Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars

Comments

• alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    How much should the air temperature drop from ambient after going through a car air conditioner ?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,063
    The drop depends on the ambient temperature, the humity of the air, and the heat of the sun. The factory service manual gives a chart of the expect temps at the CENTER dash outlet.If you have a thermometer from an auto store meant for AC, stick it int he center outlet and drive. Unless the sun is very strong and the humidity is very high, I'd expect it to show about 60 after many minutes of steady driving with the fan on medium speed. I have not checked the manual.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    I wonder if a 25 degree F drop in an average day ambient of 88 degrees F is about normal ?
  • pashukopashuko Posts: 3
    my a/c doesnt work or doesnt trow the air cold when am stop or on parking it a 2003 montana pontiac
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,238
    Could be a nunber of things, one quick thing to check is the condition of the cabin air filter(s) if so equipped.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    or your ac is marginally effective.

- to little, or too much freon
    - compressor weak
    - obstruction in the freon flow
    - engine idling too slow
    - obstruction in the air flow thru the 'radiator' (will keep it simple here), or radiator/ac fans not working.
  • Somewhere I read that the intake vents (near the windshield wipers) need to be kept clear of snow and ice. I would think that if you were satisfied with using the "recirculating air" mode it wouldn't matter. Is there something I'm not taking into account ?
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Generally, the recirculating mode is not recommended to be used for long periods of time, as this allows the cabin air to become stuffy. So you want to use external air most of the time, which means your intakes should be kept clear of debris.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    You must not have a pet, or an uncle Louie that let's one loose every couple mins.
  • Its simple to check it. You should have 2 water lines going inside to the heater core. Feel each line. Are they both warm, hot? Its simple to check from there. air
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    If a hose has been bad and/or left loose for an extended period, does the contamination ruin all the components in the system?

I recently purchased an '85 exotic car that had been in storage for a few years. Seller did extensive work and maintenance on the car to put it back in service but said the AC didn't work because the orig hoses were bad. He had removed the compressor belt. It turns out that a hose fitting on the compressor was also left completely disconnected; probably when the timing belts were replaced a year ago. I figured on new hoses and a rebuilt compressor, but should I expect to replace everything...evaporator, expansion valve, etc.?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    No. If you plan on replacing the hoses anyway I can't see how the other parts would have become contaminated. The receiver/dryer will need to be changed out also since it's probably absorbed a lot of ambient moisture. If in doubt the entire system can be flushed out prior to evacuation/recharge.
  • lance1980lance1980 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant and i am having AC and Heating Issues for example: When I turn on the AC it will work for a little bit then stop working, sometimes if I let it don't run it for a while the AC will come back on. On rare occasions the AC never kicks on at all....When I run my heat...the heat never gets Hot like it use to when the car was newer...It is warm / lukewarm....I am not sure if these issues would be related in any way...Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
  • shekire4shekire4 Posts: 9
    I am having problems with my 97 Honda Passport.The problem is with the blower to my heat and air.I can feel heat and air coming out but the blower is not working.Can anyone tell me what to do.
  • jgiannajgianna Posts: 2
    Guys
    1992 Crown Vic. Air condition blows cold air then will blow warm,turn off air and wait 2 min
    sometimes it goes back to cold. Sometimes the air is fine for the whole ride.
    Any clues? Thanks in advance
  • wcubby2wcubby2 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2004 ford explorer that when in idle or park for any length of time the a/c starts blowing HOT air and when driving it cools down but doesn't blow as hard or as cold as when i first purchased it. the a/c is charged,I changed the thermostat, I can hear it kick in but it's sure not blowing cold air it's new 50/50 but no matter what i do. hot air, I live in az and it's cooler outside the car than in it. can you help?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,502
    first guess would be low refrigerant, then faulty compressor clutch, then faulty expansion valve (if your system uses one).

• bdymn67bdymn67 Posts: 2
    drivers side is cool but passengers side is hot. how to repair?
  • bdymn67bdymn67 Posts: 2
    when first cranked up in am both ide cool but after warming up drivers side is cool but passengers side is hot
  • i have a 2003 chevy silverado with the dual zone climate control heating and air conditioning. last year i couldn't turn off the recirculation button.... several months later, i was only able to get heat if I cranked the temp up to 90 degrees... from 89 degrees and below.... it was straight air conditioning. this morning the blower just simply quit... is it the control panel gone bad?? or something else? I really like my truck but this is nuts!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Try checking on ebay for a new/used control panel. They are plug and play so an easy DIY.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,263
    might as well ask here.

Son at college has a 2000 Acura TL. He said (last year I think but told me in the summer!) that the heat did not work. Plenty of AC, so something is working.

I won't see the car until thanksgiving, but looking for ideas. He did seem to have heat the first year we had it *2008) and probably after that.

I will read the manual and fiddle with the auto CC (I hate those things) to see if he just screwed up some setting, but I dread having to take this some place to get debugged. Can't imagine it is that easy to do!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Before anything else check the coolant level.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,263
    thanks. we just had that changed in the summer to get the car ready for another winter up north. But will certainly check that too.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    1. Are the HVAC fans working (blowing air) when heat is called for?
    2. Is the engine coolant up to temperature?

Sounds like it may be the valve that lets heated coolant flow into the heater core. If so, that could be the valve itself, or the signal that controls it.
  • hey that was really helpful and i would like you to visit www(dot)equilibriumac(dot)com
  • I HAVE A 99 INFINITY QX4 AND WHEN I TURN ON MY AC/HEAT IT COMES ON BUT DOESN'T BLOW. I FIND THAT WHEN I DRIVE AT A CONSTANT SPEED (I.E. ON THE HIGHWAY) IT BLOWS OUT AIR/HEAT BUT I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER HOW HARD IT BLOWS OUT, ONLY CONTROL OVER TEMPERATURE... WHAT COULD SOME POSSIBLE ISSUES BE?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    The blower fan isn't working. Check the fuse first. If it's not that, then see if the blower is getting voltage when it's on (voltage varies with blower speed). If the voltage is present at the blower connector, then the blower fan is probably bad. If it's not then it could be the control itself (manual or auto if there's climate control).
    What your feeling now is just the air that flows through when your moving forward.
  • bilk1bilk1 Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Infiniti G35. A/c works sometimes and then goes off.Comes back on several days later. Same with heater. You can feel cold/heat but the blower won"t work.
  • evanidaevanida Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    A/C not work. Took several visits to dealership. Was under warranty. Leaks not detected with dye. Evaporator cord replaced. Still no A/C. Condensor replaced. A/C working. Never had this problem with previous Impalas. Hope fixed permanently as don't want any problems when out of warranty.