me, and finally her then boyfriend brought in 3 of his friends in the course of 6 months who also bought cars from me. They ended up breaking up, and the rest is history. We hooked up last October and got engaged in mid September this year. ;)

• Now that is funny.
    Yeah, what was funnier is going to her house and seeing her dad. A little akward at first, switching from the salesman mode to "I'm dating your daughter mode"

• jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Isn't that carrying the concept of "Service After the Sale" a bit far?? :D
    She's the one that contacted me, and started flirting with me. Trying to hook up with customers is usually not my thing. But it happens in the business every once in a while.

• Someone trying to revive this topic???
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    Lol, this guy is just trying to advertise sites. Fun stuff. Keep it up, Stick. Good luck in your new ventures!
    I guess nobody has a problem finding a quality salesperson anymore.

• jmbkljjmbklj Posts: 19
    How can I choose my sales person? All too often when I visit a dealership, I am approached immediately by someone, and it may be someone I don't appreciate doing business with. Then I'm stuck with whoever approached me first. How can I choose who will receive that commission? Since I am the customer, how can I choose who to do business with? Is that possible? I don't really have friends who bought the brand of car I want to ask for a referral.

I don't like overbearing pushy sales people - the kind you think about from years past. Unfortunately, in my town, they still exist and sometimes their supervisors are even worse than the sales rep, so speaking to one of those supervisors can be unpleasant. What's unfortunate is the largest dealership with the largest selection of cars I want to buy still uses some of those old school tactics. I dread walking in there. Even making a phone call can be unpleasant and a long drawn out process, when all I have is one simple question to be ansered. For the model I want to buy, do you have any 2008 vehicles yet? A simple yes or no was all that I was looking for. No wonder people prefer to deal over the internet!

But back to the real question, how can I choose the sales person I'd like to work with?
    Imo, I think this is one of the most important parts of your car purchase. Most of the complaints about sales are not the cars.....it's the people! So wouldn't you want to test drive your salesman as well?

Here's my advice. Call into the dealership. Have a conversation with one of the salesguys and let them know what you're looking to purchase. You should be able to read a lot about those folks from that phone call. Are they kind? Patient? Knowledgeable?

If you simply walk into the showroom, you run the risk of talking to someone you may not like or want to work with.

Great question!

-Moo
  • mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,648
    I think she's saying how do I dump the bad one without the new one having to split the deal. Giving the guy she wants to work with a fresh up with no split (possibly better for her).

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I actually scanned a little too quickly. I didn't see that she didn't like the phone call approach either. I think it's the best though. You don't have to be married to that salesperson, if you don't like him, you can hang up.

I really think that's a great approach to finding a salesman that you like.

It maybe in her (?) presentation as well. If you call up a dealer and ask if they have a specific model, take that time to see if you would like to work with that salesman as well. Don't make it too hard!

-Moo
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    It is probably easier to change your car-buying method then it is to find the perfect sales person.

I used to have a hard time with car sales people. I changed my method and now I love dealing with them.

Remember, you are there to get your questions answered, not to answer their questions. Therefore, you can ignore any of the questions you are asked.

Don't ever argue with a sales person. If you don't like the sales person, walk away and talk to someone else. No explanation needed.

If you have a definite plan when you go to the car dealer, you will enjoy the experience much more.
  • jmbkljjmbklj Posts: 19
    bobst, you are so right. Whether it's on the phone or in person, they like to drill you with questions when all they need to know is that a) I have no trade in, and b) there will be no financing, and c) that is how I bought my last 3 vehicles so I am not blowing smoke. I am upfront about the business details for the transaction so I hate it when they ask other questions about my life. It has no bearing on the business transaction. I am not there to make a new friend.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. :)
  • micosilvermicosilver Posts: 212
    I think referral is the best way to find a salesperson.
    Ask your friends, family, go online to the specific brand forums - get a recommendation in any way you can.
    Make sure the salesperson knows you have been referred and by whom.
This discussion has been closed.