Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porcupine damage

2»

Comments

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    Right. Hire Larry, Darryl and his other brother Darryl.
  • for someone to discuss damage to porcupines and how to repair them. Let's stay on topic, please.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    I wonder if the Nature Channel could build a series around this?

On a more serious note, what about a chain link fence that goes into the ground about a foot so they can't tunnel under it?

No, I've never lived in the country.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    first, have a good supply of donor porcupines for legs, organs, and the rest. you can sort through your stock of porcupines for that. always anesthesize your porcupines before sewing new parts on them, and try to put them where the old ones were.

this topic is rather like the credits for Monty Python and the Holy Grail, except the mooses told me they weren't involved in this post.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,015
    "The male porcupine wraps his legs around the lower radiator hose and begins to chew...the female stands by, ready to give warning should another car approach the herd..."

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

while Jim grabs the porcupine and wrestles it to the ground to save a two-dollar length of vacuum hose, I will step into the veranda and make a call to my friendly agent at Mutual of Omaha...........
  • karlkarl Posts: 34
    How about those ultrasonic critter repellers ? Do they work ?

Or, how about a dog ?

Or, how about setting out food (bait) containing lots of iron particles, then having strong magnetic fields around your car ?

Or, how about that South African security system that attaches a flamethrower to the underside of the car and scorches whatever's standing nearby ?

Or, how about a JATO rocket ? (since we're venturing into the realm of urban legend anyway...)

-Karl (here in Nevada, no porcupines to worry about... and the coyotes and wild horses don't seem to be able to open my garage door to chew on my brake lines.)
    ultrasonic repellents are proven duds. rockets and flamethrowers are high-maintenance in themselves, and will probably roast your Doc Martens one fine morning as you unlock the doors.

way back when, as a boy scout, a pair of raccoons swiped the bread bag overnight from under our tent and started in on it. shoo'ed them off.. and then decided to leave a final little treat. six fizzies wrapped up in a couple pieces of bread. the coons came back once, bumped and thumped down the trail after getting into my little surprise, and no further issues.

since fizzies are hard to get nowadays, try wrapping your hoses and lines in alka-seltzer. you'll surely be noticed when you splash through puddles ;)

razor wire should also be good, but you will probably find an extra hour or two of labor on your vehicle on every service from an oil change to pounding the dents back out of your doors, hood, and replacing the glass that mysteriously shattered when the service advisor bent over to pick up the clipboard he dropped under the vehicle :(
  • schweikbschweikb Posts: 111
    At this point there continue to be ocassional porcupine sightings, but no damage to cars in a long time. The neighborhood consensus is that it must be a seasonal thing that occurs in late spring. Hope so. I am the only one on the road who's had no damage. maybe they don't like my chioce of vehicles, my dog's barking, scent and excrement odor or maybe it's the territorial thing and I'm just past that invisible line in the clay. Hope so.
    they must read the posts and realize that you have mettle and friends.
2»
This discussion has been closed.