Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    ken-- actually no, it really isn't good enough. ;)

It is very risky but since I'm not under the car I'm not gambling anything other than scarred rotors.

-Colin
  • rleongrleong Posts: 41
    Juice,

Thanks for the reply. I have your 30k service photos saved on computer. It is really helpful for me and everyone else. I often read your messages and I still cannot believe the amount of knowledge you have about Subaru.

I'll probably drain & fill the radiator this weekend. Thanks again.

Ray
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Ray: thanks, but if you only knew the amount of stuff I don't know...

Like Mark's groan. Sound odd. Are the vents on? Does swapping from fresh air to recirc change anything?

jon: good start, but keep going with it - change the spark plugs, fuel filter, PVC valve, and air filter. Make sure ALL the hoses in the intake are in place. Many CELs are for emissions, and if there is not a perfect vacuum the lights will go on. You may also want to change the O2 sensor, which is often the cause.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Posts: 684
    I don't usually put enough mileage on the OB to justify a rotation more than the "summer tires off, snow tires on" job (and vice versa) every fall & spring. My snows are directional, and just to keep me from getting totally confused, I rotate everything the same way, front-to-rear/rear-to-front only... no lateral switching. Seems to work fine in terms of tire wear & handling.

My $.02 worth...
    Cheers!
    Paul
    Paul: if you keep them inside a garage, label them with chalk (RF, RR, LF, LR). I imagine you already have some way of keeping track.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Posts: 684
    oh, yeah... confusion-proof system, I have! Chalk 'em with not only which corner, but what YEAR they go on that corner! (RF 01 on the snows now, LR 02 on the summer skins when I pull them in November).

Cheers!
    Paul
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    FWIW, I'll probably just do the front to back (same side) when I rotate 'em next month on our OB. Interesting reading all of the opinions on rotating patterns.

-Brian
  • Thanks to all you respondents. What a discussion.

I have the stock aluminum wheels with *ignore* *ignore*
    I like Juices suggestion the best, it seems easier and a little safer.

To ad (lark6) I am in Allentown. The Forester has about 18,000 miles now. The first rotation was done around 8,000 miles by the dealership.

I will attempt to check in here from time to time.

Thanks to All.
  • will take some getting used to.
    Tires are Yoko Geos.
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    My $.02 - front to back has never lead to any tire problems for our '90. With my demo's, I don't usually have them long enough (with the exception of this one) for a tire rotation.

The only directional tires we used were on the SVX. I found that customer's were confused by it and often they were not rotated properly at local tire shops.

Patti
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    Hi Juice! I just love your use of keyboard diagrams. I'm sure some more folks would have loved your diagram of how to do the Samba in last weeks chat! It still has me smilin'

Patti
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    myfirstsube: That puts me about 45 minutes SSE from you. I've been rotating every 8K and recently did my 3rd - just went over 25K miles this weekend. I had a puncture on the way back from Phila. Airport about 6 weeks ago and replaced one Geolandar - a little bummed as I was hoping to replace all four at once with something different, like a Dunlop SPSport 5000.

You must have bought yours from Becker; they're well respected on this and other boards when it comes to sales and service - more so than the dealers in Bucks and Montgomery Counties. I may go there when the time comes to buy another Subaru.

Enjoy!

Ed
    I had almost forgotten! Shake those hips!

<
    >
    <
    >

:-)

-juice
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    SERVICING MY SUBARU

8500 Miles
    I: My Clutch Vibrates.
    Them: Normal.
    I: Illinois? I thought Subies were made in Indiana or Japan.
    Them: Consider it a feature -- free foot massage.

30k Miles
    I: My clutch chatters when cold.
    Them: Cannot duplicate.
    I: Maybe you should buy a Xerox.

36k Miles
    I: Still chattering when cold.
    Them: Leave overnight.

Next Day
    I: Well?
    Them: We heard it. But we wouldn't do anything at this time.
    I: What do you mean? With all that chattering, I think its trying to tell us something.
    Them: Our teeth do the same thing when we are cold.

48k Miles
    I: The clutch is STILL chattering, Now doing it when warm. Starting to chatter between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.
    Them: We have to tear it apart to see what'ts up.
    I (Clutching my wallet): Will Subaru cover that under warranty?
    Them: We won't know until we get it apart. If not, you pay.
    I: How much to tear it apart?
    Them: Almost as much as the entire repair labor.
    I: Can't you call Subaru to authorize it?
    Them: Only the service manager can do that, but he's on vacation.
    I (having a litle pun at THEIR expense, or will it be mine): Trying
    to avoid the chattering of customers, I presume.

49k Miles.
    I: Chatter, chatter, chatter.
    Them: Cease that infernal chatter. We'll cover it. But you have to pay for the pad.
    I: You meant the lining?
    Them: Same thing. Either way we line our pockets.
    I: Well, I hope you don't pad the bill.

Later
    I: Done?
    Them: Yes, and we coverd it in full. No charge.
    I (Charging out of there): Finally, thanks.

Start Car -- Drive
    I: Rats! No foot massage. Anyone know of something in the aftermarket?
    he he he!

Must've been the weak pressure plate. Glad you finally got it replaced.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Juice: It has happened when the vents are open, with circulation set to recirculate rather than fresh to help cool the car off faster. I don't remember if it has happened with the air set to fresh, but that shouldn't matter, should it? It is also only at highway speeds, and even then not every time. I was trying to hear if it happened on my drive home yesterday, so of course it didn't! I'll try to keep an ear open for it this weekend when I travel down to Philly.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I'm trying to think of what would make a "groan" sound. Power steering pump, maybe? Doesn't match your symptoms, though.

Maybe it's the A/C compressor?

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Could be a leaf in the blower, or vaccum controled flaps. I know there are a lot of flaps that are vaccum controlled and sometimes (don't ask me how) leaves work their way down into there and can casue these problems.

-mike
    Could be. Check in the cowl area, use a vacuum even to get any debris out. You can combine the vacuum with the vents at full blast to clean the interior vents.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Thanks guys.
    I can't see it being the power steering pump since it only seems to happen when I first start out at highway speeds. I figure if it was the compressor I would be hearing it more often as well. I'll try the vacuming tonight when I get home.

Mark