Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Is what I believe my dealer uses. At least that's what's on the windshield sticker. Personally, I like Valvoline 5W-30 for conventional oil and Mobil 1 for synthetic. The Mobil 1 goes in this weekend for the first time.

Greg
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    mike- Not to start a debate but not everyone breaks the law on a daily basis. And then there's a significant difference between speeding 10 mph over the limit and going out and killing somebody. Both may be illegal but only one will likely send you to jail.

-Frank P.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    paisan,

not once have I *ever* seen "$4500 transmission job". then again I've owned no porsches or similar exotics. normal cars that you and I drive do not cost nearly that much to repair unless you are getting seriously overcharged for both parts and labor.

and AC brings to light a particular point about extended warranty exclusions. re-charging the AC is often not covered, and there's many more exclusions.

-Colin
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    5w30 Havoline is what I heard also, used at the factory, too. Standard dino oil, SJ rated.

Removing the cat will increase emissions and most likely prevent the car from passing whatever safety or emissions tests your state may have. MD has a mandatory emissions test every two years, not sure about where you live.

Though I've seen turbos with straight pipes, no cat at all. People do it.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Maybe out in the mid-west. Here in metro NY like I said a std. fwd tranny job is right in the $2K range when its all said and done. I know a few tranny places and they all quoted in excess of $3000 for an AWD tranny on a subaru. Anywhere from $3000->$4K, tack on taxes and/or towing and you are up there. Maybe it's cheaper out where you are, in which case an extended warranty might be overkill. I'm just speaking of my own experience.

-mike
    I'm a bit curious, by why would an AWD tranny be any different than a FWD tranny in terms of repair cost?

-juice
    So you never speed? even in those 25mph zones??? When did anyone say anything about killing anyone? I was just saying that taking out your cat is no more or less illegal than a normal person's speeding. I just can't stand it when people get up and spout how this is illegal and that's illegal yadda yadda yadda, yet they themselves are guilty of breakin the law! :)

-mike
    Well let's see, first it's more complicated because the internals include the front diffy IIRC, more parts to hook up? maybe? I dunno, but every place I've ever spoken to about trannies hates working on AWD and charges accordingly.

-mike
    mike- I originally pointed out that removing the cat was illegal since many people may not be aware of that fact (I'd like someone considering the removal to at least make an informed decision).

I will however take issue with your statement that "taking out your cat is no more or less illegal than a normal person's speeding" Removing the cat is a federal crime and I suspect it carries a higher penalty than the fifty dollar fine typical with a simple speeding ticket.

-Frank P.
    Our 626's tranny incorporates the center diffy too. I can imagine the labor being a little more because it hooks up to an extra driveshaft (for the rear axle), but not enough to double the cost.

-juice
    Hmm, I dunno anyone who has gotten killed by one person taking off their catalytic converter on a car that wasn't even worth the price of the cat itself. However I do know of people killed by speeders. You make your decisions and I'll make mine...

-mike
  • I wasn't preaching about it being legal or illegal- merely trying to inform him of the fact.
    However, we ALL have to breathe the stinking, rotten polluted air a car without a cat would put out. My daughter is only six, it would be nice if she inherits a planet worth living in (which would include air to breathe).
    But on a car not worth the price of a cat, is it really right for someone to have to put a cat on it when the cat would be worth more than the car iteself? I mean if someone has a car, that's worth about $200, do you think a) they can afford to put on a $300 cat? b) do you think it's right to force them to put on said $300 cat? I'm more for the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law.

-mike
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    If the cat is worth more than the car then junk it.

A $200 car is more likely to need a cat than a newer car and I also like breathing cleaner air particularly since I suffer from asthma.

Cheers Pat.
    I guess you don't care that someone with a $200 car probably can't afford another car. And they say I'm a Conservative Republican. I thought that tree huggers that loved the environment also were supposed to be compassionate toward others? hmmm interesting :)

-mike
    And you apparently only feel it necessary to comply with those laws that don't inconvenience you. Hmmm interesting ;-)

-Frank P.
    What are laws? We don't need no stinking laws. :)

And yes all my cars have all their cats on them even though I'd perefer it not that way.

-mike
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    I do not make any apologies for caring about the environment, it is time we all did our part to reverse the destruction of this planet we are living on.

You need look no further than LA. where they will pretty soon need to wear gas masks full time because of the bloody smog, is this what you advocate by saying removing a cat. converter is no worse than speeding.

Cheers Pat.

PS. I can Identify with only being able to afford a clunker I have had my share but they were all safe and would have passed emissions.
  • rplumrplum Posts: 48
    Good luck trying to find a reputable shop that will remove your cat and weld in a straight pipe. I believe that if a shop in Michigan were caught doing such a thing the fine runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

to each their own, but it's not just as easy as walking in and asking for a catless track pipe.

RP