Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to find a quality salesperson

1234568»

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,020
    "...how can I choose the sales person I'd like to work with?..."

Well you can line all the sales staff up against the wall and go down the line and slap each one in the face.

If the person slaps you back you don't want that one. He/she is obviously too aggressive. This salesperson won't give an inch in negotiations. :mad:

If the person starts to cry and falls to the floor you don't want that salesperson either. He/she has no backbone and won't fight with the Sales Manager to get you a good deal. :cry:

You want the salesperson who raises his/her hand to strike you and then pauses and says: "If you take the extended warranty you can slap me again!" This is a person who wants to make a deal. ;)

Or you could just do what Bobst said.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    Excellent advice. We have actually just incorporated this into our meet and greet. Unfortunately, some of the greenpeas have realized what it takes to be chosen. Obviously we need to tweak the system.

We now use a battery and two clamps attached to each salesman's nipples. People can realize true pain now. And we actually see who has the backbone and who wants the deal.

Good business for sure.

-Moo
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Oddly I was just threatening this to a co-worker the other week.

I wasn't going to just attach them to his nipples though. :mad:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Oddly I was just threatening this to a co-worker the other week

Anytime there is someone wanting to attach a set of battery cables onto another mans pills ( :cry: ) ... there has got to be a good story behind it?
    Not really just my old UPS management personality bleeding through when I get frustrated with someone who should have been let go long ago.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    We had a sales guy approach us as soon as we got out of the car (which I hate), but he ended up being pretty good.

We knew which model we wanted, but were a little unsure of the color and trim level. After getting in the first car for the test drive, the sales guy immediately asked 2 "qualifying questions" that I was able to shrug off. The first thing he asked was if we had a price range we were looking to be in, and I responded with, "No, we are just looking for a vehicle equipped with the things we feel to be most important.", and we proceeded to go over our list of got to have items.

The second question he asked was what monthly payment I was looking for, and I responded with, "I am looking to buy a car, not a monthly payment. If you give me a great price, and the special financing offer from the manufacturer, I will get the monthly payment I want.".

After this, he happened to make a comment about football, which started a friendly debate about which of our favorite teams was better, and a little friendly trash talk, and pretty much ended all of the qualifying questions. He really hustled, and opened up 5 different cars (color/trim combinations of the same model), and we were able to settle on 1 we liked. I guess the thing that impressed us the most, was that my wife was having a hard time deciding on a color. This guy drove us around his lot, even to the very back where some new cars had just come in to make sure she had seen every color/trim combination they had.

When we went inside to negotiate, he found out my wife was in the medical field, and the whole conversation revolved around her giving him advice about a condition he was having. He pretty much just relayed offers back and forth between us and the sales manager, and he and I never actually debated. We really didn't even talk about the deal - mainly off topic stuff.

I guess my point is that it seemed at first that this guy was going to be one canned line after the other (and I was even waiting for the 4 square to come out), but it ended up being a good experience. We didn't grind - worked out a deal in 15 minutes, and he will get all "excellents" on the survey (I promised him that before he even brought it up).
    You ran into a good salesman. It's nice to have, huh?

A good salesman MUST qualify a customer. It's his job. He knew he had a deal and stuck with it. His qualifying questions, though shrugged off by you, gave him all the information he needed. You were buying something!

-Moo
    Yup and after he confirmed you were a real buyer with the up front questions he broke all the ice and made you feel comfortable with the football questions.

Do you have football stuff in your car or maybe a bumper sticker or did he just make a good guess?
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    1. He greets you before your car stops moving, in doing this he shows that he is eager to help you. In the process he gives an elbow to the face of of one of his fellow sales people and trips another. This is just another sign of his eagerness to help and wants to ensure that you are not exposed to one of his less qualified co-workers.

2. His dress: White paten leather shoes, wide white belt, dress slacks, a white shirt, and a tie with cars on it and a hint of the ravviolli sauce from lunch 3 days ago. But most important check out the amount of gold he has on. If he only has a wedding ring and nothing else, run, run away quick, he is obviously a failure at his chosen profession. Now if he has 4 rings, a gold bracelet, and enough gold necklaces to qualify as Mr. T starter kit then you have found your man.

3. Conversation: Make sure he speaks only to you and does not even honor your wifes presence with a hello. But when he does eventually speak to her make sure he calls her, honey and darlin and only ask for her opinion when it comes to color. Every one knows buying a car is mans business and a women should not have to worry her pretty little head about it. Especially when you start talking about the money.

4. Make 110% sure that within 5 minutes of you looking at the first car these words come out of his mouth, "If I could get you a great deal would you buy this car today" This needs to happen before the test drive, actually it is best if it happens before he ever gets a key to open the door. This shows he is eager to get you done quickly, we all know your time is valuable.

5. After the sale: the way you will really know that you have found a winner and have been helped by the best they got is after the sale. When you get home you notice the floor mats are missing and you only got one key so you give him a call. After 3 days he does not return your calls. This shows that he is a great salesperson because he is helping so many customers in the manner he helped you that he does not even have time to call you.

But here is the icing on the cake that proves you got the best in the biz. You go to the dealership to get your key and floor mats and when you pull up your professional salesperson greets you and says, "Welcome to Sell and Forget Motors can I help you"? That proves he is so intent on taking care of a new customer he can't even remember you.

These are just a few of the things that show you how to get the best.

* Oops the 80's just called me, they want there stereo type back. :D
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    I forgot one other crucial point.

His Business Card: Hopefully when you hands you his card it has the name of another salesperson scratched out and his name written in. This proves two things.

1. He is trying to keep overhead for the store down by not wasting cards

2. He is environmentally conscious.
    ROFL!!! Nice post.

;)

-Moo
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    "Do you have football stuff in your car or maybe a bumper sticker or did he just make a good guess?"

He happened to make a random comment about his favorite football team and it went from there.

My point was that when I saw him approaching the car when we first pulled in (before we even stopped), I expected the worst - and even expected I wouldn't be able to deal with a store like this. But, in the end, it was enjoyable.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    ROFL>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Joel, that is absolutely hilarious. Please, please just copy & paste it into your blog so that more people will see it. My spleen hurts from laughing.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• micosilvermicosilver Posts: 212
    One more key phrase:
    Once he's proven he knows nothing about the car you are interested in he has to ask:
    "What can I do to earn your business?"
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,068
    That's because they all read "Stories From the Frontlines".... which if you read through all the posts that you can pretty much put together what makes a good quality salesman.

If any of the stores that they work at were near me and I was in the market for the brand they sell, I would probably go to their stores over another. Most of the salesman that post over there I would presume have a lot of the things that make up a "quality" salesman.

Of course they are still salesman and still need to make a living so I would expect that they would still do their job and make as much money as possible in each sale ;)
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.