Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wax 'em!

Seriously, mine look as-new. Even after 11k miles.

-juice
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I fail to understand the concern expressed here about Subaru brake pads. On my '94 Golf, the pads lasted 40,000 km (24k miles) at best (MT, gentle use, a lot of engine braking) the rotors not much longer, the wheels were constantly filthy and they were only fairly quiet. On my Forester the pads were judged to be 10-15% worn at 12,000 km (AT, little engine braking, mainly city driving) the wheels show virtually no dust, and I have yet to hear a sound from the brakes. The feel is slightly spongy, but the modulation is great.

Ross
    I'm happy with my brakes, too. 39k miles and still going strong, never a squeek.

But my dad's Outback does squeek a bit first thing in the AM. I've heard it, though it goes away pretty much once you're out of the driveway.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I think my XT6 still has the original pads on it. I've had it for 30K and about 12-13 auto-xs plus numerous other spirited driving encounters w/o a problem. But my dad's '97 legacy goes through them like water, ever 13K-17K miles.

-mike
  • dnickeldnickel Posts: 17
    My 99 Forester is coming up to 60,000km and my 3 year / 60km warranty is about done. Should I get anything checked - there is no scheduled maintenance other than oil change. Someone suggested I get the car checked at a non Subaru dealer since the dealer may not want to find/do the warranty work because they don't get full payment or something?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Daren,

Unless you don't have any warranty issues, then I don't see any problem with taking it to a qualified mecahnic.

Ken
    If it ain't broke...why try to fix it?

Have you noticed anything wrong?

-juice
  • hansklosshanskloss Posts: 6
    Hi Guys!
    I have a brand new Subbie Outback 2001. What I have noticed is a whistling noise from my exhaust ( noise is coming from cat. converter towards the end of the car). Maybe it is because the car is new but you can hear it inside driving a car. It sounds like a high whistle or something ( not much but still annoying!)
    Has anyone had the same problem?
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    That is really unusual. I'd suggest letting a dealer check it out to see what is going on. Is the whistle constant or at certain speeds?

Patti
  • hansklosshanskloss Posts: 6
    patti3m- whistle depends on your engine rpm: on idle speed it is constant, when you accelerate it is going higher etc. Very strange and like I said: VERY ANNOYING!
    (the worst thing is that you can hear it INSIDE the car)
    I've heard of radio interference causing a whistle, but if yours is on the outside it could be an exhaust leak. In that case I'd have it checked right away because it's polluting unnecessarily.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    that if you accelerate properly, you can whistle to the music on the radio? ;-) Your dealer should be able to take care of it. Welcome to the club!

Greg
  • dnickeldnickel Posts: 17
    Nothing in particular wrong - I had a valve cover gasket go a few months ago that was fixed. (I want them to check that everything is fine now). And the standard clutch chatter on my first 1 or 2 shifts from a stop each morning.
    If it gives you piece of mind, you could have an outside mechanic do a basic inspection and service. I know Pep Boys does has a package for $300 where they basically do everything you'd do at a 60k mile service, minus an alignment.

I'm not sure if they have them up in Canada, though.

-juice
  • jim2741jim2741 Posts: 20
    Can anything be done about it? I own a 2000 RS 5sp. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm unable to determine any particular patterns with it. Any help would be great.

Thanks - Jim
    Yours should still be under the powertrain warranty, so I would ask a dealer to have a look. I'm not sure what would cause it.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    jim-

stock exhaust or aftermarket? when do you hear the pop?

-Colin
    Come to think of it, BugBomb's RS used to back fire on occasion. He had aftermarket exhaust, though.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    yes, mine pops and burbles quite a bit under engine braking. actually it pops a bit when I lift to shift up too.

if it's stock though we might be able to help Jim out.

-Colin
  • jim2741jim2741 Posts: 20
    Well, I thought about asking the dealer to take a look, but since that is the only very minor problem I'm having, I'm not sure I want them messing around with it. It is the stock exhaust system and if I had to say, it most frequently happens when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Jim